PDA

View Full Version : Some good news... and some very.. VERY bad news...

SeamusK
03-22-2004, 09:42 AM
The good news first: We brought the puppy home already..... just yesterday...
The bad... i cant stop crying hold on...... bbucks.... very sick.... bloody dhyaria hees at the animal hospital right now with my mother and brother... i was afraid to go... i gave buck a hug and a kiss before he left... and have been crying since then.... i... if he does not come back i... i don't know... he... we think he has parvo... and... i havnt gotten the results yet... but last night he thru up... alot.... and erlier this morning he bled.... it's very scary... i sat by the front door hugging him and kissing him and.. just ugh... i couldnt let him go... the time i was hugging him kissing him petting him... it was only 5 minutes.. but it felt like a billion.... I'm very scared.... i... hes my bestfriend... and i love him... i don't know what else to say im crying way too much.... ii love you buck... please be okay...

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-22-2004, 09:44 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. It does sound like Parvo. Hopefully the vets can take care of him and he will be back home soon!

SeamusK
03-22-2004, 10:00 AM
they have him hooked up to an I.V. and they will have to bring the new puppy in for shots.

Corinna
03-22-2004, 10:04 AM
sounds like parvo but Buck looks like hes too old for it . How old is he?

K9soul
03-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Oh Seamusk, I will pray for your Buck, that he pulls through this. I'm so so sorry to hear this happened. :(

*hugs* All will be in my thoughts and prayers.

wolfie
03-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry!! :( :( :( I really hope he gets better. Do you think he might have got it from the puppy? You might want to keep Jefe away from the pup too, just in case. I'm so sorry. :(

ramanth
03-22-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Buck!! :( I hope he pulls thru. *hugs*

SeamusK
03-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Not from the puppy, he was sick before i left to go pickup puppy. And i didnt think it was major..... But... yes.. Jefe and the puppy are going in for shots.. and buck will be in the hospital for 2 days min. 2 weeks max... they said we can go in and visit him whenever we want... i'm scared... but im going to go lay down now......

Edit: bucks only a year and a half old!

jazzcat
03-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm so sorry.

Prayers and good thoughts on the way for Buck.

aly
03-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Have you taken Buck or Jefe anywhere other dogs have been where they could have picked up the virus? I really don't think it is parvo. If Buck is a healthy dog and up to date on his shots (and especially since he's an adult), there's a very low chance of catching parvo. I bet he got into something. A parvo test can be done to him quickly - if the test is positive, they know for sure. If the test is negative, there is still a slight chance he has it, but he probably doesn't. So maybe you can ask your vet to do one. I can't imagine any vet who wouldn't do one right away with those symtoms.

Anyway, even if the puppy goes and gets shots, he is still VERY suseptible to catching it because he is so young and his immune system is not fully developed. You're gonna have to keep him away from everywhere where Buck went to the bathroom. If it were me, I would even quarantine the pup to one room so there's less of a chance of being exposed. Parvo stays in the environment for a long time and is very hard to kill the germs. At the shelter, we just throw away the bedding that parvo pups use because it is so hard to completely disinfect the virus.

Good luck and my prayers are with Buck.

Corinna
03-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Aly you beat me to my reply. Hope they find what it is very soon. thinking of you and the pups seamusk!!!

Stenograsaurus
03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Prayers are on the way for Buck and the rest of the pupsters.

lv4dogs
03-22-2004, 03:04 PM
good luck w/ buck. keep us posted on his results.

Has he always been current on his vaccines? I know vaccines are not 100% fool proof but that does help.

And I would keep your other dogs away from any area buck has been in contact with. If possible maybe have a friend or relative keep at least the pup (due to his age he is still very suseptible to catch anything that is contagious). good luck parvo sure is a scary disease.

MariaM
03-22-2004, 04:21 PM
I don't know what Parvo is so I really can't say much. But I sure hope he gets better! Last August when I was "babysitting" Oscar for a week in St. Louis, he got sick!! It was HORRIBLE because it was just my mom, my sister and I. He was throwing up and I was so worried. He has to take pills every night because he has epilepsy I think. I was so worried because that night he wouldnt' take the pills. He turned out to be okay though, I think it was just something he ate. I was awfully worried though, it wasn't even my dog, and I felt like it was all my fault! But I really hope your dog gets better, I'll pray for him.

Karen
03-22-2004, 04:52 PM
You, Buck and the other pups will be in our prayers. Poor Buck, hope they figure it out and get him fixed up quick!

CathyBogart
03-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Sending lots of good thoughts. Get well Buck! :(

dukedogsmom
03-22-2004, 05:46 PM
I hope Buck will get well very soon. And, I hope it's not Parvo. Let us know how he's doing. I know what it's like to have your best buddy sick at the vet.

Tonya
03-22-2004, 07:45 PM
I hope Buck gets better. Be very careful! My Rosco had his first 2 rounds of shots when he got Parvo. My mom's Niko was over a year old and had all but the last round of shots when he died of Parvo.

lovemyshiba
03-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I will keep all of your pups in my prayers. I certainly hope it's not Parvo--hopefully the vet wil find out what is making Buck sick, and make him better very soon!!

When you visit him, make sure you give him all of our love and hugs from everyone here at Pet Talk.:)

Please keep us updated!!

anna_66
03-22-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this:( I hope that everyone is going to be alright. Please let us know when you find anything out.

KYS
03-22-2004, 09:16 PM
I am so sorry.
I hope Buck will get well soon and
the puppy will be ok too.

SeamusK
03-22-2004, 09:19 PM
He tested positive for parvo, Yet he's not puking or bleeding from the rectum, he no longer has dharia eithor... They will have the test results in tomorrow, To see if he has enough white bloodcells to.. .live, I've been crying all day... I went to see him and he was laying down, Asleep, He noticed me and acted like i wasnt there.. He could of been excited but not able to get up... At the shelter, Thats not a good idea... You should bleach the hole room the puppy with parvo is in. And Buck has never had any shots before except a few from the person we got him from. Ugh, This is a very hard time for me.. Jefe was diagnosed with worms while we were at the vet. Why must this happen to me, I'm under way too much stress. The only thing that's been able to make me in the least bit better is the new puppy, But everything about her reminds me of buck and.. It's just so freaking sad for me, I'm not sure if i'll be able to come back to pet-talk for awhile, The only reason i'm on the computer right now is to try and get the thought of Buck not having enough white blood cells out of my mind, I try and be confident that he's okay.. But it just doesnt work.. I'm... i just cant keep up with this stuff... I'm so sad.. and i cannot stop crying, I love you buck. Please be okay!!!! mY brother eric( the one who helped me pick buck out ) is going to the vet tomorrow to see him, I love buck so much and i cant bare not to cry...... I'm gonna get up off the computer now, i don't wanna soke the keyboard in tears....

Cincy'sMom
03-22-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm so sorry about Buck. We will all be praying he makes it through this.

wolf_Q
03-22-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm so sorry about Buck! :( I'll be keeping him in my thoughts, I hope he pulls through this!

This is a reason I think getting all of the shots (especially when a puppy) is very important.

Get well soon Buck!

sabies
03-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear about Buck. You and he will be in my thoughts.

SeamusK
03-23-2004, 08:49 AM
THANK YOU GOD!!!! First of all: Buck has stopped vomitting and having dharia, I said that before. Now, They have said bucks up and standing and still hasnt puked or anything. And that He never had a fever in the first place. And he should be alright, They even said if they can get him to eat dry food today, We can come pick him up tonight... This is why i pray, And i do believe in miracles. And i'm not even a very religious kid.

... i thought to myself on the way to the vet, God please let buck be okay, Give me a sign... and, well.... we passed Buck's auto
shop......... I really had no idea how to feel after that...

Buck, You're a strong puppy. You pulled thru the night... I wanna see you back home. I hope they get you to eat.... This has been a VERY hard time for me, I had thought he let too many white bloodcells go, But they said that test isnt going to make much of a difference now. It will, But not a ton.. If he doesn't have enough white blood cells, He will have to stay there a few more days. If he does. He'll be coming home tonight.. let me pray that he can Eat, And have just enough white blood cells.... Thank you all for the help, I really needed it.. This is why i come to pet talk, Your all a bunch of VERY nice people! yet again, Thanks.

aly
03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by SeamusK
At the shelter, Thats not a good idea... You should bleach the hole room the puppy with parvo is in.

Are you responding to what I said about my shelter? We do bleach EVERYTHING, but we throw the bedding away. That is MUCH SAFER than bleaching it and keeping and possibly affecting half the shelter with parvo. Trust me, we are very safe and clean.

Buck has age on his side. It is much harder for puppies to recover from parvo. Your vet can do a blood transfusion if Buck's white blood cells go too low. I had a foster puppy that dropped her white blood cells so low, she was barely alive. She had 2 blood transfusions and was saved after about a week in the ER and the normal vet.

You just can't ever give up hope.

ramanth
03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I hope Buck recovers quickly.

aly
03-23-2004, 09:02 AM
I forgot to mention that after recovering, dogs still shed the parvo virus for 6 months and are contagious to other dogs. Jefe will most likely be okay, but I am worried about the puppy catching it. Even if Jefe doesn't catch it, he can still carry the virus to other dogs. I wouldn't take your dogs anywhere there are other dogs for the next 6 months :(

SO GLAD to hear Buck is better.

SeamusK
03-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by aly
Are you responding to what I said about my shelter? We do bleach EVERYTHING, but we throw the bedding away. That is MUCH SAFER than bleaching it and keeping and possibly affecting half the shelter with parvo. Trust me, we are very safe and clean.

I apoligize thurly if i seemed offensive when i said what i said about the shelter before. I had just thought you said that if a dog has parvo you threw away the beds, You never had mentioned bleaching before. That clears this up. Again, Sorry if i seemed offensive before. I didnt wanna say anything bad about you, Or the shelter. Your a nice person, And i don't wanna make enemys with you. =)

aly
03-23-2004, 09:30 AM
No worries! I wasn't mad at all! I'm sorry if I sounded defensive :)

Now its time to celebrate that Buck will be home soon!

SeamusK
03-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I cried all day yesterday, Now lets hope i can cheer all day today.

lovemyshiba
03-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you got some good news!!
Lets hope it continues!!!!

Feel better soon Buck!!!!!!

FizzGiggs_Mommy
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
And Buck has never had any shots before except a few from the person we got him from

I dont mean to be rude but could this have been prevented ifBuck had all of his anually shots. My vet gives my dogs a 7 way shot that protects them from Parvo.

I have yearly shots done to protect my boys from anything and everything.

I do hope he is better soon.

wolfie
03-23-2004, 10:18 AM
That's wonderful that Buck is going to be okay! I hope he is able to come home with you soon. :)

K9soul
03-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm so relieved and so happy to hear that Buck is improving, and that hopefully he has pulled out of the worst of it. I too worry about Jefe and the new puppy, but I'm sure you will do everything you can to keep them safe.

I also hope you have the means to get them all vaccinated if at all possible. I know if you are totally reliant on your parents, you may be limited in how much you can do. I'm not sure of your situation and certainly don't want to pry :). I'm sure you want to do everything you can to protect them.

Keep us updated further on everything. Still sending prayers your way.

SeamusK
03-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Well, The puppies only 6 weeks old. And we did just give her her first vacination, But it's not going to protect her until she has all 4 shots. So we are praying and keeping our fingers crossed. Thinking good thoughts.

lv4dogs
03-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by aly
I forgot to mention that after recovering, dogs still shed the parvo virus for 6 months and are contagious to other dogs. Jefe will most likely be okay, but I am worried about the puppy catching it. Even if Jefe doesn't catch it, he can still carry the virus to other dogs. I wouldn't take your dogs anywhere there are other dogs for the next 6 months :(

SO GLAD to hear Buck is better.

please remember to keep this in mind!!! Your puppy can still contact it & so can your other dog if he also was not properly vaccinated.

I am glad Buckis doing good & I hope he ocntinues to but please vaccinate your dogs every year.

SeamusK
03-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Buck will be coming home Tomorrow morning. The puppy and jefe have been fine so far... let's just hope it stays like that.

KYS
03-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Glad Buck will be coming home.
Glad both Buck and the pup are fine now.

lovemyshiba
03-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear Buck will be coming home!!!!
I hope everyone continues to stay healthy!!

wolf_Q
03-28-2004, 10:34 PM
First of all, I'm so glad that Buck is feeling better!!!

I'm really worried that you are going to be having him around a 6 week old puppy after he has had parvo. That's really not a good idea at all. :(