PDA

View Full Version : Perkins...

manda_moo87
03-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Amanda. On Friday (19th) I had to put my cat Perkins (who was cat of the day on March 2, 2004) to sleep...:(

It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, I loved him more than anything in the world. At the beginning of the month my Mom and I noticed Perkins had lost a lot of weight, wasn't eating as much as usual and had very little energy. We took him to the Vet not hoping it would be anything serious...we were wrong. The Vet said he was dehydrated, under-weight, then she listened to his heart she said it sounded bad it was all irregular. She gave us some antibiotics for him, hoping it would help. Then my Mom asked what were his chances? The Vet said it was hard to say, but he didn't look good. He could live as short as 6 months...but no longer than 5 years.

When I got home I cried my eyes out. The thought of losing my baby, my one and only cat absolutley crushed me...After he was on the antibiotics he was starting to look a little bit better but no huge improvement. I was so afriad, not knowing what would happen. As Wednesday approached we knew he was fading on us. We wouldn't touch his food or water...all he did was sleep. We tried so hard to get him to eat but he just didn't have the strength in him. It even hurt him to be picked up and held because he was so thin. The next day...we was worse...no change. Then Friday morning...my Mom came in my room and woke me up. She told me she had to talk to me about something...of course right away I knew it was Perkins. She said that when she let him upstaires this morning he couldn't even climb the staires...the spark of life in his eyes was gone. I cried my eyes out...knowing what we had to do...I tried to compose myself as I walked over to my darling boy who was curled up in his bed. He looked so sad...Mom called the vet and booked an appointment...As I sat next to him I told him so many things, I told him how much I loved him, how I would miss him, I thanked him for coming into our lives and for so many things. Just before we left I sang him the song I sang to him when he was a baby..."You Are My Sunshine". Oh how I didn't want my Sunshine taken away...

We left...

At the Vet the moment I walked into the office I burst into tears as I held him closely. My Mom and stroked him and talked to him for the last time. Then the Vet opened the door and we took him into the back room. He told us the procedure and asked if we wanted to stay with him while the euthanized him...we did. The injected the needle as we stroked him....he was gone in seconds. My baby was gone...

We brought him home and buried him in the backyard with some of his special toys...

It's only been almost 3 days since he passed away...life is so strange without him. The house is so quiet...especially at dinner time. A huge chunk of my heart is gone...I feel so helpless...I wish so much that we could have saved him. But I feel somewhat at peace...knowing he is out of pain and not suffering...I also feel lucky that I was warned about how he may not make it and that I was able to spend a lot of quality time with him in his last week. I hope that someday I can see him again. Not a day will go by in my life where I don't think of my wonderful cat Perkins, he was wonderful cat. I am so thankful to God that he was in my life. He brought so much happiness and laughter into our household.

I'm hoping that in the near future I will get another cat, but at this point it doesn't like that will be happening for a while. My Mom isn't too keen on it. I think it might help my grieving, but maybe not. I don't know. :P Thank you for listening. All you cat lovers who have cats, please today give your cat an extra hug or kiss....in memory of Perkins.

Perkins

May. 15, 1995 - March. 19, 2004

trayi52
03-22-2004, 01:07 AM
Oh my god, I am sooo very sorry to hear about Perkins. I just know this was so very hard for you. I just cried all the way through your post.

I know right now may not be a good time to get another cat, but when the time comes you will know. I lost my Pyewackett about two years ago, and it was a while before I could think about getting another. That was decided for me by my daughter who brought me a tiny little kitten home in a tissue box. She was all helpless, and soo very young. Had to be bottlefed, and that done it. I feel in love with her, this cat by the name of Grover.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this, and you will find a lot of comfort here at Pet Talk. Look around and you will see what wonderful caring people are here, and will cry right along with you. Just as I am crying now.

My heartfelt prayers are with you in this time of loss. Be comforted in knowing that Perkins is in a better painfree place and will be watching out for you.

Willie

slick
03-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Hello Amanda and welcome to Pet Talk. I so sorry your first thread has to be such a sad one. I was just looking at Perkins as Cat of the Day and all I could say is AWWWWW. What a beautiful organie. I also see you are from the Island. I live in New Westminster.

I know your heart is aching now but take comfort in knowing that Perkins is watching over your every move and is saving a place for you when the time comes.

RIP little Perkins.

Killearn Kitties
03-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk Amanda. I'm sorry that it is in such sad circumstances. Perkins was very ill and although it is heart-rending to see them suffer, sometimes as you say yourself, it helps to have a little time to say goodbye. Your little Perkins was gorgeous. May all the happy times you shared bring you comfort over the coming days.

Rest in peace, sweet Perkins.

jazzcat
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Amanda, I'm so sorry about Perkins. I just read about him on COTD and he sounds like a wonderful cat. He's very handsome too.

I'm sure you miss him very much but know that he is now pain free and playing at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest in Peace sweet Perkins.

ramanth
03-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Oh Perkins.. you beautiful orangie. :( I'm so sorry for your loss.

catlover4ever
03-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi Amanda, I just want to let you know that I am so very sorry for your loss. --- Meg

RedHedd
03-22-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Another beautiful orangie at the Rainbow Bridge. Play hard and enjoy your time at the bridge, sweet Perkins. Say hi to my beloved Goldie - another beautiful and beloved orangie.

chrischloe
03-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely cat Perkins..I know how you are feeling because I too have lost my cat Chloe a few days ago. My life feels empty without her and I cry for her everyday. The house is so quiet without her.

I'm told that time is a great healer, but until the pain goes away just try to remember all the good times that you had with Perkins and I'm sure that as the days go by things will become a little easier, just take each day as it comes and hold on to your treasured memories of Perkins.

Chloe and Perkins R.I.P

Within our hearts forever.

allowat
03-22-2004, 05:09 PM
He was such a beautiful boy. I feel for your loss at this time. Me and wife (Craftlady) lost an orangie recently as well, Butterscotch. You have my sympathies and condolensces.

Steffi N
03-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Amanda, my sympathies are with you on the loss of your Perkins, who you loved so much. May you have comfort from your memories of happier times. Someday when you are ready another cat will come to share your life.
Rest in Peace, dear Perkins.

manda_moo87
03-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Thank you all for your kind words...:) it all helps. Also thanks for the welcomes as I am new here to pet talk.

Steffi N
03-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Amanda, I hope you will stay with us and get to know the wonderful people and pets on Pet Talk.

I tried to post a link to the picture of Perkins in his halo, it is precious. Just copy the URL to your browser window.

rg_girlca
03-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I'm so terribly sorry it is under such sad circumstances.

I know it is difficult to say goodbye to a pet you held so dear.
I pray and hope that you find comfort and peace in the fond memories you made together.

Rest in Peace dear Perkins.

krazyaboutkatz
03-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Amanda, welcome to Pet Talk. I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Perkins.:( He sure was a gorgeous orangie. I know it's hard to say goodbye to such a dear friend but you'll be together again some day. RIP sweet Perkins and please say hello to my Pepper for me.

Here's his halo picture. I uploaded to imagestation so others will be able to see it. I hope you don't mind.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p538d77d7b0d18ea71b66fe47efcda0ce/f940fde6.jpg

manda_moo87
03-23-2004, 01:00 AM
No, I don't mind at all...:)

catmandu
03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
The Found Cats and I are so sorry about Perkins , and may he find peace for Eternity , with the Cat Angel Army , in Pet Heaven. RIP Perkins.