PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dog??

MariaM
03-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Well I am thinking about doing some serious research on different breeds of dogs. Im looking for one about the size of a border collie, more or less. We have a fenced yard and a farm a few minutes out of the little village. Any ideas of what I should look for?

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:12 PM
It all depends...do you want a dog with more or less indoor/outdoor energy? Do you want a long-haired, short-haired, or "in between" dog? Do you want a dog that is more affectionate and dependent, or one that is a little more reserved and independent [and no, I'm not saying independent dogs aren't affectionate :p]?

There are tons of things to consider when trying to decide on a dog breed. In my opinion, I'd head down to the shelter to meet some dogs. I honestly don't think breed should be the deciding factor...I mean, you could have a stubborn Golden and an docile Husky...or an unenergetic Border Collie and a hyperactive Saint Bernard-- it all depends on the individual dog.

But honestly, the best advice I can give is head out to a local shelter and "mingle" with the dogs there. :)

Good luck and keep us updated!

MariaM
03-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Well I also like the fur length of border collies and golden retrievers and all. I don't think the border collie would get sufficient excercise though and I think goldens might be too big. I was thinking sheltie, but I've heard they're noisy. I'm just trying to find a dog that will fit me best. (and of course one that my mother likes!!)

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
I'm just trying to find a dog that will fit me best. (and of course one that my mother likes!!)

Again, I have to say...go to your local shelter!

You'll be able to meet all kinds of different breeds and different individuals of those breeds. You can't base your whole decision on a few dogs and what you've heard about a certain breed...because you could pass up that perfect dog for you.

MariaM
03-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will ask my dad if we can go to the SPCA soon, I've only been there once in my life!! (dad's on my side) =) But if we find one I like, hopefully I can bring mom to show her!

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will ask my dad if we can go to the SPCA soon, I've only been there once in my life!! (dad's on my side) =) But if we find one I like, hopefully I can bring mom to show her!

Good luck! But remember, keep a level-head when you go -- seeing all those dogs can be tough, and you'll want to take every single one of them home. Make sure if you really do find a dog you want, that it's really what you're looking for and really fits well with you and your lifestyle.

Again, good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Well I slightly disagree, I do agree with going to a shelter, but I disagree because there are all different breeds to suit different people.

And if you can't base your opinion on a certain breed because you've met a few, then what is the point in reading a book about the breed, and I think if every breed could possibly be the same as any other breed there would be no reason what so ever to research.

Jasper is everything I have read about boxers, he is clown ish, fearless, smart, alert...etc, and I have never met one in my life besides him, but based my opinion on the breed by talking to other owners and reading books, because even though every dog has its own personality, there are sill unique qualities in each breed.

binka_nugget
03-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Visiting your local animal shelter would be a good idea. Whether you pick a specific breed or not, you may be able to find it at the shelter. We found Kaedyn there. I wasn't even looking for a Sheltie, just a second dog but I fell in love with him and couldn't leave without filling out the papers.

I was thinking sheltie, but I've heard they're noisy.

Shelties are known to be barkers but I know of some who don't bark much. Before we got Kaedyn, Kai rarely barked. And if he did, I'd be able to stop him just by saying "Quiet". Kaedyn on the other hand, loves to talk. But he's starting to learn when it's okay to bark and when it's not. It just comes back to training.

Moose
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Well I slightly disagree, I do agree with going to a shelter, but I disagree because there are all different breeds to suit different people.

And if you can't base your opinion on a certain breed because you've met a few, then what is the point in reading a book about the breed, and I think if every breed could possibly be the same as any other breed there would be no reason what so ever to research.

Jasper is everything I have read about boxers, he is clown ish, fearless, smart, alert...etc, and I have never met one in my life besides him, but based my opinion on the breed by talking to other owners and reading books, because even though every dog has its own personality, there are sill unique qualities in each breed.

I agree with what you're saying, but I have had other experiences. I've met a quite a few Labs that act nothing like Moose...and Moose is what I would call the "ideal" Lab. He fits the "textbook personality" and "textbook appearance."

Eh, what do I know? :p

DogLover9501
I also forgot to add somethings.

Even if MariaM goes to a shelter and mingles with the dogs, and finds one that seems to suit her, without research there could be other qualities in that dogs breed that she wasn't ready for because it didn't come out of the dog when it was at the shelter.

But I would maybe suggest going to a local shelter, and if you find a dog you like, maybe research it first, or if its mixed research the breeds that are in it, because most of the time the breeds are alot like books and things say about them.

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:29 PM
I agree with what you're saying, but I have had other experiences. I've met a quite a few Labs that act nothing like Moose...and Moose is what I would call the "ideal" Lab. He fits the "textbook personality" and "textbook appearance."

I bet Moose is probably different than my old black lab lol because he wasn't much like we expected but still had some lab qualities, but he was VERY stubborn, hyper(even at the age of 8) and seemed to like to annoy people :p

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:29 PM
I also forgot to add somethings.

Even if MariaM goes to a shelter and mingles with the dogs, and finds one that seems to suit her, without research there could be other qualities in that dogs breed that she wasn't ready for because it didn't come out of the dog when it was at the shelter.

But I would maybe suggest going to a local shelter, and if you find a dog you like, maybe research it first, or if its mixed research the breeds that are in it, because most of the time the breeds are alot like books and things say about them.

I never said not to research it...that's why I mentioned that if she does find a dog she likes, she needs to make sure it "fits" with her, her family, and her lifestyle. I guess I just assumed she knew what I meant by that...:p

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:31 PM
:o Sorry lol That part wasn't actually a respond to yours though, just added it, didn't realize it was already said, I guess she knows that part for sure now :p

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:31 PM
I bet Moose is probably different than my old black lab lol because he wasn't much like we expected but still had some lab qualities, but he was VERY stubborn, hyper(even at the age of 8) and seemed to like to annoy people :p

That's my point...yes, some Labs are very much "to the book," but there are always those that don't quite follow the "book" exactly. That's why I was saying that you can't completely cross a breed off your list because of something you read...it all depends on the individual dog.

MariaM
03-21-2004, 11:33 PM
THanks so much for all the advice! I had another question though. I was reading on the internet about bonding with dogs when they are like 2 months old. It was saying not to get dogs under 2 months, but not much over because there is an important bonding period there. But lots of people get older dogs from shelters and they fit right in so.... I don't know what to think. :confused:

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Moose
That's my point...yes, some Labs are very much "to the book," but there are always those that don't quite follow the "book" exactly. That's why I was saying that you can't completely cross a breed off your list because of something you read...it all depends on the individual dog.

Yeah that's true, I guess I took it all a different way when I first read it :o

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:37 PM
THanks so much for all the advice! I had another question though. I was reading on the internet about bonding with dogs when they are like 2 months old. It was saying not to get dogs under 2 months, but not much over because there is an important bonding period there. But lots of people get older dogs from shelters and they fit right in so.... I don't know what to think. :confused:

I haven't heard of bonding periouds, but older dogs do take a bit longer, especially if they didn't have a nice owner in the past, but they do bond with you, and depend on you and learn to love you, sometimes it may take more time, but it happens ;)

MariaM
03-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Well I was on a website someone in my Getting a Dog thread suggested. I hadn't heard of it before but they were talking about Oprah getting her dog "too late" or something. I didn't really know what to make of it because I've heard of many happy endings from shelters and all. I wanted a younger dog anyway though =) I guess we'll see, and I'll get back to you. The shelter is 25 minutes away though, so I'll have to see when we're going in.

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:40 PM

Dogs under 2 months should still be with their mothers...if you end up getting a dog from a breeder and he/she offers to send the puppy home with you before it hits 8 weeks, I'd turn the other direction and walk away. In my opinion, I still think 8 weeks is a little young...but hey, that's just me.

As for the age issue and when to get a dog -- I adopted Moose when he was almost 2 years old...and I adopted Zoey a little over a month ago and she is a little over *edit* 1 [sorry, it's late here! :o] *edit* year old. With Moose, there was no problem...the "bonding issue" was a snap. Although, he's a Lab...so he's totally outgoing and affectionate toward anyone. Zoey took a little more time and we are still finding out new things about her personality everyday. She's coming out of her shell and has really started to create a close bond with both myself and my fiance.

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Well I was on a website someone in my Getting a Dog thread suggested. I hadn't heard of it before but they were talking about Oprah getting her dog "too late" or something.

Too late? In my opinion, there's no such thing. :) Older dogs may take a little longer to get adopted since many people are out there looking for puppies and younger dogs, but given the right owner and proper care, they can become just as great of pets as any other age dog.

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Moose
Dogs under 2 months should still be with their mothers...if you end up getting a dog from a breeder and he/she offers to send the puppy home with you before it hits 8 weeks, I'd turn the other direction and walk away. In my opinion, I still think 8 weeks is a little young...but hey, that's just me.

As for the age issue and when to get a dog -- I adopted Moose when he was almost 2 years old...and I adopted Zoey a little over a month ago and she is a little over 2 years old. With Moose, there was no problem...the "bonding issue" was a snap. Although, he's a Lab...so he's totally outgoing and affectionate toward anyone. Zoey took a little more time and we are still finding out new things about her personality everyday. She's coming out of her shell and has really started to create a close bond with both myself and my fiance.

:eek: Brooke I didn't know Zoey was 2 years old, I thought she was a puppy! Also my aunt and uncle may be getting a dobie, it's one of their choices, any advice :p ;)

Also I agree, dogs shouldn't be taken from their mother until 8+ weeks old!

MariaM
03-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Again, thanks everyone for helping. I will keep doing research and stuff. I really hope to get a dog! I have to go to bed though, its getting late here. talk to you all later!

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Jasper's breeder said to me that she lets the puppies go at 7 weeks :eek: and 8 weeks if they have to be shipped on the plane :eek:

I think it should be 8-9 weeks and 10-12 for the plane!!

DogLover9501
03-21-2004, 11:46 PM
MariaM I hope you find the right dog soon :D GoodNight

Moose
03-21-2004, 11:48 PM
:eek: Brooke I didn't know Zoey was 2 years old, I thought she was a puppy! Also my aunt and uncle may be getting a dobie, it's one of their choices, any advice :p ;)

:o Sorry, that was a typo...she's not, lol. She's a little over a year. [Hey, give me a break...it's late here and I should be sleeping ;)].

That's so great for your aunt and uncle! Of course I have some advice, but we're still learning too! :p:D

Kfamr
03-22-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm have a hard time understanding what doglover is talking about but anywayss...

I say, go to the shelter.

Go often. As often as you can. Meet the different dogs, even if they're not the breed or type you're looking for. It could be a Heinz 57 mutt, and be PERFECT for your family. I'd even say don't even look at the breed or the age(unless of course, coming from a breeder, they should be 8 weeks old.) Look at the dog itself, as an individual, it's personality.

As I said go often. Pick and chose favorites of yours, and bond with them there. Maybe volunteer so you can have closer time with the animals.

Of course, dogs will be adopted out and come in alot, don't get upset if one favorite leaves, because one will eventually come in and you'll know that it's the one. Drag your mom, and dad along. Bring everyone in your family on adoption day, if you do plan on adopting. This way no one's a stranger to the dog when it comes home.

Don't give up with your parents. Don't fight or argue over it, because that will just make them angry and you upset. Prove yourself to them, maybe try helping out with a neighbors dog, if any around.

If you can't tell, I have experience with this. It took me 10 or so years to get my first dog. 5 or so to get my second.

Kfamr
03-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Jasper's breeder said to me that she lets the puppies go at 7 weeks :eek: and 8 weeks if they have to be shipped on the plane :eek:

I think it should be 8-9 weeks and 10-12 for the plane!!

I don't think they should go on a plane at all.

MariaM
03-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah lol, I shouldn't even be thinking about what breed before I know I can *actually* get one! But still, might as well think ahead and do all the research. I might take care of my friends dog for a week in the summer, but I haven't mentioned it to my parents yet. I'm sure my mom would say "Well, lets see how that goes and then we'll see" but I was hoping to get a dog before late July. But still, a late dog is better than no dog. =) Unfortunately, I can't volunteer because it is a 25 minute drive away. And even if I *did* find a way to go, the volunteer hours are on Thursday, when I go in to Yorkton for Rythmic Gymnastics. But I'll definately keep that in mind. What if I decide to get a puppy from a breeder though? Any advice for that, just in case?

wolfsoul
03-22-2004, 05:26 PM
I agree to go to the shelter and look around and see who you can find. :) But remember that there is a big time process involved. My city seems to be a very dog-unfriendly place, and yet there are waiting lists on every dog in the shelter with dozens of names on each of them. It might take some time, but you just have to make the shelter believe that you are the best home for that dog that you want. :D If you do some more research and your heart is suddenly set on a dog that is virtually impossible to find in a shelter, then try researching some of the "reputable" breeders in your area or around. :)

I don't think they should go on a plane at all.
Why not? I thought that you were one of the people trying to convince Jynnelle that it was okay for Baby's old owners ship Baby to Ontario. :confused: Anyways I don't think shipping is bad. The airlines take very good measures to ensure that the dogs are safe and they have many rules to make sure the dogs are comfortable, that the kennels are large enough for the dog to stand in and well ventilated, and that the animal cargo area is at the perfect temperature. Plus all the dog have to be vet checked before a flight and have valid proof of that so sickness is not spread.

Kfamr
03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

Why not? I thought that you were one of the people trying to convince Jynnelle that it was okay for Baby's old owners ship Baby to Ontario. :confused:

Not that I recall.

I think it's okay to ship an animal to someone they already know, but to ship an animal to somewhere they've never been with new people I think is rather cruel and probably very confusing for the dog or animal.

wolfsoul
03-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I think it's okay to ship an animal to someone they already know, but to ship an animal to somewhere they've never been with new people I think is rather cruel and probably very confusing for the dog or animal.
That's pretty much the same thing as going and picking up a dog from a shelter or breeder though lol. It still involves the puppy or dog leaving with someone it doesn't know, whether in a plane, a train, a car, a bus, etc. I think that no matter what the situation is, you'll always be the evil one for a couple weeks because you just took him/her away from his mommy and brothers and sisters and now you're throwing strange objects around and feeding him weird food and putting him in wet stuff for the first time..but that's just my opinion.

Kfamr
03-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
That's pretty much the same thing as going and picking up a dog from a shelter or breeder though lol. It still involves the puppy or dog leaving with someone it doesn't know, whether in a plane, a train, a car, a bus, etc. I think that no matter what the situation is, you'll always be the evil one for a couple weeks because you just took him/her away from his mommy and brothers and sisters and now you're throwing strange objects around and feeding him weird food and putting him in wet stuff for the first time..but that's just my opinion.

Not exactly though.

The dog is going on a plane, being carried in a kennel by people it doesn't know, and then arriving to someone it doesn't know.

A puppy from the shelter, or breeder near you, has time to interact with the family/ people.

I see where you're coming from though, I just don't think it's all that similar. :p