PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new mommy of......

apcrs5122
03-21-2004, 04:01 PM
a horse named Holly!:D I officialy bought her on the 14th, but never got around to posting, so I'm doing it no;)

I'm really excited being able to say that she's mine because I paid for her with my own money. I bought her from my cousin, Elizabeth, and her husband, James. She still lives there with them as they rent a house, barn, and some stalls where they live. I have to muck but it's not as bad as it seems;) I'm planning on riding her this summer at the shows I go to in western pleasure, and once she's ready, start working barrel patterns. We're hoping that she'll be my next racing horse, she has the potential and the speed. She just learned how to lope/gallop/canter (different words for the same thing) and she doesn't steer very well when we are. A week ago from this weekend my mom and I went up and my aunt, Elizabeth and Garrett (Elizabeth's baby *born in August*), my mom and myself went riding Saturday and Sunday up where the horses live. Yesterday we went riding also and we had more company....eight all together:)

I'm seeing so much improvement on Holly by just riding her a couple times, and I'm excited because I will be able to say 'I taught her that' and be proud;)

We meant to take my camera yesterday but forgot, but the next time we go up we will, and I promise pictures!:D You all can get on me if I don't;) :p

Kfamr
03-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Omg.. this is so weird...

Before I even opened the thread, I read the title and after I did I said " A horse!" :eek: :eek:

CONGRATS! We'll need pictures ASAP!

Cataholic
03-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Omg.. this is so weird...

Before I even opened the thread, I read the title and after I did I said " A horse!" :eek: :eek:

Well, it is better than what I thought! He he..congrats!

apcrs5122
03-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Well, it is better than what I thought! He he..congrats!

:eek: No no no no;)

It's spring break this week, so we will be up there (it's about 50 minutes away) and the camera is deffinatly coming with us!:D

Desert Arabian
03-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Cool! Congrats! We need pics!!!! :D Is Holly a QH!? What color!?

Gallop and canter are not the same thing...hehe. ;)

green_chameleon_girl
03-21-2004, 08:34 PM
AW YOUR SOO LUCKY!!!!!!!:D how much do horses cost? lol I always wondered..

Anyways CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

trayi52
03-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Oh you are going to love riding your own horse! I love my horse Sugar. I haven't got to ride her for about four months though.
Isn't that just the best way to relax and forget everything? Be sure to get pictures next time!!

Willie:)

Desert Arabian
03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl
how much do horses cost? lol I always wondered..

The horses themselves cost anywhere from "Free" up to low millions. If you go on www.equine.com there are many show jumping and dressage breeds such as Dutch Warmbloods, Thoroughbreds, etc for sale for over $60,000. It mainly depends on the amount of training (professional) they have been through, awards and cash amounts it's won in show, breeding quality, health, background, etc. Serious show people who compete in major shows such as the Rolex in Kentucky or the Olympics spend high thousands to low millions on horses.

You can look around the internet for an equine rescue orginazation and find yourself a wonderful equine companion for a small amount of money usually never over $900. I have even seen some free to a good home, mainly because they are un-rideable due to old age or health concerns/injury-but they still provide wonderful companionship!! :)

apcrs5122
03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys!:) We're going up today, and I charged my camera batteries last night;)

I had always thought gallop and canter were the same, we almost never use the term gallop, just canter and lope.

Holly is a quarter horse, and she's bay with a little itsy bitsy white snip, and a right hind white sock. When she was a baby she had a pretty good sized star, but as she got older it faded and now it's only a couple of white hairs:p She'll turn 5 on April 30th, so she's still pretty young.

Since I bought Holly from family and she was going to stay in the family, they sold her to me for only $500 which is a really good deal;)

My sister who's 20 is thinking about going with us, and hopefully she will! She hasn't rode more than about 3 times, but she really likes it and now that I have Holly she will have the chance to go riding more.

Pictures for everyone!!!!:D

ramanth
03-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Congrats!!

(Saw Hidalgo yesterday and I am back to wanting a horse really bad ;) :D )

Desert Arabian
03-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Aww, Holly sounds like a sweetie pie! I can't wait to see pictures!! Give her a carrot and sugar cube for me!! hehe! :D 5 years old, wow that's young, since horses aren't fully mature until around 3- 4 years old- she just turned into a lady!!

PICTURES ASAP!!!!!!!!

Canter is three beats and gallop is four beats, that's what makes them different. Once a horse is in a fast canter it is hard to get them into a true gallop, you have to slow them down then command them to gallop, mainly because of their foot movements...:D

bluekat
03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
You's so lucky!!!:D Congrats!!!:D I've always wanted a horse too...but since we won't have any place to put one I can't have one:( Can't wait for the pictures!

apcrs5122
03-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Canter is three beats and gallop is four beats, that's what makes them different. Once a horse is in a fast canter it is hard to get them into a true gallop, you have to slow them down then command them to gallop, mainly because of their foot movements...:D

Oh right!!! I remember now;) She is only just learning much of anything, and we are just working on the lope movement/speed. Once she gets it down better, then we'll work on different speeds, etc;)

Yep, she is a youngin' lol, but she's great, and I love the way that she looks back at you when you're brushing her (she absolutly loves being brushed) like 'Hey whatcha doin'?':D

Ok...I lied...no pictures yet:( A couple of the horses got out, and we were caught up in trying to get them caught and we just plain forgot about getting the camera out (don't worry, the horses were caught...with the help of a bucket of graid;)). I'm going up about every other day, and we'll most likely be up tomorrow, and I promise this time there will be at least one picture:) :p

dukedogsmom
03-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Congrats! I've got a horse too. He'll be 20 in May. I've had him since he was a baby. We must have pics asap!

ChrisH
03-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Congratulations! :D

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :)

Foam
03-23-2004, 09:21 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! Hurry up with those pictures, dude!

:D

slleipnir
03-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Gallop and canter are not the same thing...hehe. ;)

I always thought a gallop was a fast canter..?

Anywho, congrats ^_^

Tina
03-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures:)

I miss having a horse, but I know there is no way we could right now. Maybe in a few more years.

petlover
03-24-2004, 05:12 PM

Gallop and canter are not the same thing...hehe. ;) [/B]

hehe yeah, canter and Gallop aren't the same thing.:p :p