PDA

View Full Version : Can I have your Opinion??

Aspen and Misty
03-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I have a job garenteed to me at the local Pet Store. Me and the manager are really close friends. The only thing is our pet store sells Puppies, and hamsters, and rats and other critters. I don't know if I should work there and try to educate the people who are going to buy the animals a little more, or if I should pass up the job because of them selling puppies. They do kinda of take a stand and don't buy any puppies from Pa (the worst puppy mill state) and they only buy from breeders who breed under 3 breeds of dogs. So if you had like 6 diffrent breeds you breed, they wouldn't buy from you. I'm kinda stuck on what I wanna do. The money would be nice and me and all the workers are good friends. They also have alot of fun. The only thing holding me back is the whole puppy thing. Hmm, so I thought I would get your guys opinion.

Ash

CountryWolf07
03-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Hmm... if it bothers you.. then don't take the job.. but, it takes a lot of guts to work in a pet store that sells puppies..

guster girl
03-21-2004, 02:43 PM
This may not be popular opinion in Pet Talk, but, as long as the puppies are not acquired from puppy mills, and, are well taken care of once in the store, I don't personally see a problem with selling or buying puppies or kittens from a store, as opposed to directly from a breeder. Yeah, it's better in a multitude of ways to get animals from the pound. And, if you wanted, you could make sure they aren't getting the puppies from backyard breeders, too. But, like you said, this could be an opportunity to spread the word and educate people. I think you should go with what you feel is right, your heart will let you know if this place is a good place for a puppy, ya know? Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide.

Karen
03-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I would take the job, and learn all I can about where the pups come from. Ask if they *know* the breeder - if a patron interested in a particular pup could contact the breeder for information about the dog's parents, etc.

I know that by working there, the animals they have would get good care, just by you being there. If it turns out that the pups do come from puppy-mill type places, and you feel they are not going to change their policy, you can always tender your resignation politely and quietly, and give two weeks' notice.

Educate people as much as you can when they are looking to purchse a pup - does the store sell books on breeds, etc? Recommend they do research before buying any pup, and keep a list of shelters and rescues places discretely in your pocket to give to people when no one else is looking.

catnapper
03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd take the job. You'd be surrounded by friends & animals - what could be better? The only way to know the extent of how much the puppy-thng would bother you is to work there. You could do some investigative work and find out if the puppues really do come from reputable breeders and educate many potential pet owners.

If you work there for a month and find that you are having a really hard time with the puppy issue, then you can leave on a friendly basis - - claim your schoolwork was suffering or something. Either way, you'll have earned some extra cash AND learned some useful information about the animals in a pet store.

QueenScoopalot
03-21-2004, 03:21 PM
You can always take the job and hand out "puppy mill" educational cards on the sly to prospective buyers. Just don't get caught. I'll have to dig up the website where I found cards cheap...about $4.00 for 100 and no postage.

aly
03-21-2004, 03:37 PM
I definately would not take the job. I seriously doubt your employer would let you educate people in the way that is necessary. I strongly disagree with selling puppies at petstores because anybody can just go get one. There really needs to be a screening process (which good breeders have - and even better, good shelters and rescues also have). And not to mention the whole puppymill aspect of it. Blah.

Anyway, thats just my opinion.

binka_nugget
03-21-2004, 03:42 PM
It's up to you. If it bugs you, go with your instincts. If you do decide to work there though, you'd be able to make sure the pups are looked after and when you meet possible buyers, you could educate them first about the breed and such.

Kfamr
03-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by aly
I definately would not take the job. I seriously doubt your employer would let you educate people in the way that is necessary. I strongly disagree with selling puppies at petstores because anybody can just go get one. There really needs to be a screening process (which good breeders have - and even better, good shelters and rescues also have). And not to mention the whole puppymill aspect of it. Blah.

Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Ditto everything.

I wouldn't work there.