PDA

View Full Version : Baby Things for Cataholic

dukedogsmom
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
All you crafters out there, I had a great idea! It came after I offered to crochet a baby blanket for her. I got to thinking that a lot of other people might like to do something as well. So, here's the thread for her to tell us about colors and such and we can all get busy. I can't knit too well yet so I'm going to crochet mine. But there's things like embroidery, cross stitch and sewing. Never learned how to sew, yet........So, think this is a good idea?

Nomilynn
03-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I love this idea! I will start thinking of some cute things to sew :)

G.P.girl
03-20-2004, 08:46 PM
hey that's a great idea! i know how to crotchet, but i'm really bad and slow at it:o

trayi52
03-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Val, I can knit and crochet. I can knit booties, and do blankets. Pretty good at it too, if I do say so myself.

dukedogsmom
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
I think you've got plenty of time :)

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm going to try and think of some things I can make.

Maybe i'll wait until after the baby is born, so I know names/sex for sure. :p

micki76
03-20-2004, 09:43 PM
I love to cross stitch. I'm going to Hobby Lobby Monday and get some things to do for Johanna! :D

Great idea, Val! :D :D :D

Karen
03-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I'm going to try and think of some things I can make.

Maybe i'll wait until after the baby is born, so I know names/sex for sure. :p

We always wait, in my family, until after the baby is born. And it makes shopping way more fun.

All baby needs right away is diapers, cozy sleeping clothes and momma. Fancy duds can wait until one knows whether to make a pink bow or a blue cummerbund for baby's first tuxedo! ;)

trayi52
03-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Blanket meant for both genders will be great for now. It would be nice to find out some of Johanna's favorite colors.

Val, what colors are you going to do?

Willie

dukedogsmom
03-20-2004, 10:11 PM
I was thinking either yellow or green (pastels) or even white. I've got a great pattern that would make a nice Christening blanket if she wanted to use it for that.

trayi52
03-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah, that color would be good for any gender. That would be cute. You can get some of the cutest colors of thread too for babies, can't you? Got to start digging out my patterns too. I have some that are so old! And just for babies. This is so exciting isn't it??:D

Willie

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I was thinking either yellow or green (pastels) or even white. I've got a great pattern that would make a nice Christening blanket if she wanted to use it for that.

My mom made a blanket for my older brother before he was born. She didn't know the gender when she made it, so she chose a blend of yellow and white. Its SO nice. We still have it, and it was mine when I was a baby too, so it worked for both of us, girl and boy. I think yellow is perfect for both genders...........green could go with either too, but I think yellow, is more of a *baby color*.......

I think this is a great idea, and know Johanna would be thrilled to get so many gifts for her baby from PT land!! What a pampered sweet little baby s/he will be! :D

Cataholic
03-20-2004, 10:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had no idea! How sweet! I would be totally touched to have ANYTHING! I am thinking of painting the nursery in a green colour, since the gender is unknown. My 'fave' colour is blue..he he he..should I tell you MY sizes? :D :D :D

GoldenRetrLuver
03-20-2004, 10:57 PM
When I was born, my mom made me a blanket that was white and blue with little bears on it. Fourteen years later, I still have it....and yes, I do still sleep with it. :o She calls it my "security blanket". :p
My cousin just had a baby, and didn't want to know what the sex would be before the birth. So, EVERYONE bought green items, hehe. Mostly things frog related. The parents had a theme room with DOGS! (:D) It was kinda cute, and the baby ended up being a little girl. :)

Great idea!! :)

wolfsoul
03-20-2004, 11:51 PM
oOo do we have to make something? I'd rather buy something lol. I can't sew, knit, crochet, cross stitch, anything. My mom can do all of those things though. Maybe I'll bug her to make some cute little slippers. We'll need an address! ;)

Vio&Juni
03-21-2004, 08:30 AM
I can knit, crochet, and some other things. I love to make baby things :)

luckies4me
03-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had no idea! How sweet! I would be totally touched to have ANYTHING! I am thinking of painting the nursery in a green colour, since the gender is unknown. My 'fave' colour is blue..he he he..should I tell you MY sizes? :D :D :D

OMG that would be so fun! I'll buy you maternity clothes!!! LOL :D

As far as baby things, I have something up my sleeve but you will have to wait. :p It takes a LONG time to make, about 3 months as you need to cur? the paper or something like that.

But you know what I can buy you? A scrapbook! You will need to take tons of pics and what better way to cherish those memories than to start out with a pregnancy scrapbook and work your way up? :D

Aspen and Misty
03-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I thought I might suggest to those who aren't as talented as others on here, or just don't lots of money (both are me!) that a card is a wonderful and just as touching way to say congrats! Hee hee! Thats what I'm doing since I'm on a low budget of nothing and have no talent expet for writeing, Hee hee hee!

I can just see the mailman pulling to her house saying, I have 200 boxes in the back of my truck for you, how do you want me to bring them up the drive way?? LOL!!!

:D Ash :D

mugsy
03-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Please know right up front....I am creatively challenged and don't even sew buttons back on!:eek: However, my assistant principal is VERY creative and has made one of these for all retiring members of our staff and for babies. She designs a quilt and cuts out squares of various sizes and then has people write (in permanent cloth pen) a thought for the person and then she makes the quilt when they have all been collected.

Now...that being said....remember how I started this post. I can't sew it, but, would be happy to create a square if someone else likes to do those sorts of things and is good at it wants to attempt it.

Don't you love how I pass the buck....but, Johanna wouldn't even want what I would ever sew in her house!! lol My sewing frightens people. lol

dukedogsmom
03-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Mugsy, how would you like to mail us each a square so we could write on it? Is that a good idea? It sounds like a very special quilt and if they could make it, that would be great!

mugsy
03-21-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't have a problem cutting the squares and mailing them, but, I don't know who would make it, because my asst. principal wouldn't have time. Any takers???

Stenograsaurus
03-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey, Mugsy, how about bringing some to the May Findlay (sp?) Dog Park Gathering and people could sign them there? Do you know how many she could make by then?

Corinna
03-22-2004, 03:07 PM
I will probly get killed by hubby but if you alldesighna 12"x12" square and but the names on it .(frendship quilt) I'll sew it to geather and get some freinds to geather to tie it. I don't mind sharing my address 538 7th ave west, Columbia Falls,montana 59912 If you can get them to me before July 1 my girl friend is goning for a 2 week visit we can get it togeather.
For those craft challange you can use Iron on pelloin to create your square . If you need help e-mail me Winky @in-tch.com

Corinna
03-22-2004, 05:28 PM
:rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
I bought the yarn today. Decided to go with green since Johanna said the baby's room was going to be green. It will work for either one, I think. Got one other project to finish before I can start on this one. But, I can whip out a baby blanket in 3 12 hour work days :)

micki76
03-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Yep, I got some things today at Hobby Lobby. :) This is going to be so fun!

Karen
03-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Corinna - you sure? 12 x 12-inch square - how far in from the edges should be left clear for stitching together to make the quilt? ;)

Corinna
03-22-2004, 07:31 PM
I use 1/2 seams . I don't mind at all I just have one quilt left to make for my son .