PDA

View Full Version : I got attacked by a dog yesterday night...

Amber
03-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Yup, just my luck I did. I stayed the night at my friends house, she has a springer spaniel mix dog, named Shane. I had just met Shane that day, so he didnt know me much. He was VERy scared of me, because he kept backing down to the ground, maybe thinking I was going to hurt him. Poor thing, so I just left him alone, because I could feel he was scared. Anyways, we had ordered pizza. When I came out of the bathroom washing my hands, Samantha, (friend) was hiding around the corner, and she jumped out and scared me. And I, of course screamed. Well, Shane just happened to be there, and all of a sudden he was like on top of me barking and growling. He was niping at my legs. I finally got away from him. Oh my God, I was terrified! Ive never been attacked like that. He just jumps up at! I was scared of him the whole night. Ive never ever beeen terrified of a dog. And I just hated it when samantha was yelling at him, to go lay down.
:( I hated it, and told her to stop. She did. But she kept telling him to stay away from me. Poor baby. It wasnt his fault or mine. It was Sam's fault. If she hadnt scared me.

Sorry, I felt like sharing.

wolfie
03-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh, I'm sorry! :(

Good thing you are a dog person and were able to understand that he was frigntened of you... but too bad about your friend. :/

Luckily I've never been in that situation, but I'm sure it was very scary. :(

guster girl
03-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Geez, that sucks. Are you ok, though, physically? I wonder if her dog is like that with all new people. Poor thing. :(

EssTer
03-20-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that...I hope you're OK..Poor pup, I'm sorry that he's like that, but possibly that's owners fault...

Once one doxie attacked me, he was running and looked cute owner said, he never bites and I wanted to play with him, but then he bite in my fingers.. it wasnt fun at all...

guster girl
03-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I have never really been attacked that way, but, I have been bitten. It was by a family member's Sheltie. He just wasn't well socialized or trained, and, I never went close to him again. He would come up to me, and, I felt bad for him because he wanted attention from me. It just ends up being sad for the dog, because people don't want to have anything to do with them. :(

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm so sorry. :( I got attacked by a rottie once when I was about 4 or 5 years old (if my dad and his owner didn't run to my rescue, I'm certain he would have severely injured me). I have never been able to trust a dog since then. It was a traumatizing experience that I haven't forgotten. I do *like* dogs........... I enjoy watching them from far.....I do think they're cute, but getting close to a dog terrifies me, and its all because of that experience, and others. I'm not afraid of little dogs though. :p

guster girl
03-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I'm not afraid of little dogs though. :p

I'm sorry that you had that experience. :( I'm actually more afraid of little dogs than big ones, most of the time. ;) But, I've also never had a bad experience with any animal. Except for my own cats, I've got at least four scars from cat claws. Yikes, I'd much rather be bitten by a dog than a cat. They're nuts. :)

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't think the incident was your friend's fault, the dog's fault, or your fault. It's unfortunate it happened though. Maybe it is her fault a bit, because when/if you see a dog afraid of a person like that, the safest thing to do is keep that dog away in a seperate room. That's what we do with Simba, because he is afraid of some people.

I don't see how people could be afraid of one size of dogs. Each dog is different and personally, this doesn't go for all (and certainly not PT pups!), but smaller dogs always seem to be more aggressive or unpredictable. Alot of small dog owner think it's cute (again not PT owners) when their little dog growls/bares its teeth, or goes after someone. So, they never correct that and it turns into a habit for the dog. Also, it seems they're afraid to correct the dog because it's so "tiny, fluffy, and cute". Well of course they are, but so are little kids (minus the fluffy) but you still need to correct them and teach them.

I'm not afraid of big, medium, or small dogs all together. I take each dog as his/her own. But, I would be afraid if they were growling and baring their teeth! :p

Amber
03-20-2004, 03:56 PM
You have a very good point Kay. Like for example, on americas funniest home videos, they had one where this chihuahua was growling, and showing teeth, and everyone laughing.

Yes, Im alrite physicaly. Just a couple scratches on my leg.

But my emotions toward the dog, i'll prolly be afraid of it for awhile.

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Amber
You have a very good point Kay. Like for example, on americas funniest home videos, they had one where this chihuahua was growling, and showing teeth, and everyone laughing.

Yes, Im alrite physicaly. Just a couple scratches on my leg.

But my emotions toward the dog, i'll prolly be afraid of it for awhile.

Yeah, I hate shows like that. There's always dogs on there being teased and then growling.

I understand being afraid of that specific dog, but i'm sure it didn't make you go home and be terrified of Katie. :p

Good thing you're alright, pyshically. I'm sure after awhile you'll like the dog. He was probably just unsure of what was going on, and his first instinct was to protect his momma.

Amber
03-20-2004, 04:06 PM
hehe, id never be scared of katie, she's too sweet! :p I hope I will come around to like the dog, and have it like me.

Dogz
03-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I am glad that you are okay. That is too bad that it had to happen though.:(

When I was around 3-4 I got bit by a dog. I just wanted to pet it, but it had just gotten his shots that day. I didn't know that, so when I pet him, I must have touched the spot where he got his shots.

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I don't see how people could be afraid of one size of dogs. Each dog is different and personally, this doesn't go for all (and certainly not PT pups!), but smaller dogs always seem to be more aggressive or unpredictable. Alot of small dog owner think it's cute (again not PT owners) when their little dog growls/bares its teeth, or goes after someone. So, they never correct that and it turns into a habit for the dog. Also, it seems they're afraid to correct the dog because it's so "tiny, fluffy, and cute". Well of course they are, but so are little kids (minus the fluffy) but you still need to correct them and teach them.

Oh I don't know why I'm only afraid of big dogs..........maybe because it was a big dog that jumped on/bit me. I was only 4 or so at the time, so that dog was like 4 times the size of me, and freaked me out. :p My next door neighbors have two medium sized dogs. I would normally be afraid of dogs even that size, but I've gotten to know those dogs, and know they would never hurt me, so I'm not afraid of them. The fear factor, is mainly large dogs that I don't know. I'm not afraid of smaller ones, because they look too small to hurt a human, even though I know they can be very unpredictable too. It depends on the owner's raising of the animal, of course, and sometimes things *just happen*, by accident, but sometimes scary things scar you for life. Don't get me wrong........I love dogs as I love most animals, but its just that they frighten me, if they're running around off-leash, etc.

BCBlondie
03-20-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm glad you're okay though! I hate it how a lot of places are doing breed bans because, in reality, ANY dog can bite or attack. You said this dog was a Spinger Spaniel mix. I was bit pretty bad by a Border Collie when I was 7 or 8. I went up to a family friend's dog and wanted to hug it because I thought all dogs were friendly since the two we had at the time liked hugs. :rolleyes: The BC took a nice bite lol.. Pretty much went through my cheek and just missed my eye. I was bleeding everywhere. Had to be rushed to the nearest hospital, 30mins away, got stitches and I'm totally fine now. I'm not scared of dogs at all and now I even have my own Border Collie (but all he ever wants is hugs haha).:p :rolleyes: I love those dogs and I blame myself for what happened.

RobiLee
03-20-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm glad you are alright, Amber. I know that must have been scary.

Robin

GoldenRetrLuver
03-20-2004, 10:46 PM
I do *like* dogs........... I enjoy watching them from far.....I do think they're cute, but getting close to a dog terrifies me, and its all because of that experience, and others. I'm not afraid of little dogs though. :p

Aww...so you'd be scared of my GREAT big beast, Molly? She won't hurt you...maybe want to lick you to death, but I promise you'll live. ;)

I'm sorry for those of you who are scared of dogs. They're really great to have around. (The best in my opinion :D)

I'm so sorry Amber. :( Hopefully it won't ever happen again.

MariaM
03-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Ironically, when I was about 5 or 6 I was bit by a golden retriever. I can't really remember what happened but I went up to it and I guess it must have thought I was teasing it or something. It bit my arm (I still have the scar) and I had to go to the hosipital. I can't really remember all the details though. I remember haveing stitches and drinking this pinkmedicine. The ironic part is, very soon after that I started to love dogs, and golden retrievers at that. Golden retrievers were my favorite kind of dog from the ages 5-11 or so. But now I'm interested in... Border Collies and of course, still retrievers and just basically anything that'll wag its tail and smile =D

trayi52
03-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Sorry about you having such a bad experience. Maybe the dog will get used to you and everything will be okay.

Poppy, I can understand fully having a fear of large dogs. Especially after being attacked when you were so young. It can have an effect on you. I know a woman that was so afraid of cats that if one come near her, she would just take flight and run off in a panic. So your doing pretty good not to do that. :)

Willie

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
I know a woman that was so afraid of cats that if one come near her, she would just take flight and run off in a panic. So your doing pretty good not to do that. :)

LOL! My aunt is like that with cats. I don't panic and run off if a dog comes near me, but if they *run* after me, I freak out.

Julie, I ***love*** your Molly. I think she's one of the most gorgeous pups I have ever seen. Not saying I can guarantee full confidence if I met her in real life though. :o I *might* be afraid. *sigh* I need to get over this fear somehow.

GoldenRetrLuver
03-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Julie, I ***love*** your Molly. I think she's one of the most gorgeous pups I have ever seen. Not saying I can guarantee full confidence if I met her in real life though. :o I *might* be afraid. *sigh* I need to get over this fear somehow.

LOL..I guess you'll just have to come on over to California then to meet her and my other scary pup, Daisy. ;):p I've had people who I've met on walks and certain family members who were terrified of large dogs, fall in love with my two. :)

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Kids i've known to be terrified of dogs, for no reasons, have LOVED Simba.

My cousin's little girl, Hannah, used to be terrified of dogs until she met Simba.

Here's 2 pictures of them together.. The first of them posing and the second of Hannah making Simba do tricks.

pictures (http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?s=&postid=221148)

popcornbird
03-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
LOL..I guess you'll just have to come on over to California then to meet her and my other scary pup, Daisy. ;):p I've had people who I've met on walks and certain family members who were terrified of large dogs, fall in love with my two. :)

Okie.............send me a ticket, and I'll fly to CA to come and see your pups and PIPPY!!! ;);):D I guarantee you, I won't be afraid of Piper at all, and hopefully, would be able to get over my fear of the pups too. ;)

trayi52
03-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Sweet Poppy, you still up? LOL, so am I. The good thing Poppy is that you are working on your fear of the big dogs. The woman I was talking about said when she was just a child about the same age as you when you had your incident, said somebody threw a dead cat on her, and that just terrified her from then on. I guess she is in her 70s now, and still terrified of them.

Willie

popcornbird
03-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Sweet Poppy, you still up? LOL, so am I.

I went to bed immediately after posting that. :p I do think my fear of dogs has lessened since I joined PT...........I must admit. I feel more comfortable around dogs now than I did before, but it does still depend on the dog too. :D

Julie.............I'm waiting for my ticket to CA. When are you sending it? :p

Dogz
03-21-2004, 12:46 PM
My cousin Sam doesn't like the big dogs. (Except he does like Digger.) He LOVES 'Todis'. Prince and Chubby are real sweeties, but they are more outgoing than Digger and Otis, I must admit. Once Prince settles down, he will just lay there, so I can stare at him.:p