PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of life-speech at school

bluekat
03-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Its time to do speeches at school now:( I hate this time of the year. This year, I decided that my topic will be what the meaning of life is. I know its gonna be a really hard topic...because nobody actually knows what the real meaning is, but I'll try my best.
I'm kind of stuck on this now...I don't know how I should start it. Any ideas on how I should start it?

Have you guys ever thought about this before? I've tried to answer this question myself bfore, but I really can't answer it. What do you guys think of it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated:)
Thanks!

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Eeee...............I hate *speaking* in public......even though I have, but it just feels so uncomfortable. :o:o

I don't know what to tell you on the topic. I guess the purpose of life, is something that everyone sees differently, depending on their beliefs. If I had to speak on this topic, I would know exactly what to say from my point of view, but I don't know how you see such things from your point of view. Perhaps if you can list the points in your mind regarding what the meaning of life is, maybe then we can help you.

bluekat
03-20-2004, 09:36 AM
I hate speaking in public too, I've always hated it.
Well, I found some sites on the internet that I can use, I never knew there would be so many. So I think I know what I should do now.:)

wolfie
03-20-2004, 10:07 AM
The answer is 42 of course! :p

I guess you could discuss how the meaning of life is different for everyone. Like how some people try to be happy, some people try to make others happy, some people try to get rich and famous, ect.

I hate public speaking too! :( I hope you do well though! :)

RubyMutt
03-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Oy, public speaking is quite possibly the most gut wrenching thing ever :(

I think the meaning of life is different depending on who you ask. Everyone has a different goal in which they want to accomplish with their life, everyone has a different purpose.

I'm a big Monty Python fan and there is a Monty Python movie called 'The Meaning of Life', it's one of my favorites. Anywho at the end of the movie they say the meaning of life is:
"Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
I know it's a comedy, but I think that's a pretty good definition! :D

bluekat
03-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wolfie
The answer is 42 of course! :p

huh? lol...I don't know what you mean:p

Thanks for the advice:)

wolfie
03-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by bluekat
huh? lol...I don't know what you mean:p

It's from the book The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. It's a sci-fi book (yes I'm a nerd! ^_^) These people create a big computer to give them the meaning of life, and it gives them the answer '42'. :)

catnapper
03-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Oooh, sounds like fun! I am one of those odd people that LOVE to speak in front of a group of people - the more, the better.:D Yes, I know that I must be incredibly strange to actually enjoy standing in front of people and delivering a speech.

Now I know you asked for the meaning of life... hmmm.... I've always thought it to be something along the lines of offering joy to others and finding joy for yourself. I'm a simple kind of gal, so I'll keep my meaning of life simple.

trayi52
03-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Ummmm, 42? That does sound familiar. I think that was in a thread that was on here a couple of months ago. It was something about Penquins making the earth rotate or something and somebody come up with 42, and anyway I ask ''42??'', got the same answer wolfie! That was a pretty interesting thread. Wish I could remember who started that thread, he was a trip though. Anybody remember him?

Tiffany, I could not speak in public unless they let me speak from under the desk. I think you will do just fine though.

Willie:)

smokey the elder
03-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Oooh, sounds like fun! I am one of those odd people that LOVE to speak in front of a group of people - the more, the better.:D Yes, I know that I must be incredibly strange to actually enjoy standing in front of people and delivering a speech.

Why is that strange? Every actor, newscaster, etc. in the world does it!:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by catnapper

Now I know you asked for the meaning of life... hmmm.... I've always thought it to be something along the lines of offering joy to others and finding joy for yourself. I'm a simple kind of gal, so I'll keep my meaning of life simple.

ME TOO!

The part of my last job which I enjoyed the most was giving presentations. When I was at school I was on the Debating Team and the Public Speaking Team - and I just continued from there.

I am actually more comfortable in front of 200 strangers than 20 people I know!:rolleyes:

bluekat
03-21-2004, 12:27 PM
I am actually more comfortable in front of 200 strangers than 20 people I know!

LOL, me too:p I don't really care about presenting in front of people I don't know...I just hate presenting to people I do know:p