PDA

View Full Version : worried about my chin baby

BitsyNaceyDog
03-19-2004, 12:31 PM
I just recently got 3 chinchillas, which is a very very long story. I got a momma named Annie, and 2 babies, named Daphne and Lola. When I got them Lola was draging one of her back legs. The vet said there was nothing he could do, to just watch it. Well now it's swollen and looking worse than ever imaginable. Yesterday I made an appointment at the vet. We go today, in an hour and a half. I'm worried it's going to need to be amputated.:(

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
good luck w/ your vet appt. I wish you the best of luck.

BTW, were or are they housed in a cage with wire flooring? In rats it can cause a condition called bumble foot. Wire flooring is not good to use with any pet.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-19-2004, 03:14 PM
BTW, were or are they housed in a cage with wire flooring? In rats it can cause a condition called bumble foot. Wire flooring is not good to use with any pet.

Yes and no. Yes the cage has wire flooring, however I keep newspaper on top of the wire, and change it daily. The cage they were in before I got them didn't have wire at all.

We are back from the vet and altho it's not good, it's not as bad as it could have been. Her hair was mating around her leg and cutting off circulation. He said it's not too rare in chinchillas, he's seen it before and they usually make a full recovery. I have some medicine to put on it. We go back on tuesday for a check-up. He did say that there is a chance that it may need to be amputated, but he'll do everything he can to prevent that (as will I).

I have faith that Lola's leg will be fine.