PDA

View Full Version : 15 minutes of fame

ramanth
03-19-2004, 11:51 AM
I recieved an email this morning from a reporter in Grand Rapids that is planning on doing a story about ProHeart 6.

I emailed her back with my number and she called me a little bit ago. She didn't have time to talk long and is going to call back on Monday to ask questions about Kia and what had happened. She said she even wants to try and schedule for a camera crew to come out and get pics/video of me and Kia.

(Bath time!) LOL!

How exciting...but I'm so nervous! :)

(For those that don't know, Kia had a seizure and was really sick after getting the PH6 injection.

http://207.44.135.130/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27919&highlight=kia+seizure

I wouldn't recommend it. I just don't think it's worth the risk.)

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Wow, a famous dog on PT!! Congrats!

I have heard of many reactions with the proheart6. I would never give it to my dogs!

shais_mom
03-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Yea for Kimmy and Kia!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-19-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm glad the press is on it and getting the word out. I don't think it's worth the risk either. Especially considering the fact that Kia is a relatively young dog and was in perfect health before this. There's no way something that is supposed to be good for them should almost kill them! :eek:

Good for you Kimmy and Kia! :D

Karen
03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
I think that's great. Kia is such a pretty dog, with those arresting blue eyes, that she will catch people's attention. She's a perfect candidate for TV, and so are you, her proud, happy momma. Glad that awful ordeal will be shared with people, it will likely prevent others from going through the same thing.

ramanth
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/ph6/moxidectinpage.html

Kia has a 'Survivor's Tale' at this site.

Other news stations have done reports lately on PH6. The FDA is really taking notice.

The CBS New York link has video of the story they did. It's so heartbreaking to see Sammy that way he is...

(Sammy is also on the 'Survivor's' page. There is a before and after picture. So so sad. :( )

Just getting the word out! And Phred's helping coach me. :D

"In my opinion...." ;) :D

Corinna
03-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Glad to hear media finally getting around to exposing this stuff. I have a sevivor of flea and tick meds (winky )the 15year old cat. Good luck and look pretty kia make us all proud.

moosmom
03-19-2004, 01:53 PM
WOOHOO!!! That is SO cool!! Can I have your autograph and Kia's pawprint for my collection??? Let us know when it will be aired.

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 02:08 PM
I adopted Kia, a Siberian Husky/Australian Cattle Dog mix, in late June of 2001. She saved my life that same year by detecting a mass of endometrian tissue that had comprimised my apendix and I had to have it removed. But a decision on my part.... nearly took her life

I had no idea kia saved your life. That is truely amazing. May I ask how she did this or how you knew that is what she found?

I am reading all the dogs stories on there, with tears in my eyes!

Kfamr
03-19-2004, 02:22 PM
I really hope everyone gets the word... and it's so great that you're getting the chance to help! :D

When we took Nala to the vet a while back, an older couple were in there with a Schnauzer .

When the lady had come out to have them come into the room with the Vet, she had mentioned how they gave their dog a Proheart injection in the past, and mentioned the dangers and things that have been researched on it, She then asked them if they wanted to continue with it this time.. they said "OH... of course not."

I thought of Kia then. I wonder if they do this for everyone that has/gives their dog the injection, and hopefully everyone has the same response as this couple did.

Freckles
03-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Here's (http://dogoftheday.com/archive/2002/April/14.html) the story about lifesaver KIA. :)

ramanth
03-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Awww Freckles!! You are such a dear. :D

Originally posted by lv4dogs
I had no idea kia saved your life. That is truely amazing. May I ask how she did this or how you knew that is what she found?
You know how you read about some dogs that find tumors... I think it was basically the same thing.

I had been experiencing a lot of pain that year and the doctors did tests and ultrasounds and nothing really appeared. They thought about doing a laproscopic surgery procedure but wanted to keep surgery as a last resort option.

Shortly after I adopted Kia, my side was hurting real bad and I laid down to take a nap. Kia crawled up onto the bed and started pressing into my right side very gently... just prodding and sniffing... very determined. If I let out a whimper of pain, she'd ease off.

I called the doctor the next day and went in for an appointment, told him everything Kia had done and showed him where. Had the surgery scheduled and my adominal area was covered in edometrian scar tissue and it was wrapped around my appendix. Doc didn't like the way it looked, so out it went. :) A biopsy of the scar tissue showed that I have Endometriosis.

Kia's my little darling.

:D

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-19-2004, 05:28 PM
I hope that you get to give that interview--it would be great for you to share info about Kia's awful experience to raise awareness and prevent others from having the same problem. Good luck to you both!

RobiLee
03-19-2004, 05:52 PM
OMG...I think Katie had that shot. Is that the only heartworm shot there is? She didn't have any reaction. Should I stick with that or switch to the chewables? Wow, this is very scary! I think she is due to go back next month. I'm not for sure if she is due for another heartworm shot or not. I'll have to check.

Robin

ramanth
03-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Thank you all for the well wishes. :)

Originally posted by RobiLee
OMG...I think Katie had that shot. Is that the only heartworm shot there is? She didn't have any reaction. Should I stick with that or switch to the chewables? Wow, this is very scary! I think she is due to go back next month. I'm not for sure if she is due for another heartworm shot or not. I'll have to check.

Robin
Yes Robin, ProHeart6 is the only Heartworm preventative shot on the market. You can safely switch Katie from the shot to chewables. I know many who have after finding out this info. :)

There have been cases where a dog takes the first shot fine, but has an adverse reaction after the second shot. I don't want to scare you... just want to inform you. :) Check out the links I posted. *hugs*

I obviously can't make you switch, but I just want you to see all the info... pro and con... so you can make a decision. :) I just wouldn't want to see any dog go thru what Kia did.

Albea
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by RobiLee
Robin

Robin, I never gave any of my dogs the shot of Proheart. The vet didn't even suggest it. They always took the chewable kind, once a month, every month of the year. It tastes good and they think is a treat. What don't you try it for Katie? It's safer than the injection.

ramanth
03-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Got off the phone a bit ago with the reporter Trisha. She is so nice. I gave her the numbers of Kia's vet and the vets who treated her at MSU.

We talked about Kia and what had happened that day. Trisha is trying to find a vet that doesn't trust PH6 and won't administer it. Trisha said she'd like the interview/report to be more informative than finger-pointing.

Said she'd call back when she gets an idea of when they want to shoot the interview. :)

Logan
03-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Good luck, Kimmy and Kia!!!! Please let us know all about the interview!! :)

wolf_Q
03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Glad you are able to get the word out! I definitely remember the ordeal that happened with Kia. Every time I go to the vet they tell me about the Proheart 6 and how much cheaper it is...I always tell them that I prefer the chewables. They think I'm nuts. :rolleyes: