PDA

View Full Version : reptile/bug like pet for 10 gallon aquarium

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Ok I have a few extra aquariums (I like to keep a couple emty should I need them for my rats in an emergancy or the like) anyways I am looking into getting something for one of them.

I was looking around I really wanted a spiny mantis or chemeleon(which would actually go into my spare 35 gallon) but either they are too much money ($175 & up for the chameleon I want) & I cant find a spiny flower mantis or anything similar. I am keeping that tank free for when I am finnally ready for one of the above.

I do not want one that needs a lot of water (I dont mind a dish w/ water in it & I do not mind monitoring humidity etc, I just don't want a water tank (fish, water turtles etc..), Although the easier the care the better.
So I am left w/ a 10 gallon aquarium to fill. I was thinking about a trantula but they are ussually seen in tiny cages, I would thinnk a big cage would be fine though. A snake would be great but so far the ones I have lloked into would outgrow the 10 gallon tank. Maybe small lizards (anole etc..). I have never had a pet of the likes (I have had turtles though) BUT I have been researching about some more "exotic" pets (reptiles/bugs) and I would research even more once I find one I am intersted in. I want one that is fairly even tempered that I can hold onto, take out of the cage etc..

i have money set aside for furnishings for the cage & vet care etc.. (a few hundred), that leaves me with about $40- $50 to spend on the pet itself

does anyone have ideas & info?

BitsyNaceyDog
03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I was looking around I really wanted a spiny mantis or chemeleon(which would actually go into my spare 35 gallon)

Chemeleon cannot be kept in a tank. You should do a lot of research before getting one. They have a lot of special needs. I don't actually have one but I adore them and hope to one day have one.

what about a day gecko? They are so pretty. My husband had one a long time ago, before I met him. I know they do need a calcium supplement, but I'm not sure what else.

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
My large tank came from a friend that had a chamelon in it, It is the long tank It has a reptile mesh extended cover for it (it is about a foot & a half to 2 feet tall so it makes the aquarium taller & more ventilation). It also has a hard mesh/screen type door right in the glass itself, on the side, it must of been a custom made cage. It is an aquarium for reptiles only, it has the brand name on it & is called something like *rezzies reptiles* (I'm not able to look at it now).
Thanks for looking out for the chamelons but i promise i won't get one until i am ready & I will take care of it.
I know all about chamelons, That has been my dream pet for oh about 20 years!

I'm going out tonight to look at frogs & geckos!

CathyBogart
03-19-2004, 03:37 PM
For the Mantis...You can get them at:

http://www.swiftinverts.com/ ($25)

Aslo drop [email protected] an email, he's DEFINITELY going to know where to find them...or something better! Check out some of his BEAUTIFUL mantids here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13701

I'll try to track down some more invert dealers later if you're interested.

luckies4me
03-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Those are neat links Catherine, although I have no idea why anyone would be dumb enough to sell Brown Recluses. To me, that is totally irresponsible!

I love the pictures though! Hopefully that women has a very good insurance policy!

CathyBogart
03-20-2004, 10:04 PM
People use them in venom research.

luckies4me
03-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Oh OK. That sounds better. It just seems like anyone can go to that site and buy a spider. :eek:

CathyBogart
03-20-2004, 11:04 PM
A few other reptiles to consider for the 10gal:

Leopard Gecko
Fat-Tail Gecko
Kenyan Sand Boa
Rosy Boa

lv4dogs
03-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
A few other reptiles to consider for the 10gal:

Leopard Gecko
Fat-Tail Gecko
Kenyan Sand Boa
Rosy Boa

A Kenyan sand & rosy boa can live in a 10 gallon? They will not outgrow it? I always wanted a snake but not a big one. I only thought there were a few snakes that stayed small, none being a boa.

Do you know of any info. sites for the 2 snakes?

CathyBogart
03-22-2004, 10:43 AM
I'd recommend searching for a male of those two species, but yes they can live in a ten. :) Come to think of it, so can a male Hognose!

lv4dogs
03-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
I'd recommend searching for a male of those two species, but yes they can live in a ten. :) Come to think of it, so can a male Hognose!

thanks wolfchan, i already looked into them a little & yes the males are smaller than females, do males tend to be more laid back too?

A hognose too well I've got some research & deciding to do, everyday my options get wider & wider LOL

I think I need to open my own zoo, then I may be satisfied LOL