PDA

View Full Version : countertops, plants & cats oh my

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 09:08 AM
I will not get rid of my plants nor my cat but was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me (I know I can't train a cat but I am wishful thinking LOL). I have my plants on my counter & my cat gets up there, now this is not a problem but she chews & digs in my spider plants & only the spider plants (I've got quite a few other plants but she leaves those be). They go from about 1.5 feet tall to 4 inches in less than a day, then she leaves them alone for a few weeks until they grow some more then it happens all over again.

This ONLY happens when I am NOT home. She has learned not to ever get on the counters when I am home.
I have tried keeping objects on my counter so there is no room for her, putting tin foil down, toothpicks in the plant containers. I don't want to use a scat mat. I really can't put my plants anywhere else, either the cat will still gt into them, or the ferrets or the sun is not right in other windows & they die.

Felicia's Mom
03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
1. You could put your spider plant in a hanging pot that she could not reach.

2. Keep the plants she does bother at work with you.

3. Let het chew the spider plants. I don't think they are harmful. (you might want to check and make sure).

felinefanatic
03-22-2004, 04:02 AM
Have you tried getting her a little pot of grass to nibble on of her own? Most pet stores sellready made kitty grass or seed kits to grow your own kitty grass.This has really helped keep my cats out of the plants.

catnapper
03-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Sounds very familiar! Pouncer LOVES my spider plant and I had to move it to a hanging basket. Now Pouncer has discovered a way to JUMP into the hanging basket, sit ON my plant and happily chew the ends of the plant:rolleyes:

What is it with spider plants? This is a special plant to me because I raised it from a cutting off the end of another spider plant and managed to not kill it since the 5 years I've had it. Its taken Pouncer 6 months to nearly kill it twice. Its currently recovering from the last Pouncer attack.

mruffruff
03-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Maybe try a piece of metal screen. Wrap around the pot and tuck edges up to the plant's stem. You can still water the plant, but the cat can't dig in it.