PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

jenluckenbach
03-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Are you Right or Left handed?

CamCamPup33
03-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Im right handed, I sometimes try to write with my left, but it never turns out as good as my right! :p

jenluckenbach
03-19-2004, 07:07 AM
I forgot to post that I am right handed.
I can do a lot of tasks with my left hand. Almost everything EXCEPT use eating utensils and write. But I can throw, brush, deal cards, a lot of little things like that, with my opposite (left) hand.

Randi
03-19-2004, 07:34 AM
I'm right handed. Jen, it's funny you should mention these things - I can do the exact same things with my left. :D I don't supposeanyone in school these days are encouraged (forced) to use the right. :eek: My mom was, but she still used her left for cutting bread and a few other things.

bluekat
03-19-2004, 07:57 AM
I right-handed. I CANNOT write with my left, if I try its really bad:p I think I do most things with my right too.

Tonya
03-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I was born left handed, but in Kindergarten, my teacher tried to make me right handed. So, I'm ambedextrious.

I'm most comfortable writing left handed, batting left handed, throwing right handed, and shooting a basketball right handed. But I can go either way. It's an advantage at work, because I'm comfortable with using tools with either hand.

neko1
03-19-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm left handed. But I can't use a scissors with my left hand, I need to use my right hand to do it. Back in elementary school, they forced us to use right-handed scissors.

Oh yeah and I really hated those right handed desks in high school, too. And also, whenever the teacher would be showing us how to do something the right handed way and instead of showing the left handed person how to do it, they would just say "do it backwards" um, hello, that doesn't help!

Also, when you are left handed, people tend to be fascinated watching you write.:rolleyes: It's so annoying:mad:

G.P.girl
03-19-2004, 08:38 AM
i'm a righty but i was trying to teach myself to write with myleft hand too, but i got bored of it.:rolleyes:

Vio&Juni
03-19-2004, 08:49 AM
I am so right-handed! I can't even carry a cup of tea with my left :)

BUT, I can't play billiard with my right :) People that played with me were so confused (knowing that I am right-handed) that I use my left for this and I am so much better than with my right :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I am a leftie. So are my mom, dad, and 2 brothers!!

catnapper
03-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm right handed, but seem to favor my left... I put on my left earring, sock, shoe, etc first. I think the world might end if I started with my right!

Felicia's Mom
03-19-2004, 09:27 AM
I am left handed. I also had people tell me to do as they did only; "do it backwards."

At a dinner when people were close together, it was always my fault if my elbow hit the person next to me. Because of this, I was always given a seat on the end of the table. Even to this day I automatically go to one of those seats.

A lot of left-handers have beautiful handwriting, but mine never has been.

There are things that I only do with my right hand:
1. I use the computer mouse with my right hand.

2. I taught myself how to crochet. The book used only showed it the right handed way; so I crochet right handed too.

neko1
03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Felicia's Mom

At a dinner when people were close together, it was always my fault if my elbow hit the person next to me. Because of this, I was always given a seat on the end of the table. Even to this day I automatically go to one of those seats.

I do the same thing, it's just a lot easier to automatically sit on the end.

My experience with other left handers is that they have horrible handwriting. I actually have nice handwriting.

RobiLee
03-19-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm right handed. I do shoot pool left handed and I'm terrible at it...lol...but I'm not comfortable doing it right handed.

Robin :)

jazzcat
03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm right handed. I can't seem to do too much with my left.

Logan
03-19-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm a lefty. Can't eat or write with my right hand, but do everything else with my right hand! My daughter and my husband are the exact same way! My father is the only true lefthanded person I know. He does everything with his left hand!!! :)

Lissa
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm right handed, but my mom is left handed. I used to always watch her write because she curves her hand in toward her so much. In school they tried to get her to be right handed and it didn't work. Random fact: Whatever hand is your dominate, that is also your dominate foot, meaning you will always step off with that one, if you get pushed that is the one that you will stick out to regain balance. This is my wierd thing because I dance and was in marching band for so many years, I am opposite. Just a random note.

tutebugs
03-19-2004, 11:29 AM
i can't vote...cuz I"m both handed. I write and eat with my right but that's about it...

Karen
03-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I am right-handed, strongly so.

My mother was left-handed. Her handwriting was atrocious. There's a reason, though: When she started elementary school (in the 1930's), the teacher took the pen away from her left hand and forced her to try to write right-handed. She came home from school that first day in tears. My grandfather brought her to school the next day, and told them if they didn't let her write with her left hand, he would pull her out f public school. So they let her keep writing lefthanded, but NEVER tried to make her inprove her penmanship!!!! Just couldn't get their minds around the concept I guess, and the rest of us had to deal with it!

Paul is left-handed. He has very neat heandwriting.

I can write legibly left-handed. I just have to go slowly and concentrate more. When I was bored in school, I would practice writing lefty, just in case, like my friend Dawn, I ever fell and broke my right wrist. It is said to be a good exercise for your brain to do things with your nondominant hand!

I went to Mass College of Art, I am not sure the exact figures, but many many people were left-handed, it might have been 50/50.

rg_girlca
03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
I find this interesting, cause in my family there are both right and left handed people.

My mom and dad, were both right handed.

I have four brothers and the oldest is left handed the other three, right handed.

I have two sisters, and again, the oldest is left handed and my other sister and I are right handed.

I find it interesting that my two older siblings are the only ones in the family that are left handed.

davidpizzica
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
I am right-handed. But I think Nikki & Daisy can use both!!

Randi
03-19-2004, 01:17 PM
I was searching for an article about a company who did a test, having their employees use the left hand for the mouse for several months, but I couldn't find it right now. However, I found this:

Ambidextrous tendencies may mean better memory.

Having a close left-handed relative makes right-handers better at remembering events than those from exclusively right-handed families, new research suggests. There is a downside, however, as members of these ambidextrous families may be relatively impaired in their ability to recall facts.

According to the study, having a left-handed sibling or parent means the organisation of your brain is intermediate between a pure 'lefty' and a pure 'righty'.

Specifically, Stephen Christman and Ruth Propper at the University of Toledo, Ohio claim that people with 'lefties' in the family have a larger corpus callosum - the connection between the brain hemispheres. This makes you better at certain memory tasks, but worse at others, they believe.

Two types of memories are involved. Episodic memories are those with a context that is separate from the information itself - for example, where you parked your car or where you left your keys. Semantic memories on the other hand are things 'you just know', such as the dates of the First World War or the recipe for apple pie.

Filling the gaps

The researchers showed 180 right-handed subjects lists of words. Some of this group was asked to recall as many of the words as possible once the list had been taken away. This tests episodic memory because the subjects have to remember the words they were taught.

Others from the group were given fragments of words with a letter missing and asked to fill in the gaps. This semantic test simply relies on knowing how the correct word should be spelt. Subjects with close left-handed relatives did better at the first 'remember' task, but worse at the second 'know' task.

"The key difference is not whether you are right handed, but whether you are strongly or weakly handed," explains Christman.

It's from New Scientist, and here's a link to another article:

Seems that cats tend to be left pawed. :D

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1684/lefthand.html

ramanth
03-19-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm right handed. :)

Originally posted by Tonya
I was born left handed, but in Kindergarten, my teacher tried to make me right handed. So, I'm ambedextrious.

Same thing happened to my Aunt. She now has the most beautiful handwriting with either hand. *is jealous*

CountryWolf07
03-19-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm right handed. ;)

CathyBogart
03-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Southpaw here, but I use scissors with my right. 0.o

rizzy
03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Thats whats really great about the computer!! I cant write with my left hand, I am right handed. BUT I can type with both hands just as good. I like to compare writing and doing things with the opposite hands. Oh, and interesting poll!:)

BitsyNaceyDog
03-19-2004, 04:33 PM
I am completely 100% left handed. I even use the computer mouse with my left hand and
do 90% of my typing with my left only.

Oh yeah and I really hated those right handed desks in high school, too. And also, whenever the teacher would be showing us how to do something the right handed way and instead of showing the left handed person how to do it, they would just say "do it backwards" um, hello, that doesn't help!

Me too on both those statements.

Most of left handed people I know have alright, but not great handwritting, me included.

Oh, and I hate it when people tell me I'm wrong handed.

apcrs5122
03-19-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm right handed, but I've always wanted to be a lefty. My family is split directly in half...my mom and older sister are left handed, and my dad and I are righties;)

Cataholic
03-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I am right handed, but, I guess not strongly so. I do write exclusively right handed, when I write at all...I am equally footed, though..and had better placement with my left foot than I did with my right, in soccer.

QueenScoopalot
03-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Right handed here, but sure wish when "scooposis" hits that I was left handed! :D :D :D

popcornbird
03-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Very much right-handed. :p

I have a question..............how do left-handed people handle a computer mouse? Do you keep the mouse to the left of the keyboard? :p

jaqi
03-19-2004, 10:55 PM
This is a cool topic!

I'm left-handed, but I can do most things to some extent with either hand--I practiced writing with my right and it's OK. 'Course I have horrible handwriting either way, the English language was made to be written by righties, I think! One thing we tried when I was learning penmanship was to write slanted backwards, but it didn't make any sense to me. So I just write, or rather scrawl, normally.

I can't eat with my right hand, the fork shakes too much. (My hands aren't perfectly steady to begin with--which I hope I can work past enough to become a vet!)

I agree with the table problem, I look for left corners. And those right-handed school seats are annoying, I have a biology class where there's one left-handed desk at each row in the ampitheater, and I have to make sure I get one on test days or I look like I'm cheating of the person to my right...

As for things I do with only my right hand, violin--but nobody does that left-handed that I know of. And I also mouse with my right hand most naturally because that's how I learned.

Kfamr
03-19-2004, 11:24 PM
I'm right-handed.

Originally posted by popcornbird

I have a question..............how do left-handed people handle a computer mouse? Do you keep the mouse to the left of the keyboard? :p

Left-Handed Mouse. (http://www.keytools.com/mice/perfit.htm)

neko1
03-20-2004, 06:47 AM
Since the hubby's right handed, we keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard so I have to reach over the keyboard to use it.:rolleyes:

Vermontcat
03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm a lefty and my husband is a lefty and one of my son's is a lefty too.
My oldest brother is a lefty too, So that's 3 out of 5 lefties in my house now and 2 out of 6 when I was a kid.

Karen, you are right about more artists being left-handed.
Usually lefties are about 10 per cent of the population but in my college art classes the ratio was 50/50!
Two of my favorite artists are lefties, Da Vinci and Michelangelo.
Here is a link showing other famous lefties, scroll down it's a long list.
Famous lefties (http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/left.html#Artists)

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2004, 09:35 AM
About the only thing I can do left handed is hit a softball...but I still do that better right handed :)

Dogz
03-20-2004, 09:57 AM
I am right handed.

My mom is left handed, and she learned to use a right-handed mouse. She was thinking about getting a left-handed mouse, but she just learned to use the one we had.

Aspen and Misty
03-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm both. I've had on - off tendinitous (SP) in my right shoulder for 2 years now. Dureing this time I taught myself to write, eat and everything else left handed, I acctually can write pretty good to!! :D BUT, I favor my right hand, if I have a choice, I use my right.

Ash

Tonya
03-20-2004, 02:32 PM
I use the mouse right handed. Another random fact...I don't know if it's cause I am left handed, or because I am wierd...but when I browse a magazine, I look at it from back to front.

My handwriting is horrible. It looks like a 6 year old boy's writing. lol. My boss teases me because when he first got me on his crew, he expected to be able to tell my writing because I'm the only girl. But I actually almost have the worst handwriting out of all the guys.

jenluckenbach
03-20-2004, 02:57 PM
I look at it from back to front.

I do too (and I am right handed) LOL

Amber
03-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Righty :D

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 04:02 PM
I use the mouse right handed. Another random fact...I don't know if it's cause I am left handed, or because I am wierd...but when I browse a magazine, I look at it from back to front.

I do that too. :p I don't know why.... i'm curious now though, sinc other people do it too. Gosh, we can figure out why other animals do things, yet we can't even figure out our own species. lol

CountryWolf07
03-20-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm a righty.. can't write with my left..

Felicia's Mom
03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Posted earlier about being a lefty. I thought of some things I am better at with my right hand. I have not done any of them for many years.

1. Bowling- if I used my left hand, the ball usually went in the gutter. With my right hand it didn't.

2. Shooting a rifle or pistol.

3. Archery

You need to aim for all of all of those.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Very much right-handed. :p

I grew up doing everything with my right hand except write, cuz I'm a lefty. I use normal scissors, normal notebooks, etc. But those desks ARE a problem! I use the mouse on the right side... you just come accustomed to doing things the "normal" way... I throw, bat, pitch, etc. with my right. I didn't WANT to be different, so I got used to doing things with my left. But writing in notebooks is hard!

trayi52
03-20-2004, 11:22 PM
I am right handed. My dad was lefthanded, my son is a lefty and so is one of my granddaughters. I always love watching my son write, loved watching my dad write too. Dern, I miss my dad..

Willie

water_junkie
03-20-2004, 11:34 PM
righty-tighty

carole
03-21-2004, 02:49 AM
I am right handed, infact everyone in my family is right-handed, to be honest I cannot do anything very well left-handed, we should all learn to use both hands, could be darn useful.:)

smokey the elder
03-21-2004, 07:36 AM
I'm right handed. It's interesting about the left handed desks. I haven't looked to see if they have those at work, but they had them in some of the lecture halls at RPI.

RubyMutt
03-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm a righty

shais_mom
03-21-2004, 11:08 PM
VEEEEEEERRRRYYYY right handed!!!
I would be S-O-L if I ever break my right arm/hand, B/c I can't do anything left handed!