PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a dog to bow.. suggestions?

binka_nugget
03-19-2004, 03:09 AM
Kaedyn picked it up without a problem but I'm having trouble teaching Kai how to bow. I tried holding a treat between his feet, then pushing it towards him more but he'd automatically down. Then I tried having my hand hold his tummy while he bowed slightly. It worked for a bit but I find it really difficult to hold him up while he bows. Are there any other methods out there anyone could suggest?

wolfie
03-19-2004, 09:32 AM
You could have someone help you. You could hold the treat down while the other person keeps his belly up.

That is if someone is willing to help. :)

Crikit
03-21-2004, 10:50 AM
If you use a clicker one of the easiest ways is to keep the clicker and some treats nearby and wait for him to stretch and then click him right at that moment. If you do it often enough he might start to offer it and then you can add a vocal command to it.

MariaM
03-21-2004, 02:07 PM
I have never tried before, but I know there are a lot of dog training websites out there! maybe type in "train dog bow" or something. Hope that helps! =)

binka_nugget
03-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Crikit
If you use a clicker one of the easiest ways is to keep the clicker and some treats nearby and wait for him to stretch and then click him right at that moment. If you do it often enough he might start to offer it and then you can add a vocal command to it.

Ohh thanks! I just hope I have the clicker around me when he decides to bow. :o

anna_66
03-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Here is what a I have from our doggie classes:

1. Start with your dog in a standing position.
2. Put one hand under the back legs.
3. Give the command "bow" as you encourage the dog to slide down and back by showing the dog a treat/toy and moving the treat down to the ground between the front paws.
4. Praise & Reward as soon as the dog is in the bowing position.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 until the dog understands the command and can do it without any assistance from you.

rachel_in_FL
03-25-2004, 02:56 PM
I've done the same that anna_66 suggested. With Lucy, it worked. With Zeus, no luck. Oh well, some pups are good at some things, some pups are good at others. :D

clara4457
03-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by rachel_in_FL
I've done the same that anna_66 suggested. With Lucy, it worked. With Zeus, no luck. Oh well, some pups are good at some things, some pups are good at others. :D

You make a very good point. There are a lot of different positive training methods being used in dog training, which are all effective. Sometimes you have to use different methods for different dogs. A good example of that is training them not to jump on you. I found that some respond to body blocking and some respond to ignoring them. I think the method is not as important and finding a reinforcer for when they do things correctly - whether it is food, a toy, a click or verbal praise. :)

binka_nugget
03-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Ah, the power of clicker training and cheese. :D

Kai seemed to have figured it out after I offered cheese. Thanks for the tips everyone.

03-27-2004, 12:25 PM
you cant can you:confused:

binka_nugget
03-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 3320
you cant can you:confused:

Come again? :confused: :confused: