PDA

View Full Version : Cock Fighting...

Tonya
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Mike (my husband) just came home from work and told me all about cock fighting. He's lucky he didn't get his teeth knocked out.

Apparently, Pat (the one who has Teddy), lives next door to some hardcore cock breeder. Mike met the guy today. He makes over $300,000 a year selling fighting cocks to Mexico. He even has a special breed that looks female so the opposing cock usually freezes up and gets his butt kicked before he realizes it's a male...

My husband is so damn impressionable it's disgusting. He believes anything he hears. (Which sometimes works to my benefit. lol.) The guy has Mike convinced that it's humane because they clip their claws or whatever, so they win by knockouts, not death. "It's American style, not Mexican style; it's like a boxing match."

WTF? Do you really think that I want to hear about this? :mad: I told him he's an idiot and that he is strictly forbidden to talk to myself or anyone else about it. I let Mike know that if I ever meet the guy, he's getting a left hook from me.

I know it's immature to talk bad about my husband, but this really irked me. He listens to anything people say and it makes me so mad.

wolfie
03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
When I was searching through my school library a while ago (in the animal section of course! :)) I found an old book on cockfighting - it was really sick, it told you everything about fighting and preparing your chickens for the fight, ect. :( I have no idea why they had a book like that in a college library.

I'm sorry your husband believes it's humane. It totally isn't. It's like saying that dogfighting is humane if they break up the fight before a dog dies. :(

Tonya
03-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Well, I was able to convince him that it was cruel easily. But it just ticks me off that it even crossed his mind that it might be humane.

DJFyrewolf36
03-19-2004, 12:06 PM
I did a class assignment about Dog/cock fighting for a speech course about a year ago and what I found was majorly disgusting. Just because the chickens don't have claws doesn't mean they dont have other weapons (beaks being the obvious). Plus its been theorised (sp?) that the hormonal head trip two male chickens go into when they encounter another male is harmful and shortens life slightly because of the increase in blood pressure etc. In the course of a normal roosters life, he doesn't have daily disputes with other roosters unlike a fighting rooster. Seems to me that something like that could be harmful. Does anyone else know of any studies done on this subject? The info I got wasn't very clear or verifiable *like most internet sources*

ramanth
03-19-2004, 12:18 PM
:eek: I don't know about CA but cockfighting is illegal here in MI. If you have Animal Planet, sit him down and hopefully an episode about it on Animal Cops would come up.

Anyone just watching the fight will be arrested during a raid.

Humane? Yeah.. they chop their toe off and replace it with a metal blade. That's humane.

Knock him upside the head Tonya. :)

lv4dogs
03-19-2004, 12:48 PM
That is weird, here at work we have a trivial pursuit appoitment book & yesterdays ? was:

"what bloodsport was still legal in New Mexico, Oklahoma & Louisiana?"
Cockfighting (yup it is spelled as one word)

Now I have to look into it to see if it still legal in those places.

It is horrible & no fighting sport is ever "humane"

Tonya
03-19-2004, 05:56 PM
It's illegal in California.

RICHARD
03-19-2004, 06:03 PM
I used to fight my petcock....

It was really tough having to reach down between my legs and hassle with it while I rode my motorcycle.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
03-19-2004, 06:32 PM
just in case...

Petcock......

Definition: [n] regulator consisting of a small cock or faucet or valve for letting out air or releasing compression or draining.

:D It's the on/off/reserve valve on a motorcycle gas tank...get your head out of the gutter!

GoldenRetrLuver
03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
I find cock fighting just as inhumane/disgusting/WRONG as dog fighting.

Some people are just idiots. No offense to your husband. Why don't you show him how cruel it can be with websites, etc. (and pictures if you must.) Oh, and you can show him just how humane the 'American Style' is. :rolleyes: Some people.

As for the breeder.....I'll keep my mouth shut. :mad::mad::mad: What goes around comes around.

slick
03-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I used to fight my petcock....

It was really tough having to reach down between my legs and hassle with it while I rode my motorcycle.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation.

I wasn't going to cave to the pressure.:D

RICHARD
03-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by slick
Thanks for the explanation.

I wasn't going to cave to the pressure.:D

The operative word there is SMALL.......

Richard.....OUT!!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
I find cock fighting just as inhumane/disgusting/WRONG as dog fighting.

Some people are just idiots. No offense to your husband. Why don't you show him how cruel it can be with websites, etc. (and pictures if you must.) Oh, and you can show him just how humane the 'American Style' is. :rolleyes: Some people.

As for the breeder.....I'll keep my mouth shut. :mad::mad::mad: What goes around comes around.

ditto

Tonya, Call the humane society on those idiots!:mad: :mad: :mad: Arghhhh! Why do people have to treat animals the way they do? Why?

popcornbird
03-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver

Ditto! Cock fighting is sooooooooooooooooo cruel! :mad::mad::(:(

mahayana
03-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Forgive me for boring you all with the vegetarian viewpoint, but I see cockfighting as less cruel than what happens to most chickens. At least one of the mini-gladiators has a chance of living another day. Next time you're holding a piece of fried chicken in your fingers, think what kind of life and death he or she faced. Most of them get overcrowded cages, constant medication and hormones, then electrocution and dismemberment.

It is humans getting all excited about death and betting on it which you are really objecting to.

guster girl
03-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
Forgive me for boring you all with the vegetarian viewpoint, but I see cockfighting as less cruel than what happens to most chickens. At least one of the mini-gladiators has a chance of living another day. Next time you're holding a piece of fried chicken in your fingers, think what kind of life and death he or she faced. Most of them get overcrowded cages, constant medication and hormones, then electrocution and dismemberment.

It is humans getting all excited about death and betting on it which you are really objecting to.

Well said.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-21-2004, 11:29 AM
It is a VERY popular sport here in Bahrain. A few of the students in my English class regulalry attend cock fights. Some even own birds and participate. I find it hard to keep my mouth shut, and remain impartial when I grade them:(

mahayana
03-21-2004, 12:32 PM
They are raised at a place just outside of the town where I work. Magnificent roosters. Here they are each tethered to a horizontal oil drum on legs with doors cut in them. They get exercise, have their own food and water supply, shade and shelter.

I don't know if they get any handling or training, have never stopped there. There are probably 100 such birds being raised at this place, judging by the field full of drums. I would say that their life is not bad, at least up till the fight.

ziron
03-22-2004, 06:56 AM
any sport where 2 people or animals fight its really dumb to me

thats like makin a sport out of who can die the fastest

boxing I can deal with atleast they know what their doing and agree to it but birds don't people who are caught breedin the roosters and betting on this fights should meet Bubba at the bighouse

mahayana
03-22-2004, 07:41 AM
It is not illegal to raise any kind of chicken. It's illegal to fight them, most places. The truth is that roosters and many other birds have an instinct to kill their sexual competitors. It's hard to keep several roosters with your flock of hens, because they fight each other. Some people observing this invented cock-fighting. But the truth is the old rooster would get thrown in the pot eventually anyway.

Why are people fascinated with fighting and death? Why do they gamble? I think those are fair questions. I'm not so sure about throwing people in jail for catering to those tastes, or condemning them to eternal damnation...was that what you were saying? Am I detecting an aggressive instinct? Are you fightin' mad?

Just kidding.:)

ziron
03-22-2004, 08:01 AM
I just don't think its fair and just to the rooster all of em dieing just for fun??? least if u killed them for food thats something

guster girl
03-22-2004, 01:28 PM
To some people, it's that they're killed at all for our consumption. But, for most, it's simply the WAY they live and are subsequently killed for food.

mahayana
03-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I probably should leave this alone, but was just thinking about the national sport of Spain. The bullfight. Obviously cock-fighting is not exclusively Hispanic, but here it does have some Mexican ties. Is cock-fighting a poor man's bullfight? I wonder how cultural it is to gather and watch a real life and death drama, rather than our modern "fake" mayhem on TV, in movies, on video games.

Just rambling, excuse me. I really feel the same way about cock-fighting that I do about the Roman "games" of long ago ( or pro wrestling or "sport" hunting, for that matter). What kind of animals are we? Why do so many get off on this stuff?

Logan
03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Tonight, on Animal Planet, there was a show coming on about Cock Fighting. I changed the channel. :o

guster girl
03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Tonight, on Animal Planet, there was a show coming on about Cock Fighting. I changed the channel. :o

Don't be offended, but, why didn't you watch the show? I want to see it, now. I mean, being on Animal Planet, it's not going to be about advocating the "sport." I'm just curious.....

amoore
03-23-2004, 07:50 PM
I used to be married to a cock-fighter. I know there are both poor and rich people that enjoy the sport.

I felt bad for the poor little roosters. I always got attached to them. And I did not like it if one died. But they did kill each other if they were in the same pen together. It was their nature. The hens sometimes hurt each other, too.

I got one for a pet once because he ran from the other roosters at a fight.
His name was Twinkletoes. I named him that because he would dance down his perch when he saw me and would move to the side to get me to hold him. While I was away at work one day my ex sold him to somebody. No doubt for them to eat. :( Twinkletoes did not die from a rooster fight but from a human.:(

leslie flenner
03-24-2004, 08:06 PM
call it what it is.

and when they are half dead, they are kicked back into the fight. owners hold them by the throats to stop bleeding and force them to continue. Heads fall off and they continue (we all know it's possible with birds). It's sick. It's beyond cruel. It is not a sport. Look up the definition of sport. it is not forcing an animal to bleed to death all over a ring with men yelling at it to kill. And continuing to injure it. I say no more.

leslie flenner
03-24-2004, 08:17 PM
And it's true that the chickens we eat are subjected to horrific lives. cramped in boxes smaller than a bureau drawer with other chicken and only enough room to peck each other and themselves bare. Farmers cut off their beaks as a matter of course to lessen the behaviour but they still pick and peck and are miserable to no end.
McDonald's has at least stopped getting eggs from non-humane chicken farmers after many years of pressure from PETA. Kentucky Fried Chicken has refused to make that change which is why the character "George" from friends stopped doing ads with them. I won't buy chicken anything.

QueenScoopalot
03-26-2004, 03:36 PM
It is a horrible blood sport that pays out big money to the owner of the "winning cock"but not sure if any win in the end. :( Most have their cocks and combs sliced off, oftentimes the feathers from their chests are plucked out to ensure more blood etc. And of course the razors they attach to them where the spurs would be. Ughh. I was trapping cats around a local city and came across a gorgeous little rooster discarded in the gutter with his head chopped off. He was the loser of the fight that day. :( Very sad to see.

2kitties
03-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Men who take part in cock fighting are just acting out for an organ they don't have. Talk about a classic case of penis envy.

RICHARD
03-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Men who take part in cock fighting are just acting out for an organ they don't have.

I have always wanted a piano....does that count?
Not one of those baby pianos either....

I want a FULL SIZED ONE.:eek:

QueenScoopalot
03-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Richard.... you crack me up! And 2 kitties....good one :D :D :D !!!

amoore
03-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Richard .... you are always so funny! lol! Glad you are here.