PDA

View Full Version : Need to share the GREAT news!!

jazzcat
03-18-2004, 05:09 PM
My brother called and told us that his MS is finally in remission!!! :D

He's had a hard past two years and is in a wheelchair but he's finally able to use his walker more.

Just had to share because I'm so HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corinna
03-18-2004, 05:19 PM
thats so terrific I have a freind who has it too . I know the struggle to get it there and to maintain it. WAHOOO

G.P.girl
03-18-2004, 05:27 PM
hey that's great! my grandma has it, i think it's getting worse for her though:(

PayItForward
03-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Hurrah, for your brother. Great to hear he is in remission :)

Lixx
03-18-2004, 05:37 PM
That's wonderful! What great news!!!:D

catnapper
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
That is fabulous news. Now that he is in remission, does he have to do anything to maintain the remission, or is he there for good?

Tonya
03-18-2004, 06:50 PM
That is so wonderful!!!!!! MS can be so frustrating, I am very happy to hear that.

Felicia's Mom
03-18-2004, 07:28 PM
That is great news, I am very happy for you.

CathyBogart
03-18-2004, 07:54 PM
That's FANTASTIC!!!! I'm so happy for him!! :D :D :D

Logan
03-18-2004, 07:56 PM
That is wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for him (and for you)!!! :)

jazzcat
03-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
That is fabulous news. Now that he is in remission, does he have to do anything to maintain the remission, or is he there for good?

Yes, he has to be very careful or something as simple as a cold can start a flare. The introduction of any kind infection will make his immune system go into overdrive and start fighting his body. He has to try to stay cool, heat will make things worse, eat right and gets lots of rest. Just a little missed sleep and he gets worse. It's really sad and frustrating. He was diagnosed about 5 years ago at age 35 and it has changed his whole life. He went from being an extremely active person - skiing, playing softball, on the go all the time - to being confined to a wheelchair for the past year after he fell in the shower and broke his leg. Once that happened he lost his muscle mass quickly and getting out of the chair has been very difficult.

He also takes low doses of chemo every few months. Doctors have discovered that in low doses chemo helps to slow the progression of the disease and sometimes, like in his case, gets them back into remission. Unfortunately how long he will stay there is unknown. I'm just thankful he isn't getting any worse right now.

AmberLee
03-18-2004, 09:48 PM
I'm so happy for your brother and all your family. The remission is wonderful news!

Steffi N
03-18-2004, 10:17 PM
This is wonderful news. I am so happy for your brother and for you.

luckies4me
03-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I am so happy for you both. That is fantastic news! :D

Corinna
03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
My mom is learning so much in the classes shes taking for teaching water arobics. Has he gotten in to a water movement class? It helps build up the muscle mass but isn't stressing on the body. She was in a wheelchair for 2 years (diabetes) Now she is going to be a teacher for the YMCA and can go for about an hour or 2 out of the chair.
Ms is such a controvesaly disese so many ways to help each person. Just like diabetes its an idivaualized one. Prayers and good luck to your brother.

jazzcat
03-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
My mom is learning so much in the classes shes taking for teaching water arobics. Has he gotten in to a water movement class? It helps build up the muscle mass but isn't stressing on the body. She was in a wheelchair for 2 years (diabetes) Now she is going to be a teacher for the YMCA and can go for about an hour or 2 out of the chair.
Ms is such a controvesaly disese so many ways to help each person. Just like diabetes its an idivaualized one. Prayers and good luck to your brother.

Corrina - that is wonderful about your mom - how very impressive. I bet she is strong willed with a good outlook.

EssTer
03-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Great news.. I'm very happy about your brother!;)

Cataholic
03-19-2004, 11:53 AM
That IS great news!

dukedogsmom
03-19-2004, 12:29 PM
That is very good! I've got a cousin with that and he's had a hard time. Glad to hear your good news.

ramanth
03-19-2004, 12:32 PM
WONDERFUL news!!!! :D

gini
03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Congratulations, that is indeed wonderful news and thanks for sharing it with us. It has brightened the days for all of us.

rg_girlca
03-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Great news. I am very happy for your brother and you.

Albea
03-19-2004, 12:49 PM
That's great news about your brother!
Best wishes for his further recovery. He's young and his chances are much better with the new treatments.
I know somebody with MS and have seen how devastating it can be.

tatsxxx11
03-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Oh, what wonderful, wonderful news!:) I'm so happy for him and for you! A dear friend of mine suffers from MS and I know how challenging a disease it is. Hopes and prayers for his continued recovery:)

Corinna, your mom is truly an inspiration! What an amazing woman:) I wish her all the best with her teaching classes!