PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Dog

MariaM
03-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone, I am new, I just joined today but I have been going to Dogoftheday.com for the last couple years. I really, really, REALLY love dogs. I'm sure everyone here does. We used to travel alot, so I could never get one =(. Now we don't travel as much anymore, and I still want a dog, more than ever before. 2 things I need help on. My dad and I are trying to convince my mom to let me get a dog, but she is set against it. What can I do?? And also, if I get a dog from a breeder (notice the IF) could you supply me with a complete list of things to check? ex. health stuff, registration things etc. I figured this was the best place to ask. Thanks everyone, and pray that I get a ball of fluff to help me through life.

Kfamr
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
What are your mom's reasons against it?

I'm not sure aobut the breeder info, since i've never been to one myself, i'm sure someone else can help you there. I say adopt. :p

Welcome to Pet Talk, by the way! :D

binka_nugget
03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!

I'm Ashley and I used to be in your situation except, both my parents were against it. You see the dog on the top right corner (Kai) of my sig? He's my first dog and it took almost 12 years to get him. After him, it took a year to get Kaedyn. So anyways, just keep at it. I had to prove that I was responsible enough by doing the chores, being able to take care of myself and lots of other stuff. If I've learned anything from my 12 years of begging, it seemed like it worked better when I eased off the question. I still asked but not every day (haha).

If you do get a dog from a breeder, ask a whole bunch of questions concerning health, breeding practices and just about anything you can think of. I'm in the process of finding a breeder for my (future) Collie so I usually ask when they first breed their bitches, how often are they bred, when do they retire from their breeding program, what they feed their current dogs, what guarentees come with the pups, what testing is done prior to breeding, if their line shows sufficient instinct to take on hobby herding, and whole bunch more.

guster girl
03-17-2004, 10:10 PM
There are lots of sites that tell you the questions to ask when you talk to a breeder. I know when I was looking into getting a puppy, I just looked online for answers. If I can remember the site that had a list of questions, I'll post it. But, until then, or until you get answers elsewhere, just do a search on google or yahoo.... dog breeders, new puppy, etc. What kind of dog are you wanting to get? My boyfriend and I just got a labrador! He's a lot of work (24/7!!!), but, it's worth it! Good luck!

amoore
03-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Welcome to Pet talk MariaM! I agree you do need a doggy in your life. If your parents are happy with a dog it makes it better for you and your pet.

The shelters are full of dogs that are sitting there waiting on a forever home. There are some pretty wonderful dogs and puppies there. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
also check out www.petfinder.com (http://), you might find something there. Just enter your location and it will help you find dogs in your area. Good luck!!:) Do you have an idea of what you are looking for? Big or small? Long hair or short hair? Active or less active? Oh, and welcome!

micki76
03-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm in a hurry, but here are some sites that help you select the right breed for your lifestyle. :)

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

dukedogsmom
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
I wish you luck! Dogs are the best. I would follow binka_nugget's advice. Hopefully, your mom will come through for you. You need to have an idea of what kind of dog you want and also have to consider your living area. Like whether or not you have a fenced in yard, etc.

MariaM
03-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Well, really, ANY dog would do. We live in a town of 380 people or so and do have a fenced yard. I was thinking border collie, but I wasn't sure since it might get restless? We also have a farm 5 miles out, but I have never had a dog before so I don't know how much excercise border collies need. i was also thinking shetland sheepdog but my dad doesn't really like them, and he's on my side. my mom doesn't want a dog for several reasons. our winters get really cold and she wouldn't want it in the house, she doesn't want to take it to the vet, where would we put it when and if we went on vacation(we don't go as much anymore, but even if we did, i know at least 4 families that im sure would take it in), "the house would never be clean again" etc. etc. etc. and we have arguments usually at least once a week. in the end my mom is mad, im in tears, and my dad is frustrated. i know this isn't good, but my mom gets mad when i *mention* the word dog. so i don't know how my dad and i can approach the subject without her taking it bad and stuff. =/ help is appreciated.:confused:

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2004, 09:04 PM
While there are some dogs that are perfectly happy to live outside, I personally think a dog should be part fo the family and that means in the house. Even if it is in one or two rooms, they are pack animals and want to be with their pack.

For that reason, maybe you should look into a breed that does not shed or sheds little ( and for that I wouldn't recmonned a Border Collie or a Shetland). Try and use the sites Micki posted, they may help direct you. Maybe even answer the questions from your mom's point of view (non shedder, "clean" dog)

The vet issue is not something you can get around. I hate to say it, but if your mom will not make sure the dog recieves medical care, perhaps you should wait til you are on your own. If that means "she" doesn't want to take it, but your dad will, that may be something you can work out. Most vets have some evening and Saturday hours, so his work schedule may not even be a problem. If it is the cost of vet care, maybe you can earn money, even if it is just by helping around the house to help offset the cost.

Good Luck!

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Amy said basically everything I was going to say.

I believe you should wait until you're able to support the dog financially on your own, if this what your mother thinks of getting a dog.

dukedogsmom
03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
I agree, too. I wanted a horse all while I was growing up and though my parents would have loved to have given me one, they couldn't afford it. I know that's not the same issue but I had to wait until I was 18. I hate to see dogs outside all the time by themselves. That's one of the worst things you could do to a dog. They love to be around people. How about a smaller dog? There are cute ones like Jack Russell Terriers and I like the Italian Greyhounds. That might be something to think about. You might just have to wait until you get on your own to get a bigger one. See what your mom thinks about a smaller, slicker breed.

MariaM
03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
My mom hates small hairless breeds, I know that. The only kind she likes are golden colored Cocker Spaniels but I want a bigger dog. I definately would settle for that though. I doubt the finance part is a problem, we farm, so we don't have a lot of money, but most farms have a dog. My mom even said finance wasn't the problem. I think the dog could go in our basement since it is like cement floor and old carpets and stuff. And my mom is never in the basement anyway, usually like 5 minutes a day to get food from the freezer. Whereas I am here, at least 1-4 hours a day, more on weekends. Anymore advice would be appreciated. :)

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
My mom hates small hairless breeds, I know that. The only kind she likes are golden colored Cocker Spaniels but I want a bigger dog.

A dog doesn't have to be hairless to not shed. There are several dogs of varing sizes that shed less. Some of these are :Poodle, Bichon Frise, Bedlington Terrier, Miniature Schnauzer, Kerry Blue Terrier, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Maltese, Portuguese Water Dog, Italian Greyhound, Basenji.

One other thing to consider with many of these breeds, along with the cocker, is that although they do shed less, they require grooming.

MariaM
03-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Oh I'm absolutely fine with grooming! One time, we were on vacation in Whitehorse. I wa about 7 or 8 or so. There was the most beatiful golden retriever there names Lucy and I was brushing her outside on the grass. She looked so shiny when I was done and then she just rolled in the grass and got her coat all dirty again! It was so funny! Lucy was a wonderful dog =) And on Tuesday I got to go to my friend Katherine's house and brush their golden retriever, Hanson! He's such a wonderful hyperactive dog! =D I love dogs! =D =D

FizzGiggs_Mommy
03-21-2004, 08:35 AM
What Cincy'sMom was saying is that certin breeds of dogs need to go to a groomer on a regular basis.
The gromer bathes, cuts nails, expreses anal glands and cuts there hair.
Breeds that do not shed grow there hair like humans. There fur does not shed out and if it is not cut and washed on a regular basis it will mat and matting and cause skin problems and is very uncomfortable for the dog as is a ugly site also. I am a mommy to a Bichon Frise and I HAVE to take him to the groomers every six weeks. Depending on the groomer and the style of cut you get depends on the price I usually pay around $40.00 per grooming session.

Breeds that do shed there hair such as boxers, Pugs and Goldens can make due with a good brushing once a day and a bath once every 12 weeks to help control shedding.

You also must remember that to have a well behaved dog you must go through some sort of training. Eiter through a trainer or throught home training either way it takes time and patience. I have three dogs which all have received there good canine citizen award.

I also noticed that in one of your post that you do not seem to be home to much. You must remember to have a well socilized dog you must spend lots of time with them and lots of outside the home time such as dog parks and pet stores and regular parks if not you may have aggression problems and other issues.

I hope this help and the help everyone has given you here in PT will help you on your way to becoming a responcible pet owner

MariaM
03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Ahhh I see now what you were talking about, thanks for explaining! I really could not afford $40 every six weeks and my mom definately wouldn't want to take the dog, I don't blame her though.
And IF I ever get a dog, I would LOVE to train it! I was having fun with Oscar, my aunt and uncles dog. I tried to teach him a trick while I was there but I spose he might have been to old to learn quick since I was only there for a week. I probably could have taught him if I was there longer. Oscar is so loveable!! =D I don't know what you mean by not being home much. Maybe I'm not?? I go to school every weekday but I'm home after school. The only day I'm not is in Thursday but that should stop in May, and I probably won't have a dog by then =( My mom is home 24/7 though. Too bad she doesn't actually *want* a dog, but she might warm up to one like she did Oscar =) [We had to take care of him for a week in St. Louis last August] I did mostly everything but my mom fed him in the morning and let him out because she was always up earlier, I think she started to like him but she'll never admit it ;) There aren't any dog parks in this town of 380 people, I don't think there are in Yorkton (25 minutes away) either... We do have the schoolground and another park though.

MariaM
03-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh another question I had! I wondered, what do you guys feed your dogs/puppies? I know my mom would probably buy predisent's choice dog food (or I would buy it, not sure, haven't even gotten the 'ok' yet lol) but should I pay the extra money for Iams, or Pedigree or Purina food? Opinions wanted ;)

MariaM
03-23-2004, 07:35 PM
:( anyone?

wolfie
03-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Oh another question I had! I wondered, what do you guys feed your dogs/puppies? I know my mom would probably buy predisent's choice dog food (or I would buy it, not sure, haven't even gotten the 'ok' yet lol) but should I pay the extra money for Iams, or Pedigree or Purina food? Opinions wanted ;)

There was a thread about this a little while ago. Different people think different things about what is the best food. Some people say dog foods with meat as the #1 ingredent (like Iams and Purina One) are better, some people only look for a food with no bad preservatives (Kibble and Bits has some kind of bad preservative in it). Some people only buy people grade dog food (like Chicken Soup Dog Food), or food not tested on animals (Iams does, or did do, animal testing).

You also want a brand your dog likes! ^_^ Generally the cheap store brands are not a good choice, but some dogs live long healthy lives being fed these foods. So, it's up to you!

MariaM
03-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Yay! Someone replied! Thank you! I'll wait for a few more opinions though, just to see you know? Well anywho, thanks!