PDA

View Full Version : petstore pup

lute
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
i went to the petstore yesterday and fell in love with a little chihuahua puppy. he was so beautiful and i doubt he would get ver 3 lbs as an adult. i asked my dad and he said..."you have a birthday comming up" i know i really shuldnt get a puppy from a petstore. but he was too cute and i want a small chihuahua or yorkie and you dont see those in shelters very often especialy a puppy. what can i do to remind me not buy from a petstore. another thing that adds to this struggle is my parents don't like dealing with how strict the shelters and adoption proceses are.:( :( :mad: :mad:

KYS
03-17-2004, 06:48 PM
If you have your heart set on a chihuahua,
you might want to check out the internet for
a chihuahua rescues.
(the only reason why adoptions are strict is they
want to make sure the dog goes to a good home.)
If you have no luck with a rescue, than
how about a reputable breeder.
You can usually find a list of breeders at
the AKC web site.
Purchasing a pet quality puppy from a reputable breeder is
cheaper than buying a pup from a pet shop.

GoldenRetrLuver
03-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by lute
another thing that adds to this struggle is my parents don't like dealing with how strict the shelters and adoption proceses are.:( :( :mad: :mad:

They just want to make sure the puppies/dogs go to the BEST home possible.
Don't buy a chihuahua or any other dog from a petstore. Try finding a responsible breeder in your area, or a rescue/no kill shelter. There's bound to be a dog who's just 'right' for you; you just have to be patient.

BCBlondie
03-17-2004, 07:32 PM
The adoption process is not always so strict. It depends on where you get the dog (or pet). I fostered three kittens for our local shelter a year ago, and they didn't even ask us on the fostering application if we had other pets or anything. We fostered all three for about 4 weeks and decided to keep them all. :) I don't even really remember filling out adoption papers for them. The lady knew us and knew we take really good care of the cats because they were so healthy and good weight, and we got all three for about $100 total (which included spaying/neutering and kitten shots). I think fostering is a great idea because you can have the dog and see his temperament and stuff. I always see lots of small dogs at shelters as well, many chihuahua mixes and stuff. Just keep an eye out... Check website listings of available dogs in your local shelter or visit the shelter yourself. Also, I can tell you want a puppy but I hope you have done your research and understand how much care and time puppies need. Puppies are cute, but if you get an older dog, a lot of times they've already matured (depending on how old they are) and usually have been housebroken already. Good luck in your future dog search if your parents let you get a dog!

binka_nugget
03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm sure this would stop anyone from buying from a pet store.[/URL]

Here's a site of a Chihuahua rescue and transport. [URL]http://www.chihuahua-rescue.com/ (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kgaeding/puppy/picsmills.html)

Remember that when you buy from a pet store, you're gambling BIG TIME with their health and temperment. Would you rather pay double the price for a dog that may end up dying within it's first year with you because of it's poor health? Or, having a dog that has an unsteady temperment that will force you and your parents to give it up?

Explain to your parents that the strict adoption policies are only to ensure that dogs go to the best homes available for them and that your family gets the best possible match. They wouldn't want a dog that doesn't get along with kids to go to a home with 5 kids right? It's just to ensure that both the dog and the family will be happy together.

aly
03-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Shelters and rescues are not stict really. They just want to be sure the dog will be well cared for and loved. What is it exactly that would cause you to be denied by a shelter? Maybe you should fix whatever they don't like.

lute
03-18-2004, 03:17 PM
ive seen both of those sites before,and i have seen lats of puppymills before and have even been to one(that is still in business). i have told my parents abut puppymills and showed them pics of them and everything.the sad thing is,they just say "ew" or "aww poor things". that it......my parents say that i belong on a farm.lol. n one else in my family has a thing for animals like do.

My Peanuts
03-18-2004, 03:40 PM
We adopted Harley in August and the whole process was amazingly quick. All we did was meet him in a little room and play with him for a few minutes. Then I filled out a form, which took about 10 minutes. After that they put a hold on him and we brought Sylvia for a "dog interview." The interview took about 5 minutes, and after that he went into surgery to be altered. We picked him up the next day.

I know some shelters ask that the whole family be there and that they meet the dog several times before adoption. When we adopted Harley only my brother and I went to the shelter. (he's 28 and I'm 23 so we weren't like two little kids walking in) It really was easy, but this is a huge shelter and they try to get homes for a lot of dogs.

lute
03-18-2004, 04:31 PM
i dont think they are worried about how long it will take. they just think they are picky on lke refrences and vet stuff. when we got beanie we took him home the same day we met him. i'm gonna keep trying to convince them it's worth it.

Logan
03-18-2004, 07:07 PM
If you're going to buy a puppy, find a qualified breeder and avoid the Pet Store. Lute, you post enough in the Rescue section to know that many of these dogs started in a Pet Store. There is nothing wrong with getting a puppy and your parents seem to be hung up on the papers and such, so I'm sure they would rather you buy from a reputable breeder than through the Pet Store. I have to stay away from Pet Stores. I want to take them all........it makes me sick. I just know that they will be replaced the next day if I were to take one, so I don't even look anymore.