PDA

View Full Version : Seeing is believing.......

RICHARD
03-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Elderly hit and run driver was registered deaf and blind

A hit and run driver who ran over a policeman in Romania turned out to be registered deaf, blind and 84-years-old.

Aurel Blidaru was on his way to collect his pension when he hit the off duty police officer in the western town of Timisoara.

He left the policeman lying in the road with a broken leg and drove off with police patrol cars in pursuit.

Officers said they could not believe it when he finally climbed out of the car wearing dark glasses and carrying a white stick.

Bildaru, who was now been stripped of his driving licence, said: "I didn't realise that I'd hit someone. I had a feeling I heard some kind of a noise but I thought it was coming from the car engine."

He added: "I've been driving since 1950 and I've never had any problems. I am registered as deaf and blind, but can still see a bit out of one eye, and I know the route so well to the bank that I don't usually have any problems. And I can hear fine - if people shout at least."

He said he was planning to ask for his licence back and was prepared to re-sit his driving test if necessary. He said: "I have never had any problems before."
---------------------

Imagine that.......

Instead of his pension he gets a SUSpension...

How did this guy get a licence anyway???

pitbullmommy
03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
that is the reason i think there should be an age limit on drivers...we had to take plugs off of my great grandmothers car so she wouldnt drive anymore. she was getting really bad she got in the car one day and drove across town and call home not knowing where she was.:(

slick
03-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Sounds like the drivers around here in New Westminster. In my community you are either a "newlywed" or "almost dead". (Hey, where does that leave me???)

Anyway if you try to get anywhere around here in the middle of the day you have to allow an extra 1/2 hour because of all the elderly drivers.

My Dad (RIP) drove until he was 82.

RICHARD
03-17-2004, 01:14 PM
my dad drove until he was 79, well actually he drove until he was 77, He just scared my mom for the last two years....

DJFyrewolf36
03-18-2004, 12:43 PM
I think half the drivers here *Carson City Nv* are deaf, blind and rather stupid....
Ugh, I hate having a small car, Id be safer if I walked!
Why do old people drive tuna boat cars anyhow?

Twisterdog
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by pitbullmommy
that is the reason i think there should be an age limit on drivers...we had to take plugs off of my great grandmothers car so she wouldnt drive anymore. she was getting really bad she got in the car one day and drove across town and call home not knowing where she was.:(

We had to do that to my Grandpa, as well. He was driving up on curbs, down the center line ... and once he went in a fast-food drive-through lane the wrong way! And this was all after he had already had his driver's license taken away! :(

You know what they say .... "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like my Grandpa ... not screaming like the passengers in his car." ;)