PDA

View Full Version : Bo Protesting

K & L
03-17-2004, 09:37 AM
We got one of the electric litter boxes a while back and we just LOVE it. Unfortunately Bo doesn’t!! We’ve been having problems with her lately doing her numbers in the house. First I thought it was because of Avon, but they get along really well, so shot down that idea. Then I thought, oh great she’s getting a URI and was going to take her to the vet…but….yesterday when she went near the litter box she hissed and ran!! I think she’s afraid of the noise it makes. She’s been going the bathroom in the same place at the house so it‘s not like she’s in pain and associating the pain with the area she goes. *sigh* I’m afraid we’re going to have to resort to a 2nd regular litter box in the house. DRAT…this electric one has been so convenient, always clean, little to no odor….WAHHHH…I don’t want to go back to the regular, but for my Bo I will do anything!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately it sounds like you're going to need to resort to the old fashioned bend and scoop method. ;) It could just be a matter of time before she gets used to it though......

Good luck with her and please give her extra smoochies from me for being such a spoiled little girl. ;) :)

K & L
03-17-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm going to try and introduce her slowly again. I thought I'll put the regular away for awhile and just gradually move it closer and closer to the electric one. I sure hope this passes! If not, we'll just keep 2 inside.

ramanth
03-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Oh, silly Bo! The noisy litter box won't get you!

catcrazylady
03-17-2004, 10:17 AM
ROFLOL! I'm sorry to laugh but I had the visual of Bo hissing at the new fangled litter box! Cats are just so expressive!
:D :D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
I really didn't mean to laugh but that struck me as funny. I hope you get things worked and maybe Bo will become used to it time. Then again, maybe not. You know how contrary they can be!!

I'm glad to know that you like the auto litter box. We have heard good and bad about it here on PT. I wasn't sure if my cats would adjust or not. Would it still work for a silly cat that is a major digger? You know, one that has to dig to the bottom before he will go. I have a feeling I might be wasting my money. Since some of your cats were feral and are still skittish like mine I am interested to know how well they handled the change. Except for Bo that is!!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

K & L
03-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
ROFLOL! I'm sorry to laugh but I had the visual of Bo hissing at the new fangled litter box! Cats are just so expressive!
:D :D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
I really didn't mean to laugh but that struck me as funny. I hope you get things worked and maybe Bo will become used to it time. Then again, maybe not. You know how contrary they can be!!

I'm glad to know that you like the auto litter box. We have heard good and bad about it here on PT. I wasn't sure if my cats would adjust or not. Would it still work for a silly cat that is a major digger? You know, one that has to dig to the bottom before he will go. I have a feeling I might be wasting my money. Since some of your cats were feral and are still skittish like mine I am interested to know how well they handled the change. Except for Bo that is!!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

It is funny!! And you can't help but laugh. All the others have adjusted to it just fine, even the ones that dig to China. Bo is very skittish and afraid of any strange or loud noise. When I pull the vacuumn out she's gone for at least a couple hours after it's been shut off. The weird thing is she went in it at first, but wants nothing to do with it now! It does have a couple of glitches, but worth it as far as I'm concerned. I love having it always clean and NO odor!!!

jazzcat
03-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Poor Bo, I don't blame her. It's just like the public restrooms with automatic flushing toilets - they scare me too. I feel like someone is watching me and flushing for me - creepy!!!

Catsnclay
03-17-2004, 12:53 PM
K & L.......you said that she went into the new box at first, but now hisses. By any chance did it snag her?? Did it start to work before she got out and maybe caught her paw in there?

Also some cats just HATE change. Remember the insident with Fluffy and when I changed litter on him??!! :eek: :mad:

Just a thought........

kimlovescats
03-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Poor Bo, I don't blame her. It's just like the public restrooms with automatic flushing toilets - they scare me too. I feel like someone is watching me and flushing for me - creepy!!!

ROFLOL!!!!!! I'm always afraid to put my bottom down, afraid I'll get caught in the sudden and unexpected jet propulsion cyclone!!! :D

I too have wondered about the automatic potty boxes ... would love to try one sometime. I have a few that like to dig and dig and dig as well!!! :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
03-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
ROFLOL!!!!!! I'm always afraid to put my bottom down, afraid I'll get caught in the sudden and unexpected jet propulsion cyclone!!! :D

You said what *I* was thinking:o I hate those things.

As for the litter boxes - my son and DIL have one and LOVE it. I keep looking at them in the pet section - am tempted. I love the idea of an always clean box and amd forever scooping to keep them spotless. The one my son has - there is an electric eye thingy that prevents it from cleaning if anything is in the way - (like an overly fastidious cat making their way to china) It will also clean on demand if somebody makes a big stinky and it is not due to cycle. Their's is called "Littermaid".

Funny about Bo!!!:D :D Like hissing at the machine does soem good??:D :D

Sirrahsim
03-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
It's just like the public restrooms with automatic flushing toilets - they scare me too. I feel like someone is watching me and flushing for me - creepy!!!

Japan is the home of very complex western toilets. In a lot of places they only have "squatty potties" but at this place that my husband and I frequent there is a toilet with al the perks- heated seat, lots of buttons (all written in kanji, so i dunno what they do) and even a little towel thing that wipes the seat after you've done your business... I think it even has the little things that spray water up out of the seat.... EWWWWww I'm always afraid that I'm going to hit the wrong button and get a shower rather than flush the thing!

Back to the topic:rolleyes: :D I don't know how Boomer would react to one of those boxes. He is a SERIOUS litter flinger. Even with a cover on his box he still manages to coat the laundry room floor with litter each time he goes. I think he'd probably fling out ALL of the litter if the thing wasn't covered
:D

IttyBittyKitty
03-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by K & L
We got one of the electric litter boxes a while back and we just LOVE it. Unfortunately Bo doesn’t!! We’ve been having problems with her lately doing her numbers in the house. First I thought it was because of Avon, but they get along really well, so shot down that idea. Then I thought, oh great she’s getting a URI and was going to take her to the vet…but….yesterday when she went near the litter box she hissed and ran!! I think she’s afraid of the noise it makes. She’s been going the bathroom in the same place at the house so it‘s not like she’s in pain and associating the pain with the area she goes. *sigh* I’m afraid we’re going to have to resort to a 2nd regular litter box in the house. DRAT…this electric one has been so convenient, always clean, little to no odor….WAHHHH…I don’t want to go back to the regular, but for my Bo I will do anything!

It's funny you say that ... when Pixel was having her "troubles" we replaced the two litter trays with two litter trays with covers and doors. Pixel keept going on the ground because she refused to go in there! I couldn't even push her through the door. Now we have to have one litter open and it still gets stinky. Sigh. At least it's fixed up her little problem ...

Laura's Babies
03-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Yesterday at Pet Smart, I saw a Dome litter box that had a ramp inside to get the litter off their feet as they walked out... I thought that would be perfect for Amy since she has trouble some days stepping out of the big box with cover. On her bad days she has to drag her back legs out of the boxes I have.This one has a cover too, but they are SO big that I don't have room for something that big...

My neighbor has one of those self cleaning boxes and her old 9 year old uses it but if it is cleaning, he won't go near it. I think they would get use to it if it is kept close to the other one but it may take awhile so don't give up.. My neighbor said that was the best investment she ever made. She is disabled and can't do the stoop to scoop...

catmandu
03-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I thought of getting an electric Litter Box , but they are costly , and I am afraid that my Cats , especually my Bo , would havethe same reaction. So it is Hi Diddley Di , Clumping Litter for me!

K & L
03-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies

My neighbor has one of those self cleaning boxes and her old 9 year old uses it but if it is cleaning, he won't go near it. I think they would get use to it if it is kept close to the other one but it may take awhile so don't give up.. My neighbor said that was the best investment she ever made. She is disabled and can't do the stoop to scoop...

It is wonderful and Bo seems to be the only one that has a problem with it. I'm hoping we can get this worked out with her! It is costly, but well worth it for us. I was always nagging:eek: Kevin to CLEAN the litter box so this one has helped tremendously;)