PDA

View Full Version : Today is....

Edwina's Secretary
03-16-2004, 03:30 PM
primary election day here in Illinois. I've voted already and now it is your chance to vote for best thread of 2003...right here!

Vote! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45340)

Cinder & Smoke
03-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Today is....
primary election day here in Illinois.

I've voted already ...

How many times ??

:eek:
:cool:

:p ... pfffffft! :D

Randi
03-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Yes, it is important to vote and let the politicians know what you think of them!! If you don't, you can't really complain, or change anything. :eek:

Sara, thanks also for the reminder of "Thread of the year!" ;)

Phred, it's not a huge task - you only vote once. (I know you have. ;) )

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-17-2004, 10:18 AM
I voted last night after work. The workers had been there all day and were tired. I tried to make a little small talk since I was the only one there.....biiiig mistake. :rolleyes:

I made the mistake of asking why we need to declare a party in the primary elections. I like to just vote for whoever I want regardless of their party and I didn't want to declare myself a democrat or a republican. So I asked about it....big mistake. I ended up getting about a 1/2 hour lecture on the rules of voting and how voting works in other countries and all the while these two older men kept giving each other dirty looks while they took turns explaining it all from their point of view. Turns out they had been debating this topic amongst themselves all day. They had finally put it to rest and here I come asking my dumb questions, riling things up again. The others at the table were probably thinking to themselves that why didn't I just take my ballot and vote and leave them alone! Thankfully, after the 1/2 hour lecture, they only had about 15 minutes left before they could wrap things up and head for home.....and hopefully a nice long bath to calm themselves down. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Cinder & Smoke
03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

I tried to make a little small talk since I was
the only one there.....biiiig mistake. :rolleyes:

I made the mistake of asking why we need to
declare a party in the primary elections...

these two older men kept giving each other dirty looks
while they took turns explaining it all from their point of view...
;) :rolleyes: :D

Sounds like ya only had time to vote wunst. :( :p :D

As for Riling Up the Poll Workers :D ...
Been There, Dun THAT!

Same Issue - having to "declare" a Party...
Many years ago...
W:eek:W! :eek:
NEVER shudda asked THAT Question! :rolleyes:
Thought a couple of the Ole Biddies were gonna have a STROKE!

Nowadays I try to "limit" my banter to:
1) A "nuetral" comment about the Weather - but even THAT can
develop controversy - it's usually 50-50 Too Hot/Cold in
the School Gym on voting day! :rolleyes:
2) Have you had a good turn-out today?
3) Gotta run - Dawgs are waiting in the car...

Phred

Edwina's Secretary
03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Living in Chicago where politics = life*, there is one person I ALWAYS make sure I speak to at the polls. The ward heeler (I'm not sureof his exact title.) I want to make sure my Alderman knows I ALWAYS vote. Then when I call the Alderman's office because I need something (building permit, sewer cleaned out, noisy nieghbor taken care of) the Alderman knows my name!

*Chicago is called the Windy City because of the politicians -- not the weather!