PDA

View Full Version : Cat Show Questions

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-16-2004, 02:38 PM
For those who have gone to cat shows....

The one in the Chicago area is coming up this weekend. We're trying to decide whether we should go early on Saturday or in the late afternoon/early evening. The show goes until 8:00 pm and the last "event" is at 6:00 pm.

So my question is, once the judging is done (all in the morning/early afternoon), do the people normally leave right away so there wouldn't be too many kitties for us to see? The events are all dog events, and not that there's anything wrong with dog events, I would really prefer to see more kitties so if the people showing them usually leave after the judging is done, that would mean we'd have to go earlier rather than later.

Any experience out there on this?

Thanks! :)

moosmom
03-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Tubby & Peanut's Mom,

I've shown MooShoo and Maya Linn at cat shows. They normally don't allow exhibitors to leave the building until the show is over with.

The best time to get there is noon. If you get there when the doors open, most of the exhibitors are too busy preparing and grooming their cats to stop and talk to you. Plus they're not that great about letting you pet their animals. BTW, ALWAYS ask if you may pet them first. People are REAL funny about that too. Some will say no, but MOST are very accommodating, as long as you use a hand sanitizer (take some with you or, sometimes they'll have it on hand).

I absolutely LOVE going to cat shows, and miss showing my two champs. It can be VERY expensive to show them. And I think it's more for breeders than anything else.

I enjoy talking to the different cat breeders (especially the Sphynx breeders), asking them questions about the care of the Mooman.

Go, have a GREAT time and don't forget to take pictures!!! Make sure you look for the Sphynx and Devon Rex cats (Devon Rex is basically a Sphynx with short wavy fur).

Catsnclay
03-16-2004, 05:44 PM
I have attended several cat shows and Moosmom is right.....everyone has to stay for the entire show, and don't just reach out to touch ........they get VERY upset at you! :eek:

Also if you happen to stop & watch a judging, do not talk! They all thake this very seriously and it is a business to them. The cats are "working" and the breeders get very upset if they are distracted by anything. Apparently it takes points away from them.

If you are a good judge of people, you will figure this all out right away and the ones that are friendly, will talk to you. The ones that aren't......well, lets not go there ;)

Have fun, and make sure you visit the vendor's booth section. Lots of cat items that you won't find in stores.

RedHedd
03-16-2004, 05:48 PM
If you want to take pics, ask first. When KAK, AmberLee and I went to the cat show in January, one exhibitor got really PO'd at me for taking a pic of her cat in the ring.

We went early, but not when the doors first opened. It does get busier around noon, but then cats are awake and if they're not in their crates, they will be in the judging rings or being groomed or shown off by their exhibitors. At the show we went to judging was going on all day.

You will be tempted to buy all kinds of cute/fun kitty stuff both for the fur-kids and yourself. Practicing restraint of plastic was difficult for me, but I succeeded. ;)

Have fun and post pics!