PDA

View Full Version : growth spurts

guster girl
03-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey, I've asked this before, and, didn't get any response. But, I'm just trying to be prepared here. My labrador's parents were both bigger than average labradors (93 - father, and, 87 - mother), but, Finn is only about 12.5 pounds at 12 weeks. When do they usually have their growth spurts? It's just getting a little old when everyone asks me if my puppy is kinda small for his age. Not because they're asking, but, because I don't really know the answer! :) He's very healthy, so, I'm also not really concerned about that. Basically, I'd just like to be prepared, like I said. I don't want to get a huge kennel, if he's only going to be a medium size dog. Anyway....Any info would be appreciated.

lv4dogs
03-16-2004, 10:40 AM
It is really hard to tell, as each dog is different & it depends on his genetics. Even though his parents are big, his granparents could of been smaller and he could of inherited the grandparents genes, etc..
A lab is not supposed to be too tall, Ussually by about 6-9 months of age you will see their full grown size (height anyways), although they can still fill out some.
Is he on a good quality puppy food?
you dont want too big of a crate until he is fully trained, so I would just get a crate that would fit him for a couple months, then go out & buy a larger one. But most crates that are listed for that breed should fit him just fine, you van always get one now, & just block off part of so he only has room to stand, turn & lay down.
sounds like a cutie! Do you have any pics? I havent had a puppy in a long time so a pic of his size may help me out a little more here.
good luck!

guster girl
03-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Well, there are actually quite a few photos of Finn already on this board, but, I'll try to get a couple of him that are the most recent. He actually eats about a pound of meat a day, plus veggie puree and eggshell powder for calcium. He was born on the 24th of December. He weighed 7.7 pounds on the 16th of February. And, he is about 12.5 pounds now, at 12 weeks. He has been gaining weight, obviously, and, he has gotten taller in the last week and a half. As for the crate, right now, he's still in my Bengal's crate. I'll be getting a larger crate in the next couple of weeks or so. And, I just keep thinking his head and feet look like he's going to be big. I was just wondering, though, if anyone had any ideas. :)

These two were about 8 1/2 to 9 weeks old
http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kariann918/Cnv0544.jpg http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kariann918/Cnv0537.jpg

These two were both at least 10 weeks. :)

http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kariann918/Cnv0546.jpg http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kariann918/Cnv0545.jpg

lv4dogs
03-16-2004, 11:08 AM
What a cutie! I remember his pics now! (sorry there are so many on here it's hard to keep track).
I'm not an expert on labs but I do know quite a bit about them & it seems as if he will be a perfect size for a lab! I think the proper height for labs is about 22-24 inches for males & 21-23 at the shoulders (give or take half or 3/4 inches).

DogLover9501
03-16-2004, 11:41 AM
We used to have a black lab, and all I remember is that he was about 11.5 pounds at 8 weeks, or somewhere around that maybe 12.

I think Jasper is also small for his age, because alot of boxer owners said that theres was 45-50 pounds at 6 months, thats big lol Jasper is about 35 and is 6 months.

But like you said, theyre healthy right? they'll grow ;)

Shelteez2
03-16-2004, 01:26 PM
I just wanted to point out that since you are feeding a raw diet he will grow slower than if he was being fed kibble. I have heard this from several people who have raised litters on raw. The pups matured slower (better for joints) but they seemed more advanced in muscle tone than kibble fed pups at the same age.

guster girl
03-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the information. I think part of the problem is that I've been comparing him to puppies that are big for their age, too! I think he'll be what the average is supposed to be. I was also going on what his parents weigh, and, they are both big for labradors. He is doing so well, and, is so beautiful, though, I don't really care too much if he's as big as his daddy. :)

RobiLee
03-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Finn is super super cute!! I wouldn't worry too much about his weight right now. It sounds like he is doing fine. Just make sure he is healthy, well fed and well loved, which I know he is ;) . If it helps any my Katie weighed 12 pounds at 12 weeks and she is an Akita which is a large breed dog. I thought she seemed small for her age and maybe she was the runt of the litter. Now at 11 months she is holding steady at 80 pounds! We never thought she would get that big. She is about the right weight for a female akita. We think she may even grow some more over the next year. So try not to worry too much about Finn. He looks like he is going to turn out to be a beauty!

Robin :)

guster girl
03-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks, Robin! Ya know, it's so weird. I've always preferred several other breeds over labradors, and, even chocolate labradors over yellow and black. But, my boyfriend and I met Finn and just fell. His coloring is so pretty. I find myself just looking at him, and, wondering how we got so lucky! He has such a beautiful face, and, such a good looking head. And, he's so sweet! And, I discovered that he likes to dance! I was sortof just swaying around to a song and I picked him up. He fell asleep! It was so sweet. Anyway, yeah, he's definitely healthy. I watch him closely, as I don't want him to be skinny or fat. I think I'm going to start feeding him a little bit more at each meal pretty soon, as he gobbles his food up in a hurry. :) He's such a cool dog.

RobiLee
03-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Awww, that is so sweet. I can just picture you 2 swaying to the music and him falling asleep. Love it!

Robin :)