PDA

View Full Version : another post about cat harnesses

Sirrahsim
03-15-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm not crazy- I know that Boomer at one time didn't mind his harness too much! But now I just have to touch the thing and he runs to hide under the bed:( I thought about getting him a walking jacket, but I'm bound and determined to get him to accept a harness again! Once I finally do wrangle him and pull the harness on him he acts as though it's killing him. You know, the whole laying flat on tummy and slithering around like a snake act. I know it's not too tight, he can wriggle right out of it when he wants to, but just to check myself, how tight should it be around his chest? It's just like the one Sammy is wearing in his shopping thread. The way Boomer acts you'd think that the thing digs into his armpits and forces him to lay flat (though he seems to forget about all that when I let him out on the porch with it on.)

If I can get him to take to the harness again it would be MUCH easier to smuggle him down to parking lot for a car ride without being seen by the building supervisors!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I think this is really just an act they put on, and it's only because they are unfamiliar with having something around them like that. If you look at Edwina's Secretary's thread about Eddie's new coat, you'll see that he, too, walks like that - until he sees something of interest and then he forgets all about the harness. I remember her saying that about Edwina too.

So my suggestion would be to put it on him, let him go through his "you're killin' me here" routine for a little bit, then try and distract him with one of his favorite toys or treats, or even some catnip. I'm thinking that after a little bit when he realizes it's really not hampering his movements, he'll just forget about it.

This whole process may take a few trys, but the more you put it on him the faster he'll get used to it.

Good luck, and we'd LOVE to see some of those "snake cat" pics. :D

sirrahved
03-16-2004, 12:12 PM
I know that when we got a harness, both of our cats had the exact same reaction: They would not move. EVEN if we got their treats and shook them. We didn't have to be holding on to the harness/leash. It just had to be on them for them to start freaking out! If we DID try to walk them, they would both flop like they were paralyzed.

We tried using the harness, trying to get them used to it, about 20 times each. After that, we figured there was no hope and tossed the thing.

felinefanatic
03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Wow, I just read everyones problem with kitty harneses. I am planning on taking my precious little billy out on some summer time strolls.I guass I better start getting him trained for the harness now. Can any one tell me which type of harness is the safest? He is dying to go outside, but I don't want him to wriggle out of harness and escape!! Any advice on harnesses would be great.

that feline fanatic