PDA

View Full Version : anesthetic and over weight cat (dental)

mspepper
03-15-2004, 08:01 PM
hello.. my cat pepper is getting dental on wednesday.. she went today for blood work and will get the results tomorrow.. she also had an anitbiotic today as well... the vet said she is overweight and anesthetic could be a risk.. she is 15 pound tabby cat... any one else have a chubby cat go under anesthetic? was everything okay??/ I was told the anesethic today is much better than the anesthetic used in the past and that is does not linger in the fat tissue like it once did.is chubby cats and that pepper should be okay but I still worry..... taking every precaution but i still worry

jazzcat
03-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi and welcome to PT!

My oldest cat Ripley had his teeth cleaned last year when he was almost 11 years old and he weighed about 18-19 pounds. He did just fine. His only problem was that his pre-screen blood test showed his kidney function was not at the normal level but the vet decided he needed the dental too much to not do it. He's a big cat but he was still about 3 pounds over weight at the time and he had no ill effects. Actually, my vet didn't even discuss his weight as being a specific concern he just warned me of the dangers in general.

Hope this helps a little and best of luck to Pepper. Please let us know how things go. I'll be sending good vibes your way!

NoahsMommy
03-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Did your vet talk about which anesthesic he's going to be using? We use iso at work and its the safest. Maybe you could request that, if its available?

I'm sure your sweetie will have a very safe dental. They are usually very quick procedures. :)

catmandu
03-16-2004, 10:53 AM
JJJ3 and Moose have gone through this ,and have been all right. Peeper should be OK , if the Vet is a Pro , and is carefull! Prayers are on thier way , from The Found Cats!

RedHedd
03-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Hmm .... I tried to post earlier, but our Internet connection seems to be slow today. My Mitzi (also a "plush" cat) went through her dental with flying colors this past December. I'm sure Pepper will be fine. Let us know how it goes .... and we'll say a few PT prayers too.