PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Annie to the vet

jenluckenbach
03-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Annie will have the first step in her process (getting ready to move to England) TODAY!

She will be micro-chipped and given a rabies shot.

I am also going to have her re-tested for FeLV/FIV just to be on the safe side. ( for those who don't know, it is ALWAYS better to have two tests done )

My biggest worry now is that the procedure will be more expensive than first anticipated (I am a paranoid type).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Kirsten
03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Good luck for Annie!! Oh, I'm so excited for her!

I must have missed Annie's story, do you have a photo of her?

And do you know already when she will travel?

Kirsten

PayItForward
03-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
Good luck for Annie!! Oh, I'm so excited for her!

I must have missed Annie's story, do you have a photo of her?
http://www.piftails.com/upload/files/PIF/SweetAnnie_1.jpg

http://www.piftails.com/upload/files/PIF/AnnieWaterBowl.jpg

And do you know already when she will travel?
November 04,. Fingers crossed if all goes well she'll be my birthday present.

Kirsten

PayItForward
03-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Annie will have the first step in her process (getting ready to move to England) TODAY!

She will be micro-chipped and given a rabies shot.

I am also going to have her re-tested for FeLV/FIV just to be on the safe side. ( for those who don't know, it is ALWAYS better to have two tests done )

My biggest worry now is that the procedure will be more expensive than first anticipated (I am a paranoid type).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Jen, great mind think alike , I was going to ask for her Felv/FIV test results. :D

jenluckenbach
03-15-2004, 03:02 PM
She was such a brave and well behaved girl!!!

Kim (catnapper) came to visit and do a photo shoot today (hopefully those pictures will be or are already posted)
After she met everyone including all the fosters we looked at Annie hiding under the sofa. So as long as I was down in the proper position I reached under and drug her out (sorry). We snuggled her and then put her in the carrier for the trip to the vet.

She meowed just a bit. Kim said, Are you sure she'll be OK for a long trip? And I said yes, she kennels quite well and true to form not another peep was heard out of her for the next few hours.

I warned the vet staff that she MAY not enjoy being held, but she did fantastic (my brave little girl). They drew blood for the test and we waited for the results. (If for any reason she came out positive, we would not have proceeded).

Then they injected the chip. What a big needle! :eek: but she did not even flinch. Then the rabies shot and back in the carrier. She even got her nails clipped.

Her blood test is scheduled for April 12th (one month from the shot for best possible titer results).

Too bad Kim could not come along to document this step in Annie's life.

PayItForward
03-15-2004, 03:50 PM
I am so pleased Annie got though vet visit in one piece.

The microchip needle is scary, I watch our Milo be chipped. He also was a good boy too.

Give Annie girl a cuddle from me for being so good :) and another for being so brave :D

Craftlady
03-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Why do the test twice? If first one came out negitive and they haven't been exposed. The test isn't cheap (our vet charges $38).

Skinny just tested negative in Sept. Thumper tested negative 3 yrs ago when we adopted her. Since Butterscotch had FeLV/FIV it's been suggested by our vet to re-test. That I can understand to retest. My emotions are all over the place about the retesting. I pray each day that God will spare us the ordeal of postive results so close to our last experience.

Again, why would you re-test twice if cat hasn't been exposed??????

jenluckenbach
03-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Why do the test twice?
Because if a pet had been exposed prior to the first test there is a possibility that it would not show up for at least 4 weeks. And since Annie was in an outdoor environment it was highly possible for her to have been exposed AND to test negative the first time.
In reality ALL pets should be tested twice, at 4 week intervals, if they originally came from an environment where exposure was likely. (assuming the first test was done right after leaving the this environment)

Craftlady
03-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks for explaination.

catnapper
03-15-2004, 06:28 PM
I am so glad to hear that she did well at the vet's!

Here's the pictures of Annie - I know I posted it under another thread, but since we're talking about her....

Hiding under the couch
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/PTers/scared_annie.jpg

Heading to the vet's
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/PTers/Annie_vet.jpg

I love those striped kitties that also have spots!

catmandu
03-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Hopefully , with the Volume business , that you give your Vet , and the fact that it is an Adoption , he will give you a brak , on the price. Annie actually looks pretty calm , much more than my Cats who have to be chased down!

Randi
03-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm glad to hear that Annie tested negative. What a good girl she was at the vet! :) This calls for some treats and cuddles. :D Give her one from me too!