PDA

View Full Version : I think Emily is sick

sirrahbed
03-15-2004, 10:09 AM
This is terrible timing but I think Emily is sick. She started sneezing repeatedly last night and does not want to eat this morning - just sits in her meatloaf with watery eyes and looks pathetic. I DID add Arm & Hammer deodorizer to the litter boxes yesterday and she IS a furious digger and potty coverer - and she DID sneeze when I added it - so it could be as simple as an allergy. I have used it before though...I dunno. Sooo...here I go to the vet AGAIN - today at 2:15pm. If it is just an allergy - I don't think she would be acting so puny though :( Hopefully the vet can check her over and give her abtibiotics if needed. Is there such a thing as a one shot dosing??? Otherwise, my son will be pilling her I guess. Oh my, I hate the thought of leaving a sick baby!! I know Bryan will take good care of her if she needs it as he only works a few blocks away...I also have a dear neighbor who will look after her as well. I will let you know how the vet visit goes!! Why does this have to happen NOW???

jenluckenbach
03-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Good luck at the vet.

Keep in mind that company's are constantly changing their formulas (I sould know, every time I find a product that I can tolerate to be around, they CHANGE it). So maybe it is just the litter additive.

OR
Maybe she doesn't want you to go and is faking (I swear to you, Lucas has faked twice before) :p

Hope she is feeling better soon.

sirrahbed
03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

OR
Maybe she doesn't want you to go and is faking (I swear to you, Lucas has faked twice before) :p

You know, Jen - this is NOT that far fetched!! The few times we go on overnights to see our middle son and daughter-in-love- she mopes around while we are getting ready. I know she picks up on our mood. We dread leaving and she knows it. She sits around all moping and doe eyed - especially around her daddy! That is one reason he always makes the pillow dummy of himself dressed in his t-shirt! ...Because he thinks she can't sleep without him! This is one pampered little princess. Maybe she IS faking it, I dunno. I wish. I just checked on her and she looks pretty puny though, and still will not touch her food. THAT is odd.
I am a neurotic overprotective meowmie and I can't help it!:(

Kirsten
03-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Poor Emily! :(

This really sounds like an allergic reaction to me.

You can try to change the litter and don't add deodorizer this time. Maybe this will give her some relief.

And I would hate to leave her alone now - but I'm an overprotective meowmie myself! ;)

Kirsten

jazzcat
03-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Poor Emily. Hopefully it is just an allergy since you added that to the litter yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing more.

If her nose is stopped up she can't smell good and that could be the reason she isn't eating. Has she ever had a URI before? She may just be having a flare up. A few weeks ago I was worried because I thought Jazz was getting another URI but she was only sick about 48 hours and after another day she was back to 100%. If Emily ever had one as a kitten maybe she is just having a flare up that will only last a few days.

sirrahbed
03-15-2004, 12:38 PM
No, she has not been sick before:( I am fixing to take her in now. She just looks so pathetic - sneezing and watery eyes!!:( None of my kitties have had URI's so I do not even know what they are like. I have been blessed with such healthy animals who only had serious illnesses as geriatrics.

PayItForward
03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Sending positive thoughts and hugs to you & Emily.

I hope it something very minor. Fingers Crossed

kimlovescats
03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Hoping for a good report for sweet Emily at the vet! Please keep us updated!;)

sirrahved
03-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Pickie had a nasty URI when we got him. He was a totally different cat! He was QUIET, calm, and not very active. We thought this was just his purrsonality! Boy, were we in for a surprise once he got on meds!

I hope Emily is feeling better soon. Maybe she's like people and she gets sick when stressed. This happens to me. Maybe she can tell somethings up and it lowered her immune system? Poor baby girl.

sirrahbed
03-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Just back from the vet with Emily and this time I was NOT a neurotic Meowmie. He took swabs of her runny nose and eyes and says she definitely has a rhinitis in the early stages, but a few more days and she would likely have been a sick little kitty. Sooo...she got a shot and came home with antibiotic drops plus antibiotic eye and nose drops. Now, I just need to convince my son that he needs to keep this up for a few days after we are gone. I am hoping that after the next 4 days of my nursing and dosing her, that she will be feeling much better. She sure does look pathetic though - just sitting in her meatloaf with her runny eyes and sneezing. She won't even eat a bite!! The vet said not to worry if she does not want food for a few days as long as she drinks water. (like Lori said, her nose is stopped up and if she can't smell, she will not be interested in food) He did not think the litter deodorizer had anything to do with it. My poor baby! But, at least we caught it nice and early and it is not serious! Terrible timing though!! Thank you all for asking about her!! I am glad I had this place to "talk" to!!:rolleyes:

jazzcat
03-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Oh poor Emily!:( I'm glad you got her to the vet in the early stages. Maybe it won't be too severe. I bet with the right encouragement your son will continue the treatment. Mothers can be very persuasive.:D

Give little Emily some extra scritchies and rubs from me! I hope she is feeling better soon.

sirrahbed
03-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Lori. I called my son and he told me no problem, he will take good care of Emily. He's a terrific son!! He has three cats of his own as well as a dog and is an animal lover so it will be ok. I just hate the timing. Hopefully, Emily will perk up with a day or two of antibiotics in her :rolleyes: It just makes me feel so badly leaving sick babies!! Then, I AM the queen of guilt and angst!!:D They ARE my babies!! I was telling the neighbor I have started to go to the gym with and she just did not comprehend what I was telling her when I said I worried about leaving the kitties - gave me the oddest look. That is one of the greatest things about PT. People here know how it feels!! Rational or not - it is real and it is how we feel!!

Steffi N
03-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Dear Emily, I hope you are feeling better soon. Deb, it's wonderful that you have a son so devoted to you and your furbabies.

jenluckenbach
03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
You should be thankful that she statred this BEFORE you left. At least you know exactly what the vet has to say and what needs to be done. (much better than checking in at home to hear your formerly healthy baby is now sick). I hope she get better REAL soon, and it sounds like she will be in good hands while you are gone.

sirrahbed
03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
You should be thankful that she statred this BEFORE you left.
Oh YES - you are absolutely right!! I should not complain and am so very glad to have been able to get it treated NOW. I would have been horrified to hear about it after I had left!! Thank God! It really is a blessing now that I am thinking better. Things like things like this have a way of working out for the best. :o :D I wish I was NOT so quick to be such a worry wart!!

catnapper
03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Poor Emily has a cold.:( I'm glad that you caught it early and its now easily treated with meds. Of course you'll be able to convince your son that he wants to give a cat meds.

catmandu
03-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Hopefully the Vet has checked Emily , and has given her a Clean Bill Of Health. Found Cats are Praying!

catcrazylady
03-16-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't know how in the world I missed this!!! Poor Emily!!!

I wish I was NOT so quick to be such a worry wart!!

I'm so glad that were a worry wart!!! If you hadn't taken her when you did she probably would have ended up with a URI and you would have been in Japan really worrying!! I'm sure you will worry anyway but at least now you know that you caught it early and your family and friends will be more aware of what to watch for with Emily.

I hope she is all well and feeling like herself again before you leave for the PARTEEEEE in Japan.:D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

sirrahbed
03-16-2004, 07:32 PM
The medicine is already working and Emily is feeling better! She is still sneezing but less and is eating again - more like herself.
BUT - the medicating is becoming a real hoot! She gets oral antibiotics and nosedrops. Guess who does this nasty deed? Well, Meowmie of course. Guess who stands and watches? Her precious daaadddyyy! The minute I am done torturing her, he takes her from me and I hear this: "aww...what is Meowmie doing to my princess??? Poor angel. Well, come to daddy and *I* will take care of my little bitzy baby"
:p Puuleeez!!! Gag me with a spoon!

jenluckenbach
03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Men :rolleyes:
I am glad the medicine is working. Now, do you have anything for my nausea (caused by your hubby's sickening display)? :D:D

Steffi N
03-16-2004, 07:50 PM
I am glad Emily is doing better.
Next time your husband has a cold, I hope he has to take some really nasty tasting medicine. :D :D