PDA

View Full Version : Dog hates/fears to be combed

Canis Amicus
03-15-2004, 09:52 AM
I volunteer for a Shelter walking some of their dogs; one that is male, 5 years, neutered, white, terrier like mix, very furry, is all mated, he does not allow to be combed. I do not know if it is hate or fear. He never allowed anyone at the shelter to comb him; he lives there over one year, his coat ist in a miserable state. I would like to help him. What could i do?

clara4457
03-15-2004, 10:42 AM
This sounds like he is going to need to be shaved down completely. Dogs that are severly matted are usually in quite a bit of pain. I think your best bet is to take him to a vet to be sedated and then shaved down. There could be some very tender spots under the mats and shaving and treating would be the best thing to do.

I have to ask - why has the dog been there so long. A year is a very long time to be in a shelter. Has anyone tried to groom him or treat him before?

It is very sweet of you to try to help this boy. Hopefully the shelter will allow some sort of treatment for the poor thing. :(

ScoobyDoo-Doo
03-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I have a datsun/long hair chihahau mix adopted from the pound. He HATES being combed. I have to wrestle him and hold his head under my one arm so he won't bite. He has lots of hair. I also have a recent White Eskimo Spitz that refuses to be combed as well.
What I have resorted to do to both is slowly introduce them to the brush. I got a brush that has soft bristles on one side and wire on the other. I use the soft bristle first and calm them down. Sometimes I make a chase game out of it by quickly brushing them when they run by. Slowly I have been able for them to be able to stand still more and comb.
I would also give the dog Brewer's yeast. It helps there coat and helps their skin. It is supposed to be good for flea prevention as well. I started the Eskimo Spitz on the tablets and his coat is looking much better. Avoid the brewer's yeast with garlic. Can get the tablet at Walmart near the dog shampoo or powder form at a GNC. Good luck!!! ( Plus you may want to shave this dog this summer if all else fails.)

Canis Amicus
03-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Thank you both for the advice.

Clara 4457: Yes, they tried to comb him, but he didn't let them to work on his very long coat. I will talk more with people at the shelter about it, and am willing to even pay for the shaving you suggested; i think with a better "do" his chances to be adopted will be higher. I "claw" his head and body with my nails, he doesn't seen to be bothered.
Yes, one year is a very long time to wait for a new home, poor Strolchi (his name).

Also happens that the shelters here (also in Germany) have many stray dogs coming from Greece, Italy, Spain, East-Europe, due to tourists that bring them out of pity, and some times they do not adjust to a new life. Sometimes these shelters help the shelters from those countries, wich are always over poppulated. I do not know if Strolchi is one of them. There are dogs that are there even longer, specially the old, blind, or with age related infirmities.

Scooby Doo Doo: The way you do with your Chihuahua mix reminds the mothod my mother used to do WITH ME to extract pimples from my face in my pre-teen years LOL.

If the shelter manager allows Strolchi to be shaved, i will follow your suave method to introduce him to the brush.

Thank you both very much. Your suggestions complement one another: first shave, then get used to the brush!

3CaniBellisimi
03-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Hello,

Sometimes a dog's aversion to combing can be gotten over through a technique called Tellington Touch therapy and then introducing combing once the dog has gotten used to Tellington Touch. There are several books written by Linda Tellington Jones on the Tellington touch technique. It is easy to do and anyone can learn it. It builds trust on the dog's part of the human touching him. It also works on zoo or 'wild' animals and zookeepers also use the technique. And I think it might help with this dog.

However, if the matted fur is causing discomfort to the dog's skin, then touch will agravate him and upset him causing the dog to guard and protect his body. Combing a dog who is already suffering from pain and irritation of mats on his fur just isn't productive and could further damage the dog's trust of humans. So if the matting is severe and is causing the dog pain and discomfort, then the sedation and shaving solution would be the first step. (A pleasant appearance will help this dog get adopted).

Then, after the grooming has taken place, you can start Tellington touch work on the dog and it will help him to be calmer, more sociable, more trusting, and all of these things can help to get him adopted.

I got my first Tellington touch book from my local library and I tried the technique on dogs at a shelter where I sometimes volunteer and it does wonders for them. These techniques are easy and you can start implementing them immediately as you are reading through Ms. Tellington Jone's boook.

I also use this on my own 3 dogs and on my neighbor's horses. They all love it. My neighbor's horses get competitive over who I get to 'touch' first because they love it. They hear the sound of my footsteps on my walk over from my house, down the road to their corral and they come running to greet me because they all want 'Tellington touch". It always makes me smile and it makes them really happy too.

I am not related to Ms. Tellington-Jones and I do not personally or professionaly profit in any way from advocating her book or technique. I just know for myself that is has worked for me on countless animals and it probably couldn't hurt on this dog.

Perhaps you could look for her books through your library system or you could purchase one of her paperback books very reasonably through a bookstore or online.

Best regards,
Anna Lisa and her 3 dogs

Canis Amicus
03-18-2004, 08:31 AM
3CaniBelissimi:

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I will try to find out the book(s) you recommend and keep you informed.

I love to read, do not be shy if you would like to recommend me books, one that i recommend to everyone i meet is "Intelligence of dogs" from Stanley Coren. This book is always at my bed table.
Another is Dog watching, from Desmond Morris.

Thousand kisses for your 3 piu belli cani.

3CaniBellisimi
03-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Hi Canis Amicus,

Please let us know your results with Strolchi. I hope the suggestions have been helpful.

Best regards,
Anna Lisa

Canis Amicus
03-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Anna Lisa:

I boght the book "Tellington-Training for Dogs" (german version) yesterday, and i am loving it. It was the first thing i did when i came back from Turkey, where i vacationed from 20 till 27/Mar.

Thank you very much.

Kathleen
04-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Some dogs have real problems with brusing and combing them, depends on their fur they have. Some have real bad tangles.

Our female dog didn't like the brush that was used on our golden retriever. We used a simple comb, no, she didn't like it.
We tried everything and then we popped into this pet place and said we have a jack russell that doens't like the other brushes and combs we have. She told us to use this one that is like a curry brush and she loves it, you do it in circles and doesnt' pull her or hurt in any way. It brings up all that dry stuff they get and the fur. And she sits there and wants lots more and the male gets jealous and pushes in there and demands his time too.

yes, he should be taken to a groomer and professionally groomed and fur trimmed to nice length and nails clipped and the whole works. then you can work on him as the fur won't be long and pull and if he's brushed daily he will slowly get used to it and won't tangle.
My dad used to spray something our golden retriever as he would be a mess underneath the tail part and that would be so tangly.

Yes, he needs to be groomed.

We did that with our springer spaniel and what a difference that made and its makes them feel so good.

Brushing should be like a message, make them feel so good. Talk to him while you are doing it and give him treats along the way and hope it works out for you and him.