PDA

View Full Version : My review on film Lost in Translation

carole
03-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Well folks I am forever asking people's opinion's on movie's, so thought if you don't mind I would share my view on this film, which my daughter and I both saw on Sunday.

Correct me if I am wrong, did the director Sophia Coppelia win an award, hmm well I personally cannot see Why.

I found this film somewhat boring, and tedious, you kept waiting for something to happen and it didn't, no climax, I have never seen so many people go in and out of a movie theatre as during this film, either they all had weak bladders, or like me got tired of sitting, you could leave and you would not miss much anyhow.

There were some good parts in the movie and they would be a little comedy, the actors and some of the scenery , and for that we rated it a 4-5 out of Ten.

Honestly there just was hardly any storyline as far as I could see,I think my daughter could write a better story anyday.

Also this was rated PG here, now it was fine apart from one part, which featured topless japanese girls, gyrating and bending over showing nearly everything they own on table tops, I am sure Bill Murray got a birds eye view, I have to think this was a little off considering the rating.(Now all the guy's will wanna see it lol)

I know some people loved the movie, but I wish they could tell me why? as I just cannot see anything in it to rave about.

So in my opinion folks, for what it is worth, don't waste your hard-earned money, but hire it out on Video just to experience it and see what you all think.

THANKS for listening.:)

P.S I chatted to some other people after the film,(who I did not know) and the general opinion was BORING.,it was however not on my worst movie list ,middle of the road, but i won't be recommending it to my friends to go see it in a hurry,there were some amazing skyscrapers to look at lol!!:)

P.SS I remember a PT member loving this film, maybe she can post and tell me why, what she saw in it, would be interested.:)

Moose
03-14-2004, 08:30 PM
I've never seen it...and quite honestly, I don't plan on seeing it. :p

carole
03-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Good call Brooke, frankly you would be wasting your time anyhow,strictly MHO..:)

Cheshirekatt
03-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Ok, while I didn't love this film, I did like it.

I like quiet, thoughtful movies and that's what I thought this was.

The scenery was cool and beautiful as was the peek into Japan. I've never been there so I found it interesting to see it.

Yes, it was a slow film. But I thought it was slow for a reason. We watch the guy get fed up with his life during a mid-life crisis, have a really cool week with a passing friend, and then grow up and go back home to his wife and family.

I laughed out loud a couple of times and felt good at the end of the movie.

JMHO

:D

gini
03-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Carole, it wasn't my all time favorite movie, but I did like it. I am not sure I can tell you exactly why, but I love Bill Murray and it was a different role for him.

Two people bored in Japan.....meet. It is about boredom and how we deal with it. And so, sometimes the movie is boring.

Was it the best award for screenwriting? Mmmm, not necessarily, but Sophia Coppola was SO heavily favored and it was a given that she wouldn't win the Best Director award.

I walked away liking it and loved the scenes of Bill Murray tapeing his commercials.

guster girl
03-15-2004, 01:50 AM
I loved this film! I thought Bill Murray was stellar as well as Scarlett Johansson. I didn't think it was boring in the slightest, and, it has to be one of my favorite films. I love subtle acting, and, this movie was full of it. I didn't pay attention to the rating, I usually don't, but, I also don't have children to worry about. Sofia Coppola won for best original screenplay and I thought it was deserved. I know in most films with men and women there usually is something that "happens" between them, and, I loved that this movie went against that. I know I personally kept thinking that something might, but, I was actually happy that nothing did. Anyway, I highly recommend the film, and, have seen it several times already. :)

sasvermont
03-15-2004, 06:01 AM
Well, I tried. I really did. I kept replaying the sceens (DVD rental) and tried to stay on track with the movie. I thought it was OK. I thought it was worth renting, but that it was a real stretch nominating and awarding this movie anything beyond a credit to rent a good movie.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

SAS

catnapper
03-15-2004, 06:38 AM
I have never seen it and don't think I will now. I rarely can sit still for movies as it is unless they are REALLY funny, action packed, or engrossing. I have found some of the most beloved movies boring - I for one thought Titanic was the biggest pieces of cinematic poop I've ever seen - considering that, I think I'll stay far away from Lost in Translation (even though I have loved Bill Murray forever)

Thanks for the tip! I would have been really annoyed to have spent the money on something I hated.

Cheshirekatt
03-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
I- I for one thought Titanic was the biggest pieces of cinematic poop I've ever seen -

I'm glad I'm not the only one! What a waste of three hours of my life!

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Not a Titanic fan either. I couldn't understand what the hoopla was all about. Anyhow, I haven't seen Lost In Translation. It was nominated for Best Movie and Best Director, but didn't win. I have heard mixed reviews. I will have to check it our for myself. Now that Andrew is deployed, I can watch all the chick flicks I want!

RICHARD
03-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by carole

I am sure Bill Murray got a birds eye view, I have to think this was a little off considering the rating.(Now all the guy's will wanna see it lol)

Can you please tell me how far into the movie that scene is????

That way I can fast forward and save some time???

;) Just Kidding...

guster girl
03-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I have never seen it and don't think I will now. I rarely can sit still for movies as it is unless they are REALLY funny, action packed, or engrossing. I have found some of the most beloved movies boring - I for one thought Titanic was the biggest pieces of cinematic poop I've ever seen - considering that, I think I'll stay far away from Lost in Translation (even though I have loved Bill Murray forever)

Thanks for the tip! I would have been really annoyed to have spent the money on something I hated.

In my opinion, if you like Murray, you should watch this film. Also, check out Razor's Edge. I thought both were engrossing. :) And, that's one of your requirements. :) And, just another opinion. I liked Titanic, but, the two movies have nothing at all in common with eachother. anywho....

2kitties
03-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I enjoyed this movie alot.

tatsxxx11
03-15-2004, 04:03 PM
I loved it! Subtle, funny in a nuanced way and thought provoking; a pognanant little slice of real life. And being married to someone Japanese, I found Copolla's perspective, hmm, "interesting" if not a bit sterotypical:D

carole
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Well it certainly has been interesting to read all your comments, and it appears many of you liked the film, now keep in mind I did actually point out the good things in the movie, there were some funny parts, and great scenery as I mentioned before, I just was not in the least crazy about it, but it did not get on my worst list, so there must have been something in it, and I did not walk out in the movie, I think catnapper you should hire it out on DVD or Video and get your own opinion, don't be put off by mine, because it is just that mine, and as you have read some people really enjoyed it.

I guess I am just not that easily entertained, bit like catnapper, I like some action,it was just too slow for me, sitting still in a movie theatre for a couple of hours isn't easy for me at the best of times, so it has to be good to keep me interested.,but each to their own.

Now Richard, it was kinda half way through the movie I think, lol.

In all honesty even though the film had good parts, it was just so boring to me, and I asked several other patrons, there were only like ten of us there and they all agreed with me, maybe us kiwis just have a different aspect on things, who know's somehow I doubt that though.
:)
BTW I respect all your valued opinions, and isn't this what makes our world, the fact we are all different. cheers.:)

P.S This was indeed a different role for Bill Murray, not sure it suited him that well., but he acted it well. but then he is a good actor.
To me there was something lost in translation here all right, a good story line, I did not want to spoil it for those who have not seen it, but it is basically about two people of different ages bored in Japan, and that is it basically in a nut shell,, I kept waiting for it to go somewhere and it didn't, it was just overall very disappointing., but I am glad many of you liked it, at least you don't feel your money was wasted, I would have rather seen Mystic River, but it was not a PG rating for my daughter, anyway folks it still beats sitting at home bored on a sunday afternoon, the popcorn and coke were good and so was the company, so two outta three ain't bad.

catnapper
03-15-2004, 06:45 PM
I think that I should point out that not many movies get my interest completely. I never go to the theater because I literally can not sit still through the whole thing. I fidget and get up to go to the restrooms a few times just for something to do. When we rent movies at home, I am almost always half watching while I'm doing other things - reading a book, drawing, playing solitaire... you name it. I am the person who thought Harry Potter was boring (prefer the books) and thought Evita was unbearably long - get to the point please! I swear I must have adult ADD:) !

Desert Arabian
03-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Can't stand Scarlett...so I am not watching the movie! :)

carole
03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Ah now Catnapper that is why I go to the movies, because it is the only place I can sit still (sort of) and I won't leave in the middle of a movie, unless it is really bad, as I alway's hope something good might happen, now if it is a video at home, unless it is amazing, I am up and down like a yoe-yoe, always finding things to do, or that need doing, my husband is alway's complaining I never sit still, so I guess I must share your problem adult ADD lol, funny I can manage to sit behind a computer for
lengths of time though, but even then I have to get up and down.:) so you see you are not alone.:D

2kitties
03-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm like you carole. If I do a renter, you can almost bet your savings I'll fall asleep on my sofa before it's over! lol

guster girl
03-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I love Scarlett Johansson! She's becoming a favorite of mine. But, that's ok, a billion people like Julia Roberts, and, she's one of my least favorite. ;) I will say that I think the role completely suits Bill Murray, though. It is very different from most everything else he's done in the past, but, it only makes me love him more. It's almost like when Jim Carrey did "Cable Guy." There were tons of his fans that didn't like that movie because it was a different kind of comedy, but, it's one of my top favorites of his. I love when actors step out of the pigeon hole and show that they're not just goofy slapstickers. Anyone who thinks that bill murray was perfect in Lost in Translation should most definitely check out Razor's Edge. I can't remember when it was made, but, it's a few years old. It's a drama, though, and, it is actually what made me appreciate him as an actor. Anyway, just another two cents of mine.

carole
03-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Guster Girl, I Think Bill did well in this somewhat different role, but I just am not so sure it suited him, I enjoy Bill Murray, but would have liked to have seen a different actor in this role, you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this movie, like I said it was an ok movie but I just cannot for the life of me see anything in it to rave about, just MHO, what is razor edge about anyhow?

Richard Chamberlain would have been good for this role, but then again, as I admire him so much I would have been disappointed to see him cast in this film.;)

guster girl
03-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey, I wasn't trying to disagree with you, per se, just wanted to put a different perspective out there for people that haven't seen it. It is absolutely one of the best films I've seen in awhile, and, I wanted to throw my review out there. But, as for "Razor's Edge", here's a quote from a consumer's review on site that summarizes the film well.

"Bill Murray is brilliantly casted in the role of the main character; a man seeking the meaning of life on a spiritual quest that sacrifices everything and everyone in his world."

NOT a fun movie, by any means, but, I loved it! It came out in 1995. It has Theresa Russell and Denholm Elliott as well.

sirrahbed
03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
<gulp> I totally loved the film. I do not particularly like any of the actors - but it is the type of film I like - thought provoking and intense. Bill Murray was very good in his role. Lots going on under the surface. Someone mentioned the man/woman chemistry - that was a key element and I was also hoping that they would not become sexual. I liked the scene where they had luch after his encounter with the older woman and the dynamics that unfolded between Scarlett and Bill. I loved the "whispering in her ear" towards the end. It gave me lots to think about and left me feeling good and exhilarated. Just my opinion, but I like movies without all the action and where the plot is carefully woven. MY two cents:D I loved it and will buy the DVD to watch again.

This one reminded me a bit of "The English Patient" and I loved that as well.

guster girl
03-16-2004, 07:54 PM
I really liked when they were laying in the bed and she was curled up and his hand touched her foot. and, I agree with "lots going on under the surface".....Bill Murray was mesmerizing. I laughed by butt off when he was on the Japanese treadmill thing. But, my favorite scene is when he is having his still photos taken by the Japanese photographer and he keeps telling him to do "rat pack" and other american icons. Subtle, but, very, very funny.

sirrahbed
03-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
I really liked when they were laying in the bed and she was curled up and his hand touched her foot.

YES!! Another that gets you thinking while appearing to be insignificant and almost boring - not even noticeable but VERY important to the story - that touch!

guster girl - do YOU have in your mind what was whispered into her ear? I would love your take on that in a PM if you would like. I will give you mine!!

carole
03-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey now that was one of the scenes I did really laugh at ,the treadmill scene, had me cracking up, so you see there were indeed parts i enjoyed, but sorry girls it was just too boring for my taste, but each to their own, I can understand people liking it, but Guster Girl you really think it was one of the best movies you have seen? gosh that statement leaves me bewildered, I Just find it so hard to believe you thought it that great, oh well, now I would like to be a fly on the wall hearing those PMS between you two lol.:)

KYS
03-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I also found this movie boring.
(but everybody has different taste) :p

guster girl
03-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by carole
Hey now that was one of the scenes I did really laugh at ,the treadmill scene, had me cracking up, so you see there were indeed parts i enjoyed, but sorry girls it was just too boring for my taste, but each to their own, I can understand people liking it, but Guster Girl you really think it was one of the best movies you have seen? gosh that statement leaves me bewildered, I Just find it so hard to believe you thought it that great, oh well, now I would like to be a fly on the wall hearing those PMS between you two lol.:)

No need to be bewildered. It's one of my favorite movies. But, if you need to know why I thought it was so great, I'll tell you. I'll also tell you that I don't think Murray said anything related to the film into Johansson's ear in the film's final scene. That's just my take on it. Anyway, as for the film, first of all, it does take patience to watch it, but, I think boring is not the word for it. Slow paced, and, not plot-based, but, not boring. It was character-driven and dialogue-driven, which is exactly what makes a movie good to me. I thought the characters were real, and, flawed, lost, and found. The idea that these two people would probably have shared no more than a passing glance in the "real world", and, yet, share a deep, lasting connection because of their geographical location and their personal struggles is heartbreaking and beautiful to me. I could relate to the characters feeling lost and stuck in life, and, also to the meeting of a soulmate, that for one reason or another, you can never actually be with. I thought the chemistry between the two actors was phenomenal, and, hardly seen in movies nowadays. I thought the film was poignant and sad, gentle and warm, sardonic and funny, and, the ending was perfect, which I rarely feel about films. I left feeling really good, and, that's why it's one of my favorite films.

And, some quotes from reviews that I agreed with will also lessen your bewilderment:

"there are opportunities for Murray to turn up the heat under his comic persona. He doesn't. He always stays in character. He is always Bob Harris, who could be funny, who could be the life of the party, who could do impressions in the karaoke bar and play games with the director of the TV commercial, but doesn't -- because being funny is what he does for a living, and right now he is too tired and sad to do it for free. Except ... a little. That's where you see the fine-tuning of Murray's performance. In a subdued, fond way, he gives us wry faint comic gestures, as if to show what he could do, if he wanted to"

"Watch Murray's eyes in the climactic scene in the hotel lobby: while hardly moving, they express the collapsing of all hopes, the return to a sleepwalking status quo. You won't find a subtler, funnier or more poignant performance this year than this quietly astonishing turn"

"when you lay yourself bare to another and ask them to reassure you that you are unique, that the ordinary you is worthy of the extraordinary. And extraordinary their relationship becomes, a yearning, indelible love-affair-that-isn’t"

"Lost in Translation is a film about catharsis, the kind that exists outside of movies: the slow reawakening, triggered by the compassion and like-mindedness of another, that everyone craves"

Anyway, that's my opinion. I wasn't intending to go into all the details, but, since I was asked....I may not be that poetic, or well-versed, but, I loved this film.

carole
03-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Thanks Guster Girl, I really appreciate your honesty, and now that I have read your comments I can understand where you are coming from, I never really looked at it in that kind of way, but I suppose one could almost agree with you on some points lol, but seriously it still was not my cup of tea, but I did not leave hating the movie for sure, as for the critics views, I rarely listen to those, I much prefer opinions from people like yourself.

You have left me with a different understanding of the movie, maybe I am just not that deep a person, and could not see what you saw, but its been interesting to say the least, I value your opinion, it has not changed my views overall, but did give me a different perspective on it and some things to think about.

It is still only a five though in my books, cheers.:)

guster girl
03-17-2004, 09:28 PM
No worries, mate. ;) Glad to show a different perspective. It's kindof like one of my other favorite films. Joe Vs The Volcano. When I first saw the film, I thought it was ridiculous. But, upon meeting someone who showed me a different way to watch it, and, pointed out things I hadn't seen before, I've watched it hundreds of times since. There are so many life lessons in that film that I never even noticed. Anyway, I never thought to change your view on it, just wanted to share mine. Hey, but, it's all good. I love tea, and, it's definitely my cup. ;)

carole
03-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Yep it is always good to get someone else's perspective on things, no matter what it is in life, be it a movie or something more important, and your comments did make me think quite a bit, and see an other side to the movie, perhaps we could stretch my rating to a 5 and half lol.

I am sure Guster Girl we would have some movies in common we both loved, anyways was a good way to spend my afternoon regardless, have you seen Japanese Story?, I liked this movie alot,so if you happen to see it, (not on my recommendation,) would like to know what you thought of it.

guster girl
03-18-2004, 06:46 PM
I haven't seen Japanese Story, but, I'll check it out. Who's in it? Is it new? Out for rent?

carole
03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
It is an australian movie, so maybe not released in USA, not sure, starring Toni Collette(muriels Wedding, about a boy) and Gotaro Tsunashima ( a japanese cutie).

There is some great outback Australian scenery in it, it really is about Sandy Edwards who is a geologist, who is roped into being a guide for this Japanese Businessman, she is trying to sell him the company's software but he is more interested in the outback.

I won't tell you anymore as it would spoil the story, it has a bit of comedy in it, and serious side too, it was certainly my cup of Tea lol., and it got a 7-8 from me, but hey what do I know right? cheers.:D

P.S I should mention it got eight Australian Film institute awards and is doing extremely well in ratings in NZ.

The film drifts slowly into the story, too slow for some it says on the reviews, but it was fine for me, and even though we disagreed on Lost in Translation , you may find this film good. maybe.;)
I would like to see A GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING starring Colin Frith ( my fav hunk) and Scarlett is in this one too. anyone seen it?

guster girl
03-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I LOVED Girl with a Pearl Earring. You knew I would, though. :)There's a scene where Scarlett shows her hair for the first and only time in the film, and, OMG, she is just so beautiful. It made me cry. Colin Firth is wonderful in it, and, it is a beautiful adaptation on what might have taken place between the artist and the subject of the painting. And, if you have ever seen 28 Days Later, the main actor in that is in Girl with a Pearl Earring, and, is very good and very good looking. ;) I'll have to check out Japanese Story. I have several australian films that Russell Crowe is in that I love. Seems Toni collette was in one of them.... I can't remember where I know her name from.

guster girl
03-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Spotswood! That's where I've seen toni collette! :)

carole
03-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Girl with a pearl earing has only just arrived in NZ, should be screening real soon, I do want to see it, mainly because it sounds a good story and I love Colin Firth, I will let you know if I see it and what I think.

I have just finished watching Pirates of the Carribean, it was ok, I got a bit fed up towards the end, but worth seeing Johnny Depp and Orlando anytime.:)

guster girl
03-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Johnny Depp rocks my world. I can't believe he's going to be 41 this year! And, Orlando Bloom is just beautiful. But, Johnny Depp has always intrigued me, ever since Edward Scissorhands, which is still one of my favorite movies of all time. And, his newest film, Secret Window, is weird, but, he's fabulous in it. His character is very quirky, to say the least.

tatsxxx11
03-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Carole, Girl With a Pearl Earring was wonderful, though I fear you may be bored!;) Very subtle and artsy, pardon the pun, but simply stunning! I read the book a few years ago. Vermeer has always been my favorite artist and a slew of fictional books based on his life were out then, including Pearl Earring and Girl in Hyacinth Blue!:) Did someone mention Russell Crowe? Oh, be still my heart, thump, thump!:D

carole
03-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Yes I have wondered if a girl with a pearl earing will bore me, its hard to say, even though lost in translation did, i still enjoyed many parts of the movie,and I adore Colin Firth, so that makes all the difference, I still might try and go and see it, I will let you know if I like it or not for sure:)

See Guster Girl we sure have similar taste in men then, I love Johnny Depp and Orlando, simply divine specimens those two are, hmmm, just thinking of them makes me feel nice, yes even though Johnny is 41, an oldie like me, he sure can attract women of all ages,from 11 up, that speaks for itself IMO. lol:)

Sandra, Russell Crowe is one of our's although the Aussie's have tried to pinch him, he was named as one of Aussie's Treasure, hmm indeed, just coz our kiwi's are so darn cute. he he., did your heart miss a beat on mentioning his name again.:D

I have just read what the movie is all about, and it sounds my cuppa of tea, so we shall see huh? besides Sandra just imagining I am the one in Colin's Arms will be enough for me, even if the movie is boring, he he.;)

guster girl
03-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Oh, yeah, and, I love Russell Crowe. He doesn't freak me out like he used to, as far as before I could hardly see him without drooling. :) But, Johnny Depp has always made me pant. ha ha. Tom Selleck is another one that I just think is gorgeous. Jude Law is pretty good looking, too. And, yeah, Girl is pretty slow, but, it's only about 90 minutes long. It's also very character driven, but, not a lot of dialogue. Definitely let us know what you think. I'm not into chicks, but, I do appreciate beauty and sex appeal, etc, regardless of gender. And, man, Scarlett Johansson is breathtaking in this film. Her lips are amazing and her voice is so cool. And, I mentioned this once before, the way they colored and styled her hair in this film for the one time you see it....it's fabulous. :)