PDA

View Full Version : Anti Docking

Lissa
03-14-2004, 04:06 PM
For all you anti-docking people. A lot of good info about why it shouldn't be done. I like dogs with natural tails because I like the look, but now I like natural tails because of the many reasons they listed. And they have pics of what some dogs look like natural. The doberman looks completely different all natural, a lot less scary and a lot more beautiful, at least to me! :D
I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone! Your opinion is yours just like mine is mine! Just thought I would share this good website.

http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_4.htm

DogLover9501
03-14-2004, 04:10 PM
No offense but I dont think this thread should have been started, as before when it did, it turned into a HUGE debate, with lots of ":rolleyes:"'s and rude remarks by some.

Lissa
03-14-2004, 04:12 PM
I just thought some of the pics were interesting to see what their tails looked like.

DogLover9501
03-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah they are, its interesting how big of a difference it makes when your so used to them having little stubs, I like Jasper's tail docked, the way it is, but it was interesting to see!

Lissa
03-14-2004, 04:17 PM
If people just want to see the pictures here is the link to that. I don't want to step on toes or start a debate, I just thought that it was fun to see the different looks.
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_5.htm

CamCamPup33
03-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Cami is a Car.. Erm don't know how to spell it.. She is a Car.. Welsh Corgi X Cross, And i always wondered where she got her tail from, but when i saw a picture of the corgi with an undocked tail, I found my answer!

DogLover-- Everyone has their own opionions.. So if this thread turns out to be a 'debate' it doesn't really matter, it's just expressing their opinions.. Like the 'Do you approve' thread, it was a 'debate' but never turned into anything more than being expressive..

DogLover9501
03-14-2004, 04:49 PM
I know, lots of people just get into a debate lol, I was just warning ;) and trying to remind people to not make something huge of it, I didnt mean to sound rude or anything, just don't want a huge cropping/docking thing like before.

:eek: The dobie does look alot different!

CamCamPup33
03-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
I know, lots of people just get into a debate lol, I was just warning ;) and trying to remind people to not make something huge of it, I didnt mean to sound rude or anything, just don't want a huge cropping/docking thing like before.

You weren't rood, I hope i wasn't either :o, If i was, im sorry, im having a really bad day ;) :p

Shelteez2
03-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Cami is a Car.. Erm don't know how to spell it.. She is a Car.. Welsh Corgi X Cross, And i always wondered where she got her tail from, but when i saw a picture of the corgi with an undocked tail, I found my answer!

Cardigan welsh corgi's are supposed to have tails. Pembroke welsh corgis don't. :)

CamCamPup33
03-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Cardigan welsh corgi's are supposed to have tails. Pembroke welsh corgis don't. :)

I know that now, but all the pictures i saw before never had tails like that, lol.. :o

Cheshirekatt
03-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I love dogs with their natural tails. However, I certianly wouldn't want to get wagged in the face with a dobie whip tail! Ouch!

Joxer gave me a fat lip with his tail once!

DogLover9501
03-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Very true!

And if Jasper's tail wasn't docked :o :o :o his stub goes at full speed, 50 wags per second :p he would clear tables and really hurt his tail and other people

Cheshirekatt
03-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Yep. If Buford wags while he's in a doorway he splits the end of his tail and spatter blood everywhere. We have to scoot him into the middle of the room before we get him all excited! lol

Lissa
03-14-2004, 06:06 PM
I know lots of pits with their natural tails and in three years + years of their life, waggin their tails like mad, they have never hurt themselves. So there maybe something, of a lot of things, knocked off the table, oh well, it happens. Layla has done it tons.

Cheshirekatt
03-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Lissa
I know lots of pits with their natural tails and in three years + years of their life, waggin their tails like mad, they have never hurt themselves. So there maybe something, of a lot of things, knocked off the table, oh well, it happens. Layla has done it tons.

Well, Joxer is a pit/boxer mix and definately has the boxer 'happy tail' syndrome. :)

Buford is a hound/dane/mastiff?? mix and has an extremely long and whip-like tail. He's also a really big dog and I think that makes a difference. It's only happened a couple of times so I don't think it's going to be a huge issue.

Wilma (the full pit bull) doesn't have any problems with her tail.

:)

guster girl
03-14-2004, 06:15 PM
The only one that really looked odd to me with the natural tail was the American Cocker! WOW!! Now that's a difference. :) I've always thought danes, dobies, pits...looked better with floppy ears and long tails. I'm not necessarily anti-docking, but, I don't see the point with certain dogs. I got my cat declawed, and, a lot of people have issues with that, and, I totally see their point. But, because I had Lock declawed, I don't get too passionate about the docking of the ears and/or tails of dogs. Just my two cents. :)

Lissa
03-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I've never been around any of those but pits so I can't say anything about their health with tails, but I fully believe that it is completely health for a pit to have its tail and have yet to know one that has had a problem with hurting their tail. Some dogs may need their tail docked for that reason and that is fine, but I know some breeds do it for cosmetic reasons and I don't like that personally. But like I said your opinion is yours, just like mine is mine, and they are all different. I am not against it in the sense that it should be banned as long as it is done correctly and in good clean envirnoments. I heard some do it with with toe nail clippers just like they are cutting toe nails and that to me is wrong.

Lissa
03-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Oh and I know herding dogs get docked so their tails don't get trampled by the cattle or sheep. I think that is a fine reason again, as long as its done properly.

Cheshirekatt
03-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Well, considering docking their tails at this point would be a huge orthopedic surgery I'd never do it unless it was a health issue. Fat lips and occational bleeding here or there is managable. :)

I recently saw a Rottie with a full tail and he looked beautiful!

Lissa
03-14-2004, 06:22 PM
My dream dog is an all natural dobie, red and rust color. I think that all natural rotties and dobies look a lot less scary and peoples opinions would change some what since they don't look so aggressive.

Moose
03-14-2004, 06:45 PM
OMG I love the Rotties with natural tails!!! Just gorgeous!! :eek:

Cheshirekatt
03-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Moose
OMG I love the Rotties with natural tails!!! Just gorgeous!! :eek:

I heard that what they're starting to do in Germany.....leave Rottie tails intact! Yay!

Lissa
03-14-2004, 06:51 PM
I hope it starts more here. It seems from what I read, its still mostly in Europe.

K9soul
03-15-2004, 08:40 AM
That was an interesting link and I really enjoyed the pictures. I LOVE the schipperke tails. I'd never want a docked schip hehe, they are like little curled Akita tails.

I think I prefer them all with natural tails really. I thought the rottie's tail was very handsome too. :)

DogLover9501
03-15-2004, 08:43 AM
I know lots of pits with their natural tails

That was really interesting, do pits even get docked??:confused: I have never seen nor heard of a pit with a docked tail.

ramanth
03-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks for sharing the link Lissa. :D I love seeing pictures of dogs with natural tails. There was a rottie at the Ren Faire who had natural ears and tail. He was so adorable.

Lissa
03-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Pits get docked in Michigan a lot because you see a lot of fighters. If you watch something like Animal Cops Detroit on TV , it seems like half the show is breaking up dog fighting rings. I don't know about Kalamazoo, but I've heard its pretty bad. I've seen some with cropped ears too. Most people who own them as pets only have them natural, but I've seen a few not. We were walking my friends 3 pits and were offered 2,000 for the group. They said they would offer more but they wanted cropped and docked. Of course we told them where they could go, those dogs are their babies, but I see it a lot to because it looks more aggressive. It is one trend that seems to be slowing though, as I haven't seen it lately.
Maybe it was just happening in our area, but thats what someone told me they were doing it for.

wolfie
03-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Lissa

I agree Lissa. Just because it's a big dog (like a dobie, boxer, rottie) doesn't mean that it should have its tail docked. Stuff getting knocked off the tables just happens. :) Plus, the two biggest breeds, great danes and mastiffs, don't have their tails docked.

And I agree, the rotties with tails are very pretty! ^_^