PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in Spain

Karen
03-12-2004, 11:18 AM
We were horiified by the events in Spain yesterday, and will keep that whole country and its people in our thoughts and prayers at this sad, sad time.

EssTer
03-12-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm really sorry, I feel realy dumb, but what happened yesterday in Spain? sorry for so stupid question..

aly
03-12-2004, 11:38 AM
There were train bombings - CNN has the story

http://www.cnn.com/

EssTer
03-12-2004, 11:57 AM
OMG.. it's so awful...:( I really feel sorry about those people...:(

Randi
03-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Europeans are shocked, it is the worst terror attack in Spain ever. So very sad! :(

Here's BBC's story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3506352.stm

RICHARD
03-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Millions to join march on terror

Millions of people were expected to turn out on the streets of Spain today in protest at yesterday's devastating bomb attacks in Madrid which killed 199 people.

As the death toll rose, Spanish television and news reports continually revised the number of fatalities.

Of those who have died, 85 have yet to be identified, said Deputy Justice Minister Rafael Alcala, who was speaking from a makeshift morgue.

Europe minister Denis MacShane will fly to Madrid to represent the Government and the British people at the planned mass rally to protest against the terrorist bombings that killed 198 people.

Mr MacShane said the atrocities showed that "a new politics" was required and criticised people who said the Prime Minister was "exaggerating" the threat. He warned that in the fight against terrorism the authorities would not always be able to stop determined killers.

Mr MacShane told BBC Breakfast: "I'm going to Spain myself to express the solidarity of the Government and everybody in Britain in the great march in Madrid tonight."

He said it was too early to be sure who carried out the attacks, adding that there were "hallmarks" of Eta while the scale of the bombings suggested other groups may have been involved.

"I don't think we should rush to judgment. The Spanish authorities will be investigating very, very hard indeed," he said. "There are hallmarks of Eta involvement - their first big terrorist activity more than 40 years ago was a train explosion - but the scale of the bombings, of course, leads one to think that others might be involved. Let's just wait and see.

"Finally, if somebody is prepared to plant a bomb in the middle of a crowded place like a train or where people are gathered, then terrible deaths, of course, will follow," he said.

"It is about vigilance, it's also about backing the authorities, it's about taking new measures, it's about recruiting more agents to infiltrate and penetrate the groups. This is a new politics. Even today I was reading articles somehow dismissing or saying the Prime Minister was exaggerating, I really don't see how these journalists can hold their heads up."
----------------------------------

The saddest part about this is the backlash against the good people of the Muslim faith that will be targeted in the aftermath.

I just do not understand why the clerics of that faith have not been more vocal and proactive in asking their followers to refrain from using violence to get their points across..

joycenalex
03-12-2004, 12:03 PM
...2 1/2 years after new york, washington and pennsylvania... sigh, why do terrorists do those awful things? my deep condolences to the people of spain and the citizens of madrid.

slick
03-12-2004, 12:06 PM
My thoughts go out to the friends and family of the deceased and I can only ask myself

When will all this fighting end???????????

Planet of the Apes comes to mind when it was discovered that we blew ourselves up and the only thing visible was the top of the Statue of Liberty........

popcornbird
03-12-2004, 12:08 PM
I will never understand how ANYONE could be so evil as to commit such wicked crimes against humanity. May those who did this rot it Hell, where they belong. :mad::mad::mad:

The news came to us as a great shock. Sincere condolences to the families who lost loved ones, as well as to the Spanish nation as a whole. I will hope and pray that those who committed these crimes be found and brought to justice as soon as possible.

:(

ramanth
03-12-2004, 12:09 PM
So very very sad. :( :(

Edwina's Secretary
03-12-2004, 12:31 PM
The horror of an ordinary activity on an ordinary day turned into an unspeakable nightmare.

Devastating.................

trayi52
03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
So sad.. When will they stop this stupidity. The killing of innocent lives discusts me.

My prayers are with all.

Willie:(

RICHARD
03-12-2004, 12:42 PM
I just heard a report about the rescue workers dealing with the tragedy..

They reported that the worst part about the carnage were the ringing cell phones in the victim's pockets.

Every ring is the sound of a heart soon to be broken.:(

lovemyshiba
03-12-2004, 01:23 PM
How sad.
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Spain at this time.

My friend's roommate is studying over there right now, and her mom was in a total state of panic. Thank God, they finally got ahold of her, and she is alright.

RICHARD
03-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Browsing thru the pics of the marches....

People had painted the palms of their hands WHITE.......it means NO MORE TERRORISM..

Logan
03-12-2004, 01:47 PM
They are definitely in our prayers. Such a sad, sad world we live in. :(

Moose
03-12-2004, 01:49 PM
It's just awful. I feel terrible for each and every person that is having to go through this. I will be keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers....:(

primabella
03-12-2004, 03:52 PM
It's horrible. :( My condolences and prayers go out to everybody in need right now. :(

Emily, I'm glad to hear she is safe!

RICHARD
03-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I just saw more of the pictures of the 'demonstrations' all across Spain.

An incredible show of solidarity........

But on the down side..

Victim 199 was a seven month old baby that died from the wounds suffered in the blasts.

:(

slick
03-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Every ring is the sound of a heart soon to be broken.:(
Richard, you really do have a way with words that touch the soul.

IttyBittyKitty
03-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah, the newspapers in Australia are running with this story big time. The feeling is that Al-Qaeda sympathisers are responsible, but the Spanish govenment are ardently denying this as 90% of Spaniards opposed Spain's support of the Iraqi war. A leaked document even tells diplomats to stick to this "story" no matter what. I just hope the illusion doesn't extend to them stringing up some ETA (Spanish political group) scapegoats to fool the public...

amoore
03-14-2004, 11:11 AM
I am so sorry for them. It breaks my heart that such heartless things happen like that!:(

gini
03-14-2004, 11:36 AM
I do not understand such evil, but.. IT IS...IT EXISTS...........

What has been accomplished in this horrific message?

I can only pray for all of the victims and their families.

God forgive us.............

Randi
03-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Yes, it is indeed a sad world. :(

My heart goes out to all the victims and their family and friends.

BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3510142.stm

Yes Gini, what do they accomplish. :confused: :mad:

Miss Meow
03-14-2004, 02:24 PM
It's absolutely dreadful :( Such a senseless waste of life.

I was reading an article yesterday that said terrorist groups can't kill one or two people any more to gain attention; they need to hit targets that kill scores or hundreds of people. It made me sick to the bone :(

Moose
03-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
It's absolutely dreadful :( Such a senseless waste of life.

I was reading an article yesterday that said terrorist groups can't kill one or two people any more to gain attention; they need to hit targets that kill scores or hundreds of people. It made me sick to the bone :(

That's just awful. :(:(

koxka
03-15-2004, 02:16 AM
For your prayers and thoughts. It has been terrible days. All the country had been in a state of shock. The worst think ever since the end of the Civil War (1936-1939) .

Eleven millions people on the streets showing their support to the victims that is HUGE, it means 25% of the population.
The most of the shop closed earlier to let theirs workers to go to the marches and show grief.

IttyBittyKitty your post is quite accurate, only that ETA is not a politican party , they are just plain TERRORIST.

Vio&Juni
03-15-2004, 06:38 AM
At least 8 dead persons were Romanians. I was looking through the list of those in hospitals and many of them sound to be Romanian or Moldovans too. All of these people were simple workers going to work, students or children going to school. What did they have to do with what those terrorists hate? I guess, there is no answer to such questions as there is no logic in what they do :(

RICHARD
03-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by koxka

only that ETA is not a politican party , they are just plain TERRORIST.

And what about the Muslim extremists who use religion, Jihad and the Infitada to hide behind.

What a shame that people close their ears and close their fists to get their points across..

The same people who will not open their mouths to condemn these stupid acts against humanity will be the same people crying and wondering why humanity are discriminating against the muslim religion.

Koxka,

We share your pain and sorrow, We can only hope that these are the last days that any country on the planet will ever have such hate and destruction visit within it's borders.:(

KYS
03-15-2004, 08:10 PM
So heart wrenching and senseless!
I will never understand such hatred and cruelty.