PDA

View Full Version : As requested, sledding pics....

Glacier
03-11-2004, 11:59 PM
I might have posted some of these before, but here they are again. Like I said I don't have very many from the front, but lots from my viewpoint on the sled..

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20043112008452012378416.jpg
This one is coming back into my yard. We are about 100 yards from the dog run. Dogs are in order from the leaders back: Pingo & Founder, Franklin & Antare, Chase & Raven.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20043111281525440252015.jpg
Crossing a small lake, same dogs, plus Daisy the neighbor's dog is loose up front. She comes with us pretty much all the time.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20043115167330526238037.jpg
Skijoring with Muskwa last winter

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20043114888046131456013.jpg
That's me driving the sled, my friend in the sled actually owns this team. We were testing them to see if they would listen to someone besides her--she was starting a tour business.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20043116043001922519631.jpg
Franklin and Pingo raring to go! Frankin doesn't normally lead, but I like to try them all up front. He did alright. Pingo is my main leader. It's the only place she runs.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20043114103445302376694.jpg
Training this fall. Dogs are Pingo and Raven, Earle and Franklin, Chase and Antare.

Kfamr
03-12-2004, 12:03 AM
I *love* that last picture.

I've told you many times, but I Loooove Earle! :D

Glacier
03-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I *love* that last picture.

I've told you many times, but I Loooove Earle! :D

Everybody loves Earle! :D The vet always wants to keep him for observation--just in for his shots--because he is so nice. He truly has a wonderful temperment. He loves everyone as much as they love him.

popcornbird
03-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Great pics!!! I would love to go dog sledding! :p Wow! You live in SUCH an empty, cold, snowy, empty, vast land. :p

Do you have neighbors? ;)

Glacier
03-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Do you have neighbors? ;)

Actually I do! None that I can see from my home, but there are other people around! I figure if I had to I could crawl to the closest house!:eek:

trayi52
03-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the pictures, I love them. You live in a beautiful place.

I could look at pictures like these all day, I really enjoyed them!

Always take pictures when you are working them, they are so good!

Willie

popcornbird
03-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
Actually I do! None that I can see from my home, but there are other people around! I figure if I had to I could crawl to the closest house!:eek:

LOL!!! How close are stores/cities/etc. from you? From the pictures, it just looks so isolated. BEAUTIFUL, but isolated. :p I would like to go to such a place for vacation some day.........relax in the snow, all alone.........peaceful, and quiet. LOL!

Glacier
03-12-2004, 12:40 AM
LOL!!! How close are stores/cities/etc. from you? From the pictures, it just looks so isolated. BEAUTIFUL, but isolated. :p I would like to go to such a place for vacation some day.........relax in the snow, all alone.........peaceful, and quiet. LOL!

Depends how you define "city". Whitehorse is about half an hour away, but it is only about 20,000 people. The whole territory has a population of under 30,000. There's a Wal-Mart in Whitehorse, but frankly I do alot of internet shopping!

It is very peaceful and quiet here--except when the dogs are howling! There's alot of big dog teams around me so feeding time can get loud!

popcornbird
03-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Only 30,000..........and HALF AN HOUR away?!?! :eek::eek: You can fit that many people in one large building!! Wow! Does it ever get boring being so alone, or do the dogs keep you busy enough? :p Mind taking some of our people? We have millions and they cause too much traffic on the roads. :p He he he.

Ps. What month does your snow usually melt in? And.......what kind of internet connection do you have in such a place? Sorry for all those questions. I'm soooo curious. :o

Glacier
03-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Only 30,000..........and HALF AN HOUR away?!?! :eek::eek: You can fit that many people in one large building!! Wow! Does it ever get boring being so alone, or do the dogs keep you busy enough? :p Mind taking some of our people? We have millions and they cause too much traffic on the roads. :p He he he.

Ps. What month does your snow usually melt in?

No it doesn't get boring. I suppose it might if I was a teenager or looking for night life! But I got that out of my system a few years ago! ;) I sometimes wish it was easier to get to my family as they are all far away. I used to live in Calgary--1 million people and growing. Hated every minute of it!!

There is enough snow to run the dogs until early April. Then it gets too warm for them. There is still some on the ground in late May, lots at the higher elevations. We can't plant anything outside until late June, that's when the frost usually stops at night.

Oh, I have a cable modem connection. Only because the gov't did some "wire the territory" project a couple years ago! Otherwise I'd have dial-up or nothing. Lots of people up here choose to live without phone, electricity, running water ect.

popcornbird
03-12-2004, 12:56 AM

Oh, I have a cable modem connection. Only because the gov't did some "wire the territory" project a couple years ago! Otherwise I'd have dial-up or nothing. Lots of people up here choose to live without phone, electricity, running water ect.

Wow! I'm surprised you have cable. I have a friend who lives in the countryside (where there ARE people........a house ever 4-5 acres), and they had to get satellite internet because they didn't have cable or dsl there, and they didn't want dial up because it makes the phone busy. How in the world could anyone live without electricity/running water in such cold weather? I think I'd freeze to death! :o

Glacier
03-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Wow! I'm surprised you have cable. I have a friend who lives in the countryside (where there ARE people........a house ever 4-5 acres), and they had to get satellite internet because they didn't have cable or dsl there, and they didn't want dial up because it makes the phone busy. How in the world could anyone live without electricity/running water in such cold weather? I think I'd freeze to death! :o

I have a satelitte for television! Cable modem was some promo deal.

Don't need electricity to run a wood stove! That's how I heat my house. We have running water, but not in the same sense city dwellers have. We have a 1000 gallon holding tank and a pump under the house. That's where our water comes from. Fresh water gets delivered once a week--it comes out of the tap like normal places, but limited supply. Well, kinda, my husband owns the delivery truck so really I could get as much water as I wanted!:p

EssTer
03-12-2004, 04:39 AM
very beautiful doggie pics! I love ' em! do you have snow there all year around?

RobiLee
03-12-2004, 06:14 AM
I love the pics! Actual working dogs, Fantastic! They are beautiful and I love seeing them do what they love best. I think your life and where you live sounds so interesting. Keep on posting those pics!

Robin :)

ramanth
03-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Do keep close tabs on the Iditarod? Do you have a fave team?

I always love seeing your crew on the go. :D

Corinna
03-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Glacier love the pics. Well i guess I have to cheer for Jason Barron now . Since Doug pulled an begainners mistake. Still 7 Montanans in the race. Yeah!!!!! Looks like that new sled is doing very well .

Glacier
03-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by EssTer
very beautiful doggie pics! I love ' em! do you have snow there all year around?

No, we actually get a few months without snow. It does stay year round up high in the mountains.

Glacier
03-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Do keep close tabs on the Iditarod? Do you have a fave team?

I always love seeing your crew on the go. :D

I prefer the Yukon Quest since it is closer to me. But this year I have a friend running the Iditarod--Karen Ramstead. She's running a team of purebred siberians!

ramanth
03-12-2004, 12:21 PM
I prefer the Yukon Quest since it is closer to me. But this year I have a friend running the Iditarod--Karen Ramstead. She's running a team of purebred siberians!
Cool! I'll see if they info about her and her team on the website. I catch updates thru Weather.com. All the dogs in their booties just itching to run. Such a sight. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
03-12-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd LOVE to live where you live. It's just absolutely beautiful. The pictures and senerey(sp?) are breathtaking. The dogs are so beautiful! :)

trayi52
03-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I would love to live there, sounds like my kind of peace. Everything you explained to Poppy just sounded like my cup of tea, and my kind of life. Enjoyed the pictures as well as the description of your life.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Willie

sisterdog
03-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I love seeing pictures of your dogs!

It's also very interesting hearing about your life up north. I was especially interested in how you have your water system. I have a rainwater harvesting system at my house - two 5500 gallon tanks and a pump and filters. I have to be careful that the pump doesn't freeze in winter, and our winters are wimpy compared to yours. How on earth do you keep your tank and pump from freezing solid?

ChrisH
03-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Great pictures and a wonderful way of life you have. :)