PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever given your cat a bath?

halliecat
03-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Has anyone else attempted this (and lived to tell about it)?

About a month ago, I took Halle to the vet because she was missing patches of fur and had sores on her side. The vet said it was from allergies and she had scratched herself. He gave her a shot of cortisone and all was well for a while. Recently she has started some of that scratching again. I decided to give her a bath to see if that will help.

I first filled up the sink with warm water.....then went to capture Miss Hallie. I managed to get her wet , wash her with the kittly soap AND rinse her off. Hopefully, the neighbors weren't listening since there was a lot of poor kitty yowling!

Anyway, we made through the ordeal with no injuries although both of us were wet!

Is there a proper way to give a cat a bath?

(It would have been funny to see on film but had my hands full!)

catnapper
03-11-2004, 07:18 PM
I gave Pouncer a bath about a month ago and I too survived.:D Its amazing how they can be everywhere at once.

Nicki has allergies too. We can't change her food or she'll get the sores from food allergies and I give her Benadryl everyday in the summer (vet told me to give her one since she so big, and it would reall help her) Did the vet say that you can do anything at home? Can he give you a tube of the cortizone to apply at home?

Sirrahsim
03-11-2004, 07:27 PM
I give Boomer baths regularly because a)my husband is allergic to him, and b) sometimes Boomer is less than faithful about keeping his rear end clean.
I usually fill up the bath tub about 5 inches or so (about halfway up his tummy) with nice warm water. I close Boomer and I in the bathroom and slowly lower him into the water. Generally I just let him sit there for a moment until he relaxes and then i use a cup or the sprayer to wet everything but his face. I rub in the kitty shampoo and then rinse him with the sprayer and give him a little massage if he's being a good boy. once he's all rinsed off I set him on a towel that I had layed out on the floor and then wrap him up in a burrito with another towel. I dry him off as best as I can and then let him free. As soon as I let him go he usually stalks off to find a place to lick lick lick until he's dry again:) occasionally i'll use just a dab of Herbal Essences conditioner because it makes him feel soooo soft and smell sooo good. I don't know if there is a proper way to do it, but this is how I do it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by halliecat
Hopefully, the neighbors weren't listening since there was a lot of poor kitty yowling!

You mean where it sounds like you're absolutely torturing the poor thing? ;) :D

After 17 1/2 years, Tubby recently got his first bath ever! :eek: I was always afraid to even attempt it, but it actually went quite well. Unlike Sirrahsim, I don't put any water in the tub because Tubby seems to not even notice he's wet....until his feet get wet, and then he wants OUT! He had a spot on his back that the vet said was probably some sort of bacterial thing because he can't quite reach that spot very well anymore. So to help him out, I gave him a bath to see if I could get rid of the spot.

I get everything ready. Shower door open, kitty shampoo handy and open and a large plastic cup on hand. I get Tubby and close us both in the bathroom and put him in the bathtub. One of the advantages I have is we have the glass shower doors, so he can't get out except to go past me. ;) Then I turn the water on slow so it doesn't make a lot of noise and fill the cup and dump it on him. I do that a couple of times and rub him to get the water to soak in, otherwise it just runs off. Once I get him sufficiently wet I lather, rinse and repeat. ;) I get a few yowls out of him while this is going on, but usually the serious "She's killing me" yowls come when I try and wipe him off. :rolleyes:

I really don't think there is a right or wrong way, it's just whatever works best for you and your kitty.

slick
03-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I've never given Max the full bath treatment, only the occasional "butt bath" when he's had the runs. Personally I would not attempt it. Max goes to the groomers twice a year for the full spa treatment.

moosmom
03-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Okay, you're probably going to think this is weird, but here goes anyway.

I've given some of my cats a bath. MooShoo, my hairless cat gets a bath at least 2-3 times a month because he has no fur for his oil to go into.

What I do when I've given my furred kids a bath (Moo's so used to it he just stands there and meows for all of 5 minutes) is I put a dish towel down so the cat won't skid around. I put about 3-6 inches of water in the tub. I then strip, hop in the tub with the cat facing away from me (gives me more control and saves me from getting scratched) and wet him down using a cup for the water. I figured I'm going to get wet ANYWAY so why not just hop in with them???

Works everytime. The only thing they WON'T stick around for is the blow dryer. I just try to rub them down with a towel to get most of the water off of them By that time, they're so pissed at me they run, hide and groom till they're dry.

sirrahbed
03-12-2004, 06:57 AM
One of my older geriatrics got a rash from fleabites and I had to bathe him with a special shampoo. I followed some directions that worked beautifully. Essentially it was running a nice warm tub ahead of time. Then getting the cat and wrapping him firmly burrito style in a towel and lowering the whole burrito into the bath. The cat relaxes very nicely and you can shampoo him right through the towel! Then swish and loosen the towel enough to rinse and dry him with another towel. It worked amazingly well for my older cat.
Teehe.. then there is the fully illustrated Butt Bath Manual (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40554&highlight=butt+bath) for smaller, smelly area jobs:D :D

Felicia's Mom
03-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Beau used to get baths before a cat show. I found it easiest to take him in the shower with me. Making sure his claws were clipped of course!

shais_mom
03-12-2004, 05:16 PM
I give Kylie baths occasionally b/c I think the static starts to get to her after while and she looks about twice as big as she really is. And she isn't small!!!
And I also have taken her to the groomer for a batha nd shave of the butt and belly area. She looks so cute like an inverse Mohawk!!! ;)
And Donna I usually get almost Nekkid toio!!! And also when I give Keegan a bath. It is much easier that way. And invariable I have to take a shower afterwards anyway!!!

DogLover9501
03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Tigger has had ONE bath in his whole life(6 years) and that one time, my dad and I had to do it, my dad was wearing MITTENS :o and still got hurt--Tigger was NOT a happy cat!

RICHARD
03-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
And I also have taken her to the groomer for a batha nd shave of the butt and belly area. She looks so cute like an inverse Mohawk!!! ;)

Eddie says,

Kylie!!!

trayi52
03-12-2004, 06:20 PM
I gave Grover a bath one time. She was still just a baby and she didn't smell so good. I got injured, and she got angry. Whew what an ordeal!! Now I am scared to death to give her another one! She is bigger now, and her claws are longer. She has me trained very well....

catland
03-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Ok, this may sound funny but I think the thing to do is to let them know you are in charge by holding them firmly. I usually try to talk in a soothing voice during the ordeal, but I keep a firm grip and let them know I mean business.

If they sense weakness or tentiveness or fear out of you - you are done for.

and of course, lots of love and attention after its all over.

:D

trayi52
03-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Well catland, I'm dead for sure!! Grover can sense all kinds of FEAR in me. I swear those claws just scare me to death! and I'm afraid she will hate me......

catland
03-12-2004, 06:33 PM
tray - if Slick can bathe Mario, you can't be scared of a little kitty.;)

trayi52
03-12-2004, 06:46 PM
You didn't see me in there helping her did you??;)

catland
03-12-2004, 06:57 PM
From an old Steve Martin routine (for those of us who remember when he was a stand-up comic way back in the 70's).

"gave my cat a bath the other day.... he really seemed to enjoy it.

But now I have cat fur stuck on my tongue"

trayi52
03-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Thats about right catland!! The honest to god truth!!

shais_mom
03-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Eddie says,

Kylie!!!

:p

jaqi
03-12-2004, 08:50 PM
I've never had to bathe Checkers before. However...

He has always loved to dash into the bathroom and hide into the tub and once, when he was in trouble for something he ran in for a place to hide and whoops, it was full of bathwater... he was out as fast as his feet hit the bottom. Since then he checks first;)

Actually though I think I could bathe him under warm running water in the sink because when he's in the kitchen sink (getting in trouble again--he's not supposed to lick out the cereal bowls:p ) I've run the water over him to startle him out and he just stood under it. Strange kitty:confused:

sirrahved
03-13-2004, 09:35 AM
I just took Marsh in the shower with me, washed her as fast as I could with a washcloth and shampoo, and then handed her off to my hubby and let him dry her off.

Cataholic
03-13-2004, 02:59 PM
When I had just gotten Allie and Dakky, my home was infested with fleas. To this day, the only thing I can figure out is the fleas were there before I moved in, four months earlier, and just took that long to reach infestation? My cats dont go outside, so, I really didn't know how else it happened.

Anyhow, I bathed ALL FIVE CATS in one sitting. It was HORRIBLE. Tex, of course, was a gentleman, and Georgia wasn't too bad. But, Tenny? Goodness, my most docile cat became a TIGER! And, Allie and Dakky were too little to give much trouble. Today, I shudder to think what bathing Dakky would be like. Allie, being a brat, would still think it was kind of neat.