PDA

View Full Version : House Training

Doggirl
03-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi,

I am about to get a new dog and have been reading up on how to train dogs, but I have been confused with the different methods and was wondering what methods owners on this board use. Thanks for the help.

dog lover,
Doggirl

guster girl
03-13-2004, 08:34 PM
You should definitely check into crate training. :) **bump**

Lissa
03-13-2004, 10:42 PM
First off, Welcome. I am Melissa and mommy to Layla a almost one year old border collie/german shepherd.
With Layla I would take her out every 1 to 2 hours, and we would stay out untill she went. After she went we would act like fools cheering for her giving her treats and saying good girl. If she went in the house we would take her over to the spot where the accident was and say bad girl and take her outside. She caught on really fast, maybe we were lucky but in less than a week she would go to the door and whine. Agter that she only had a few accidents, but when I crate trained her it stopped all together. She only has accidents when she gets really excited, like at the pet store, her favorite place because they give her treats. Hope I was helpful.
What kind of dog are you getting?

DogLover9501
03-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Welcome to PT!!

I strongly suggest clicker training! Today was Jasper's first day and he is already doing great!

Lissa
03-13-2004, 11:26 PM
I think I miss read the post. I saw the title house training and assumed it was just house breaking. I have done all training myself, Layla is food motivated and is easy to train when I have time to work with her. She knows basics sit, down, come, shake, but we have yet to master stay so I don't think I can help much. I have to second clicker training. I haven't found anyone close enough to me that does it but I would love to.

DogLover9501
03-13-2004, 11:41 PM
lol oh maybe it is :o sorry!

Lissa
03-14-2004, 01:46 AM
I have no idea....I guess it's just how you read it. Its all good advice so its not hurtin'...:D

BitsyNaceyDog
03-14-2004, 08:02 AM
This might sound silly, but when I got my min pin Charlie he was 2 years old not neutered and not house broke. The first thing I did was get him an appointment to be neutered. When I wasn't home I crated him, and when I was home I kept him on a leash (even in the house). He was with me at all times. We went outside often and he was rewarded for going potty outside. We gave him praise and a small treat. It worked great. He does get ceated still at night, but he doesn't mind, in fact he likes it, That's HIS bed.

Good luck. We would all like to know about you and your new dog (along with any animals you may already have).

Doggirl
03-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I am not sure what kind of dog I am getting, but I am defineatly going to try to get one from the pound and only after we move,but right now I am the proud owner of a Rat and a Box Turtle. The Rat, whos name is Ophelia, is a rescuse from a reaserch Center. The Turtle, whos name is Martog, is a pet store buy, but I do pet sit for my neighbors 3 dogs. :D