PDA

View Full Version : Oh my gosh Please reply Immediatly I need help fast!!

whalelover
03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for your help, I've frozen him.:( :)

Twisterdog
03-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Do not flush a fish. It is not a quick, painless death as many people think. It is really not humane at all. Fish breathe through their gills, and when you drop them in the toilet and they travel down to the sewer, they are basically suffocating slowing on bleach and sewage. Not a nice way to die.

Put your fish and some of his own aquarium water in a ziplock baggie, and put it in the freezer. I put the baggie inside a brown paper lunch bag - that way I don't have to see the fish later. This is a more humane way to kill a fish. Since fish are cold-blooded animals, he will just get cold and sluggish, and go into a coma of sorts. He will be unconscious and then die, in his own treated water. Much more humane than suffocating on sewage.

sirrahved
03-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Bettas breathe air...

But anyhow...
soo sorry about your fish. I'd let him be, maybe he gets better?

green_chameleon_girl
03-12-2004, 05:54 PM
what do you mean by you shook his container:confused:

I hope your fishy can get better soon! How often do you clean the tank? mabey try a different type of food?

whalelover
03-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I change his water about once every two weeks, but I think I'll start doing it more often for as long as he lives(which might now be that long!:p :( )But anyhow, I've recently added a plant to his otherwise "boring" critter keeper thing I keep him in. He seems to enjoy sitting in the plant, lol. I just did a water change about an hour ago, I put some de-chlorinizer in, aswell as some stress coat stuff that I bought at Petland about a month ago. It's supposed to releive the stress, take out the chlorine, and enhance their natural slime coat. Harvey still lays on the bottom though, no matter what I do. I've just been researching though and apparently if the water is too cold it can cause them to be sluggish, so I might add some warmer water to his condo.

green_chameleon_girl
03-12-2004, 06:45 PM
:) hope he gets better soon!

Twisterdog
03-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Bettas breathe air...

Good point. I wasn't even thinking about that at the time. Thanks for reminding me. Still, I think freezing is more humane.

I change his water about once every two weeks,

That is WAY too long between water changes, especially for a betta in a bowl. You need to change his water AT LEAST twice a week, I'd say.

If you get another betta, please consider getting a five gallon tank with a filter and heater. Although bettas are tough fish, and can be forced to survive in a small amount of dirty water ... it is certainly not a natural or good habitat for them.

RubyMutt
03-13-2004, 05:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Are you positive it's not treatable? I sounds like it I suppose :(

Here's a couple links that may help you...

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/magazineArticle.cfm?ARTICLEID=1387

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/Euthanization.htm

whalelover
03-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I'll change his water more often then, and his critter keeper isn't that small. He has tons of room to swim around he just doesn't chose to, all he does it lie down.

Karen
03-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Because fish are cold-blooded, as has been mentioned, make sure you keep him in a warm enouh room. Cold-blooded creatures slow down when they are cold. Let water sit out for a day before you add it to his tank, too.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

whalelover
03-13-2004, 02:02 PM
I think I've made a decision to put him in the freezer. He can't even swim, and uses every ounce of his energy and strength even to turn around, so I think it's a good idea. Does anybody else agree?¿

BitsyNaceyDog
03-13-2004, 04:20 PM
That sounds like the best thing at this point. I'm sorry about your fish.:(