PDA

View Full Version : New dog?

Lissa
03-11-2004, 02:09 PM
My boyfriend might be moving into a house with lots of property, and if he does we're goin to get another dog. He said Layla was too much mine and it was no fun. I'm tryin to talk him into a dobbie, but he's leaning toward husky. I don't think he would want a husky for several reasons. I am so excited! It would be so great, plus Layla would have a playmate. I'm so excited

lv4dogs
03-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Good for you, him & Layla! Im sure you'll find one for you (him) lol.
visit your local shelters, there has to be one that would suite you there!

Lissa
03-11-2004, 03:57 PM
The shelter and SPCA or other rescue groups would be the only places that we would look. Besides niether one of us can pay such a large amount of money for a pure breed dog, when we can find a great dog that need a home for so much less money, ya know. I've always thought it was nuts to pay hundreds of dollars for an animal unless you show them, thats just me though.

Moose
03-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Lissa
The shelter and SPCA or other rescue groups would be the only places that we would look. Besides niether one of us can pay such a large amount of money for a pure breed dog, when we can find a great dog that need a home for so much less money, ya know. I've always thought it was nuts to pay hundreds of dollars for an animal unless you show them, thats just me though.

I'm glad you are looking to adopt. I hope you get a Dobie! I would love to see another Dobie owner on the board! :D

Anyway...my point was...lol. ;):p I'm sure you'll find that perfect dog just waiting for you to come and get them. :) We adopted our Moosey-guy and Zoey-girl from the shelter and I couldn't be happier. :D:)

wolf_Q
03-11-2004, 06:33 PM
That's great! Wish I could get another dog. :(

Whats the reason behind not wanting a husky? Just curious. ;) Lol I'll be happy to provide a list of reasons not to get one in case your boyfriend wants to see. ;)

I love the breed, but they are not for everyone!

Lissa
03-12-2004, 11:12 PM
They are wonderful dogs, beautiful and intelligent, but I just don't think it would be a match for his personality. First there is the shedding and I can't see him brushing and grooming the amount that it would take, but the number one reason is he likes an extremely eager to please, listens and is obiediant. And from my understanding of huskies, thats not them. They can learn but often choose when to use what they learn. I think he would do better with a lab, golden, shepherd, dobbie, something along those lines. I would love to hear imput on what you guys think. I just think it would be best for all involved if he didn't get a husky. I just don't see it as a good match at all.
And even if he doesn't get a dobbie I WILL have one in two years when I move and will be able to have a second dog. From what I've read and been around them I think they would be a perfect match for me and my lifestyle.

SuperLab123
03-13-2004, 09:05 AM
good for u! have fun with ur new pup! he probably wants a husky cause its a masculine dog, but if u get one ... get a female! cause male huskys 'mark their spots' everywhere.. and are very very hormonal.. but huskies are beautiful.. i love labs personally but any dog u get, you will LOVE! have fun:D

DogLover9501
03-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Good luck in getting a new puppy:D

Also my aunts male husky didn't mark his spot everywhere, even when he wasn't neutered

Lissa
03-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Wolf_Q I would like to hear you're reasons for him not getting a husky. The more reasons and info I have the better. He's subborn. With the right dog he will be a wonderful owner, but I can see him getting frustrated with a husky's independent nature.

Cincy'sMom
03-13-2004, 01:41 PM
but the number one reason is he likes an extremely eager to please, listens and is obiediant. And from my understanding of huskies, thats not them. They can learn but often choose when to use what they learn. I think he would do better with a lab, golden, shepherd, dobbie, something along those lines.

I think you are onthe right track with your suggestions. When you said he would want something eager to please,i was thining more along the lines of a golden, lab or shepherd. I dont know too much about dobbies, but they are very trainable as well.

Good luck to you both of you. I hope he will listen to your input and base his decision on a best fit dog for him.

dappledoxie
03-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh how exciting, I hope you can rescue a dobie, I love dobes!!

wolf_Q
03-13-2004, 03:39 PM
cause male huskys 'mark their spots' everywhere.. and are very very hormonal..

I've never heard this from anyone else, I have a husky and he doesn't do that...of course he's neutered, but still...

They are wonderful dogs, beautiful and intelligent, but I just don't think it would be a match for his personality. First there is the shedding and I can't see him brushing and grooming the amount that it would take, but the number one reason is he likes an extremely eager to please, listens and is obiediant. And from my understanding of huskies, thats not them. They can learn but often choose when to use what they learn

Yep, you are completely right on this! If you are looking for a dog that is obedient and eager to please, I don't think you'll find that in a husky! Nebo is fairly obedient, but if he doesn't want to do something, he's not gonna do it. And his motivation for doing things certainly isn't to please me! He's very food motivated, but if he's bored with something, he won't do it even for food!

And they do shed a ton! They blow their coats about twice a year, and need to be brushed regularly. They also are known to be extreme diggers and escape artists. They have a great desire to run and a high prey drive...most huskies can never be allowed off-leash!

Lissa
03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the help. I feel better with the backing of everyones advice. I would love a husky, they are just wonderful dogs and maybe someday it will be a better choice for us, but I just don't think a nonfenced yard on top of other things makes it a good time for a dog that can't be off leash. I am praying for a doberman. The more reading I do and people I talk to I think it would be a perfect match for both Alvin (my boyfriend) and I. I think it is the exact dog we are looking for, plus its a 'masculine' looking dog, unlike my darling little girly. If he was getting a yard with a good tall fence, it might be a little less worrisome to me. I think he needs to work on his patience before he gets a dog at all though. He gets angry if it doesn't listen right away, though he would NEVER hurt an animal, I can see it could get stressful. He has gotten a lot better with patience with Layla though. I think a young adult dog would also be best, at least a year old but I think 2 years would be ideal. I'm not ready to do the puppy thing again. I understand there will be work with an adult too, but I can see it being easier. Am I misguided in this idea? I would like some advise on this too. Thanks again. It feels good to talk about my concerns and ideas.

amoore
03-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Congrats on the new dog. Hope it works out that all of you will be happy.

I was not planing to get another dog. I was planing to get another cat in the future. But a sweetnatured dog wondered into my yard and convinced me she was what I wanted.I don't even know what kind she is.

You may get one that will still your heart that may not be a dobe or a huskey, (if you look at all of them in the shelters.) They are all pretty sweet dogs there.:) Can still your heart if you look into their eyes.:)

Good luck on your your furkid hunt.:)

Cincy'sMom
03-14-2004, 08:44 AM
I think a young adult dog would also be best, at least a year old but I think 2 years would be ideal. I'm not ready to do the puppy thing again. I understand there will be work with an adult too, but I can see it being easier. Am I misguided in this idea? I would like some advise on this too. Thanks again. It feels good to talk about my concerns and ideas.

Of our three dogs, both girls we got as puppy's, and Spot we got at 2 1/2 years. He was definatly the easiest. He was already trained, just needed a little brushing up. It was also easier to introduce him to our other dogs. When we first got Cincy, Sadie, although only ayear old, wasn't quite sure how to handle a puppy. With Spot, who is the same age as her, she knew right away how to play, and they were getting along wonderfully within hours of meeting.

Of course that doesn't mean every older dog will be easy. Becuase you are concerned about your bf's patience levels, I think I may first try a rescue group that has their pets in foster homes. That way you can talk to someone who has be living with the dog, and get a better idea of their temprement. If you do find one in a shleter (and that is where we got Spot), try to get as much info as you can as to the dog's former living situation. I would probablly shy away from a dog that was taken away or surrendered because it was abused. Even though your bf wouldn't hurt the dog, if it previously has been asbused, astrong willed male could be very intimidating.

clara4457
03-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
Of course that doesn't mean every older dog will be easy. Becuase you are concerned about your bf's patience levels, I think I may first try a rescue group that has their pets in foster homes. That way you can talk to someone who has be living with the dog, and get a better idea of their temprement. If you do find one in a shleter (and that is where we got Spot), try to get as much info as you can as to the dog's former living situation. I would probablly shy away from a dog that was taken away or surrendered because it was abused. Even though your bf wouldn't hurt the dog, if it previously has been asbused, astrong willed male could be very intimidating.

I definitely agree with this suggestion. Rescue organizations are terrific places to get a new pet and if the dogs have been in foster homes, the rescue organization has an excellent idea of personality and temperment and usually do a very good job of matching pets and people. Many shelters also have foster programs and have a pretty good idea of personality as well. If you decide to go the shelter route, look for a shelter that has a behaviorist or trainer on staff or as a volunteer. If you tell them that you are looking for a dog that is "eager to please", highly socialible and such - they can also help find the perfect dog for you. :)

Good Luck - I am so happy you are going to adopt another dog and I am very happy you are going to adopt an adult dog. They have the harder time of being adopted.

Lissa
03-14-2004, 11:37 AM
That was one reason I wanted an adult...they are hard to get adopted because everyone wants a cute puppy. Me personally I have learned that baby animals are great, cute and I love them, but I'm not ready for that agian. There was just something about it that I didn't like. Where as living with a adult dog is great. Even with her still not being trained.