PDA

View Full Version : My story again lol

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:10 PM
I made a few minor changes. I still don't have a name for the story lol. I had writers block for a while, so sorry about leaving you all in the dark. It's also not finished yet lol. I'm only on Chapter 6. :o

Prologue

Tera screamed even louder than the last time. Another contraction. They were getting worse. Elsthapeth wiped the sweat away from her forehead. One more push. Tera heaved. Elsthapeth saw two tiny feet emerge from within. "She's breach!" she yelled to the other women. She could now barely see beyond the women's heads; they were crowded around Tera. She sighed with relief when she saw the baby emerge completely. Elsthapeth's own sister, Berta, was given a great honor; it was she who bit the umbilical cord in half.
The baby girl was set in her mother's arms. Tera smiled at her, panting. Suddenly a crazed look was in her eyes. "No..NO!" she screamed. She heaved and panted.
"Another one!" someone screamed.
Elsthapeth watched in anxiety as blood seeped from Tera. Too much blood, she thought. Finally, the baby came out. Elsthapeth smiled, and wiped the baby down. She handed the baby to Berta. She went to wipe down Tera and congratulate her. But Tera wouldn't look at her. She only looked straight ahead, with a blank stare. Elsthapeth shook her. Tera's hand slipped off the bed and hung there. "No.." Elsthapeth whispered. She dropped the rag. Everyone quieted and stared.

With tears running down her cheeks, she watched them cover Tera's body.

The babies lay in the cradle. The first one, small and perfect; with light hair and skin. The second; large and dark. You'd never have guessed them twin sisters.

Never.

Chapter 1
It was Tymber's time to go. They told her to find her spirit bond. They didn't tell her where to go, or what to do. They just told her to go and search. They said that she'd know what to do when it happened. Neolyn looked more confident than her. Her sister was sure that she'd have the strongest and cleverest spirit bond. "Maybe it will be a bear," she said. "They are very strong and wise. Stronger than your spirit bond will be atleast." She laughed at Tymber. "Maybe you'll get a fish." Tymber reddened at the thought. Her sister was always trying to find new ways to insult and humiliate her. Well, this time her sister will be the embarassed one, because Tymber was going to find the best spirit bond the village had ever seen.
She set off through the forest. Neolyn took the other side of the forest, saying that's where the animals were most common and that Tymber would take forever her way. Tymber wanted to take her time. If she was going to be with this animal her entire life, she wanted to choose wisely. She thought of taking the path, but she decided against it. This may be the only adventure she'd ever get. Might as well make it an interesting one. She veered off track and through the brush. She sang the old song "Sunn and Staar" and didn't even falter when her legs were prodded by prickles. She wondered how long this was going to take. Her caretaker, Berta, told her that her mother took two weeks to find her spirit bond. Tymber wondered if she would have an owl like her. Everyone said that Tymber looked just like her mother. Neolyn didn't look anything like her. Behind Neolyn's back, people often said that she had the same features as Jemma, the Dark God's second child. Tymber shivered at the thought. There wasn't any way she could deny that. Her sister even acted like a devil child.
She noticed that the sun was setting. She wasn't allowed to bring any supplies with her, so she'd have to find a cave or some other shelter for the night. She hiked another hour or so, and came across a small dark cave. She bent her head down and looked into it. She couldn't see anything in the darkness. "Hello?" she called. Echos bounced off the wall. She laughed and did it again. The echos were so amusing that she fell asleep inside the cave making noises.
When she awoke, she was immediatly hungry. She stepped out of the cave and walked until she came to a river. She was surprised and happy to see many large bottom feeders. She found a long stick and sharpened the end with a flat rock. She thought again about what Neolyn told her about having a fish for a spirit bond. She ignored the memory, and stepped into the cold water. As cold as it was, it was refreshing to her feet that suffered the long trip the day before. The fish didn't even move when she approached them. She jabbed the stick through a fish and brought it to shore. It writhed wildly on the ground. She tried to catch it before it made it's way back to the water. She leaped and grabbed the fish with both hands. Tymber gasped and cried out when both her hands were deeply cut by the fish's sharp barbs. She cringed at the blood that was pouring out onto the ground. "How stupid am I?!" she cursed outloud. Tymber ripped two peices of her shirt off and wrapped the fabric around both hands. The fish got away. "Now," she told herself, "here we go again." She slowly walked back over to where the fish were. This time, instead of holding position, the fish darted out every which way. Tymber stabbed the stick down wildly, trying any way to find a target. She only stopped when she stubbed her toe on a rock and fully emerged into the water. "Shoot!" she said. If it wasn't for the cold water, that would have been really painful. Right now she was just cold. Shivering, she wrapped her arms around herself. When she pulled them back, she noticed the blood all over her shirt. Her hands were still bleeding. And the water was turning red with it. "Well, this is certain to attract the fish atleast," she said, watching the red float down the river. It was only when she saw a slight fringe on the water when she remembered that blood can attract more dangerous things than fish! She turned and splashed to the shore. The water slowed her, and she felt like she was racing in a dream. She tripped onto the shore when the crocodile's jaws snapped within an inch of her feet. She sprang back, crawling backwards on all fours toward the trees. "Oh no, oh no, oh no.." she mumbled. Tymber looked around her for any weapon. She had dropped her stick in the water. The crocodile advanced slowly, then sprang forward. Tymber turned her head and waited. When nothing happened, she turned back. There, on top of the crocodile, was a dog! No! A wolf! A black wolf, growling in anger, tearing into the crocodile's tough skin. The crocodile reared and tumbled onto it's side. The wolf herded it into the water.
Tymber looked closely at the panting wolf. It stood there, with it's head down, staring at her with bright yellow eyes. His black muzzle was drenched with the crocodile's blood. He collapsed in front of her and lay his head on the ground. "You saved my life," Tymber told him. The wolf looked up at her and cocked his head, ears perked. "Thank you. Thank you so much!" Another thought occured to Tymber. "Are you...are you my spirit bond?"
Yes.
It was nothing Tymber had ever heard. The wolf didn't move his mouth, nor did he speak outloud. The sound wasn't in her ears, but in her mind!
"You are my spirit bond!" Tymber was amazed. "A wolf. A wolf is my spirit bond. Won't Neolyn be jealous!"
Neolyn?
"My twin sister," Tymber explained. "We both turned sixteen yesterday, and so we both set out in search of our bond. Now, I found you -- well, I suppose that you found me! -- and...well, I don't know who Neolyn has found."
The wolf nodded. My name is Staar, he told her.
"Staar..." Tymber whispered. "That's a lovely name. Like in the story, Sunn and Staar." she smiled. "My name is Tymber."
Tymber. I am not tired in the least. We should move. Where do we leave to?
"I suppose we'd better start to go home. My home, that is. Although, I didn't get to eat breakfast. I was going to have fish; but there's no way I'm going back in the water." Staar dashed off and in doing so kicked a pile of dust into her face. "Wait! Where are you going?" Tymber worried herself completely. "Spirit bonds don't run off, they stay with their own bond,"she told herself. It was only when Staar came back that her anxiety ended. He dropped a rabbit at her feet. Tymber smiled at him, "So that's why you were gone! You scared me, running off like that."
Staar didn't look a single bit sheepish. Eat, and then we may go to your home.
Tymber found some fireweed and started a small fire. The rabbit tasted great once it was done cooking. She thought about going back to the cave, but Staar seemed so desperate to get home that she decided against it, and they started for home.
What is this home like? Staar asked Tymber.
"It is a nice home, I suppose. There are many families. Everyone lives in tents, not cottages like the outsiders. And everyone is happy. Well, not Neolyn. She's always mad at something or someone."
At you? Staar asked.
"Yes," Tymber replied. "Me most often. People tell me she's just jealous. Well, I don't know. But I do hope she's jealous that I have such a wonderful bond. She told me I'd get a fish."
A fish? Well I'm not a fish. Maybe she'll get a fish.
Tymber laughed. "I hope so! That would be funny. She's always saying how she is going to get something big and powerful."
Maybe she will surprise herself.
"Maybe she will."

It must have been past midnight. Tymber was so tired and her feet were aching, but Staar seemed so determined to be in his new home. So she tried to forget the pain, and went on for her new friend. She looked down at him. He looked like he wanted to run, but kept his pace minimal for her. They were both doing something for eachother. Tymber smiled. She was glad she ended up with a wolf. In the tribe, once you have your spirit bond, they will teach you how to use your new powers and how to communicate better with your bond. Tymber wondered what power she would have. Would she be able to shoot fire with her fingertips, like Bron? Or disappear, like Race? Or maybe she could even turn into water, like Faye.
The tribe tents were so camaflauged she could barely see them in the darkness. She stood at the edge of the forest with Staar.
Home? Staar asked.
"Home." Then she heard the drums. She ran to down the clearing and throught the forest again into another clearing. There was the entire tribe around the fire. They were celebrating -- but what? Then she noticed Neolyn. Everyone shaking her hand, putting their goblet to hers; Neolyn must have been the first to bring back her spirit bond. And Tymber was the last. The last was always excluded from the celebration; just like her mother.
"It's Tymber! Tymber is back!" Someone yelled. The drums stopped banging. Staar noticed Tymber's anxiety and his hackles raised. Her hand trailed his back.
"Tymber!" Berta ran up to Tymber. She held her shoulders firmly and looked into her eyes. "You know the rules, you were the last to find a spirit bond, and so you must sit out of the celebration."
"I know." Tymber said, dissapointed.
Berta looked down at the black wolf. Her expression was hard to read. Then she looked back at Tymber with a sweet smile. "Why don't you and your dog run along?"
Staar growled. Tymber squeezed the fur upright on his back. "He's a wolf, caretaker," Tymber said.
"A wolf!" someone nearby shouted.
Suddenly everyone started talking and whispering and looking at Tymber with accusing glares. The firelight flickered in Staar's yellow eyes as he growled at the stares.
Neolyn walked quickly towards Tymber with her new spirit bond; a mountain lion. Neolyn looked down at Staar and turned her glance back to Tymber like she didn't care. "What is all of this about?" she scoffed. "Why is everyone so interested in my stupid sister and her ugly dog?"
At this, Staar let out a loud snarl, obviously angry at the comparison. I don't like this one, Staar mindspoke with Tymber. When I look at her, I look into the eyes of evil.
Tymber nodded without looking at him. When people started moving closer to her, she turned and took off. She ran back through the woods and into the next clearing, in the small village where tents were set up everywhere. She ran past it and into the forest again, and pulled herself deep into a hole underneath a large tree. She clutched Staar close to her. They heard the villagers calling her name, searching for her. Tymber buried her face in the scruff of Staar's neck.
Why do they act this way? Staar asked.
"I don't know." Tymber replied, "They looked at you like they've never seen a wolf before. And everyone looked at me like I was a chicken over a fire but it was fasting season. I've never felt so judged."
I won't judge you, Staar told her.
"I know." Tymber answered. She loved his silent comfort. She loved how he could make her smile. She loved him. "You are my best friend, Staar."
You are my sister, and we are pack. I will always protect you, and follow you.
Tymber felt happy tears travel down her cheeks. "I know you will, my brother."

Tymber awoke under the tree. Sunlight shone through the opening. She hid the light by putting her eyes back into Staar's fur.
Do you come here when you are frightened? Staar asked her.
"Sometimes." Tymber grumbled. "I come here when I'm lonely or sad. I found this place when I was only about five summers old. All of the younglings were playing by the pond, and Neolyn pushed me into the water." She remembered getting up, covered in mud from head to toe. Her new summer hat sunk into the water and when she pulled it up it was covered in green slime. She started to cry, and all of the children laughed at her. Tymber ran into the forest and made friends with an orphan fox who was denned in the hole. She stayed there until the next day, and then went home and was punished by Berta for ruining her hat.
Where is the fox now? Staar questioned. I knew I smelled him.
"Fox?" Tymber asked. She had thought about the fox, she didn't tell him though.
I saw a fox in your mind. Just a pup. You held him and cared for him. Where is he now?
"You saw that!?" Tymber cried out, amazed. "You can see with MY eyes! I knew that spirit bonds had powers, but I've never heard of this!"
You didn't answer my question.
"Oh, I took care of him until he grew up and then he left and I never saw him again. I suppose he'd found a mate and went to have a family." Tymber could barely breathe. "This is amazing! I wonder if this is our power?"
Our power?
"Every spirit bond is supposed to share a power that the person uses."
Just the person?
"Hmm, I suppose you're right; you were the one who saw it, so maybe it's your power. Or maybe I'm projecting images to you."
And feelings.
"I project feelings to you?" Tymber was completely aghast.
You are happy.
"Of course I am, I've just discovered my power! Now whenever I need help, I don't need to scream because you'll be able to sense it!"
I don't know that. Staar said, I don't know how far away I'll be able to sense you.

For the rest of the morning, Tymber and Staar practiced projecting images from distances. Tymber soon discovered that if she tried hard enough, she could see the images Staar projected. She saw the hunt; and felt the thrill and excitement of the chase. Saw packmates, bold and regal. She went along with him as he chased a snowshoe harein the winter, and caught the spawning fish that jumped atleast a foot out of the water in the spring. Nothing was as fun as this, and nothing could have brought her closer to her spirit bond.
Tymber never realized how long she'd been out there until she heard her name being called. The shiver of anxiety called Staar over and they stood in silence as the search party approached them.

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Chapter 2

I'm going to be beaten for this, thought Tymber. She imagined what they would do to her first. Maybe she'd get the belt. If she was very bad, they'd give her the ride. She remembered back when she was younger. Neolyn had let all the hounds off their tethers in the winter. The best of the hounds and then some ran onto the lake and fell through the ice, losing the tribe what help they had of finding food in the winter. They only had a few dogs left, and not enough to find food. After the winter supply ran out, the tribe almost starved and two young children were lost. Neolyn blamed the whole thing on Bron. Bron got the ride; they strapped him to the back of a horse and then dragged him all through the village and neighboring forest. Tymber shuddered when she thought of the scars all over his body; the limp in his leg; his terrible posture and the crippling pain he will forever endure. She started to shake. Staar licked her hand and growled at the approaching crowd.
"Tymber." The bulky man said in a low grumbling voice. It was the butcher.
Maybe they planned to chop her into little pieces! What pain would they make her endure?! Tymber could barely stand it. "Y-yes.." Tymber replied shakily.
"Presta the Elder would like to see you." The butcher said in his scary voice. The crowd looked at eachother and smiled slyly.
Presta the Elder! She never calls on anyone! Presta was the oldest of the Elders, and the wisest. She never left her tent and no one but her granddaughter was allowed in to tend to her. Tymber tensed as the people pushed her through the crowd and to the front. Staar snarled and curved his body so he was between Tymber and the crowd. People tensed and moved back. Staar trotted alongside Tymber the rest of the way. Tymber was happy to have his presence, but was terrified that she would lose him forever. Presta the Elder...It was all so much. Why would the old one want to talk to her? She must have done something very bad. She remembered the looks on the faces of everyone the night before. Maybe it was because she had gone to the festival. But she wasn't just going to stand by and let everyone think she'd taken longer than she actually had. She wanted to let them know that she was there with her spirit bond. And now she'll pay the price. Presta the Elder will surely be angry that Tymber disobeyed the ancient custom and condemn her to death. And after all she'd been through; finally getting her spirit bond, and only having him for a day, and now she'll die and leave him behind forever. And then Staar may die too. It is rare that anyone, man or animal, survives the death of his bond. Tymber felt Staar's anxiousness. He must have felt Tymber's fear and maybe even seen the images of death and childhood memories floating through Tymber's head.
They made it to the village. People stood around in silence. All of them stared at Tymber warily. Mothers put their arms around their children and made as if to shoo them into their tents, but couldn't help but look at the girl and her wolf walking along to the middle of the village.
"Oy! Looky what you're in for now, sister!" Tymber looked up and saw Neolyn astride a horse with her spirit bond at it's hooves. "Always knew you were a trouble maker! Oh well. Guess there's only room for one brat in a family."
"Glad it's you and not me." Tymber said quietly.
"Why you little...I oughta..." Neolyn got off her horse and with a confident stride, marched over to Tymber. If it wasn't for Tymber being pushed into Presta's tent, she might have met Neolyn's fist.
I would have stopped her, Staar told her.
"I'm sure you would have." Tymber said dizzily. She focused her eyes and saw herself sprawled out on a soft bear hide inside Presta's spacious tent. She quickly and clumsily gathered herself up and knelt in front of the Elder who sat on the other side of her small table.
"Stand up." The Elder's voice was surprisingly loud. Tymber stood up straight. "You aren't very tall. How tall are you?"
"Five and four, Elder."
"That tall?" Her eyes widened. "You don't look it." She motioned with her hand for Tymber to turn sideways. "Lift up your shirt." Tymber lifted her shirt up to her ribs. "You are very thin. Does not your family feed you?"
Tymber nodded. "S-s-sometimes m'Elder. Sometimes there isn't enough food and it is given to my sister."
"Your sister is Neolyn Infer?" Presta asked.
Tymber nodded and recognized the word "infer;" the last name given to a child who's parentage isn't known. In Tymber's and Neolyn's case, their father. "That is right Elder."
"I see." She looked puzzled for a moment. "Why do they not feed you and let her go hungry instead?"
Tymber thought a moment. "I suppose because she is bigger than me, and stronger."
"I know many things about this tribe, and I know that Neolyn Infer does not put in her share of work a pinch as much as you do. Not only that, but she is a trouble maker and deserves what may come to her." She turned around and dug through a bag. She pulled out some bark and wrote something on it with a quill and some reed ink. "Give this to your caretaker Berta." Presta handed Tymber the bark. Tymber stood there, waiting. "Well go child!"
Tymber put the bark in her pocket and she and Staar left the tent. She looked up and her eye met Neolyn's fist.

Tymber woke up in her tent. She was laying in her bed and her eye hurt something terrible. She looked over and saw Neolyn sprawled in her blankets, being tended by Berta and some other women. One of the women looked at Tymber. "Well, it's fine enough that you're up to see what your evil mongrel has done to your sister." Neolyn moaned as if for effect. "Oh hush dearie;" the woman cooed, '' you'll be up and around again soon. Poor dear." She shook her head.
Berta's eyes slitted. "And as for you, you will care for your sister. You will do anything she tells you to do. After all, it is your fault."
"What happened to my eye?" Tymber asked, rubbing it.
"Your eye!" Another woman gasped. "Why your sister is mauled by a discusting mutt, and all you can think about is yourself!"
"You deserve that for all you're worth." Berta said angrily. "Too bad it wasn't you who was ripped to shreds, then maybe we could have got some work done around here."
Tymber yawned. She was so tired and her head hurt that she couldn't think properly. "Well, I suppose if you call what she does 'work.' "
"Why you little bitch!" Berta screamed. "How can you look so much like your mother when you act nothing like her at all?! Nothing! Go right this minute and scrub down every inch of Neolyn's new mount."
"Mount?" Tymber asked.
"That's right! She found her spirit bond first, and she got the prize! That horse is The Red's foal, bred last spring. Still young, and full of heart, and suitable for a leader. Not a little beggar brat like you!" Berta screamed, exasperrated. "When your sister wakes up, you will tend to her every need. And the needs of Cerber."
"Cerber?" Tymber inquired.
"Oh, for the Gods' sakes, will you stop asking questions?!" Berta yelled. "Neolyn's spirit bond, the mountain lion!"
As if for effect, the large cat prowled through the open tent door. It was the first time Tymber noticed Staar beside her. His lips curled up and he started to growl. Cerber crouched low and his ears went back as he hissed. He slunk over to where Neolyn lay.
"Get out! Now!"
Tymber pulled her hand away from her eye and propped her body up. The women all watched her as she left the tent and Neolyn opened her eyes and smiled wickedly at her.
The horse was tied to a tree outside. He was still tacked. Tymber wondered how long he'd been left in such a state. She felt the wet under the leather and decided it was time to give him a cool rinse. Staar quietly followed her in mock anticipation for what was to come. They came to the creek in the forest where the the horses were commonly brought over to drink and rest. It was bare, and probably unused for some time, as horses were a rarity among the tribe. No one there had fair training experience, and the horses were often terrible behaved. When they got too saucy for anyone to handle, they were sometimes sold to passing travelers or otherwise beaten, slaughtered, or tied to starve; for punishment. Tymber wondered how this horse had made it so far. Already over a year old. Not a gelding either. He must be a calm one. He wickered as she pulled off his tack.
What do we do with him now? Staar asked.
"We let him drink and cool off." Tymber answered.
Why?
"He's thirsty and terribly overheated." Tymber replied. She noticed Staar kept quiet, but seemed dissappointed that he'd now have to work for his dinner.
You forgot something. Staar said.
"Did I?"
Yes. The bark that the old one gave you.
"Oh my, Presta's note! And here I'd forgotten all about it.." She pulled the bark out of her pocket and looked at the blotched ink. Pushing her blonde hair back, she made out the words.
She was the only woman in the tribe who knew how to read, aside from the Elders. Her friend Race had insisted that she learn. She missed Race. She remembered when the Elders decided it was time for him to leave. Nobody knew why. Maybe he'll come back one day. I can show him how well I read now. Tymber thought.
It was difficult to read the ink because it had spread and was smudged because it didn't have time to dry. She read it aloud:

"For the next week, Tymber Infer will get Neolyn Infer's share of food. She will rest and Neolyn will take over all of Tymber's chores. Tymber will be given the stallion, and will participate in her schooling on the after morrow."

Tymber could barely believe her eyes. "He's mine!" She said, "And I start schooling the day after tomorrow! That's before all of the other girls! I wonder why they would put me in class before the other girls." Tymber wondered a moment. "I'll be in class alone? Wait. Hmm that's odd."
She gives you this beast? It is very kind of her. Staar said.
"But how do I thank her?" Tymber asked. "We are not able to go to her unless she calls for us."
Who cares for her? Staar asked.
"Her granddaughter. I suppose I can get her to thank Elder Presta."
Give her a gift. A fine deer or elk, maybe. Staar suggested.
Tymber laughed. "That may be your gift. I'm going to give her something even more special."
More special than food? Food is for living. Nothing is more special than life. Staar countered.
"True, but tis an odd gift for me to give her. Not so odd for a wolf, mind you. Remember that these classes I will be taking are for your sake as well. She deserves a gift from you." Tymber replied.
You are right. Staar said. I will give her the good gift, and you may do as you choose.
Tymber laughed. "Alright." she said. "But right now, I have to clean up my horse."
When she cleaned the stallion appropriatly, she took him back to the village and decided that she would clean his tack so he gleamed when she told everyone that he belonged to her. Then, after telling Berta that Neolyn was to do her chores, Tymber would go and find a gift for Presta.
Tymber grabbed one of the rags that was hanging on the line beside her tent. She dipped it in the soapy water bucket a ways away, wrung out the rag, and then polished the tack until it shined. Neolyn had made an awful mess of it.
"Tymber!" Berta called for her. "Where have you been! It is past dinner and we needed you to peel the potatoes. Neolyn had to use her hurt arm peeling away at all of those things. You put her through torture on purpose!"
"I have been cleaning my horse, like you said." Tymber said, slyly adding the "my." Oh Berta would be raging!
"What do you mean your horse! Oh, never mind, you're obviously just jealous. Now get in the tent and tend to your sister. She's running a fever. Your stupid bond probably gave her some disease."
"I don't have to do anything for that brat. Presta gave me a note." Tymber said happily.
"Note! Why a foraged note, no doubt! You have an awful imagination, girl." Berta critisized.
"I do not lie! See for yourself!" Tymber handed Berta the bark. She watched Berta's face sag.
"This can't be real." she said.
"But you wouldn't risk it, would you? You know how angry Elder Presta would be if you disobeyed her." Tymber said.
"Fine. But I will speak to the grandchild about this, you hear! I will know if you lie to me, and if you do, then you will pay! I'll give you another round of the belt."
Tymber winced at the thought of the leather strap coming down on her bare skin. "Yes caretaker." Tymber said through her teeth. She looked down at Staar. He was concentrating on a butterfly that flew around his nose. "Come on Staar. I need to find a gift for Presta."
Fine, but then we will get my gift.
Tymber mounted the horse and they went into the forest. She knew that it would be hard to find anything. After all, the people in the village didn't have anything much, and definatly not anything they'd be willing to give to her. The forest didn't have anything very special either. Tymber was hoping to get ahold of something like an odd shaped rock, or some pretty flowers. But she knew the real place to get things was outside these parts. But it was forbidden. No one in the tribe was allowed to go outside of the village and the surroudning forest. It would mean an astounding punishment. But Tymber was eternally grateful to Presta, and it clouded her judgement.
She turned her black mount into the direction of the road. After a long time of riding, she saw many people. This must be a marketplace, Tymber thought. It was so loud and Tymber's untrained ears were in pain from all the noise.
They look like a flock of quails. Staar said, behind her.
Tymber nodded in agreement. People were scurrying about everywhere. Nobody even turned and looked at her. There were several other horses. Tymber didn't wear the same style of clothing, but she supposed that she blended in fairly well. However, she noticed the shortage of spirit bonds. She started moving into the housed part of this town. She noticed that some houses had dogs, and there were several chickens running around, but where the people's spirit bonds?
Staar sensed what Tymber was thinking about. Maybe these people don't have spirit bonds.
"Not have a spirit bond?" Tymber replied, astounded.
Why not? Staar asked.
Tymber couldn't think of a reason. She got off of the horse and led him back to the market. "I'm going to pick out a gift now." she explained. She walked up to one stand, where a man had jewelry laid out. "Wow," Tymber looked down at Staar and told him, I bet you that Presta would love something like this!" She looked back up and noticed the man looked at her with an odd look. Tymber shrugged it away and went back to looking. She saw the most beautiful necklace. It was a shiny white but changed colours when you looked at it in different perspectives. It was made of perfectly round beads. Tymber wondered how they carved the rocks so perfectly. "Excuse me," Tymber said to the man, "but may I have this one?" She pointed to the necklace.
"Sure little lady." the man replied. "That will be five golds."
Tymber looked surprised. "Golds?"
"That's right." the man replied. "You either got it or you don't."
Tymber looked at the ground. "I don't." she said.
"You look too young to have that kind of wealth anyways." the man said. "How much do you really want this necklace?" he asked.
"Very much so." Tymber replied, her eyes starting to brim with tears.
"I say now, don't cry." the man said. "I'll make ye a deal."
Tymber's eyes sparkled with excitement. "I'll do anything!" she said.
"I'm going away for the week and need someone to help tend to my stables and animals. I have a stable hand already, but it's hard being just one person and looking after the beasts. So if you show up every morning fore dawn and help until noon, and my stable hand tells me that you're doing a swell job, I'll give ye the necklace."
Tymber thought for a moment. She remembered that classes don't start in the morning for another month, when she goes into her cooking class. She'd have time to do this. It would be hard to get away without anyone noticing her but it'd be worth the risk. She needed to pay Presta back for what she did. "I'll do it." she told the man.
"Good!" he said joyfully. "Now, just so I can get to know you better, why don't you join my family and I for dinner?"
"I'd be grateful." Tymber said, feeling her hungry stomach growl. She watched as he put all of his treasures into a bag.
"Now let's get on going." he said when done. "I live only around the corner." Tymber took a good look at him. He was bald, but had some white hair at the sides. He didn't look old, however. He was overweight, but it suited him. He looked jolly, with his full rosy cheeks. "My name is Potter." the man told her.
"My name is Tymber." she replied.
"Do you live around here, Tymber?"
"No." Tymber said. She didn't know whether or not to reveal where she truly lived. "I live outside this place. Not in a town. Just in the forest."
"Must be lonely." he said.
Tymber nodded her agreement. "I don't have any friends," she told him shyly. Staar nipped her hand. "Except Staar."
This was the first time Potter noticed the wolf. "Holy! Is he a mountain breed, or a hybrid?"
"Neither," Tymber said proudly. "He's a wolf."
"Full blood?" At Tymber's nod, he went on. "Better be careful with him around here. There's a bounty. All of the mountian breeds or hybrids are supposed to wear a collar or something that will make them stand out."
Tymber looked down at Staar and examined his expression. What? You expect me to wear a collar? he asked. Tymber nodded. Oh for the love of... Staar grumbled.
"I'll keep that in mind." Tymber said.
"Nice horse you got there too." Potter metnioned. "Got a fine build. I reckon you'd get alot if you'd stud him. I might even ask you one day, once I find out what his temperment's like. What do you call him?"
"I haven't named him yet. I only got him today."
"Where did you buy him from?"
"He was a gift. We don't buy things where I come from. Things are given as gifts only. On occasion some things will be sold to passing travelers, but only in return for other goods." Tymber explained.
"Well, he's a fine lad if I ever did see one. Here's my house." he motioned to a small and homely cottage near a very large field. Tymber loved the work that the houses seemed to be built with. She'd never even seen a house before, she she'd grown up around nothing but tents.
"It's a very nice house." Tymber told him.
"It's modest enough." Potter said. "Let's put yer horse and wolf into the stable out back." They walked into the field and he helped her untack the horse and put him in the stall. Tymber reminded Staar to behave and they went back to the front of the house. Potter opened the front door and two small children each grabbed hold of a leg. Tymber was shocked at how these children behaved. In the tribe, the children must kneel and bow their heads when their father comes home. They'd never scream like these two. What shocked her even more was Potter's reaction to it all. He bent down and hugged them both, and then threw them both over his shoulders as they squealed with delight. "This way!" he screamed back at Tymber. She followed him into the kitchen. The house smelled so good inside, and she finally caught where the scent was coming from. There, laid on the table, was a huge feast. Turkey and potatoes and corn and everything else laid out in a beautiful arrangement.
Potter hugged his wife who had walked in through another way, and she kissed his cheek. "Did you sell anything?"
"Sold a necklace and two rings. Ye know, Kereb is marrying that Sally girl."
"No, why she's only just turned fourteen!" his wife replied.
"Well, he told me straight out that --"
"Why Potter, who's this?" the wife interrupted him and finally saw Tymber.
"She's the girl who's going to help Daire tend to the work while I'm gone." Potter answered.
The wife sized Tymber up. "She's awfully small," she said, "but she looks determined. How old are you girl?"
"I'm sixteen m'am." Tymber said shyly.
"Sixteen. Daire is twenty. You don't think they will..."distract"...eachother the entire time, do you?"
"Martha, for Heaven's sake! Daire is a trustful fellow, and Tymber here is, I'm sure, a hard worker. They'll be too busy to frolick around like deer."
"You better hope so." Martha replied. Then she smiled sweetly. "Tymber dear, come join us for dinner."
Tymber slid into the seat she was offered.

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Chapter 3

When Tymber got home, she was so full she felt like she would explode.
Martha wasn't as critical as she thought. She was actually a very sweet woman. She once helped train the horses until an accident left her leg paralyzed. Now she wasn't able to do the things she once did to help out around the farm. She walked with a crane that Potter made just for her. The two monsters didn't turn out to be monsters at all, but two very inquisitive little girls. They asked so much of Tymber that she barely had enough room to answer them. Sera and Peewee they were called. Peewee assured her that her real name was Pesima, but that her sister couldn't pronounce it right when she was younger. She called her "Peewee" and the name stuck. They were both very adorable, and even though Sera had dark hair and eyes and Peewee had light hair and eyes, they looked very much alike.
It turned out that while Tymber would be working there, all she really had to do was clean the stables and the horses. Potter said that she could assist Daire in training and exercising them and see how she was at it. She already knew that she'd have to get used to riding. When she stepped off her horse, her knees buckled and she'd have fallen if she wasn't hanging on to the saddle. Her legs hurt something terrible.
She untacked the horse and let him into the tiny corral. Soon she would want to name him.
His name is Seabring. Staar told her.
"How do you know?" Tymber asked.
I don't know. Staar bluntly replied.
"Alright." Tymber said. "Seabring it is." But she felt Staar's puzzlement afterwards. How had he known the horse's name?
It is late. Let's find my gift for Presta tomorrow. Staar yawned
"Yes, that'd be better." Tymber said as she poured some oats into a bucket for Seabring. Potter had been kind enough to give Tymber a whole bag of oats and even gave her permission to have more if she ran out. She patted Seabring's neck as he bent it down to eat from the bucket. "Do you think school will be fun?" Tymber asked.
What do you do in school? Staar asked.
"You learn things." Tymber answered. "The girls get to learn cooking and sewing, and the boys learn, horsemanship (but only if they show great skill since there aren't many horses), fighting, reading, and writing. And everyone learns how to communicate with their spirit bond and work with their powers properly."
It sounds better to be a male. Staar observed.
"I know." Tymber replied sadly. "They have so much more to learn. That's why they start so much earlier than girls. And I'm starting tomorrow; the day the boys do. I still don't understand why."
Maybe you learn with the males tomorrow. Staar suggested.
"That's absurd! Why would they put me in class with a bunch of childish boys?" Tymber asked.
Maybe, Staar said with humor in his voice, you are a boy.
"Staar!" Tymber said, laughing, "You are evil!"
Rowr! Staar pretended to snarl and leaped, nipping Tymber's arm. He ran in circles, panting.
"Why you crazy mutt, you!" Tymber laughed, chasing Staar through the camp. By now, everyone was in bed, and Tymber was laughing so hard that she could see that people were starting to light their lamps. Tymber keeled over and smothered her laughter.
Evil am I! Ha! Look at you, waking the people up! Who's evil now! Aha! Staar ran around in mock satisfaction.
"Alright, alright," Tymber whipsered laughing, "let's go to sleep now."
Where do we sleep this fine night? Staar asked.
"I don't want to go back into the tent." Tymber replied. "Let's go to our secret spot." she whispered.
Ah, the secret spot! Staar said. He ran into the woods and Tymber followed him at a much slower pace.
When Tymber got to the tree, Staar was already curled up inside the large hole in the ground. She climbed in and snuggled up beside him.
Tomorrow will be good. Staar said.
"Yes." Tymber replied. "Good."

Tymber awoke to Staar nuzzling her face with his cold nose. She stretched as far as she could in the cramped space. It it time to go! Staar said excitedly. The sun will be up soon!
"Oh my goodness," Tymber said, "I forgot! Let's go." She brushed the dirt off her breeches when she got out and then ran for the corral. She tacked Seabring up and then remembered what Potter had said about wolves.
No. Staar said.
"What?" Tymber asked, smiling slyly. "I didn't say anything."
You didn't need to. I saw the image in your mind. I am not wearing anything around my neck. Staar said, obstinatly.
"You know you must." Tymber said. "What if someone mistakes you as a wolf?"
Then they wouldn't be mistaken, would they?
"Staar, come on. It's only while we are in town. You don't want to be shot dead, do you?" Tymber pleaded.
Fine. But this means that you can't ignore me all day. If this collar is going to make me noticable, it might as well be you who notices me. You aren't going to keep me locked up in the stables all day like lastnight. Staar said, stubbornly.
"Oh alright." Tymber laughed. She quietly walked up to the clothesline beside her tent. She pulled off a red rag and tied it around Staar's neck. "Let's go." she said. She mounted Seabring, and they were off.

Tymber realized that Staar had exaggerated when he said that sunrise would almost be there. It was black as night. She sighed. Wolves can't comprehend time past the next hunt and mating season. Atleast she was able to take her time on the way there.
Tell me about Sunn and Staar. Staar told her.
"What?" Tymber asked, surprised.
On the day we met you said there was a story called Sunn and Staar. I want to hear about it. Staar explained.
"Okay. Hum. Where do I start..."
The beginning.
Tymber laughed.
"Hundreds of years ago, there was a girl named Sunn. She and her spirit bond, a jackal named Staar, were assigned to guard the tribe. Back then, women were able to do the things only men can do nowadays. They were watching the camp when suddenly, Vansons, the demons of the forest, came upon them and tried to kill everyone in the camp. Using her fire power, Sunn blasted all of the demons away! But her powers were never that strong, and she couldn't control her fire. Staar was killed. There has never been a jackal in these parts since, and they say to see one is bad luck. The Vansons have never been seen again, but they say that when the time is right, they will once again be awaken to take revenge."
This is true? Staar asked.
"I suppose so." Tymber answered.
Staar nodded silently and ran ahead of Tymber to lead her into the city. Seabring trotted to keep up. Tymber laughed at the insane contrast of the red rag on Staar's black fur.
Look at me! shouted Staar. I'm a dog! A mountain breed! He frolicked in the field that led into the town. Tymber laughed.
She stopped Seabring in front of Potter's field, and opened the gate. She walked him into the stables and heard a glorious sound. After putting him into the stall, she found herself wandering toward that intoxicating noise. She saw, in the very last stall, a young man, playing on a magnificent instrument. He looked up at her and stopped. "Oh, don't stop." she pleaded. "It was lovely."
He smiled at her. "I suppose it's time I get on to work anyways." he said. "My name is Daire." He stood up and brushed himself off.
"I'm Tymber."
Daire looked her up and down. His eyes held a moment at her clothing. Tymber had realized that she didn't wear the same odd things that the women here did. "You look strong enough to help me train." Diare observed. "It can be tough dealing with the young ones. But it has to be done. Potter has high hopes for two of his young stallions, but he finds them too unruly to be bred. Too high-strung."
"What's the hard part?" Tymber asked.
"Breaking them without breaking their spirit." Daire answered. "And not getting hurt in the process." he winked. "I think you'll do fine. Just fine."

Tymber couldn't believe she'd agreed to this. She was riding atop a stallion that was running in circles. Daire had the horse on a lead stood in the middle of the corral. Tymber wasn't used to riding horses; her legs still felt horrible and her backside was getting increasingly sore. But she wanted that necklace to give to Presta more than anything.
She had worked out the calculations. If she rode home just after noon, she'd make it in time for lessons. She remembered that she had to patiently wait in line at Elder Greta's tent while Greta handed out the assigned classes. Tymber was curious as to what classes she would get. She might be the only girl to start a month early. Imagine what her classes could be!
She was daydreaming so much she didn't hear Daire calling to her. "Tymber! Tymber! Pull back on the rains now!"
Tymber pulled and the horse reared. She clutched the horse's mane and let out a silent scream. The horse thrashed and Tymber almost fell. Instead, she slid herself off the saddle and watched the horse run after Daire. He dodged the stallion, and ran for the fence. He leapt over just in time. Tymber soon realized that she had to do the same. The stallion ran up to her. She jumped over the fence and landed flat on her bottom. "Oooh..." She twisted around and rubbed her aching backside.
"What happened in there!" Daire yelled, approaching her. "You weren't listening to me. I had to repeat your name several times, and by the end you didn't know what to do and yanked on Strawberry's reigns! I swear, I almost had a heart attack. You were supposed to give a gentle tug, not bloody pull his teeth out!"
"I-- I - I'm sorry." Tymber said. "I- I was daydreaming; it was all my fault. I'm so stupid!" she cried, pounding her head with her palm. "I'm just stupid."
Daire sighed. "You aren't stupid. And I'm sorry I yelled at you. I was just surprised, that's all. You did very well out there until -- well, you know." He extended his hand and helped Tymber up.
She sniffled, quickly wiped an eye, and smiled sweetly.
"I'll try and train the horses on my own. I'll let you clean out the stables." He waited until she nodded, and then took her into the stables. Tymber listend carefully as Daire explained what to do. It was fairly simple. She had to dump the maneur into the pile behind the last stall. Then she'd scrub down the stall sides, replace the hay and oats and let the horse back into the stall. Daire said that he would finish training the horses when they began to tire and then return to help Tymber.
It was harder than Tymber thought. Her back was aching and the pike was heavy as she replaced the old hay. The horses were more skiddish than she thought. They'd try and run away as she switched them stalls.
Suddenly Staar appeared into the stables. Hello sister. he said.
"Where have you been?" Tymber inquired.
I walked around the land. You know this man has odd beasts. They have horns and smell rotten.
"Cattle." Tymber told him.
Whatever you say. I bet they taste better than they smell. Can I eat one?
"No." Tymber said sternly. "If Potter finds out, he'll kill you."
Fine, fine. Need any help? Staar asked.
"It would be nice, but I'm afraid you may spook the horses. They are afraid as it is." Tymber sighed.
I see. said Staar. Well, I guess I'll just lie down right here. He plopped himself beside the pile of maneur.
Tymber cringed. "How can you stand the smell?" she asked.
It may smell discusting to you, Staar explained, but it is merely interesting to me.
"Uggh." Tymber groaned. She moved on to the next stall.
When she was almost finished all of the stalls, Daire walked into the stable entrance. He looked tired and sweaty. "Those two really beat me up." Daire told Tymber. "I didn't think they'd last that long." He looked down. "I was wrong."
Tymber giggled. "I'm almost done here."
"Good. Good. I'm looking forward to a nice warm bath. You know, Potter has plenty water in the well, and he always lets me have a warm bath. I'm sure that we can find an extra tub around here somewhere, and if we heat up the water now..."
"Yes!" Tymber said. "You have no idea how much I would love a clean bath. Where I live, it's impossible to have a clean bath. I always get shoved in the tub last, and by then the water is filthy."
"Where do you live?" Daire asked as he scrubbed the dirty wall.
"I- I live outside here. In the forest." Tymber answered.
"In the forest?" Daire exclaimed. "I mean, not to offend you, but why would anyone want to live out there?"
"I'm not too sure. I guess my people just like to be with nature." Tymber answered uncertainly.
"Well, when you put it that way, I guess it would be a nice place to be." Daire looked off. "Falling asleep to the rush of the creek; waking up to the chirping of birds."
Tymber looked down. "Sometimes when I'm there I wish I'd never wake up. Just sleeping forever would be nice."
Daire looked concerned. " Why's that?" he asked.
"There are other things out there than nature."

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Chapter 4

After Tymber had a nice warm bath in a big tub, she rode off on Seabring's back. When she got to the end of the road, she waved at Daire, and watched him wave back. She had forgiven him for his earlier outburst, and was really beginning to like him. There was more to him than those sky blue eyes.
I want to go hunting. Staar said. That way I can present my gift to Presta today.
"You go ahead." Tymber said. "School will start soon." Tymber reached down and pulled off Staar's red collar.
Ah, he said, a mountain breed for half a day, and a wolf for the other! Cheers sister! He ran into the distance. We are pack forever!
Tymber shook her head and smiled.
She was entering the forest now. She quietly put Seabring into the small corral, untakced him, and then walked into the village.
"Where have you been?" Neolyn stood in front of Tymber, blocking her way.
"I was riding." Tymber answered through her teeth.
"Riding!" Neolyn scoffed. "Where were you..'riding'?"
"Why does it matter? Seabring needed exersise so I rode him."
"Seabring?!" Neolyn laughed, "Oh for pity' sake, what a terrible name. Anyway, Staar is a terrible name too. Where is that mongrel anyway?" she asked, looking around.
"He isn't a mongrel!" Tymber's blue eyes flashed with anger. "He's a wolf, and you're just jealous!" Tymber looked at Neolyn's arm. It was covered with dry blood and gashes from where Staar had attacked her.
"You know what the people are saying about you?" Neolyn asked. She shoved Tymber when Tymber tried to push past her. "They're saying that there's never been anyone with a wolf spirit bond before. Nobody knows what that means. But I know it means your just a freak." Neolyn pushed past Tymber.
Tymber watched Neolyn walk away and wiped her tears. "I'm not a freak." she whispered. She heard a bell ring. She knew what that meant. She walked into the line that was in front of the Elders' main tent. She saw only boys in front of her, and when she looked behind, she, again, saw only boys. What if Presta had gotten confused, and sent her on the wrong day?! No, Presta is much too clever to make such a mistake. So, she waited in line, and finally she was at the front. She looked around and people were staring at her. Tymber was the only girl in the whole line. Her face reddened.
"Tymber." The Elder at the front said.
Tymber bent down and bowed her head. " Yes Elder." she replied.
"Here." the Elder handed Tymber a large leaf. "This displays the classes you will be taking. Take fortune, child."
Tymber took the leaf from her hands and was surprised to see the Elder wink at her. She smiled and said "Thank you, Elder."
When she had gotten away fom the lineup, Tymber looked down at the leaf. She couldn't believe her eyes! Boys classes! They had put her in boys classes! Maybe it would be a good thing if all the girls got to be in boy classes, but she would be the only girl! Tymber almost fell over.
Sister! Staar called. He ran up to her. What troubles you? I could feel it from way over there.
"You were right, brother." Tymber replied. "They put me in boy classes. Why would they do that?"
I don't know. Maybe --
"Tymber." Tymber turned around to the sound of her voice and saw Presta's granddaughter. "Tymber, Elder Presta would like to speak with you."
Tymber uneasily walked up to Presta's tent. She pulled back the flap and cleared her throat. The Elder was seated oppisite of Tymber, facing the back of the tent. This was Tymber's chance to look around. She noticed colourful things decorating the tent walls. She saw bottles and pots. Most interesting, a skull that sat on the corner of the short table that was in front of Presta. To Tymber's surprise, the Elder had turned around and was now facing her. Tymber quickly regained a straight face.
"Find my belonings interesting, child?" Presta asked her.
"Um, yes." She felt her eyes trail back to the skull on the table.
"Deer." Presta said. "Do you like deer?"
"I - I suppose I do. I mean, I like the taste of them..."
"Your spirit bond is searching for deer now?"
"Yes." Tymber said uneasily. "But -- how did you know?"
"Tymber, sit." Presta ordered.
Tymber sat down and felt herself sink into the bear fur. She welcomed the softness on her legs. Presta looked down, and then looked into Tymber's eyes. "You know," she said " you don't owe me anything. Neither you nor your spirit bond." Tymber felt her mouth slowly open and she pressed her teeth together so much that her cheeks hurt. "What you are doing is dangerous. The townspeople and our tribe do not find eachother pleasant company. But then, I suppose you don't care what people think of you." Presta spoke. "And if you do, you shall have to learn not to, as I'm sure you realise now." Tymber was confused at the Elder's words. "As you must know now, I have placed you in classes that do not match those of the other women of this tribe. I know you can read the words written on that leaf." She waited for Tymber to nod before she went on. "You are different than others." Presta sighed. "Tymber, you have a wolf as your bond. This is a spectacular thing, as it has never happened before. And I must say, that I have no reason to understand why this has happened to you, so do not ask. I just know that you are someone very special." She waited. "Tymber?"
"Elder..." Tymber whispered. Then she looked into the Elder's eyes. "I have waited my entire life to be different. I've always wanted to be special. And now that it has happened, I'm not sure why, and I'm confused. Why do I take these lessons?"
"You are the catalyst!" Presta shouted, surprising Tymber and making her jump. "You are the one who will change the life for us, for better or for worse!"
"But what does that mean?" Tymber asked quietly, frustrated.
"Nobody knows what it means! I know the best of any of us, and I don't know alot. It is written in the prophecy. Child of the wolf; that is you. You are the catalyst; you will change the lives of all of us!" Tymber looked down, confused. "When you are done your lessons you will leave."
Tymber's eyes shot up. "Leave? Where?"
"You will choose where. There is evil brewing child. Evil that will rid the worlds of our people. There are so few of us already."
"But I don't know where to go, let alone fight --"
"You will learn!" Presta's eyes flashed yellow momentarily. She stammered and fell back.
"Elder!" Tymber rushed to her side.
Presta tried to sit up but couldn't. She looked into Tymber's eyes. "You see child? I felt your power. It brought power back to me; something I have not felt for a long time. Did you see it? Did you feel?" Tymber shook her head. "There are certain things your class will not teach you." Presta told her, her voice weakening. "You will come see me when I call for you. And only when I call." Tymber nodded. "You must go now." She watched Tymber walk past the table and push open the flap. "And Tymber.." Presta called. Tymber looked back. "I give you permission to leave the village." Tymber smiled. "You are special.

"Remember that. You are special."

Tymber heard the shriek of the swiftberry bird, signalling it was noon. She looked through the trees, trying to spot it. Her eyes focused on the blue bird that was positioned on the branch of a pine. She heard the unmistakable shriek that escaped it's throat. They were lucky to have such a bird. It was a great fortune that they could rely on it to tell all of the presence of noon.
She looked at the leaf that showed which lessons she would be attending. First she was to go to weaponry. She found it odd that they started a new class. She remembered that in past years there was no weaponry, as her tribe never felt the need to defend itself. Has that changed? She felt odd standing in the crowd of young men that waited to be instructed. They looked around, sometimes resting their eyes on her for more than a moment. She looked down at herself in her skirts and suddenly felt self-conscious. She searched her mind for Staar and tugged at the link there. She surged queasiness into his mind and she knew he was coming. Their bond was becoming stronger and it felt strangly normal. She felt as though she could carry her life on as though they'd known eachother forever. Maybe a small part of her had known him forever.
Staar approcahed. Little sister, he said, you don't feel right. Perhaps you should rest.
"I can't." Tymber replied. "I have class." She tugged at the black fur on his back. "Please stay with me. Besides, it looks as though everyone else has their bond."
I shall stay with you. Staar said. You know, I had a buck. Right when you called me. He got away.
"I'm truly sorry." Tymber apologized.
You should be. You should have seen him! He was three - no - four times as strong as me! But I could have knocked him down with one --
"Class in beginning!" A male voice sounded in the clearing. Tymber and Staar looked up. It was the butcher. Tymber's stomach reeled. She felt like vomiting.
Hold yourself. Staar reminded her.
Tymber nodded and listened as the butcher went on. "I will be teaching you the art of weaponry. We need to be able to defend ourselves in case of attack. No matter," he said, suddenly looking at Tymber, "whether it is from friend or foe." Tymber looked around and then let her eyes settle on the ground. She didn't listen to the rest of orientation.
She floated through her other classes in a daze. She could remember the cold stare of the butcher when he spoke those last few words. It was as if he was implying that Tymber wasn't to be trusted. She wondered if the entire group saw him look at her that way. The butcher was a cold man. The men in the camp did their own butchering, but there would be times when a man was late and a woman wanted to cook her meal but not get her dress dirty. Or when a woman was gifted with some unskinned meat that needed to be tended properly. They'd go to him. And he'd do what was needed in return for...other..."favours." Tymber kicked the dirt in discust.
I see the things you think of. Staar said. This big man; he is not nice?
"He is evil." Tymber said.
Staar didn't ask why. Instead, he led the way to the corral. Seabring whinnied and trotted the short distance to the gate. Tymber tacked the stallion and they left. It was dark now, so the way to the town was difficult. She couldn't remember which way to go, but Staar remembered. Seabring instinctively followed the wolf. When they got there, Tymber jumped off Seabring's back and walked down the dirt road. She heard the crunch of the pebbles shifting beneath her boots in the quiet stillness of the night. A bird flying low caused her to startle. She shrunk against Seabring's black flank.
Do not fear, little sister. Staar said. Night is only a darker version of day. he said cheerfully.
"And quieter." Tymber reminded him. She looked around slowly at the darkness that had engulfed the town. It seemed a different place. Tymber wondered whether she could find her way to Potter's home. She mounted Seabring and led him down the path that she thought led to Potter's. She turned out to be correct; she was proud that she could find his house in the dark.
Then she heard something.
I hear it too. Staar told her. Infact, wolves have much better hearing than..---
Tymber blanked out the wolf's presense and let his words dissolve into a world of deafness as she focused completely on the beautiful sound. It sounded familiar. It led her right into the barn. Her intense curiosity didn't make her brave. She sat atop Seabring hoping the beautiful music would never end, but didn't dare slide herself from his back. He stepped forward, causing the stiff hay to crunch beneath his hoof. The music stopped. From the loft, Tymber heard a russle, and then she saw Daire's head lift from the shadows. That was the music! She remembered him playing the day she met him.
"Who's there?" A pause. "Tymber?" Daire asked uncertainly, squinting at her sillohuette against the starlight.
"Yes, it's me." Tymber said.
"What are you doing here?" Daire asked.
"I - I just needed to get out. Take a walk. And then I heard your music.." Her voice trailed. "It was lovely."
"Climb atop here. There's the ladder to the left." Daire told her.
Tymber started climbing the ladder. "What are you doing here?" she asked.
"Maybelle, the sheep down there; she's due to give birth any day now. I promised Potter I'd stay close to help her." He moved aside to let Tymber have a comfortable spot. "She's had too many. That blasted ram from the farm over keeps breaking out of his pen and seeking out poor Maybelle. Looks to be twins this time."
"Twins?" Tymber asked.
"Yes." Daire answered. "Not common in sheep. Poor dear will be lucky to make it."
"I am a twin." Tymber told him.
"Are you?" Daire asked, interested. "What is it like?"
Tymber almost laughed at the way he bent over and stared intently at her in curiosity. "It isn't that great. Atleast, my twin isn't." Her voice drifted. "She's very cruel."
"That's too bad. Does she look like you?" Daire asked, looking at her blonde hair and bright blue eyes.
"Not at all. She is larger and has brown hair and dark grey eyes." Tymber explained. Daire mumbled something and fiddled with his instrument.
"Play it again." Tymber said.
"Do you know how to sing?" he asked.
"I don't know. I sing when I'm alone. Unless there is a celebration, singing is forbidden where I'm from." Tymber told him in dismay.
"Is everything forbidden where you are from?" Daire asked, exasperated.
"Well no, we are allowed to -- " Her voice was cut off by the glorious sound of Daire's fingers brushing the instruments strings. She closed her eyes and tried to breathe in the sound, hoping its essence would play in her mind forever.
Daire stopped playing. "I'm going to teach you a song." Daire said.
"I - I -- Alright." Tymber said uneasily.
For the rest of the night, she and Daire practiced singing, and Tymber learned that this amazing instrument was a harp.

Daire realised that his short rest had lasted all morning. He looked over and saw Tymber snuggled in the straw beside him, her head comfortably rested on a bag of grain. He looked over the loft and saw Tymber's horse drinking from a water bucket, and her dog sleeping soundly in the corner of the barn entrance. Then he heard Maybelle wail, and he knew. He turned back and shook Tymber's shoulder. "Tymber. Tymber!" He saw her eyelids flicker. "Maybelle is giving birth! Come!" He climbed down the ladder and watched her silently do the same. When they got to the corner at the back of the barn, thy saw Maybelle lying on the floor breathing hard.
The old sheep wailed again, and Tymber asked, "Is she alright?"
"She'll be okay." Daire told her. He saw the liquid flow out of the sheep in a quick rush. Then two feet emerged. "Oh no. She's breach!" Daire realized. This would be harder than he thought. He ordered Tymber to worry about Maybelle's front end. He admiringly watched her immediatly obey, patting Maybelle's head and talking to her softly. Daire noticed the legs were out farther. He grabbed them and slowly pulled, careful not to hurt Maybelle. The lamb emerged entirely. He told Tymber to wipe it's face off and wipe out it's nostils and the inside of it's mouth. Then, as Daire had predicted, a second lamb began to emerge. But so did blood. Too much blood. This lamb wasn't breach atleast. But it was very large. It came out with much dificulty. When finally it gave, Daire noticed the size and compared it with that of the other lamb. It was almost twice the size. He wiped out the mouth and nostrils and the lamb gave a sharp bray while the other lay quiet, sleeping. "Oh no.." he heard Tymber say softly. He looked at Maybelle and her heaving had stopped. She lay quiet. They had lost her.
Daire knelt and rubbed the bridge of his nose.
When he looked up, tears were streaming down Tymber's face. "I have to go." she said. He tried to talk, but she walked quickly away and mounted Seabring. She noted his tack still on and cursed at herself. "Thank you for teaching me to sing." Tymber called to him. He watched her ride briskly away, that wolfish dog at the lead.

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:19 PM
When Tymber was out of the barn, she led Seabring into a gallop. The wind rushing at her face was cold and it numbed her. It made the tears feel frozen against her cheeks. She lifted her head high and breathed in, the cold air freezing her lungs. Then she bent over and her shoulders shook in a sob. It was like they had told her. They had told her how her birth had been. How she was breach and how her sister has killed her mother. It was a sign; it had to be. She looked down and saw Staar looking up at her.
Sister..? he begged.
She shook her head and looked straight ahead, her vision blurred by tears. She welcomed the impaired vision. Sometimes it was better not to see.
When they got to the village, she rushed Seabring into the corral, not bothering to untack him, and she ran for the other side of the forest. She crawled on the ground and pushed herself into the opening under the tree. There she cried. Staar crawled in, his front legs inching towards her. She moved aside and he quickly crawled in, putting his head on her shoulder. Tymber wrapped her arms around him and dug her face into his shoulder and wept.

When morning came, Tymber didn't feel like going to Potter's. Her muscles ached from sleeping in an odd position, and her tears had dried and chapped her face. If Staar felt her reluctance, he didn't show it as he grabbed on to her skirts and tugged on them.
Let's go! he said.
Tymber crawled out and walked to the corral. She felt guilty for leaving Seabring tacked all night.
He doesn't mind. Staar said.
"How do you know?" Tymber asked dully.
I just know. I don't really understand it. Like when I knew his name. Staar tried to explain.
Tymber didn't reply, she just shrugged it off as wolf craziness and pulled the red rag off the fence and tied it around Staar's neck. Then she got atop Seabring's back. He was as tired as her. He pounded his hoof on the ground in frustration before he started walking.
The sun was already beginning to rise. Tymber knew she would be late.
When she got to the gates to Potter's field, she was beginning to waken and brighten up a bit. But looking at the barn gave her momentary vertigo as she rememberd lastnights event.
Daire met her at the stable entrance. "Tymber." he welcomed.
Tymber smiled and met his eyes for only a moment. She then went on untacking Seabring and giving him a rub-down in the stall.
"I talked to Martha and she'll be at a bake sale all day. She said not to worry about the beasts today, but to watch after Sera and Peewee when they get home from their friend's." He watched Tymber nod in silence. He sighed. "I --" he started. Tymber looked at him. "I gave them to a sheep who stillborned last week. She took them in gratefully. So don't worry for their sake." he spoke really quickly. "You know, the funny thing about sheep, is how they will take in a foreign lamb right away. With horses, you have to rub the foal down with the lost foal's scent and -- and -"
"Can I --" Tymber started. Herface winced a littleand she looked away again.
"Come with me." Daire took her arm and led her to a fenced off part of the field. He pointed to a sheep.
Tymber stared intently but couldn't see the lambs. Then, the sheep got up, and she noticed the two smaller forms follow behind on wobbly legs. Tymber smiled. She looked at Daire and he smiled back. As the sheep got closer, she looked at the two lambs again and her smile faded. The smaller one was white and perfect. The second born was large and stocky with fur black as night.
"Let's go." Daire said. "I brought my harp again."

Tymber and Daire sat in the last stall. Staar's head lay upon Tymber's lap as he listened intently to her voice. The song ended and he raised his head. Very good! he cheered. Howl some more.
"Tymber." Daire said. "Have you ever considered becoming a bard?"
"A bard?" Tymber asked, her face showing her confusion.
Daire looked shocked. "Don't tell me you don't know what a bard is!" He watched Tymber shake her head. "Why they sing for a living, silly! They travel around singing for audiences."
"It sounds interesting." Tymber said. "But I am not accustomed to audiences." She looked down. "I guess I -- I guess I'm shy." She blushed.
"Well, why don't we practice singing in front of people? Sera and Peewee should be here soon."
"Alright." Tymber replied. "But first let's do a song I know."
"Which one?" Daire asked.
"It's called Sunn and Staar." Tymber replied.
This is going to be good; I can tell. Staar said.
"Sunn and Staar?" Daire looked off and squinted. "Can't say I know that one."
"Let me sing it and then you can play from there." Tymber told him.
Tymber was surprised and impressed at how well Daire picked the tune up. He played it wonderfully on his harp. The song had just ended when the two little girls entered the stable. "We heard the music!" Sera said.
"It was lovely." said Peewee. "Can we sing too?"

The rest of the morning they all sang while Daire played his harp.
When it came time to go, Tymber didn't want to leave. But she had to go to class. Her stomach turned over. "Weaponry.." she whispered.
"What?" Daire asked.
"Oh, nothing, I have to go." Tymber answered. "I'll come by tonight if you'll be here."
"Sure, I'll be here." Daire answered, smiling. He watched Tymber ride into the distance on her black stallion's back.

When Tymber got to her village, she put Seabring away and took off Staar's collar.
Are you ready? Staar asked.
No." Tymber answered quietly. "But I'll go."
The swiftberry bird sounded and she knew it was time to go to weaponry. All of the boys stood in a line there and she got in line as well.
Staar lay where the other spirit bonds were, eyeing them in delight while licking his lips. Can't I eat just --
"No." Tymber said. The young man in front of her turned around and stared. Tymber remembered him from the bond search.
"I was talking to my spirit bond." she explained.
"He's the wolf, aye?" the boy asked.
"Yes." she replied.
"Mine is the fox." he smiled. "My name is Garth."
"I'm Tymber."
"I know that." he laughed. "Everyone has been talking about you."
"Everyone?" Tymber blushed. "What do they say about me?"
Garth thought a moment. "They've been saying that you are the only one ever to have a wolf bond." He paused. "I think they are frightened of what they don't know. I think they are frightened of you."
Tymber blushed. "They have no reason to be frightened of me." she said.
"I'll let them know that." Garth smiled.
Tymber returned the smile.
"What are we standing in line here for?" she asked, trying to look pass the crowd of young men.
"Old Butcher Bembry is testing us." Garth answered.
"T-testing?" Tymber inquired with a shaky voice.
"Yes." Garth said, pushing back his sandy blonde hair. "But don't worry; he won't hurt us. This is just a test to see how far along the majority of us are." He pointed. "We're getting close. Can you see?"
Tymber looked again and this time she could see Bembry the butcher. His opponent was too short for her line of vision but it looked as if he was losing. She looked away.
Tymber? Let me fight with you. Staar suggested.
Tymber shook her head. He had to stay. Besides, this wasn't really a fight, was it? It was just a test!
Her turn came closer and closer. Finally it was Garth's turn.
"Wish me luck, Tymber." he told her as he walked over to Bembry and grabbed hold of a long javelin.
"Good luck." Tymber said.
She watched the match start. Both her and Garth were lucky, being two of the last to go. They knew what to expect from observing him.
Bembry took it fairly easy on Garth. The test ended when Garth fell back and the butcher placed the tip of his javelin over Garth's throat. Garth was back on his elbows and his adam's apple bobbed as he tried to breathe. Finally Bembry let him go. Then he turned to Tymber and smiled.
"Let's go!" he said.
Tymber nodded. She went to pick up a javelin but was thrust out of the way by Bembry. She landed hard and cried out. He ran towards her and she rolled over and got up. She was supposed to use the javelin but grabbed what was nearest to her; a sword. The sword was awkward to her uneducated arms. They felt wobbly as she grasped the strength to hold it. She wondered where this sword had come from. Her people had no means of metals. It must have been a trade from someone passing through.
Bembry ran towards her again, this time with his javelin held parellel in his arms. Tymber ducked and it got her shoulder. She fell. Bembry jumped on her and tried to press the sword she was holding against her throat. He laughed under his breath as he pushed her body into the ground. Tymber couldn't breathe.
"Stop..." she pleaded.
He pushed her harder, with all his force. Tymber turned away. She saw a crowd forming. Staar pushed people's legs aside and got through.
Sister! He started to run towards Tymber.
"No..." Tymber choked. I have to do this on my own.
Staar paced like a littlun who needed to pee, but he obeyed her.
Bembry heaved up a bit to let Tymber breathe. He was teasing her! This was all just to get her riled up! As he started to push the flat of her sword towards her face, Tymber got a new idea. If she could send feelings to Staar, why not Bembry? She groped inside her mind and made a link with the butcher. She surged her feelings of helplessness, of lonliness, of the pain that he was causing her; of the discust she felt with what he does, straight into his own mind.
First his eyes widened. Then his mouth opened in a silent scream. He pushed away from her and held his head. And then there were screams. Tymber covered her ears as she watched him shake his head screaming. She awkwardly crawled backward to try and get away from him as far as she could. Then she broke the connection. He stopped screaming and looked at her, accusingly.
"Witch!" he screamed. "What did you do! What did you do?!"
Tymber shook her head, eyes wide open and mouth agape in fear. He moved towards her, eyes squinted and jaw pressed together in anger. She looked away, covering her eyes and opened her mouth to scream when she heard an odd snarl. she looked back and saw Staar with a mouth full of leg. He was growling and tugging.
Now sister? Staar asked.
Tymber quickly shook her head and watched Staar as he chased the butcher through the crowd.
Hahha! He tossed his head in delight, trotting back to Tymber.
She looked around. The entire group was staring at her.
Garth started the cheer. Everyone screamed and whooped and laughed. He walked over and extended his hand, smiling.
"You did better than I did, that's for sure." he said as he pulled her up.
"Yeah." Tymber breathed. "Yeah, I guess I did."
Garth laughed. "I guess lesson ended early today. Want to take a walk?"
"A walk would be great."
He took her arm and they walked through the crowd. Everyone turned and smiled at Tymber, clapping their hands. She blushed and looked down, letting Garth practically drag her.
When they got through, Tymber noticed that he didn't let go of her arm.
"Your spirit bond sure has spunk." he told her.
Tymber laughed. "Yes, I suppose he does."
Spunk? Spunk?! Staar shouted, offended. ... What's spunk?
A red fox trotted up to them.
"How beautiful!" Tymber exclaimed. "What is she called?"
"Her name is Juniper." Garth replied. Then he looked back at her. "How did you know Juni was a 'she'?"
Tymber thought a moment. "I don't know." she said. "I guess because she is thin boned?" she decided.
"She is, isn't she?" Garth smiled proudly.
Spunk isn't a disease, is it? Staar asked. Because if he's saying I have a disease, well then he's out of his right mind!
Tymber looked away, shaking her head in mock exasperation.
"What is your wolf's name?" Garth asked.
"His name is Staar." Tymber answered.
"Like in Sunn and Staar!" Garth exclaimed.
"Yes!" Tymber said. "Do you like that story too?"
"Like it?" Garth's eyes widened. "I love it! I love any story with a good hero in it."
Tymber laughed. "Me too."
Garth started reciting the song. Tymber held her hand down on his mouth.
"No!" she whispered. "You don't want anyone to hear you singing!"
"Am I really that bad?" he asked, grinning.
"You know the rules." she jokingly chastized.
Spunk, spunk, spunk. Staar complained. He looked over at Juni the fox. You wouldn't happen to know what spunk is, would you?
Tymber rolled her eyes at her bond.
They were getting near the corral. She'd have a chance to show off Seabring.
"We're out of hearing range." Garth said. "May I sing for you m'lady?" He bowed.
"Don't risk it!" Tymber laughed.
Garth started singing jibberish in a monotone Tymber could never even hope to accomplish. She had to wrestle her hand over his mouth.
"Stop it!" she yelled, laughing. "Quit it already."
She fell down laughing and Garth did as well.
Oh Garth, Staar mocked, would you be my love forever? Let's go have spunk together!
Tymber gasped. "Staar!" she laughed. "You brat!"
"What did he do?" Garth asked.
"Nothing!" Tymber said, exasperated by Staar's efforts at getting attention. "Nothing at all." She stuck her tongue out at the wolf.
Spunk.. Staar grumbled.

At some point on this walk, Staar had gone off somewhere on his own without telling Tymber. Juni was still following impatiently.
The bell rang and they knew it was time for the next class. Tymber hated that bell. It had a dent in it that made the sound terrible. She remembered when a passing traveler had traded it for an old buckskin.
"Next we have reading and writing." Garth said.
"So we do." Tymber said. She noticed again that he had taken her arm. She must be a convenience; being the only girl in all of the classes. She wasn't sure how to feel about that, but as they walked to the clearing beside her family tent, she remembered what had happened earlier and felt anxious. She had pushed feelings into the butcher's mind -- something she thought she could only do with Staar! It made her wonder just what was possible...

Garth had tried to stay with Tymber when lessons were over, but she pleaded headache and made way to her tent. She watched him leave but decided to wait a few mintues before she left for town, just to be safe. She sat atop her sleeping skins and pulled her feet underneath her. She closed her eyes and breathed in the wild air. Then she saw something. No -- she saw and felt it. It was there; her link with Staar. She followed the link in her mind, tracing its path and feeling the rush of nothingness as she passed through quickly. And she was Staar. Rather, she was seeing what Staar was seeing.
Sister? Staar looked around.
Tymber tried to speak, but wasn't able to. Her mouth groped for speech. S-Staar? And there it was. Not speech, but mind-speech. The same type of words that Staar sound.
Sister, you have made it! You are one with the wolf! Staar exclaimed.
She felt his excitement. It was almost as if the excitement was hers; but she also felt cold. These feelings mixing together made her feel like vomiting.
Why do you feel that way? Staar asked.
She ignored his question and broke free from the link. Something was there. Something wasn't right. She looked closely at the link once more. And saw something interesting. A second link. She touched it for only one second and was pulled in. She looked around. No -- the butcher looked around. He felt her presence. After seeing no one, he scratched his stomach and rested again. He lay in his sleeping skins beside a woman. Tymber didn't want to see who it was. But she didn't break free either. She waited. The butcher turned to look, and his eyes rested on eyes of grey. The eyes broke through the butcher's and stared right into Tymber's. Tymber pulled back and felt the link pop. She stared into the blackness of her mind, and with all of her power, pushed her will onto the link until it diminshed. She felt her mind breathe with the suspension and death of it. Her mind eased and she went back to Staar's link -- and stopped. Something else. It was light; barely there. It was odd though. She tried to break into it but it pushed her away and made her inner self buckle. It was shielded. She saw how it stayed connected to Staar. So she made her way into Staar's mind again. Staar felt her.
Sister? Where did you go before? He asked.
Not now, Tymber mindspoke.
She dug into his mind and reeled at his confused lash. Her mind flew and she dizzied. She pushed harder and stared into his own blackness. There was the tiny link, barely visible. Staar pushed against her with his shields. She pushed harder and grabbed hold of the link. She quickly tugged the link and felt herself flow through the blackness so fast that she saw lights. And she regained her stillness. She looked around. Her vision was impaired. No, she saw through eyes that were set differently than hers. The head moved. It looked around. Tymber saw the flow of black hide as the creature spinned. Seabring!
Who is there? the horse asked.
It's Tymber! Tymber said excitedly.
Tymber? A pause. The wolf thinks of you always. Seabring said.
You were linked to Staar. Tymber said. How?
I felt him. Seabring said. He has a light.
A light? Tymber asked, confused.
I suppose you would not know. You will see one day, maybe.
Tymber felt tired. I'm coming to get you. she said.
I will wait. Seabring assured her.
Tymber pulled away and was in blackness once again. She pushed herself until she opened her eyes and gasped, groping for air. She saw lights. She shook her head and fell back, placing her head on her soft skins. After a time, she felt well enough to get up. She walked outside the tent as Cerber, Neolyn's bond came in. The mountain lion kept her distance, but made a low rumbling yowl. Tymber let felt the cat's fear. She felt it as well as she could feel Staar. She let her mind flow and felt all around her. She could sense everyone's feelings. She could smell the life around her. She smiled and walked away from Cerber.
She approached the corral and Seabring trotted up to the gate.
Tymber. Seabring called. Do we leave?
Tymber felt as though she shouldn't be surprised anymore, but hearing Seabring speak made her jump. She nodded.
Good.
Where's Staar? she mind-spoke, only half-realizing it. If Seabring noticed anything, he didn't say.
He is hunting. His mind is focused on a beast that he will give to Presta. Seabring told her.
Tymber cleared her throat. "I have to leave." she spoke aloud. "I suppose Staar could be angry with me." she considered. "I did barge in without asking."
Let us go without him.
"I suppose we shall." Tymber said in dismay.
When they got to Potters's house, Tymber went out back and opened the gate. She put Seabring into a stall in the stables. She had never bothered to tack him, so she just wiped him down and walked to the barn. Daire wasn't there. Suddenly she felt a presence. She saw a rush of excitement in the blackness of her mind. Hands clasped over her eyes. She gasped and started to struggle. Daire's voice whispered in her ear. "Surprise!" he said, and he stepped in front of her. He held out a harp. "It's for you," he told her.
Tymber didn't know what to say. "M-me?" Her mouth opened and closed again.
"Yes." Daire pushed it into her hands proudly. "It was hard to get. Had to promise the shopkeeper that I'd clean up after ours for a month. But I got it!"
"Oh Daire..."Tymber looked up from the harp. "I've never been given aything before... I--I-"
"You like it?" Daire asked in obvious excitement.
"Yes!" Tymber shouted. She caught herself and whispered, "Yes."
"Good. Because tonight I thought that we could play together."
"You'll teach me?" Tymber inquired, awed.
"Of course!" Daire looked at her oddly. "You've never been taught to do anything, have you?"
"Certainly I have." Tymber replied smugly. "I was taught to sew, and cook, and --"
Daire shook his head, smiled, and took his arm in his hand. "C'mon." he said.
Tymber followed him, confused.

They sat in the field and laughed. She had messed up again. No matter how many times they played the simple tune, Tymber messed up on that one part.
"It's hard!" she complained while laughing. "Stop laughing at me!"
Daire laughed even harder and fell back into the grass. Tymber fell back too. They lay there staring at the sunset. Tymber looked over at Daire. His black hair made a beautiful contrast on the yellow of the dead grass. He looked at her and his blue eyes glowed with sunlight.
"Daire?" Tymber asked.
"Mm." he said, staring back at the sun.
"Where did Potter leave to?" she asked him.
He looked back at her and searched her face. He glanced away, sighed, and looked back. "You won't tell anyone?"
"Of course not." Tymber replied in a worried tone.
"Potter has gotten word that the King is looking for a new stablemaster. He went there, hoping to be hired."
"Why is this secret?" Tymber inquired.
"He was the only one told beforehand that the stablemaster would be fired. A friend of his that works with the King told him so that he'd be the first to speak with the King, and hopefully the one hired."
"Where does the King live?" Tymber asked.
Daire looked away and thought a moment. "In GreyKeep. About a days away." he told her.
"But you're the stablehand." Tymber accused.
"Yes." Daire replied.
"You'll be leaving when he's hired, won't you?"
Daire looked at the sun. "Yes." he said quietly.
"Oh."
They sat in silence for several minutes.
"Come with me." Daire told her.
"What?" Tymber asked, wondring if she heard him right.
"Come with me."
"To GreyKeep?" Tymber's eyes widened.
"Why not? You never act like you enjoy being where you live now. So move. Come with me." Daire persisted.
Tymber looked away and thought. Presta had told her that she had to leave. It didn't matter where she went. But she had to leave. Her decision would turn her tribe for better or for worse. How did she know what this would do to her tribe?
She looked back at Daire and saw the pleading look in his eyes. They mirrored her own sky blue eyes as she pleaded to the Gods that her decision was the right one.
"Alright." she said.
"Alright?" Daire searched her face.
"I'll go with you." she assured him.
He looked away and nodded. "Alright." he said, smiling.
Tymber pushed herself close to him and rested her head on his shoulder. As the sun went down, and the world turned black, her eyes fell and she tumbled into her own world of darkness.

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
And she ran. The black thing chased her, it's animated body flickering and changing. She turned back and pulled the energy from her surroudings. The trees wilted as the force grew strong and she let go, watching the blue power surge into the thing. She struggled for breath as she ran again. More were coming. She didn't have enough power. She didn't know what to do. She ran through the trees and settled behind a bush, panting and gasping for air. She wrapped her arms around her for warmth. She was cold. So cold. Tymber turned and her eyes settled on those of grey. She felt only sadness as the blast came towards her and she knew it was the end.

And she woke. She quickly sat up and put a hand over her heaving chest. She looked behind at Daire's innocent face, softened in sleep. She lay back again. It was a warm night, but she curled close to Daire's body. A noise made her jump. Tymber looked back. Something was moving towards her. Something black. Adrenaline rushed into her body and she prepared to waken Daire and run. But something stopped her. She felt with her mind; felt the living things around her, and quickly identified Staar.
When he got to her he slowed and moved back a little. He flopped on his side and crawled along the ground. When he came to her feet where she had stood, he rolled over and exposed his underparts. Tymber felt the fear inside of him.
I got one, leader. he told her. I finally got one.
Tymber swallowed and tried to keep her calm as she felt ready to cry at the fear she had caused him.
Caught what, dear brother? she mindspoke, softly.
I caught the buck I have been waiting for. He is large. You should see him.
Good for you brother! Quite an accomplishment for only one wolf.
I hope that Presta thinks so. he said.
"Staar..." Tymber said aloud. She looked back as Daire rustled. Staar, I apologize for going into your mind earlier. I should have asked your permission.
Staar avoided her eyes. It is alright, sister. He paused. I felt your happiness, you know. I heard you speak with the beast, Seabring.
Yes. I would never have imagined. Tymber told him.
I felt your happiness again, sometime late.
Yes. We leave with Daire when he goes to be stablehand to the King.
And then --- Staar paused. I am not sure. Almost cold. I felt cold. And frightened. That is really why I came. I saw images in my mind. You ran. I couldn't catch up with you because I was hurt. My leg was injured. And -- and then I saw you -- you -- and her... He drifted.
I know. Tymber said. I saw it too.
She put her arm around him and pulled him close to her.

Her eyes fluttered open when Daire lightly touched her side. She looked up at him.
"Look." he pointed.
Tymber pushed herself up and looked. Before her, on the other side of the fence, were dozens of sheep. She smiled. Then she saw the lambs. She watched them as they chased eachother around. Suddenly the black one lunged out and grabbed the white. They tumbled in the grass and screamed. Daire jumped up and Tymber followed him as he jumped the fence and went to the lambs. She stayed back and watched Daire. He pushed the black off the body of the white. The white quickly recovered and ran. The black didn't move.
"She's dead." Daire said.
Tymber smiled bittersweetly. "Yes. But we still have the white one."
Daire looked at Tymber strangely. "Yes." he said. "Yes, we do."

Tymber helped Daire groom the horses. She put the curry brush back on the shelf. She quickly looked at Daire who was two stalls away from her, then looked back at the horse. She closed her eyes and concentrated. She found this horse's link, and tugged it. The horse shuddered.
What is that? the horse asked.
Tymber grinned with pride. It's me. she said.
The horse looked at her in fascination. I can understand what you say!
Aye. Timber patted his soft velvet nose.
Suddenly a noise made them both jump. Potter had swung open the stable doors. "I'm back early!" he yelled.
Daire went and embraced him. "And?" he asked, excitedly.
"I got the job! I got it!" Potter shouted in happiness.
"You got it? That's marvelous!" Daire yelled back.
Tymber walked out of the stall shyly.
"Tymber!" Potter said. "I got it! I'm the royal stablemaster; can you believe it!"
Tymber grinned. "Yes, I can believe it."
"A celebration!" Daire said. "We must celebrate!"
"Yes!" Potter replied. "I'll get Martha!" He stormed out, yelling Martha's name.
Daire sauntered up to Tymber and grabbed her, lifting her into the air. "We're going to GreyKeep!" he said.
Tymber laughed and put her head back, as Daire swung her, feeling the air flow through her hair. He set her down and said, "Are you going to go home? To say goodbye?"
Tymber thought a moment. "Yes. There is someone I've been meaning to speak with."
"Alright. I assume we leave tomorrow. When will you be back?" he inquired.
"As soon as possible." Tymber pulled away from his grasp and ran to where Seabring was stalled. She jumped on his back and off she rode. She looked down at the empty spot ahead of her. Staar had left during her sleep. Instead of going straight home, she went to Potter's house where he gave her the necklace she'd been promised. Then she went on to the forest.
When she got to the village, she put Seabring in the corral. I'll be back, love. she told him.
I'll be waiting. he replied as she ran off.
"Tymber." Neolyn's voice made her turn. She stood there, looking ever so much taller and stronger than Tymber. Her arm still had not healed. Tymber imagined that Neolyn opened the wound continuously so that it would never heal, giving her everlasting pity. "Where have you been?"
"I go where I please." Tymber said confidently.
"And I suppose you do as your told as well?" Neolyn asked, smiling sweetly.
"What do you mean?" Tymber inquired.
"Berta wants to see you. She wants to know where you've been." Neolyn said sternly.
"Berta can wait. I must see someone." Tymber turned her back and started to go for the middle of the village. She was surprised that Neolyn did nothing to stop her, but went in the direction of their tent. Tymber smelled the food that was cooking and her stomach rumbled. With all that had been going on, she hadn't had much time to eat. She saw the deer over the fire and thought of Staar.
Tymber waited outside of Presta's tent. She busied herself fixing her hair until the tent flap finally lifted. Presta's grand daughter stepped out. "Tymber." she said. She went back in the tent for a moment. She came back out and said, "You may see Elder Presta if you wish."
Tymber thanked her, and stepped inside the tent. Presta sat on the other side of her table, smoking a pipe. The skull was nowhere to be seen, and Tymber wondered what had happened to it.
"The skull was old." Presta said. "I will get a new one, thanks to your Staar."
Tymber wondered how Presta always knew what she was thinking. "Yes." Tymber said. "He wanted to give that deer to you."
"And you have something for me as well?" Presta asked, eyebrows raised. "Let me see it than."
Tymber opened her hands and lay the necklace on the table. "Child..." she drifted. "It's been a long time since I've seen something like this. A long time." She looked into Tymber's eyes deeply for a moment. "Thank you child."
"You are welcome Elder." Tymber smiled.
"You have somewhere to go, no?" Presta asked.
"I do, Elder." Tymber answered.
Presta looked away for a while and then turned back. "It is a good place. This is where you should go."
"And it is alright if I leave as soon as possible?" Tymber asked.
"Yes. It is better. We have little time. Only months. Then it will come." Presta looked into the smoke that she blew.
"It?" Tymber asked, confused.
"I do not know what it is!" Presta yelled, angrily. "But it is coming!" She reached over the table and grabbed Tymber's shoulders. "You must listen to me carefully, child. You are dealing with powers. Evil powers. So evil that your own good may be no use to defeat it." She took a breath. "You are the one. The one with the wolf. You are the wolf child. And no one else. But daughter of a wolf you are not, for he is not a wolf, but a men among men."
Tymber shook her head. Presta was speaking so wildly that she wasn't making any sense.
"You will see. You will see." Presta fell back on her skins. Tymber rushed around the table to the Elder's side and held her hand.
"Elder--"
"Tymber, child..You must find him. He is there. In the prophecy. Find him." Presta whispered hoarsely.
"Find who? Who?!" Tymber cried.
"You must go now. They'll see you here. They'll blame you. Do not trust the cat or the fox." Presta held her hand out, clutching the necklace. It caught on some antlers that lay on the floor. The string snapped and the beads dropped to the ground. The tiny orbs bounced and lay still.
Tymber looked at Presta. The Elder stared ahead blankly. Tymber dropped her hand. She felt the life around her, and didn't feel Presta's essence. She felt cold. So cold. And she ran. She tore open the tent flap and it ripped. She tripped over the opening to the tent. People watched her run and stared. She made it tot the corral. Staar stood there waiting.
Come sister, he said, we must go! Now!
Tymber opened the corral gate and mounted Seabring. She rode out and stopped when she saw Garth. He stood in front of the trees.
"Tymber," he said, "how are you?"
"I'm in a hurry; I must go." Tymber said quickly. She heard shouting coming from the village.
"Why surely whatever happened can be forgiven." he looked over to the village and smiled.
Tymber wan't sure what he meant. "I have to go!" she said.
Seabring twisted and turned. Garth stood in front of the closest opening. He stared into Tymber's eyes. Tymber panted, her breath visible on the air that chilled her and made her face feel frozen.
"Tymber." Garth smiled at her. "Surely you have enough time for me."
"No." Tymber looked both ways, and finally yelled to Seabring, "Go, Seabring, go!"
He kicked off and ran for the trees. Garth jumped out of the way just as soon as Seabrings hooves touched the ground where he stood. Staar followed and then stilled and looked back. Garth stood, staring. His little fox jumped in front of him and sniffed the air ahead. A hand rounded the tree beside him and Neolyn appeared. She stared into Staar's eyes. Staar felt a chill within the deadness of her irises. He turned and ran.

When Tymber got to Potter's house she decided that none of this had happened. She went and said goodbye to Presta, and Presta is still there, alive and well. None of this happened because it wasn't possible. It just wasn't. She had a future with Daire now. There was no prophecy. Nothing she did would help her tribe. She didn't want to give them help. She realised then that her entire life had been spent trying to get away from them; the better part anyway. What did she have now? She had nothing; no identity.
She took a deep breath and stabled herself. She led Seabring into the stall. "Um, there's some grain there." she told him, pointing to a bucket.
"Tymber, that was quick." Daire said, coming into the stable.
"Yes. There wasn't much to say." Tymber said, her voice wavering.
"Are you alright?" Daire asked, concerned. "You look flushed."
"I-I'm okay; just a touch tired." She smiled lightly.
Daire nodded. "We stayed up late. How about some breakfast?"
"Oh, yes!" Tymber replied. "I'm starving." She pulled his arm toward Potter's house.
They went in the back way and into the kitchen. Tymber helped Sera and Peewee set the table while Daire went upstairs. When everything was set up, Martha yelled for the men to come down. Daire sat beside Tymber and took her hand as they thanked the Gods. Tymber lifted her eyelid and looked at Daire. They had stayed up late, and Tymber was sure she looked horrid, but Daire's looks never failed to be simply beautiful. When he let go of her hand, she knew the prayer had ended and felt guilty that she hadn't paid the God more thanks and Daire less attention. She blushed and secretly wished that her hand was still in his.
They got eating. This breakfast was almost as wonderful as the feast Tymber had eaten the day she met Potter. There were bacon, and eggs, and potatoes, and everything that Tymber simply loved, and some things that she had never even seen!
When they were almost done, Daire whispered something to Potter and then excused himself from the table and came back a few seconds later with their harps. He handed Tymber her's. She took it reluctantly.
"Daire -- I-I can't play." Tymber said.
"Why not?" Daire asked, smiling.
"I'll mess up. I always mess up." Tymber said, looking down and feeling her face go red.
Daire leaned in. "No you won't. You'll be fine. " he assured her. "I mess up sometimes too. It's not a bad thing. Just laugh."
Tymber nodded and Daire began playing. She knew when it was her time to start playing but she had missed it. She felt terrible; she had just ruined the music! But Daire kept playing like nothing had happened. He did the introduction over again and this time Tymber was ready. She started playing.
It sounded beautiful. When they were done, everyone clapped. Martha reached over and placed a hand on Tymber's.
"Tymber," she said, "Why you are as good as Daire. But you know what he tells me?"
Tymber shook her head.
"He tells me that you have the voice of an angel, and then some."
Daire coughed and looked away. Tymber laughed at him.
"So," Martha said, "I'd really like to hear you sing."
Tymber stared at her with her mouth agape. "Sing? In front of everyone?"
"You sang for Sear and Peewee, so they say." Martha told her matter-of-factly.
"So I did." Tymber looked down.
"And did it wonderfully." Daire said.
He was enough inspiration for her to burst into song.
For the rest of the morning they all sang. Tymber left after pleading fatigue and lay down in the field she had layed in the night before.

When she woke up, it was almost night, and Staar was beside her.
Sister, Staar said, you should not sleep so soundly, for there is danger.
Danger, brother? Tymber asked.
I feel it. It isn't ready yet, but preparing. Can't you feel it, sister?
Tymber felt the life around her and noticed the absence. Everything was far on the other side of the field.
Where is everyone? she asked.
They keep as far from the forest as they can. That's where the danger is. That's where she is. Staar explained.
Tymber nodded. "That's the danger that Presta wanted me away from. The danger that I have to defeat to save my tribe." Memories flooded back but she pushed them away. She needed to repress any of her past feelings and thoughts.
Don't. Staar told her. Remember everything. Remember what your duty is.
"My duty..." Tymber looked down at her hands. I don't want to remember. she mindspoke.
But you must. Staar demanded. To save your tribe. They depend on you.
But I no longer depend on them. Don't you see Staar? I have my own life now. I'm going away tomorrow. I'll be far away from the tribe. Far away from my twin sister and all my other troubles. Tymber told him.
Staar looked into her eyes. Will you? Does your twin sister not have legs and a will that she might travel to where you are? None of your problems might follow you on your journey?
Tymber shook the thought away. "No." she said aloud. "No. Neolyn hates me. She wouldn't follow me."
Hates you, yes, but does she hate the feelings she causes you? No. And you know that she's the one.
"I know no such thing!" Tymber yelled, standing up. "You're right Staar. One problem will follow me, and that's you!"
Staar's eyes looked quickly away and the flash of hurt she caused him branded and singed Tymber's mind like a hot poker.
I only try to protect you. Staar said, and he quickly ran away.
Tymber let herself drop to the ground and she rested her forehead on her knees. Fooling with the blackness in her mind, she quickly sw some life coming towards her. Feeling it and playing with it's essence, she quickly recognized Daire. She didn't raise her head. She felt the ground shake as he plopped himself down beside her.
"Tymber?" Daire asked. When she didn't answer, he spoke agin. "Is something wrong?"
Tymber purposely fell over and let her head rest against Daire's shoulder. "I - I...You wouldn't understand." Tymber explained.
"I think that's what you think. But I'm sure that I will understand if you only tell me." Daire said softly.
Tymber looked up at his eyes, and then let them fall back to the ground. "If I tell you why I'm upset, I'd have to tell you everything."
"Then tell me everything." Daire's concerned eyes searched her face.
Tymber sighed. "I come from a place in the forest."
"I know that." Daire said.
"Just listen." Tymber demanded. "There I lived with my family, and with my people. My tribe."
"Your tribe?" Daire hought a moment. "Wait, do you mean that tribe, where every person has their own animal?"
"Yes." Tymber said slowly. She waited for Daire to nod, and continued. "Staar is a wolf. He is my spirit bond."
Daire's eyes widened. "You mean that - that you can speak with eachother? Communicate?"
Tymber nodded.
"This is very interesting! What does he say to you?" Daire asked, excitedly.
"He says many things. However I became angry at him for something that he told me just now. And I'm afraid I've hurt his feelings." Tymber's eyes started to well.
"There, there." Daire wiped away her tears with his thumb. "He'll forgive you."
Tymber nodded but started to cry. She tried to concentrate and feel Staar, but her body was shaking and therefore rocking the links. She couldn't get a hold.
"Do you want to talk about it?" Daire asked her.
"It was my fault." Tymber told him, pushing her face into his shirt. "I didn't want to admit it. I wanted to push it all away. I killed Presta, and Neolyn is going to kill me. She's the one I saw. It was her eyes. Her eyes that I saw in my dream. They stared straight at me. Sh-she..."
"Calm down, Tymber, girl." Daire stroked her hair. "Would it make you feel any better if we went and searched for Staar?"
Tymber nodded and they walked to the stable. Daire climbed upon the white horse, Chilles. Tymber mounted Seabring and they rode off. Tymber felt Staar. He was in the forest. Seabring felt the sudden shock and stopped. Daire stopped ahead of Tymber.
"Is something wrong?" he asked.
Tymber didn't look at him. She stared straight ahead into the forest. "He's in the forest." she said.
"Well then, let's go." Daire said.
Tymber nodded and caught up with him.

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Chapter 5
When they made it up to the trees, Tymber felt a strong reluctance. Seabring felt her anxiety.
Tymber? You do not feel good about this place. Let us leave. he said.
No, Seabring. We must get Staar.
Seabring shook his head and his mane lashed the air, sending a chill towards Tymber. She shivered.
You risk yourself and others for your own guilt. Seabring said. You will feel more guilt if this turns bad.
This will not turn bad! This will not! Tymber shook her head.
Daire pasued ahead of her. "Tymber?"
"I'm fine." Tymber said.
She rode alongside him as they entered the woods. Staar was close. She felt his sadness.
Staar? she called. She pulled her mind into his. He attacked her and drew her away. Tymber's head reeled from the lash and she almost fell from the saddle.
"Whats wrong?" Daire asked Tymber.
Tymber recovered from the attack on her mind. "Maybe this isn't such a good idea." she said. "I-it's dangerous here at night. We should leave."
"Well, if you want to." Daire said. He turned Chilles around and placed a hand on Tymber's shoulder, rubbing it. "You're stressed. I'll fill a warm bath for you when we get to Potter's."
Tymber nodded.
A chill ran through Tymber and she heard a yelp. She felt Staar's adrenaline rush the border of her mind, and she got off Seabring and ran. Seabring followed, clumsily tripping over the brush in his path. Daire's confusion was so much that it hurt her mind, but he got off Chilles and followed.
When Tymber got to where she felt Staar, she didn't see him at first. She saw Neolyn.
Neolyn stepped out from behind a tree and then dissappeared behind another. Tymber turned in circles and saw her everywhere. Wearing a white dress, Neolyn was a ghost against the night. She almost shone.
And Tymber's eyes hurt from the bright accentuation in the darkness.
"Yes, sister."
The voice rang the stillness. Tymber looked back at Daire and he, too, stared around in confusion and fear.
"You thought you had powers? Well."
Tymber's neck ached from twisting and turning it about. "What do you want Neolyn?!" she screamed.
"I know what you want." Neolyn said in a sing-song voice.
"Give him to me." Tymber whispered. "Give him to me NOW!" She screamed with all her anger.
A small laugh erupted the stillness and turned Tymber's echo upon itself. A mixture of noises vibrated and stilled.
"Oh, Tymber, dear."
Tymber felt her mind. She could not find Neolyn's true self, but her essence was everywhere. She latched on to it and tugged. Her mind surged into Neolyn's. She stared through Neolyn's eyes. Her eyes were everywhere. Tymber was at all angles. All eyes focused on Tymber.
She pulled away from Neolyn's mind and grabbed the link again. Into it she threw her feelings of fear, anxiety, and loss.
Neolyn's scream filled the darkness.
Tymber pulled on the link again and this time pushed in love. Something Neolyn had but never felt. Tymber pushed in the love for Staar and the guilt she felt for yelling at him.
Neolyn screamed again.
Weakly, her voice rang out. "I will be back, Tymber. My powers grow, as do your's. We will see who is more powerful in the end. Keep an eye on that precious mutt. He grows too daring." Her presence was gone.
Staar's body flickered and appeared in the centre of the clearing.
Tymber ran over to where he lay and gathered his neck in her arms. She felt his pain. A pain that grew deep inside of him. It was bright and red and hot. Tymber let her mind gather around it and she pressed a blue coolness against it. The pain was numbed, but she realized it would never be completely erased. Neolyn did not cause this pain. Her words, Tymber's own words, caused this terrible red brand that was pressed against his very heart and soul. She knew now, the strength of a spirit bond, and how hurtful the betrayal of the bond truly was. Tymber looked back at Daire, and knew that she loved him. She loved him with all her heart. But she would never love him more than Staar. Never.
Tymber stroked Staar's head, and felt the softness around his ears. He was unconscious, but only out of tiredness. Neolyn's spell, whatever it was, must have taken a toll on Staar's energy.
Daire came up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. She felt his hesitation and fear.
"Daire," she whispered, not turning around, "I'm sorry."
Daire didn't answer. He rubbed her back and came in front of her, gently lifting Staar's limp body.
She watched him walk away carrying Staar, and she followed him. Seabring was with Chilles on the other side of the trees. Chilles was nervous and jumped at Daire's appearance from the woods. When Seabring saw Staar in Daire's arms, he quickly trotted up and sniffed at the black wolf. Daire patted the horse's nose.
"He's alright, boy." Daire told him.
When Tymber came out, Seabring ran up to her and lifted her hair with his nose, smelling her neck and face. Tymber didn't smile. "You were right, Seabring." she told him. "I risk others out of my own selfishness. I should never have led Daire or you or Chilles out here. I should have come myself. I was afraid."
"It is okay to be afraid."
Tymber looked behind Seabring and saw Daire looking at her.
"It is not okay." Tymber told him. "Neolyn could have killed us all."
"You didn't know that though." Daire replied.
Tymber looked back at Seabring. "Yes I did." she said in a low voice.
She took Chilles's reigns and led him and Seabring. Daire followed beside them, carrying Staar in his arms. They didn't say another word.
When they got to Potter's, Daire lay Staar in an empty stall and took off on his own.
Tymber's fingers traced Staar's closed eyes. He was so beautiful. Inside and out. And look at her; a world of ugliness. Nothing that her pretty blue eyes and flowing blonde hair could fix. Inside she was in turmoil. She was tired and her shields were weak. Her emotions leaked out of her and caused the horses in the stable to neigh wildy. She felt their anxiety but didn't hear them scream. She blocked out the sound. In a world of deafness, she lay her head on Staar's side and closed her eyes. Her blackness came and the links were there. She stared at them and then went blind. Senseless, but for emotions that pulled at her madly, she slept.

And she dreamed.

Tymber rode out on Seabring. He wore white around his legs and on his back. Tymber looked down at herself and was white. A white army marched in front of her. They didn't see her. Her sword was heavy at her side, and, like her determination, slapped her with every step and made her go on. A black filled the sky. This black was a different colour than the blackness of her mind. It was bright and hurt her eyes. It seared her flesh and made her feel cold. She shivered. So cold.

And the armies clashed. White against black. Black against white. The white was easier to see in the darkness. They were at a disadvantage. And Tymber felt their sorrow. As clear as day, as dark as night, she felt their souls collapse as sorrow overcame them.
She saw them fall as if she were one foot away. She saw their faces as looks of horror clung to them; as each watched their brothers die.

Her eyes turned yellow as they faced the eyes of grey that burned her mind. She would not get away with this. Tonight the people win.

And the demons go back to Hell.

She awoke. Staar was still sleeping soundly. The horses felt troubled. There was a disturbance in the air, but Tymber dismissed it as she walked to Potter's homely cottage. She looked in the window and saw Martha readying lunch. Martha saw her peek in and opened the door to let Tymber in.
"Tymber," Martha said, "you slept well. We weren't sure to wake you for breakfast. Daire told us that you hadn't slept well these past nights."
"Well," Tymber replied, "I feel very rested now." she smiled lightly.
"Would ye help me set the table?" Marth inquired.
Tymber set the plates out, taking her time. "Where's Daire?" she asked.
"Upstairs talking to Potter." Martha said. "Ye know, he seems a bit distracted."
"Distracted?" Tymber asked.
"Yes." Martha replied. "Well, I suppose that's normal. After all, he will be leaving his hometown. He's lived here his whole life, ye know."
"Really?" Tymber asked, starting to set the cups down. "Where is his family?"
"He has none." Martha replied. "Mother died when he was just a young child. Father couldn't afford to keep him. Just left one night. He's stayed with us ever since. He helps out around the farm, and we fed him in return."
"How terrible that his father just left him!" Tymber exclaimed.
"Well, it's nothin' unusual. Might as well pride myself on being lucky enough to have found a wonderful husband that loves his children dearly." Martha smiled and went on tossing the salad.
Tymber placed the last napkin down and stood a moment in thought. This wasn't the first time she had thought of her father. But this was the first time that she admitted to feeling sorry for herself.
"What about you, child?" Martha asked. "Where is your family?"
Tymber crumpled the napkin in her hand. "I have no family." she told Martha.
Martha didn't reply. She looked at Tymber as Tymber stood there scowling, shook her head and went back to buttering the croissants.
Footsteps erupted as Daire and Potter noisily came down the stairs. Daire looked at Tymber and she quickly avoided his gaze.
"Serah! Peewee! Come and get your lunch!" Martha called.
The two children came giggling down the stairs.
When they ate lunch, they ate it in silence. Daire sat across from Tymber this time. Tymber was glad. The uncomfortable feeling of his hand in her's after what had happened the night before might be too much for Tymber to bare.
When they were done, Daire excused himself and went outside. Tymber turned around in her seat and watched him walk to the stables.
"Are ye done, Tymber?" Martha asked.
Tymber looked down at her empty plate and took her croissant in her hand. "Yes'm." she said. "Please excuse me." She ran outside.
She had almost made it to the stables when she thought for a moment. What would she do once she was in there? Would she apologize, again, for what happened the night before? She felt Daire's uneasiness. She didn't know quite what to say to him. She felt around her and noticed that Staar was awake. He was awake and aware.
Sliding her back down the outside of the stable wall, she sat on the ground. She closed her eyes and saw the blackness.
Staar? she called.
Tymber, you are here. I knew I felt you come. Staar said. Your mate speaks to me.
May I come into your mind for a moment? I'd like to hear for myself what he has to say. Tymber said.
You are welcome in my mind, so long as you ask. Staar approved.
Tymber tugged ther link and felt her mind flow into his with a rush. His vision wobbled some, but she steadied herself and let it still. Staar's eyesight was not good. Colours weren't to be found, except red and yellow that appeared dull. His hearing, however, was exceptional, and Tymber found that she didn't just hear Daire, but she heard the sound of his jaws scrape as he opened and closed his mouth, and the sound of his tongue as it touched the back of his teeth. She heard the rustle as he brushed his hair off of his forehead with his hand. She listened to what he said.
"She said that you could talk to her; understand her. Does that mean you can understand me?"
Staar cocked his head. Tymber's thoughts traveled to Staar's and then he nodded. He only understood because Tymber understood.
"You can!" Daire's eyes widened. He regained his composure. "Then, I trust you understand what happened lastnight."
Staar nodded again.
"You know, it scared me. I still don't know what happened. I really like Tymber --- alot. But I don't know anything about her. I know she's nice, and that she loves animals. And I know that she's practical. She has a way of daydreaming, where she'll just drift off to another world. She sometimes even seems somewhat depressed; sad; that I want to make her happy. And she's beautiful.." Daire looked away and imagined. "She's so beautiful, that the Gods must have crafted her out of stars. So lovely that the sea would part to let her through were she to not have a way to the other side. So gorgeous that she makes me want to sing a million songs." He looked back at Staar. "Are all of these things enough? Should her history really matter? Do I deserve her love as much as I want it?"
Tymber wanted to cry. He loved her.
Staar's hesitation was so strong that it felt like a cutting edge on Tymber's mind. He was never like this. He had an answer to every question. A solution for every doubt. And there he sat, staring up at Daire, unanswering, wavering in his decision, not knowing what to do.
I will never love him more than Staar. He had heard that thought the day before. Never, she had said.
Staar nodded.

Tymber cleaned Seabring's hooves.
You're thinking of him. Seabring accused.
"Who?" Tymber asked innocently.
Your mate. The black horse replied.
Tymber blushed. He's not my mate. she mindspoke.
Staar says he is considering courting you. Seabring countered.
Well... Tymber replied, turning even more red.
It had been a few hours since Daire had spoken with Staar. When Daire had exited the stable, Tymber pretended that she was just walking in, but he hadn't even seen her. She looked out the stall window now. He was outside the house, absently playing with his harp. He looked up into the blue sky and squinted. It was like he was in his own little world.
He would make a fine mate. He is a strong leader. The other horses obey him. Seabring said.
They do. Tymber smiled proudly.
But you, Seabring said, are not a horse. You are a free spirit. The leader, your mate, likes things he can control. He will not control you.
Tymber thought. I suppose not. But if he's going to love me, he's going to love everything about me, and if he can't control me, then he'll just have to be content. We can compromise.
Seabring thought about what she said for a moment. I don't believe that mates should be basing themselves on compromise, but on compatibility. That's how the best foals are made.
Well, like you said, I'm not a horse. I won't be having foals. She giggled.
Seabring shook his head and whickered in exasperation. His black mane flicked the air and drew Daire's attention for a second, but he quickly looked away from the window and went back to fiddling with his harp.
Tymber felt his essence and Daire tensed. He looked around and shook his head. He had felt her! She pushed herself back into his mind and into his blackness. She looked into the depths and saw a blue light. Reaching, she touched it and quickly pulled away. There was a warm coolness to it that made her mind buzz. She tried to surge herself into it, but something told her that she had been there before. This was familiar. She pulled away from his mind and looked into her own. A violet light mimicked that of Daire's. She touched it and it felt the same. This light is her magic. Than -- Daire has magic? She pulled herself away and looked out the window at him. He looked around him in confusion.
What do you do? A voice behind Tymber asked.
She jumped. She hadn't noticed Staar's presence.
I think...She mindspoke. I think that Daire has powers, like me. But it's not possible. He is not from my tribe.
Maybe there is magic outside your old pack. Staar answered.
Tymber nodded. "I don't understand." she said aloud. "The magic was not brilliant. It was unused. He must not know of it."
Tell him of it. Staar said.
''Tell him that I searched his mind? He'll think I'm a witch!" Tymber exclaimed.
She glanced out the window quickly to make sure Daire hadn't heard. He sat there, idly slinking the harp strings through his fingers.
Seabring looked back at her over his shoulder. It may be of use one day. He need not know you were in his mind. he said.
Tymber stared at Daire sitting there. He looked up and their eyes met. He smiled at her and got up, placing his harp on the ground. Tymber grabbed a curry brush and started smoothing down Seabring's dust-ridden fur. She looked up when Daire rounded the corner and was in sight.
"Daire, hello." Tymber said quickly.
"Tymber." he nodded. "We'll be leaving first thing in the morning."
"To Greykeep?"
"Where else?" Daire seemed nervous. Tymber felt that it was only because he was in her presence. They hadn't spoken about what happened in the forest, and Tymber wondered if they should.
"I see." Tymber nodded.
Daire rubbed the back of his head. "Make sure that you are well rested, as well as your horse and your dog."
"Wolf." Tymber answered.
Daire looked at her. "Wolf." he said in a low voice.
"Daire I--I..." Tymber stammered.
"You don't have to explain everything if you don't want to." Daire said.
"Yes...I must." Tymber told him.
She looked down at Staar, and his eyes pushed at her reluctance.

When Tymber and Daire were settled on the loft in the barn, she started telling him about where she came from, and what she was. He listened quietly, and kept good eye contact. Tymber loved those eyes.
"So, that was your sister?" Daire asked.
"Yes, my twin sister, Neolyn." Tymber answered.
"Why does she dislike you so?" Daire inquired.
"I don't know." Tymber shrugged. "You know," she said, " There has been a rumor around since we were just children. They say that Neolyn resembles Jemma, the Dark God's second child."
Tymber didn't expect Daire to know her people's Gods, but Daire nodded. "I know where we can find books about such things. In GreyKeep there is a library. They say there are books on every subject."
"Wonderful!" Tymber blurted. "I love books! My dear old friend, Race, taught me to read when I was a child, even against the Edlers' wishes. You see, only the men and the Elder women of the tribe are allowed to read."
Daire smiled. "Say, tell me more of these 'Elders.'"
"Well," Tymber started, "Elders never do get a spirit bond. But their powers are great. Very great, even at a young age. The one I knew told me that my own power brought power back to her; something she hadn't felt in a long time." Saying this, she realised that she had neglected to tell Daire about his magic.
"You must be very powerful." Daire told her.
Tymber took a deep breath. "Daire, do you know anything about magic?"
"Not really." Daire replied. " I do know though, that in Greykeep, they have a university where they teach such arts."
"And so anyone can have magic?" Tymber asked.
"I suppose so." Daire said. "I don't know if they are passed on in generations, as it seems your tribe's magic is."
"I see." Tymber answered. She stared out the loft window at the moutains, crafted ever so roughly.
"Why?" Daire asked.
Tymber looked back at him. She felt Staar urge her on. "I-I.." she paused.
"What?" Daire asked.
"There' ssomething about you. Something that makes me feel that you are more than just you. I feel magic in you." Tymber said.
"Me?" Daire asked, his nose crumpling. He sat in silence.
"Well?" Tymber interrupted the quiet.
"I suppose its entirely possible." Daire said. "I don't remember where I came from or who my family was. Why do you think I have magic?"
Tymber looked down. "I saw it in your mind."
Daire didn't seem angry. "I see. " he said. "And how do I get it to work?"
Tymber shrugged. "I don't know." she said. "Maybe you could learn at that university you mentioned."
"Maybe." Daire said. "Anyways, I have some things to do before we leave tomorrow. Would you mind tending to the horses?"
Tymber was relieved at the subject change. "Alright." Tymber said. "Where will you be going?"
"I'll be going to market." Daire replied. "We're selling the sheep."

wolfsoul
03-10-2004, 09:28 PM
And for those desperate to finally have something happen between Tymber and Daire...:p Here ya go...

Chapter 6

Tymber looked at the lamb that rested in Daire's lap. They didn't sell the little one. It's fur shone white as snow in the sun. Behind them, it's foster mother made everyone know of her uneasiness.
They rode on their horse's backs as they made their way along the dirt road. Tymber noted Seabring's anxiety. He wasn't enjoying the horses around him, tied to his saddle. He frequently reminded Tymber that at any moment they could run and he'd be dragged along.
"Stop complaining." Tymber said aloud. Daire looked at her, then his gaze turned to the black horse under Tymber, but he didn't reply. Tymber was glad that he seemed to accept what she was now.
"We'll be there by dawn." Daire told her. He had explained to her already that they won't be stopping to rest. He knew that her legs weren't as accustomed to riding as his, and she'd be aching afterwards. His eyes traveled up her legs and he wondered if she would want a massage. He shook his head of improper thoughts and kept his eyes straight ahead.
Tymber looked at Daire out of the corner of her eye. He stared at the road ahead, and she wondered why he seemed so intent to focus on it.
"Tymber?" Daire asked, still looking at the road.
"Yes?"
"You don't think -" he cleared his throat, "-that your sister will follow us. Do you?"
"I don't know." Tymber answered. Truly she didn't. But they would meet up again one day, for sure. She is the evil that Presta spoke of. And Neolyn knows it. We will see who's more powerful in the end, she had said. Tymber shivered.
If Daire had anything else to say, he kept it to himself. Tymber grew deeply uncomfortable watching him sit there in silence. She wanted him to talk to her. She wanted to him to hold her, and kiss her and --
He is unsure of when to court you. Staar interrupted Tymber's thoughts.
Why? Tymber asked.
He rode ahead of the skewbald horse that was tied to Seabring's saddle. His red bandana was accentuated against his black fur and the grey dirt behind him.
Because. Staar told her. Your kind is too confusing. A wolf knows when a bitch is most fertile and ready to have offspring. It would be easier if you were just a wolf.
Tymber wasn't sure whether to laugh or blush. She did a little of both, and Daire looked at her for just a moment. His head quickly turned away and settled on the road again.
Potter is atleast a mile back. Daire thought. I have enough time to do anything with Tymber.
And that was what he was afraid of. He wouldn't let his lustful thoughts get the better of him. He was a gentleman.
Tymber felt his reluctance to be near her. It stung her. She wondered if it was because he knows what she is. Maybe he hates what she is. But he had already confessed to loving her, even when he knew that she had powers. She was so confused.
Possibly it is not that he hates you. Staar told her.
Then why?
Staar's yellow eyes settled on her blue and then pulled away in subordinance.
He loves you.
Why does he not want to be beside me then? Tymber asked him.
Maybe he is afraid that you do not return his feelings. Staar replied.
Once again, Staar's simple rationalizations made sense. She gazed down at him, and he even looked smart.
"How far back is Potter?" Tymber asked Daire, shyly.
"About a mile or around there. He prefers to travel slow in the carraige, as the road is fairly rocky."
Tymber nodded. She looked at him. He seemed to notice her stare, but made no attempt to look at her. She felt more alone than she would if there were nobody riding beside her.
You are not alone. Staar told her.
Tymber sighed. I am not alone.

Seabring's hooves pounded the ground and woke Tymber from her half-sleep.
We are there. he told her.
Tymber saw the massive stone walls that surrounded the city. A guard looked down from above the drawbridge and called down to Daire.
"Who are ye?" he yelled.
"I am the new royal stablehand! The stablemaster comes from behind!" Daire yelled back.
"Aight!" The guard replied. "Lower the bridge!" he yelled to his comrades on the other side of the drawbridge.
The bridge lowered and the dust rose as it pounded the ground before Tymber and Daire. The horse beside Tymber reared and pulled at Seabring's saddle. Seabring held tight, and the horse stopped but still jittered. Tymber reached out to him with her mind and lay a blanket of calmness over him. Daire watched Tymber out of the corner of his eye, knowing what she was doing,but no words went along with his critical look.
They made their way across. Tymber looked down at the discusting water on her left. The putrid stink was almost overpowering, and feces littered the muck. She looked away in disgust. Staar didn't return her feelings. He thought the smell was merely interesting, and was sure to wander to the edge and give the sewage a sniff. Tymber's link with him was ever strong, and her nose wrinkled and she gagged as her own sense of smell was heightened at his deep breath. Tymber wasn't sure if horses could roll their eyes, but Seabring was filled with dry amusement.
Keep your eyes ahead. Seabring told her.
Tymber did as she was told for a moment, but her eyes drifted back to Daire. He looked confident as he rode upon Chilles. She imitated his look of self-assurance, but as they entered the gates, hundreds of eyes fell upon her and her shoulders slumped as she drew back into herself.
They are looking at me too! Staar said, his head in the air.
Only you like it when they look at you. Tymber replied.
You don't need to hate it. Take it as a compliment.
Seabring whickered in agreement, and he strutted his legs in large steps.
The tribe never paid this much attention to me. Tymber retorted.
Then it is not nature, but truly nurture that made you feel this way. That gives you some power to change it. Seabring told her.
Tymber didn't feel assured. She looked at the people. They didn't stare out of fear, but only curiosity. She saw children running and playing and laughing. They weren't working like Tymber did as a child. For a moment she felt envious that she grew up in such a hard-pressing community; but looking over at Daire, who only smiled at the children, she realised that she was being selfish.
And why shouldn't you be jealous? Staar asked.
It's wrong. Tymber replied. My life was fine.
Do not be afraid to anger yourself with feelings that come naturally. Seabring told her matter-of-factly.
I won't.

Potter and his family walked through the stable entrance. Potter carried PeeWee upstairs where she could sleep peacefully. Sera followed, yawning. Martha didn't look much better. Her eyes were red.
"You know," she told Tymber who was rubbing Seabring off in his stall, "We took it slow in the carriage so that not only will the carraige stay in shape, but also we we can sleep on the way. Well I can tell ye dearie, that not only does the carriage look as if it's been hit by a whirlwind, but not one of us has slept a minute." Small laughter rolled on her throat. "Well, best to say g'night to ye then!"
Tymber laughed. "Goodnight."
Martha looked out the door behind her and at the bright morning sky. "Well, even better to say good mornin' I s'pose!" She climbed the stairs and shut the creaky wood door behind her.
She's a happy spirit, Seabring said.
Tymber turned to see Daire rush past her.
And Daire is a busy spirit. She laughed.
Seabring whickered.
"Tymber," Daire yelled from the last stall, "can you bring a scrubbrush over here, and a bucket?"
"Alright." Tymber answered. She gave Seabring one last pat and fetched the brush and bucket.
Daire was in the last stall, picking out every last bit of hay and throwing it in a pile. She noticed a blue-grey substance on the stall walls and floor.
"Mold." Daire told her. "Mold, bloody mold!"
"Daire calm down -- "
"I can't calm down, Tymber! I'm set on having everything unpacked tonight. We can't even bring the horses in here until every last stall is cleaned!" Daire yelled.
Tymber's mind probed his, sensing great stress. She lay a blanket of calm upon it and Daire's head jerked up to look at her.
He stood up slowly. "Don't you ever use your magic on me." He brushed past her and ordered, "Take every horse out of here! Tie them outside."
"But what if we don't get done toni-"
"We will get done tonight!"
She felt a small bit of regret that was pressing Daire's mind. She knew it would get bigger in the mean time, and he would feel guilty for snapping at her. However, she was feeling guilty herself. She was taking advantage of her abilities.
She sighed, took the brush, and started scrubbing the stall.

Daire's night dragged on as he finished unpacking and setting things in the stable to his liking. Tymber lay in the straw watching him. She would have gladly helped him if he would only let her. His guilt overpowered any other emotion going through him at that moment. He needed to keep busy, and she respected that. So, she lay and watched him run around in a frenzy, desperate to finish that very night, though the night slowly pulled into morning, and Tymber's eyes began to tire at watching the repetitiveness motion of Daire going back and forth.
Just as she let herself fall into slumber, she felt a presence beside her. Assuming it was Staar, she reached out, but her hand touched a flanel fabric and she pulled back. Her eyes opened and met Daire's.
"I didn't finish your room." he told her, apologetically.
"What about your's?'' Tymber inquired.
"I don't have one."
"Where will you sleep than?" Tymber asked, concerned.
His eyes quickly fell to the hay they lay in, and back to Tymber's.
"On the ground?" Tymber exclaimed.
"The straw is comfortable." Daire rationalized.
"So is a bed." Tymber said. "This is your job more mine. You take the bed. I'll be fine."
"No." Daire said firmly. "You need your privacy. And -" his voice quieted,"- This is a larger town than Sarsborough from whence we came. There's no telling of what men live in these parts. The stable doors offer less protection than will both them and the doors of your room."
Tymber's features softened as Daire's compassion shan through.
She pushed herself closer to him. "Well, I don't want you sleeping out here if there's any danger."
"I don't think anyone would want to bed with me." Daire laughed. "I'm not exactly a picture of 'feminine beauty.' "
"Oh." Tymber said. "And I am?" Tymber inquired, smiling slyly.
Daire coughed. Daire pushed his upper body up and propped his head on his hand. "Tymber..." he said.
Tymber felt his intentions before he could say more. She pulled her face towards her's and kissed him.
It was a long kiss -- atleast Tymber thought so. She'd never experienced one before, and so it was difficult for her to say. But it was no harder than cotton wool so say that it was intensly exciting.
She linked her mind with Daire's once more, and he almost pulled back; but she pushed all of the emotions she was experiencing into his mind and he melted, his mouth covering her's in a passionate embrace.
He picked out the one feeling that had him pondering so long.
Love. She loved him.
They parted to breathe and their blue eyes stared deeply into eachother's.
Daire lay back and pulled Tymber close to him. "I love you." he told her.
But she was already asleep.

Before Tymber fell asleep on Daire's shoulder, she could have sworn she felt Staar enter the hole in the stable wall, and then hear him snort ''humans,'' and trot back out again.

wolfsoul
03-11-2004, 04:09 PM
bump

binka_nugget
03-13-2004, 12:02 AM
AWESOME!!!!! :D

wolfsoul
03-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Well, since you're the only one who enjoys it...If I decide to keep writing, I'll just email you my stories. I wouldn't want to take up space on the board.

catnapper
03-20-2004, 03:43 PM
I enjoy them too! I just hate to post under a story, because when the next chapter comes, I've got to read through all the responses to find the story!:D Keep writing! I need to see what happens.

wolfsoul
03-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Thank you! :) I thought that nobody liked it. :( I'd like to write a bit more and then I'll post some. :D

Aspen and Misty
03-20-2004, 03:50 PM
I LOVE THIS STORY!!!

Did you know your story is 42 pages long in word!!! I wanted to print it out but thats alot of paper! O well, it's worth it!! Keep writing, keep posting!

Ash :D

wolfsoul
03-20-2004, 04:31 PM
42 pages?! :eek: I wonder how many pages it would be if the pages were book sized lol.

thanks! :D

tikeyas_mom
03-20-2004, 07:27 PM
great story, my eyes are going all weird now from reading it :p