PDA

View Full Version : need advice

lovemybostons
03-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I have 2 female Boston terriers. They are both less than two years old. My husband is wanting a mastiff but I am worried. I have never had a big dog and I am worried that a big dog might hurt my little bostons. One of my girls (Allie) is very possessive of all of the toys and wants all the attention. She was here first. I have read that you shouldn't have 2 dominant females. Maci is pretty submissive, so there aren't usually any problems. They do occassionally nip at each other. My concern is that Allie might get snippy with a big dog and get hurt. We would probably get a male because of Allie being so dominant. Could there still be issues of dominance even with a male dog? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with mastiff's? We have researched the breed and they seem like good family dogs. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Lissa
03-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Would you be getting the mastiff as a puppy? That could make some difference because he may learn that your other dog is alpha while small and be ok with it, also he might me able to ajust to it more as a pup. As an adult that is already and established alpha then thats when you would have possible problems. Also from what I notice, some big dogs don't mind being bossed by a smaller dog, I knew one that feared the smaller dominate dog. It could just come down to the dogs individual personalities. I don't know a whole lot about this, but I have a problem with a dominate female and this is the jist of what the vet told me when considering getting another dog. Hope I was somewhat of a help.

Lissa
03-09-2004, 10:09 PM
By the way welcome! Would LOVE to see pictures of your pups!
I'm Melissa and this is my pup Layla, a german shepherd/border collie mix.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p1cc77a0f1829505a090c3e8cbe16a3ac/f9de409d.jpg

Tonya
03-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Hello, Welcome to PT. I'd always had big dogs until this year. I have a husky and an australian shephard-husky mix. I was really scared to get a pomeranian because my big dogs play so rough with eachother. I thought that they'd kill it for sure. At first, I wouldn't let them go near. Then one day, Dusty got to the pup and put his whole mouth over the pom. It scared the heck out of me, but I soon realized that he'd never hurt him. My dogs are so gentle with small dogs. Right now, we have a 2 1/2 month old pomeranian (our second pom) and they are awesome with her. When they run, they always watch their steps. They put their mouths playfully on her and it looks scary, but they never hurt her. They will fight eachother for bones, yet the pom can take bones from them. The little pom runs their lives. Our previous pom was actually agressive and our dogs would run from him when he was mad. (And my dogs normally won't back down from a fight.)

I'm sure there are many horror stories out there too though. Alot can happen. I think that it can work out for you, but I would suggest using caution and never leaving them alone together.

lovemybostons
03-09-2004, 10:32 PM
We would definately get a puppy. From what I've read that does make a big difference. I've also read to ask the breeder if the puppy is submissive. I didn't know that they could tell that at such a young age. Allie was never dominate towards my mom's dogs when we would visit. It was only when we brought Maci home that she started that. Even when she was a puppy though she would get in between my husband and I if we were sitting next to each other on the couch or if he would give me a hug. I will post some pictures soon, I have to figure out how to do it. :)
Thanks for all the advice so far. I really appreciate it.

Lissa
03-09-2004, 11:32 PM
A few ways to tell are if they try to stand on other puppies/dogs. "Mating" with your legs are other items are a way of showing dominance. Its been a while I trying to remember all of the signs Layla gave us as a puppy that she is the alpha. Those where the main two. She started it when we got her and she was between 2 and 3 months, so I think that they will somehow show some indication. She is most dominate at home like your pup is though. I think you will be surprised on how they will take on their roles, even with the size difference. Tonya is right though, really watch them untill you know for sure there will be no problems.

Lissa
03-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Ohhhh! I just remembered how the vet told me to become the alpha in the relationship, and this is how they also test to tell if the dog is submissive. Lay the dog on its back and hold it down gently. This is how dominance is created in the pack. If the dog just lays there relaxed then it is the submissive one. If it struggles then it is trying to be dominate. They had me do this with Layla when she was trying to be the alpha with me. It really helped. I hope I've been some help!

lovemybostons
03-10-2004, 03:20 AM
You both have been a big help. Thank you. If you think of anything else let me know. Jessica:)

Twisterdog
03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm sure there are many horror stories out there too though. Alot can happen. I think that it can work out for you, but I would suggest using caution and never leaving them alone together

I agree.

English mastiffs are traditionally a calm, even-tempered, good-natured dog. My friend brought two GIANT mastiffs to visit us once, and they basically lay in the middle of the floor and snored, and let my chihuahuas and fox terriers sniff them, climb on them and generally act like idiots.

However, a good part of ANY dog's behavior is how it is raised and trained.

A big dog, even the sweetest, most gentle and kind big dog, can accidently hurt a small dog ... especially when the big dog is a huge, awkward, silly adolescent.

Tonya
03-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
A big dog, even the sweetest, most gentle and kind big dog, can accidently hurt a small dog ... especially when the big dog is a huge, awkward, silly adolescent.

I grew up with the sweetest Malmute-Timber wolf mix. We always had rabbits, chickens, cats, small dogs with her and she treated them so well. Well, she accidently killed a baby chick once. It broke her heart, she kept nudging it with her nose and crying...

On the lighter side, here's a pic with my big dogs with the little ones...

Roxy and Sarah

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/p12af6a905578406347a6a27419e680db/f96eac3b.jpg

Roxy and Teddy (I no longer have him.)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pd5d6b8cf5bc818597188c3275a55ebca/fa5bac82.jpg

Look who is beating up who...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid90/pa498295f638f88e89259bd76dff48c80/fa71b9d0.jpg

And who has the bone...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/pc647854624a062da8b11512003a1a74f/fa92cdf4.jpg

tikeyas_mom
03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
that is just too cute tonya :D...
It reminds me of Oscar and Baby.
I think you should get a male mastiff as a pup and see how it goes, because bigger dogs are usually the ones to be submissive towards a little agressive dog.. ;)
at least with oscar*shih tzu* and baby*great dane*, baby is always submissing to Oscar, it is sumwhat cute... GULP.. hee hee

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid84/p9edde4870bc3f99e3a43246fc61386f5/faca9ee5.jpg Tikeya laying on her back for oscar.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p85b80af875ee167f65b28db100f5ec47/f9ec7151.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p49ea1c089eff578698492597b01366e2/f9ec716f.jpg look whos beating up who ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p948a5b14931d9eee1b9fe96e42d5a526/f9e9aac2.jpg Tikeya and her best buddie Otis, that dachshund

lovemybostons
03-12-2004, 06:33 AM
You all have been very helpful. I really appreciate it. Your dogs are adorable. I tried putting pics of my girls on here through Image Station but it kept saying that we were trying to access the picture from outside Image Station. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'll keep trying though.
Jessica

Moose
03-12-2004, 07:00 AM
I really don't have much else to add...since I don't really have much experience with little dogs living with bigger dogs. Either way, the advice you've gotten sounds pretty good to me. :)

Just remember though...little dogs [especially terriers] can be fiesty, and they're just like big dogs in little bodies. I've met plenty of small dogs that can "hang with the big guys." ;):)

DogLover9501
03-12-2004, 04:22 PM
If your boston's show the puppy who is in charge, the puppy will always remember.

We have had Jasper(boxer) for 4 months, and Piddle(shih-tzu) is in charge, Jasper will not bother him at all, would never take anything from him or near him, and he knows what not to do near or to Piddle, basically he has to stay away from him, or Piddle will growl, snarl..etc, And Jasper knows.

Rachel
03-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by lovemybostons
. I tried putting pics of my girls on here through Image Station but it kept saying that we were trying to access the picture from outside Image Station. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'll keep trying though.
Jessica

Bring up your picture at ImageStation, then right click on it. Select *properties* and copy the URL you get there. Then use that URL for after you press the image setting here. I had the same problem until I did it this way.

I think Bostons are so dear. Animal Planet just had a show on with a Boston who had pups, but before that, the mom got *married* to the dad. They had all the Bostons dressed up in wedding outfits, attendants included.

lovemybostons
03-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I'll try doing it that way. I saw that show on Animal Planet too, weren't they just darling. I also saw one like that on That's my baby but it was pugs, how cute.

max's mommy
03-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi folks! This is my first time on this site, so please ignore any mistakes I might make. I was thinking of getting a Boston Terrier. It has not been born yet. It is due in April. I have done a little research on the breed. I was wondering how they are with cats. I have a two year old cat; he is part siamese. I think he is beautiful. Anyway any advice on Boston Terriers will be appreciated. Thanks

Freedom
03-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi Max's Mommy, welcome to PT! did you post an introduction yet? I'll have to go check.

Terriers are, by definition, more prey driven than some other breeds. So you need to think about the breed generally, and the individual dog specifically. my next door neighbor has Bostons; no way they can be trusted with my cats. This is what happens:
- the dogs look at the cat
- the cat startles and runs (away)
- prey drive kicks in and the terriers begin the chase :eek:
- neighbor and I now join in, much further behind and losing ground all the way :rolleyes:
- fortunately, both times, my cat ran into my garage and up under the car. We caught the dogs, took them back home, and the cat came down at her own time. Greasy and oily, but safe.

While it is POSSIBLE for a terrier and a cat to coexist, it does require diligence and training on your part, and a bit of luck as to the personality of the individual dog you get.

lute
03-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi folks! This is my first time on this site, so please ignore any mistakes I might make. I was thinking of getting a Boston Terrier. It has not been born yet. It is due in April. I have done a little research on the breed. I was wondering how they are with cats. I have a two year old cat; he is part siamese. I think he is beautiful. Anyway any advice on Boston Terriers will be appreciated. Thanks
WELCOME TO PT!!! We all really hope you like it here and learn a lot! The more you stick around the more you'll learn!

Ok, now to your question... Boston's as ANY breed can be great with cats if they are raised with them. Once a puppy tries to play too rough with a cat, chances are that cat is going to swat at that puppy. A few times of that and that puppy is not going to bother the cat. I do advise you to do a lot of research on any breed you consider. Every breed is different in their own way and not for everyone. Look up health problems in Bostons and know. I know this breed is prone to eye problems, respretory problems and obesity. GOOD LUCK!!!

buttercup132
03-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Generally most terrier breeds are very high prey driven even if they are raised as a puppy with a cat they could still try and go after the cat. I wanted a Yorkie before and had to change my mind because they are terriers and I don't want to chance anything with the cats.
Are there any other breeds your interested in?

lute
03-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Generally most terrier breeds are very high prey driven even if they are raised as a puppy with a cat they could still try and go after the cat. I wanted a Yorkie before and had to change my mind because they are terriers and I don't want to chance anything with the cats.
Are there any other breeds your interested in?

Most terriers are high prey drive, but I honestly feel that if raised from a young age and are use to each other, I think cats should be fine. Especially with a small breed like a Boston or Yorkie.

beeniesmom
03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi and welcome to PT.

Funny noone mentioned to ask ME about BOSTONS!!!

As a mommy to two bostons I have a lot of info on them!

Boston terriers do get along with cats. Since you will be getting one as a puppy, you shouldn't have any issues. If your puppy tries to pass boundries the cat will certainly let him/her know that enough is enough!

Boston Terriers are in general a very active breed and love to play ALL THE TIME. Boston terriers tend to be puppy like until they are at least 3 years old.

They are very loyal companions and love company.

SOME, not all tend to have several medical issues: they can have patellar luxations (knee pops out of joint, cherry eye, allergies and skin issues).

If you have the time for a Boston, I think they are the best breed in the world (boy am I biased!). :)