PDA

View Full Version : Teeth

Brook
03-09-2004, 08:35 AM
I have a question about my Brittany's teeth. My Brittany is almost 5 years old. She is a normal dog that chews on bones, greenies, and other chewable toys that keep her teeth somewhat clean. The Vet the other day suggested to have a complete cleaning of her teeth. She would be put under and her teeth would be plaque free. Is this worth doing? Is it needed to keep her teeth healthy? The cost is $115 which is a discounted special they are running this month. Any suggestions on this would be helpful.
Brook

honor_fl
03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Absolutely! Its very important to keep your dog's teeth plaque free. Not only does it keep the dog healthy, but plaque can cause infected gums, which is extremely painful. You're doing all the right things, with the chewies and greenies, etc etc, but they still need to be cleaned by the vet occasionally.

My Peanuts
03-09-2004, 05:37 PM
It is definitely worth doing, and that's a pretty good price too. My Shih Tzu was 9 years old when she had is done, but my current dogs will have it done much sooner.

Dog1,Cats2
03-10-2004, 08:19 AM
So how often SHOULD we be having our dog's dental work done? Every 6 months, like humans are recommende to? Annually? Every few years???

clara4457
03-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Dog1,Cats2
So how often SHOULD we be having our dog's dental work done? Every 6 months, like humans are recommende to? Annually? Every few years???

The vet should check their teeth at their yearly physical and recommend whether or not a teeth cleaning is necessary. It usually depends on the condition of the teeth when (or if) they need any cleaning. My vet says that as long as they continue to get occasional bones and greenies, and I continue to brush their teeth on a weekly basis, teeth cleaning may never be necessary. Penny Lane had to get a cleaning and a couple of teeth pulled when I first adopted her, but my vet said since her teeth were so neglected during her first few years, we will probably have to do it again in a few years. I am trying to avoid it with teeth brushing and bones - I already can see how much better her teeth are now (and her breath) :)

micki76
03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
We had to have Millie’s teeth cleaned when we got her. Her teeth were horrible. I think she was always fed canned only and was never given chewies. She's just around 3 years old, but our vet said she had the teeth of a much older dog. Now they're shiny & white and her breath is not nauseating anymore. :) Chester's 5 and his teeth are still clean and pretty. We used to brush every day, but now we're down to once or twice a week. :( Everyday they get one dental chew that's treated with enzymes that we got from the vet, and they also get other chewies.