PDA

View Full Version : Vacuuming up cat fur!

Madelyn
03-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Can anyone recommend a vacuum that actually picks up cat fur? Of the two I have, neither one works very well. The newest one I bought just rolls it up in little balls on the carpet and never vacuums it up. I have 2 cats - one short hair and the other a long hair orange tabby. It's the long-haired one that seems so hard to get. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

catlover4ever
03-08-2004, 01:52 PM
I have a 12 amp Dirt Devil bagless vacuum and I LOVE it. The first time I used it I had only done the living room and I had to empty the cylinder because it had so much fur that it sucked up from the carpet.

Madelyn
03-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks CatLover4Ever, I'll check it out. I was vacuuming yesterday and decided that running the vacuum then going back and picking up all these little "fur balls" was not exactly the most efficieint way to get it up. I love my sweeties though and they're worth the effort.

rkidsrcats
03-08-2004, 02:11 PM
After 3 vacuums in 4 years imploding on us, we broke down and got a Dyson - the aptly named "Animal" model. It was a little expensive, but is guaranteed for 3 years, the filters don't ever have to be changed and it is bagless. And it does a number on cat hair and long hair of our Golden Retriever. Incredible suction and surprisingly quiet...I sound like a commercial.

Kirsten
03-08-2004, 02:14 PM
I have the same problem with one carpet. Now from time to time, I'll rub the carpet with a wet sponge. This would form some kind of "hairballs" which you can pick up very well.

Kirsten

K & L
03-08-2004, 02:39 PM
We have the Hoover Wind Tunnel, bagless, self-propelled. It works wonderful!

RedHedd
03-08-2004, 03:24 PM
My trusty old Hoover died last year. I did some research on the Internet and decided on a Eureka Windstorm bagless. I LOVE it! The HEPA filter system also filters out the cat dander so my allergies don't act up so much either. Picks up the cat litter AND the cat hair. It makes less noise than the old Hoover did, but Mitzi is still scared of it. Mishi is my brave boybee and just gets airplane ears and he lets me vacuum around him.

jenluckenbach
03-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
I have a 12 amp Dirt Devil bagless vacuum and I LOVE it. The first time I used it I had only done the living room and I had to empty the cylinder because it had so much fur that it sucked up from the carpet.
I could have said this exact quote!

sirrahbed
03-08-2004, 05:23 PM
I also have the Hoover WindTunnel V2 and it is almost embarrassing what comes out of that cylinder!! But, I wish I had spent the extra $100 for the self propelled as doing the whole house at one time is more than I can (man)handle!! The suction is incredible!:o

PS on a downside - the Hepa filter is $25 to change!!

RICHARD
03-08-2004, 05:41 PM
VACUUM CAT FUR?????

I use my toe to move it into patterns on the rug, then I hairspray it into place......

I use the cheap pump hairspray........It's bio friendly.;)

catmandu
03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
I am going to buy that Dirt Devil , as the Cats shed so much , that the Furniture is a multi Cat Fur colored! And one of the Cat Sitters had a mild lung infection , from the Fur! And we cant have that!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-09-2004, 01:12 PM
My dream vacuum is one that sucks cat fur and cat litter out of carpets, is bagless, and lightweight. I'm only 4 ft 9, and can't handle big heavy vacuums. It can't have a rotating brush because it gets caught on the capet.

Has any one seen my dream vacuum?:eek: :D

sirrahbed
03-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Eureka Superlight is my vacuum for everyday. It does have small rotating brush - but I use it even on my throw rugs on the high pile setting and it does not pick them up. The cup gets full too! Close to your dream machine:D

momoffuzzyfaces
03-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Eureka Superlight is my vacuum for everyday. It does have small rotating brush - but I use it even on my throw rugs on the high pile setting and it does not pick them up. The cup gets full too! Close to your dream machine:D I have an Eureka Superlight whirlwind. It snags the carpet. Mine doesn't have different pile settings though. The problem is old carpet that my landlady won't replace. It's getting frayed and brushes grab the frayes and make them worse. I have a tendency to trip over them. :D

sirrahbed
03-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
I have an Eureka Superlight whirlwind. It snags the carpet. Mine doesn't have different pile settings though. The problem is old carpet that my landlady won't replace. It's getting frayed and brushes grab the frayes and make them worse. I have a tendency to trip over them. :D
Not sure we have the same one?? Mine is bright yellow and says "The Boss" on it. The settings say FLOOR and CARPET. I use FLOOR for carpet and CARPET for throw rugs, etc. I wish it had the suction of the Hoover WindTunnel tho. But for the lightness - it is pretty much all I use. That WindTunnel wears me out!!! I guess there really IS no dream vacuum - unless it is a self propelled one that comes with a husband:rolleyes:

All this cleaning talk sounds like we are the Martha Stewarts or Heloises of the cat world!

Pickle
03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
We bought a Dyson DC05 which is bagless. We are really happy with it fur-removing capabilities. It's a little thing which wheels about behind you as you go so nice and light too.

anna_66
03-09-2004, 03:45 PM
We just bought the Dyson animal also. So far it works wonders, Angus even lets me vacumn him with it:p

Killearn Kitties
03-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Yep! I use a Dyson - it works really well.

As Kirsten says though - a damp cloth rubbed over any surface picks up really well, if you don't happen to have a great vacuum cleaner.

CatDad
03-09-2004, 10:49 PM
I was going to ask this same question as we really need a new one.

I have seen the Dysons and have heard good things about them. They are a little pricey though. Just to let you know we cannot get the canister model in the US. they only sell the uprights.:( I have seen them on the UK site and they look really cool.

Thanks for all of the great advice.:D