PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please: FeLV-vaccination yes or no?

Kirsten
03-08-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm a bit confused now.

As you may remember, I've found out the other day that Lily hasn't been vaccinated against Feline Leukemia by her first vet, so I had her tested last week - thank God it's been negative - and she got her shot now.

Now I've spoken to the friend from which I got Lily; she still has the mommy cat and Lily's brother Baghira, both indoor/outdoor cats, and none of them has ever been vaccinated against FeLV (by two previous vets). She has asked her new vet now about the necessity of FeLV-shots and he said there isn't a high risk, especially when a cat is neutered or spayed. He also said you would see when a cat has that disease (??? this doesn't match with the fact that a cat can be infected for years before the disease breaks out!!!) and that cats usually avoid having contacts with sick cats (which I also find an odd statement). He has also said that he would give the shot to her cats when she thinks she would have too much money. In other words, he thinks it's a waste of money, and so she decided not to have her kitties vaccinated against Feline Leukemia.

We just had a discussion and she believes now that the articles I've read about the importance of a FeLV shot have been written or sponsered by the pharma industry, and that my vet only wanted to make money (Luna has annually been vaccinated against FeLV, her mother has also been an outdoor cat). However, I cannot say I agree with that, and I'm feeling more comfortable with the thought that my cats have been vaccinated - even if there's only a protection of 80-85%.

What do you think? Would like to hear your opinions!

Kirsten

sirrahved
03-08-2004, 12:05 PM
I didn't get mine vaccinated, but they are strictly indoor cats. Occasionally they are allowed out with us in our fenced in patio. We didn't think the need was high for us, but if they were outdoor cats I would definitely get one. Who wants to take that chance?

Twink
03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I've read (although I can't remember where) that these vaccinations were unneccessary (for indoor kitties) and potentially harmful. I know my vet didn't even suggest it for Rizzo (and, as discussed in another thread, my vet LOOOOVES to vaccinate!). I was surprised to see people here advocating the FeLV vaccine the other day, and begin to think that I was misinformed. But I really don't have any concrete information one way or the other. I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks! Could this be one of those things that varies from country to country? (whether vaccinating is preferred or not?)

Kirsten
03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Well, from what I've heard, there is a small risk of developing a fibrosarcoma from a FeLV-shot. According to my vet it's also a fact that a cat that's kept strictly indoors has only little chances to be exposed to the virus (it's another thing with panleukopenia or URI, you can carry these viruses with you on your clothes and shoes).

I also think that I can stop having Luna and Lily vaccinated against FeLV in the future because they are indoor cats. But since both their mommies have been outdoor cats I think there was a risk. When Luna was younger, she was playing with another kitten that lived in my mother's house, so I thought it's better to be on the safer side. For the same reason I continued with the shots because I knew I would get a second cat sooner or later (which happened last year when I got Lily).

However, I find it odd that my friend's vet now says that even outdoor cats don't need to be va ccinated!

Kirsten

catlover4ever
03-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Kirsten, First of all I'm so happy that Lily's tests came back negative....what a relief.

Second, all of mine get annual boosters for FeLV. Tigger has been getting "updated" every year for the last 11 years and has not developed fibrosarcoma. I vaccinate all of mine even though Tigger and Smokey are mainly indoor kitties, but that is a choice that I decided because of the fact that Tucker, Mystic and Abner are all allowed outside and I don't want to run a risk of having Tigger or Smokey sick.

I agree with you that Luna and Lily are pretty safe because they are not allowed outside. If they were allowed out, or if you were in my situation then I would say it is better to be safe than sorry.

Meg

Craftlady
03-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Kristen,
Cat's will avoid a sick cat. It happened at my house the last few days with Butterscotch. Skinny and Thumper scattered real fast.

Our new vet does the first round of FelV vaccinations after that if they are strictly indoors only they don't continue. Up until the time we switched to our new vet everyone got FellV boasters etc yearly.

I have no idea what our new vet is going to do now with Skinny and Thumper since Butterscotch died for Feline Leukemia. Those and other questions will be answered when I take Skinny and Thumper to be re-tested.

In my opinion, I strongly urgue the first round of shots.

aly
03-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Outdoor cats definately need to be vaccinated against it. Even the vaccination doesn't 100% guarantee they won't catch it, but it helps their chances. Being spayed or neutered has nothing to do with it, other than the fact that unfixed cats fight and mate more, thus creating more contact to possibly infected cats.

I've also not found it to be true that they stay away from sick cats.

My cats are strictly indoors, but I do foster a lot so mine are vaccinated yearly to be on the safe side.

halliecat
03-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I have had two cats die of FeLV. (BEFORE the vaccine was available). It was horrible what they had to go through.

Hallie had FeLV has a kitten but the vet would not give her another because she is an indoor kitty.

I would definitely get the vaccine!

K & L
03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
If they have any exposure to outdoors then I would get them vaccinated.

jenluckenbach
03-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Indoor cats, not necessary
Outdoor cats, a definite.
JMO.

Kirsten
03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your opinions.

Looks like this is something that's handled differently in different countries.

I still find it confusing that some vets here don't vaccine outdoor cats!

Kirsten

ChrisH
03-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Ebby is my first cat so I don't know a whole lot about cat vaccination, just about the one(s) she had before she came to live with me (bad miowmie hasn't taken her for any boosters - yet. :o)
Those vaccines are: Feline panleucopaenia, combined Feline viral rhinotrachetis (H) & Feline calicvirus (C), and lastly, FeLV.

Given the fact that in this country most cats are indoor/outdoor, plus, at the time they were given it was not known that Ebby was going to be an indoor cat, I tend to think that over here all cats who are vaccinated are given the FeLV vaccine as a matter or course.

Chris

jazzcat
03-09-2004, 04:54 PM
When I took Ripley to the vet last week for his yearly shots and check up I noticed they are doing something new. They had all my cats files out and they wanted to know if they are indoor only or if they are allowed outside ever. I told them they are all indoor only and they wrote across the top of each of their files Indoor Only in big black letters. I asked why they were doing that and she said their new policy was to give the FeLV vaccination to all cats that are not indoor only cats. I know they can't force you to do it but they must plan to really push it. She said they had brochures for anyone who refused the shot. I imagine this new policy must have come from seeing a rising number of infected cats.

Kirsten
03-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
I asked why they were doing that and she said their new policy was to give the FeLV vaccination to all cats that are not indoor only cats. I know they can't force you to do it but they must plan to really push it. She said they had brochures for anyone who refused the shot. I imagine this new policy must have come from seeing a rising number of infected cats.

That is very interesting!!! I think that's a good policy since according to the articles I've read, from all cat diseases Feline Leukemia is the most common cause of death in cats.

Too bad that so many vets here seem to think it's unecessary! :(

Kirsten