PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Humane Society Shelter

clara4457
03-07-2004, 07:38 PM
What an amazing facility! This is what I would like to see every shelter in the entire world become. The animals here are treated better than they would be a most homes. Here are a couple of pictures of their adoption rooms.

Dog Adoption Room:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/pd12e8b26cbf2c35c48a324b339fa503d/f96971ba.jpg

Cat Adoption Room:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/p1ed574416bf8cad62ee16d741f7a253f/f96971b5.jpg

They also have wonderful facilities for rabbits and other small furries! They have an emergency animal hospital, an behavior and training facility and an agility facility. I understand it is a brand new facility and it is totally supported by donations. What a wonderful acheivement.

Lissa
03-07-2004, 07:49 PM
That is so cool. Wow I love it, and you can see how an animal will be in your house too. Can you just go in the rooms and visit and play with them?

clara4457
03-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Actually you have to be approved to adopt before you are allowed into the rooms. Which is actually better for the dogs as it can be very stressful for them to be used as a petting zoo. :)

They had plenty of human contact though - there were a lot of volunteers there just sitting and petting them. I even saw one lady reading on one of the sofas with the dog laying his head on her lap. The dogs were all quite and calm and obviously well cared for.

green_chameleon_girl
03-07-2004, 08:41 PM
:eek: Thats amazing

ramanth
03-08-2004, 09:22 AM
How wonderful! I'd love all places to do this. :D

anna_66
03-08-2004, 09:29 AM
WOW! What an amazing place!

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I am a volunteer there! Isn't this a fabulous new shelter? The Humane Society moved in to the building last September, and you can definately see how much more calm the animals are now. Each dog has his/her own "apartment" furnished in Ikea furniture, like the picture clara4457 posted. Two or three cats share an apartment, each with a cat tree and plenty of sunshine from the windows and skylights. The goal is both to reduce the animals' stress and to be a model showing how animals should be treated in a home.

This weekend, the Humane Society had their annual Pet-telethon as a fund raiser and adopt-athon. There was such a great turnout!

clara4457, were you in San Diego for a visit?

Corinna
03-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Our hs has high ideas for a simular type of shelter. reality check. Need new management and more common sense. They are a kill shelter agauin after being not for several years. Hello how can we trust you!!!!!!!
It is a nice place in San Deigo there is a great private shelter in Washington state in Conway /stanwood area, maybe some one there could post pics. I've read about it and saw the sign on the freeway when I was home last spring(hubby in hurry Whats new?)

clara4457
03-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Kona & Oreo's mom
clara4457, were you in San Diego for a visit?

Actually I am still in San Diego - I am installing the point of sale system for the clubs, suites and inseat service for Petco park. I will be here until the 15th and then I come back for the first few Padres games in April. I was going to PM you, but when I am on these installs, I am so busy and I never know when I am going to have any free time (and most times I don't have any free time at all).

I have to tell you, I was so impressed with the Humane Society facility, and the way they house the dogs, cats, and other furries. You could just tell how comfortable all the animals were. They looked just like they would in anyone's home - and while I was there I saw quite a few volunteers just sitting and petting and talking to the dogs. I also got to watch a little of the telethon and say how they were able to raise $240,000 in 4 hours
!! WOW :D

You and the people in your city should be so proud of your accomplishments. I have to tell you that if I didn't love Buffalo so much (it is home after all) I would choose to live in San Diego over everywhere else I have visited.

Maybe when I come back in April I will have some more time and we can get together - I am so in the weeds right now with this project, I have been working 12 hours a day - 7 days a week. :(