PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone good at science?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-07-2004, 06:49 PM
I have a tough science question.. can someone maybe explain, or try to help me?

As you lifted the ball to it's drop height, you gave it potential energy. When you dropped the ball, the kinetic energy gained by the ball was not enough to get the ball to bounce back to its original height. Where was energy lost and in what forms does it now exsist?

:confused:

Kfamr
03-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Ohhhhh..... I remember doing stuff like that, if only I remembered how to answer it... ack.... if it comes back to me i'll let you know. :p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-07-2004, 06:56 PM
K... Thanks.

I was never good at science, never will be. I suck at everything except math and english. Hmph.

slleipnir
03-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I haven't done this in a while, but heres how I see it

When the ball hits the floor, energy is released from the bounce which is why it does not bounce to its original height.

slleipnir
03-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Er..does that make sense? Energy would be lost due to friction wouldn't it? And when the ball hits the ground the 'bounce' causes energy to go into the floor...Man I'm the worst explainer lol

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Meh... Audrey you make it sound so easy. :p

Here's another one...

This is about the Humpty Dumpty poem, I hope you know it.

1. Given what you have learned aboutthe laws of thermodynamics, explain what has happened in this poem.

2. In terms of energy conversions, can the kings horses and king's men ever hope to put Humpty together again? Why not, or if so, at what energy cost?

Barbara
03-08-2004, 07:30 AM
When the ball hits the floor part of its energy is taken to deform the ball. Another small part is lost due to friction against the air. A perfectly elastic ball (with no deformation) in a vacuum would bounce as high as to where it came from.

Barbara
03-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Humpty dumpty: The internet has it all. And in this article it is explained much more elegant than what I wanted to write ;)

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1564.htm