PDA

View Full Version : We seem to be at an impasse

Sirrahsim
03-07-2004, 02:21 AM
As of today I haven't tried muffling the doorbell speaker or covering the doorbell button, but now I know that it wouldn't do any good anyway. The little girl from down the hall came by my door today and knocked very softly. I could barely hear it, but apparently Boomer heard it loud and clear:( He ran and hid just as quickly as he does when the doorbell rings. He chose to cram himself behind my husband's night stand this time:( Soooo I dunno what else to do. Do I just except that he's easily excitable or what? :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/pb0df985a197334712a2ef0e307060ab2/f96b919e.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/pbb0aa5c6c95b992cf5f435aafd9d2b9a/f96b919b.jpg

~~ I don't think the hiding thing is really all that bad. I'm sure lots of cats hide at unfamiliar sounds. What concerns me is how upset he gets. His whole body shakes- almost violently at times. Also his heart races soooooooooo fast. That poor little kitty's blood pressure is probably higher than mine:( The door knocking incident was about 20 minutes ago. Boomer will probably hide for at last another hour... maybe two :(

aly
03-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Wow. That is terrible that he gets that upset. How long has this been going on? Did it start suddenly or has it been going on his whole life?

Sirrahsim
03-07-2004, 04:12 AM
I have had Boomer for a little over 8 months and as I recall he has always had this fear. :( The family that I adopted him from said that he has been skittish the entire time they had him as well. I know that they were really nice people, so I'm guessing that either it's just his personality or that something bad happened to him as a kitten:(

~~They adopted him when he was about 4 months old

RedHedd
03-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Mitzi does the same thing. Doorbell or knock, even if it's someone she's met before entering the apartment. She's just a scaredy cat and will hide under the bed or behind the printer for hours. She is getting a teeny-tiny bit better and can be coaxed out - even without treats lately, so I know her trust is growing; albeit ever so slowly. Being a feral rescue, it's just going to take time.

jazzcat
03-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Ripley goes into an all out panic from the doorbell too. Even one on the tv will send him under the bed in the back bedroom. He's been that way his whole 12 years. He's even taught Jazz to run too but she immediately comes back out. He doesn't get quite as upset as Boomer though, poor guy.

Wished I knew something to tell you to help but I don't. Maybe you could go sit with him and reassure him every thing is okay.

Good luck.

kimlovescats
03-07-2004, 12:47 PM
How pitiful ... :( poor Boomer baby!!! I guess just try to talk to him and hold him ... IF you can get to him! How sad, I hope he will eventually get more used to it. Most of my kitties are scared by the door as well, but they don't shake and get as terrified as your poor Boomer!

GOOD LUCK!!! Wish I knew more to tell you!

aly
03-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Shiloh runs and hides when she hears someone knock or hears the doorbell. She recovers very quickly though and doesn't shake or anything.

While I am against medicating animals for behavioral purposes, sometimes I think it is just necessary. Maybe your vet can prescribe something that will calm his nerves for a few weeks while you desensitize him to the doorbell sound?

Or maybe you can try Rescue Remedy in his water? Rescue Remedy is all natural.

catmandu
03-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Michael , and Princess still be very upset , when I imitate the apartment buzzer , and that was over ten years ago!And the Cats are better , as they got to know the CatSitters and thw AWA ladies!

rg_girlca
03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
My Katie girl, who is 12 years old now, still runs and hides in my room when the doorbell rings or people come into the house. She isn't as scared as poor Boomer is, but I go in my room and comfort her for a few minutes and she will stay in there for quite some time before she feels it's safe enough to come out.

It is pitiful to see poor Boomer so scared like that though. Give him hugs and kissies for me.

prechrswife
03-07-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice, but I can offer my sympathy. Samson does the same thing as Boomer anytime anyone besides my husband or me comes into the house. It doesn't matter if they ring the doorbell, knock, or walk in with us. In fact, we've joked that people may not believe us when we say we have 3 cats because no one ever sees Samson. We get excited about small steps. The other day, he actually walked into the room where I was tutoring a student. Samson walked over his food dish and had a little snack, like nothing unusual was going on. I almost fell out of the chair when I saw him!

catnapper
03-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Poor Boomer! Poor meowmine!

Thats got to be heartbreaking to see him so afraid of the slightest sound. He sure does have himslef wedged in there. Poor sweet guy.

Sirrahsim
03-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all of your replies and comfort. It is sad to see him so scared:( It's good to know that he's not the only kitty who gets freaked out at noises. I've thought about getting some rescue remedy, but I can't get it over here. I have an order that I'm planning from petsmart.com, do they stock it? If they do I may just have to try that to mellow about my little boy:) Thanks so much

rosethecopycat
03-07-2004, 08:35 PM
My advice-

Get some favorite treats out and some gentle noise makers, such as bells, etc.

Try to get him to associate rewards with these sounds.

Especially when the door bell goes off, find him and leave him a treat, before tending to the door.

Best of luck

Laura's Babies
03-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Chester is sceared of the sounds the storm door makes. But, he can be at the kitchen window and see "Rie-Rie" pull up and he will jump down and run to the front door... Sometime he don't move while she opens it, other times he runs half way down the hall and waits until he hears her voice.. (Rie-Rie is my daughter that keeps him and that is what we call her with him) Sometimes she calls and tells me she is coming over and I can tell him "Rie Rie is coming!" and he will go sit at the door and wait for her. With everyone else, he runs and dissapears, but if it is a man, he will come back and demand the man admire and pet him. The girls don't seem to mind the door at all..

Those pictures of your baby are so touching though, hidding behind the furniture..Poor baby..

sirrahbed
03-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Missy - I have some Rescue Remedy for Boomer and will bring it when I come. Petsmart did not have it but found it at an herbal store. Petsmart had the Feliway though. Do you want me to get that, too? It comes in plugs and spray. The directions said it was more for spraying problems tho...
Mom

Sirrahsim
03-08-2004, 02:55 PM
nah, feliway is pretty expensive, if nothing else I'd like to try the rescue remedy first:) Thank you so much! I can't wait till you guys get here:):):):)

Logan
03-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Part of me is thinking "Good for him" that you don't have to worry about him escaping out the door when you open it, but poor boy, I know you do worry when he is so frightened. I hope the Rescue Remedy will help. And your mother is coming!! Yippee!!! I know you will be happy about that!!! :)

nibblets
03-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Poor baby...I hope you find some help so he won't be so frightened.

sirrahbed
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I hope the Rescue Remedy will help. And your mother is coming!! Yippee!!! I know you will be happy about that!!! :)

:D We are just hoping the stress of house guests is not too much on poor Boomer!! We are all wondering how he will act:rolleyes: Hubby and I are both kitty friendly and calm so are keeping our fingers crossed. Surely he can't hide for ten days!!