PDA

View Full Version : anyones dog other than mmine lick their wounds????

Truffles
03-06-2004, 08:39 PM
hey,

ok i know sick question:p but its true :( truffles tends to lick my wounds.i try not to let her lick them but some times i forget i even have them till she starts licking:rolleyes: its certainly not good for a wound to get licked but i'm wondering is this good for truffles?????????if not then how do i get her to break this habbit?????????any thoughts to this are welcome ,thanks and take care :)

marylyn

Kfamr
03-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Actually, i've heard that it is good for a dog to lick a wound because their mouths are really clean.

I'm not sure if it's good for the dog itself though.

lovemyshiba
03-07-2004, 03:53 PM
I think it is good for a dog to lick the wounds--they do it to themselves all the time!!
I'm not sure how it is for them though, but I would imagine as long as it's not an open wound it can't be that bad for them.

tikeyas_mom
03-11-2004, 01:39 PM
supposedly bites by a human upon a human are more likely to get infected than bites by a dog. The other is that if a dog licks a wound, it is less likely to get infected. There are multiple variables to consider here, including: the immune status of the person, the degree of penetration of the wound, the location of the wound, and probably most importantly, the type of bacteria involved.

As far as dogs licking things, the latest recommendations on wound treatment is to flush the wound thoroughly daily, even with plain tap water, and then change the bandage frequently. No antibiotic dressing helps better than frequent hydrotherapy. I think it is the mechanical action of the dog's licking that helps rather than any antibacterial properties possessed by dog spit.
Was that to confusing? lol

04-03-2004, 01:07 PM
dont worry It's natural my dog does it to.Its perfectly safe.:cool: :D :)

sweet_stormy
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
my dog doesnt lick any people wounds. she licks her own. and the only time she licks someone on the hand is when they are petting her and they have food smells on their hands.