PDA

View Full Version : A Ripley story

jazzcat
03-06-2004, 02:34 PM
I told my husband about the naw-tee kitty contest and he reminded one of Ripley's antics. By the way, this is not an attempt to get votes, just funny.

Back in 2001 my brother got married in TX and a few months later they came to Tennessee for a visit. I decided to give them a Newlyweds Reception since he has a lot of family and friends here who couldn't go to the wedding. Anyway, as part of the reception I got a huge full sheet cake made. I picked it up the afternoon before the reception and kept it here at my house on the dining table. That night about midnight my husband and I were watching tv and we heard a funny noise come from the dining room. I ran into the dining room to find a hole in the top of the box of the cake with a very large paw print sunk into the cake. I then followed the white icing trail off the dining table, across the carpet and it ended behind a chair where I found Ripley licking cake icing off his hind foot.

Needless to say I was hysterically upset. It was only one foot print but it was large and the cake was a mess. After getting no sleep I ended up taking the cake back to the bakery at 7 am the next morning and they repaired it by filling it in with icing and making it look like the rest of the cake. We marked the area so no one else would notice and it would photograph well but I would know which part not to serve.

At the reception I had someone to cut the cake but I insisted on doing it myself. When I got to the area where Riplely had stepped I cut out that whole section, put it on a platter and had my husband sneak it off to the the trash. No one was the wiser.

Finally this past Christmas I told my family about it. They laughed, for the most part.

Just had to share.

koxka
03-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Finally this past Christmas I told my family about it. They laughed, for the most part.

Wondering about ....the rest of them :D

Hey, Ripley , who could blame you as far ALL know food on a table is for eating.Right?!? :D :D

catnapper
03-06-2004, 03:41 PM
See, thats why I always figured Ripley to be a Naw-Tee kitty! Has he managed to leave all other cakes alone since then - or has he become addicted to icing's sugary sweetness?

sirrahbed
03-06-2004, 03:45 PM
*I* would have fought for that piece with all the icing:D :D

jazzcat
03-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Ripley still loves cake icing but I've learned to not give him the opportunity to try it again.

I hope nobody thinks I'm bad for serving the cake. If you know how big a full size sheet cake is you can see where I was able to throw away a huge area without a problem. Actuallly we served off the other side so no one was eating from anywhere near that damaged area. Honestly, I and my husband feel that what we served was not contaminated. I just had my back against the wall with no time to order another cake.

sirrahbed
03-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
I hope nobody thinks I'm bad for serving the cake.
Oh Lori! There was nothing wrong with that!! Besides, the cake was probably fine to eat anyway. You were more than careful!! Silly woman!!:D :D

trayi52
03-06-2004, 04:34 PM
It seems Ripley loves leaving those paw prints around in unusual places! What a boy! He is Naw-tee! That is so funny! I can imagine how you felt as you was serving the cake!

Willie

jazzcat
03-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks deb.

Willie - by the time the reception started I was so exhausted that I had the giggles. It was so hard not to laugh when people would tell me the cake was good or everything was so nice. I was so slap happy.

On top of everything else I threw a BBQ cookout at my parent's house for all my family right after the reception. We had about 35-40 people at that. I had several come ask if there was any of that reception cake left but I just wouldn't serve it. Luckily I had other desserts there.

If that wasn't enough - I know I keep dragging this story out - two days before the reception I went white water rafting in the Smoky Mountains for the first time and I fell out of the raft and got drug along rock before getting pulled back in. I was bruised on my right side from my shoulder to my mid thigh. I could hardly move. I still don't know how I got through everything. I'm getting the giggles right now just thinking back.

jaqi
03-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Ripley you Naw-tee thing... you didn't know the cake was for the wedding, did you, you thought it was your very own cake left there because your mommy loves you so very much... and i'll bet you wondered why mommy didn't bring you back *your* piece with all the tasty icing:p

Next time Ripley just eat the whole cake at once (and get very very fat) ;)

RICHARD
03-06-2004, 06:02 PM
If you can't have your cake and eat it too..

Thrash the frosting....
:D

Cinder & Smoke
03-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
.. by the time the reception started
I was so exhausted that I had the giggles.

It was so hard not to laugh when people would tell me
the cake was good or everything was so nice.

Dawg Tail...

We had Lady, a fluffy lil Pom/Mix Rescue, while I was in HS.

Folks were hosting a Dinner Party for friends...
Mom was slaving in the kitchen with a BIG, fancy, roast or ham...

Lady was helping Mom - CONSTANTLY underfoot and *sniffing*
at the oven every time Mom opened it to tend the meat...
They "agreed" that Lady could STAY on her rug beside
the breakfast table...

Meat "done" - it was placed on the platter - ON the breakfast table -
to "rest" a few moments...

Mom, busy with side dishes, salads, and rolls -
was NOT *watching* her 4-legged Assistant -

Who hopped up on a breakfast table chair,
then hopped up ON :eek: the breakfast table...
and began to "sample" the Main Course! :rolleyes:

Everyone else was in the living room - when we heard the
familiar "*STOMP*" of Mom's foot on the floor followed by
by a rather loud "OH, LADY!!" ( :mad: )

Lady proceded to Beat Feet upstairs to seek refuge under my bed;
while Dad went to the kitchen to "calm" Mom...

It was decided to "surgicaly remove" the sampled area
and re-brown the meat a few more minutes to "hide the evidence".

Dad was instruced to "carve" from the Other End -
and NO ONE needed to know anything more! :p

I still don't know if Mom ever admitted to their friends what
had happened - But she was ready to KILL Dad -
His "banter" throughout dinner was along the lines of...
This roast sure SHRUNK...
I'm SURE it was bigger when it went IN the oven...
Looks like someone carved a hunk off here...
And there's a few potatoes missing...
Lady, (laying in HER spot beside the phone table) do YOU know anything??"

Mom kept trying to Change The Subject.
Sis and I kept *giggling*.
The Guests kept saying How Good dinner was!
And Lady didn't eat much of her Krunchies that night.

:D
/s/ Phred

catcrazylady
03-06-2004, 06:36 PM
ROFLOL!!!!! I think you were brilliant in saving the day!!! I'm not sure if I would have thought fast enough to have figured out how to handle the situation! You poor thing having to go through all of that at one time!
Ripley you are lucky that meowmie is laughing about that today!! You silly nawtee boy!!

Jazzcat you made me remember a story from way back. I think I was in the sixth grade and it was my turn to bring a desert. My mom was in a Better Crocker mood and baked a cake. She painstakingly wrote the name of each kid in my class and scattered it all over the cake. It was really cute! We had a parakeet at the time named Romeo. Not thinking we let him out of his cage and he flew right to the cake! He walked all over it! It was covered in bird tracks. My mom made me take it anyway and she told me to tell them that it was part of the decoration and not to mention Romeo!!!
NAWTEE BIRD!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catnapper
03-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Of course I don't think bad of you for serving the cake. All pet owners at one time have had to do somethng similar... Allen LOVES ham. Last Easter, my husband decided to try using a crock-pot instead of baking the ham (by the way - YUM... it was so juicy.) We left the lid off the ham and thought nothing of it until I walked into the kitchen to refill my parent's sodas and saw Allen nice-as-can-be dipping his paw into the (cooled down) crock pot and licking the ham juices off his paw.:p I lifted my bad boy off the counter and put the lid back on the crock pot. I whispered to my hubby what happened and left it a secret to my parents & his family.:D We had a nice giggle over it later.

Its not as if nobody else has ever done it!

jazzcat
03-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Okay, after those stories I don't feel so bad.

CCL - I love the cake and Romeo story - cute!
Phred - I would have been laughing through that whole dinner.
Catnapper - Allen's a smart boy. With yummy ham how could he pass it up. I can picture him dipping his paws.:D

Barbara
03-07-2004, 07:11 AM
My parents late dachshund, Amsel, once found a Christmas cake (lots of yeast and butter and raisins) which stood for chilling in the spare room. To my opinion dachshunds are the winners of all nawteeness contests, so she went there and ate it! And with all the fresh yeast and about 3 lb of cake she nearly died:(

She survived and was as nawtee as ever but that story really gave us all a shock:eek:

smokey the elder
03-07-2004, 07:19 AM
I worked with a lady who had two cats named Mouse and Rat. (Don't ask...I don't know.):D Anyway, one Thanksgiving the remains of the turkey were on the counter, and the guests were in the living room watching football. S. heard a noise coming out of the kitchen, and went to investigate. Protruding from the carcass cavity was...a striped tail!!

She evicted the cat and disposed of the evidence, and carefully monitored the cats for any turkey bone related problems. (There were none.)

At work when she told me this story, I had a soda, and I almost spritzed it all over her!!:D

aki
03-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Luckily, Chuck dosen't like people food too much so we never really have any problems. But my sister's cat Trickie stole her husband's baked potato off his plate once when he got up from the table for a second. I guess they were eating at their coffee table. He comes back and it's gone. Trickie is under the sofa growling and hissing at him and wasn't about to give it up. Her husband ended up letting him have it rather than be torn up. Trickie ate the whole thing!

Twink
03-08-2004, 03:37 PM
These are great stories. :D I'm going to giggle every time I see a turkey, ham or cake for the next week!

One of my college roommates has a big grey tabby named Marty. Now, I love that cat to pieces, and he's half of the reason that I decided that I wanted one of my own, but I gotta tell ya...that cat was a stinker if there ever was one. But I never gave him much credit for brains. He was more of a bite/attack naw-tee type than a prankster. But then one day I discovered that he was, indeed, smart enough to steal a march on his humans.

My then-boyfriend-now-husband and I were eating lunch in my apt. one day. The roomies were gone, but Marty was still there, of course. We'd made sandwiches, and were sitting on the couch eating them. The fixin's were still out on the kitchen counter. (I was under the mistaken impression that Mr. Marty had gotten too *cough* rotund to do any counter-leaping) So, halfway through our lunch, we heard suspicious noises from the kitchen. We went to check it out, and found rotund, naw-tee Marty on the counter, chowing down on the pile of turkey cold cuts. We told him "no," and took him off the counter. Salvaged what meat we could and put it back in the fridge. Threw the rest of the scraps away. Went back to eating our sandwiches.

When we were done, hubby had to go home, so I went to walk him out. And there, in the hallway, two rooms away from the kitchen, was Marty, scarfing down a couple of slices of turkey. To this day, I have NO idea how he managed to get the turkey out there, or to hide it from us while we were cleaning up the kitchen after his inital thievery! I was very, very impressed. :D