PDA

View Full Version : What's allowed on an airplane??

CountryWolf07
03-06-2004, 02:00 PM
I am going to Florida on Friday, and I was wondering what was allowed and what wasn't allowed? ALSO are *film* for the camera, SAFE to take, too as well? Thanks! It's been 8 years since I've flown and I know a lot of things have changed.

popcornbird
03-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Do you mean *in* the cabin? We take our digital camera inside the cabin all the time. I'm not sure about film, but I would think its ok. It depends on the airline too. You cannot take anything *sharp*, like scissors/tweezers or anything or that sort. Nothing dangerous.

Moose
03-06-2004, 02:17 PM
As Poppy said, nothing sharp...that means no nail clippers, no tweezers, no nada. :p;) I think that is their main concern...at least as far as I'm concerned.

You can take film and stuff, but I think if there is stuff on it and you send it through the x-ray thingy in the security area, the film can get erased. I know they have signs right in front of there though. :)

Also, don't get stressed if someone stops you and asks to check your bag...in my experience, they just kind of pick random people and search through your things. A security guy stopped Josh last time we were at the airport just before we were about to get on our plane. :o Although, I'm not complaining...I'm glad they've stepped things up. :)

My last bit of advice...don't wear a bra with underwire!!!! :p When I went to Chicago for the 2004 New Years, I made that mistake. I had to walk through the metal detector about five times before they decided to pull me aside and use the hand detector on me. We finally figured out it was the underwire in my bra...:eek::o:eek:

Oh! And, I'm not sure if they do this everywhere, but the security people at the metal detectors had you remove your shoes if they were closed toes.

Hope this helped!! :D

G.P.girl
03-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Moose
We finally figured out it was the underwire in my bra...:eek::o:eek:

hahaha i'll have to remember that next time i fly!:p

popcornbird
03-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Moose

My last bit of advice...don't wear a bra with underwire!!!! :p When I went to Chicago for the 2004 New Years, I made that mistake. I had to walk through the metal detector about five times before they decided to pull me aside and use the hand detector on me. We finally figured out it was the underwire in my bra...:eek::o:eek:

Oh yes. Ditto on that. Trust me.................travelling without any metallic objects on clothing makes going through security SO much easier! When I travel, I make sure not to wear anything with snaps/hooks/zippers/etc. Zippers usually beep, and if they're in a place that's very visible, it shouldn't be a problem..........BUT, I like to go through the metal detector and hear NO beeps, so I avoid wearing any beeping objects. When we travelled, we had an orange alert throughout the country, so even after passing through security, they had security at the gates that everyone had to pass through before entering the plane. It was kind of wierd, but it made travelling feel so much safer. They were checking EVERYONE at that time..........not random searches. Every single person. That was because of the orange alert, otherwise they do check people randomly.

They have signs before security as to what you can't take inside, so you'll know before you head for the metal detectors. :p Nothing to worry about. The most they'll ask you is to take off your shoes.

CountryWolf07
03-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Wow, thanks Brooke!

Another question, do you have to put your carry on bag THROUGH the x-ray thingy?

popcornbird
03-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
Wow, thanks Brooke!

Another question, do you have to put your carry on bag THROUGH the x-ray thingy?

Yes of course. EVERYTHING goes through the x-ray thing..........even your jacket/coat. :p

CountryWolf07
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Aww.. Alright.. Thanks! :)

Randi
03-06-2004, 03:13 PM
When I travelled last year (within Europe) the y wanted me to open my videorecorder AND turn it on!! No damage though. :)

The only thing you have to worry about is taking sharp objects on to the flight. Pack them in your suitcase! ;)

smokey the elder
03-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I can vouch for the bra. I had an interview in Pittsburgh in 2002. I took off all my jewelry, shoes, and it still beeped! I sure hope the little hooks don't set it off. Homeland Insecurity: you DON'T want to see me without a bra!:D ;) :p

Moose
03-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
Homeland Insecurity: you DON'T want to see me without a bra!:D ;) :p

LOL! :D

4 Dog Mother
03-06-2004, 06:51 PM
When I went to see Christy in Texas in January, they unpacked my bags both going and coming home. Going, they did it in front of me, and took EVERYTHING out of my bags. That was right after they were cancelling flights from overseas to the USA. I had some baby stuff in the first place but since I now knew it was a girl I bought a bunch of stuff at the last minute. A friend sent a wrapped gift and they even unwrapped it. Anyway the bag was packed FULL and after they got it all out they couldn't get it all back IN. And they wouldn't let me touch anything. It took two of them to get the back repacked - and I have to tell you I was afraid the zipper would give before I got to Texas!!!

My purse and and carryon went through the x-ray - and they went through them. Just kind of rummaged through my purse but took everything out of my backpack. I was wearing a coat, and had to take that off. If you are wearing anything but tennis shoes (or possibly sandals) your shoes come off. You have to take any change, keys, or metal objects out of pockets and put them in a tray. After I went through the metal detector they still make you stand with your feet on some marks and then pass a wand over your body and yes, the hooks on the back of my bra set it off - the woman doing the wand just kind of pressed on my back to see if it was that. I guess this old granny looked pretty dangerous:D

In my carryon I had a camera with 800 speed film. That has to be hand checked as it will damage it to go through the x-ray. Any film below 800 speed should be okay going through the x-ray.

On the way home, I had some boxed gifts in my carry on and they took them out of the boxes to check them out. Everything came out of my carry on. I didn't think they had unpacked my suitcases but when I got home I found a printed note saying they had - which I knew cause what I had put on the bottom was now on top.

I swear the next time I fly I am taking nothing as a carry on but a book and my digital camera! ( but that was also because I had to change terminals in Chicago and Dallas and it was just a hassle with a heavy carryon.

clara4457
03-06-2004, 07:39 PM
I travel all the time and airports vary, but I can give you a few tips to speed the process up.

[list=1]Always have your ID available and ready to show at every check point (I actually have one that I keep in the ticket jacket so that it is always available.

Always take your shoes off and put them through the xray machine. Some shoes have metal in their soles.

Don't wear a belt - but if you do take it off and put it through the xray machine.

Do not lock your checked baggage. They will break the locks and search it if it is locked.

Try to pack most items into your checked luggage. If the plane if full - overhead space in always tight. If you can, only take a bag that will fit under the seat.

Have fun on your trip!

Be careful of what you pack in carry on luggage - I have had cuticle sissors confiscated before. One time I saw someone that had to give up their wine opener because it has a small knife.

Pack a lunch - most airlines do not offer food on the flights. Some will offer a meal for sale, but it is usually expensive and not very good.

If you are taking a laptop, you will need to remove it from the bad and put it through xray seperately.

Get to the airport at least 1 1/2 hours before your flight leaves. Depending on when you leave you might want to go even earlier. If your flight is leaving between 6:30 am - 9am the airports have a great many flights leaving at that time (especially Mondays and Fridays when business travel is the heaviest.[/list=1]

You still might have to go through the wanding thing (they randomly pick people to aggressively search) - but if you do the above things it will generally speed up the security process.:D

CountryWolf07
03-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Wow, thanks for the tips! I am not allowed to go through the metal detector, because I have an cochlear implant, so I have a card to prove that, so they will have to let me go around.

Aspen and Misty
03-07-2004, 01:50 PM
My friends who recently went to Jamica on a mission trip were aloud to bring Machedies (SP) back with them. Some had 5 in one bag :eek: but almost all of there bags (10 of them) had at LEAST one machedie, sometimes 2, or 3 aor 4!! I'm really surprised that they weren't taken from them but, I guess thats the thing to do when you go to Jamica :confused:

Good luck on trip! Enjoy it!!

Ash :D

ramanth
04-27-2005, 03:34 PM
This thread has been helpful as I'm leaving for San Fran on Saturday.

I haven't flown since 1998.

I'm prepared to take my shoes off if I have too.

In my carry-on I'm packing a change of clothes, my toothbrush, contacts, a book, Discman, hotel confirmation, and digital camera.

Think I'll be okay?

PJ's Mom
04-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Sounds good. :p

If security is anything there like it was in Vegas, you'll have to get your ID checked in more than one spot, so keep it and your boarding pass handy. It saves you a lot of hassle. :)

I'm excited for you! :D