PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know rather to laugh or be concerned...

Tonya
03-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Today, I was driving down a busy street. It's 5 lanes and about 45 mph speedlimit, so of course, people go about 55 mph. This girl was in an electric wheelchair, jamming down the middle of the right lane. I was concerned that she might get ran over, so I pulled over to talk to her. I realized that she was riding to fast for me to catch her, so I got back in my truck and pulled up next to her. I shouted "Excuse me, mam?" (In a polite tone, I was going to suggest the sidewalk or the bike lane at the very least.) She flipped me off and kept going. lol. In the mean time, she was causing a huge traffic diversion. People were slamming on their brakes and merging to go around her. Did she think she was driving a car?! Oh well. I tried!

CathyBogart
03-05-2004, 04:19 PM
0.o That's a new one on me....

catnapper
03-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Don't know what to say! People are just nuts anymore.

But this reminded me of my son's driver's permit test. He failed it, but blamed it on the one question that went like this:
You are driving down the street and come across a blind pedestrian. What do you do?
a) slow down and proceed with caution
b) stop, get out and offer assistance
c) speed up and pass

My son answered B: stop and help.:D

Hey, at least a raised a concerned young man. A bad driver, but a sweet boy.:)

Rottieluver45
03-05-2004, 09:59 PM
LOL!! That`s what you get when you help PEOPLE!! :D

catnapper, is thje answer A?

I might get my permit over spring break. I`m practicing :D

Corinna
03-05-2004, 10:20 PM
we have had this problem here in our town we have a couple of wheelchair bound people. We passed an ordinace to keep it from being a problem.. They must stay on the sidewalks or the bike lanes. If not they can be ticketed . If they do get a complaint they get an ticket right a way.

Tonya
03-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I've seen wheelchair bound people cruise down the road before. But this was one of the busiest and most major streets in Modesto. (Wolfchan, I don't know if you remember the main road, Standiford that you came up, but that's what I'm talking about.) I couldn't believe it! She was in the middle of the lane! I was only trying to be helpful.

Rottieluver45
03-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Maybe she thought you were gonna stop to make fun of her b/c of her disability. :confused:

Tonya
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45
Maybe she thought you were gonna stop to make fun of her b/c of her disability. :confused:

More then likely. My mom works with disabled people. I've met some that have bad attitudes. They assume the entire world has bad intentions. I can't really blame them, I know they go through more then I'd ever imagine.

popcornbird
03-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Was this on an expressway?!?! :eek: What was she thinking? That is both funny and something to be concerned about at the same time! :p

Tonya
03-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Was this on an expressway?!?! :eek: What was she thinking? That is both funny and something to be concerned about at the same time! :p

Exactly. It was a funny site watching her flip me off as she was jamming down the road...with cars darting around her. That's some confidence! But on the same line, I was very concerned. But i figured that if she's well enough to flip me off, she's well enough to make her own decisions. Her attitude gave me the impression that she was doing it on purpose.

Modesto is a lame town with no road planning. It's used as an expressway, but it's just a busy road. We have no expressways going through our city.

CountryWolf07
03-05-2004, 11:53 PM
I am really sorry, but I find that humorous.. I'll tell you something, disabled people have their pride.. they keep it in, and ignore the help.. not everyone who has a disability wants help..