PDA

View Full Version : Am I being fleeced?

Twink
03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
So, I wanted to ask everyone's opinions about this, because you guys KNOW cat care!

My (well, Rizzo's) vet office called me today to say that Rizz is due for a checkup. It's only been 6 months since the last time he was to the vet. They said that they like to do checkups every 6 months instead of yearly, becauase cats age so quickly, blah blah blah. And they said he's due for a b-something vaccination (some sort of URI). And they wanted to take a fecal sample and deworm him. I flat-out refused the fecal sample unless there's something wrong with him that needs further investigation, b/c I will NOT have my baby traumatized in such a manner for no good reason (he hates that particular procedure like nothing else in the world. You've never heard such yowling.). And they said fine, but they still like to deworm pets, even strictly indoors ones, every 6 months b/c humans can bring parasites in from the outdoors.

Now, I'm all for keeping his vaccinations up-to-date of course, but is the deworming really necessary? He's always inside, and we have no other pets. And we don't drag mud clods in with us. And does anyone else's vet reccomend 6-month checkups? I'm going to take Rizzo in this time, b/c he just turned a year old, and he's my first cat, and I'm still a nervous mommy and want someone to tell me he's healthy. But after this? Would I be wrong to say yearly checkups only? He HATES the vet. He's very good during appointments, but he's never quite the same for a few days afterward.

What do you guys think? I trust your judgment b/c I KNOW that everyone here has their kitties' welfares first in their minds. How often to your cats visit the white coats?

sirrahbed
03-05-2004, 10:51 AM
I have never heard of a 6 month check up. Also, worm checks are only done on my animals as kittens, if they have a history of parasites and if there is some indication of a problem. Also, it is not necessary to take a rectal sample. You can bring in a stool sample from the box and have it float checked for worms and other parasites. Why subject the animal to a rectal? Is that what they do?? Emily has had worms twice and so of course we have to have all the kitties take the medication, but it is a powerful drug and I sure would not use it unless a stool sample indicated worms. Yearly is all my vet has ever suggested to me...except as kittens they have their series. Any others out there? This does NOT sound right to me...

Laura's Babies
03-05-2004, 10:59 AM
This don't sound right to me either. Yearly is enough and since your baby is just a year now, I would do that one but let them know that I will not do every 6 months. My vet only does the rectal thing if I say there is a problem, a sample from the litter box is what you can do if you only have one kitty in the house. Sounds fishy to me....Is business slow there or something?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm probably the wrong person to be answering this question since the only time I've taken T & P in to the vet was when they needed it. Now I take them in every 6 months because they have "issues" because they are older, but that's another story.

I'm just responding because I think it sounds a little odd myself. Since I have old cats, I don't remember how often you need to take them in as kittens, but I do know that once they have all their booster shots it's only once a year that they really need a checkup. I've never heard of 6 month checkups "because they age so quickly." I know a lot of people here take their kitties in once a year, and I know most vets recommend once a year.

Since Rizzo is just a year old, it might be good to take him in, like you said, just to be sure he's up to date on everything he needs to be, but then in my opinion, once a year is plenty.

kimlovescats
03-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a penny-hungry vet to me!!!:rolleyes: If your kitty has had all of his 1st year vaccinations, then he should be plenty well for at least a year!!! In fact, they are warning against over vaccinating your cats now! If your kitty is indoors all the time, and especially around no other pets, then yearly vaccines aren't even necessary, PROVIDED he/she DID get ALL the 1st kitten shots and tested and vaccinated against Felv, and FIV! (Feline Leukemia and Aids)

Hope this helps!;)

Barbara
03-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Filou and Tigris have never been dewormed -being inside kitties. They keep their weight and are healthy.

I used to take them to the vet once a year but have started to do it every 2 years as I think they shouldn't be vaccinated too often ( I have read a lot of stuff about that and my vet says it's ok for indoor kitties).

Have you never met a human doctor (e.g. a gyn) who wanted to see you more often? Most of the time if you ask them whether you really need it they say no.

lv4dogs
03-05-2004, 01:57 PM
I worked as a vet tech at a couple vets, for years & years as well as volunteer at shelters (for even more years & throughout many states) and never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a money hungry vet.

I only vaccinate for the first few years, every year than after that only every other to every third year. As long as there are no symptoms I would not de-worm, also IF needed get a fresh sample from the litter box, it is easier, cleaner & less stressful on your cat. (they also sometimes charge more for rectals, another thing that makes me wonder if they are all about $$$). Especially if its an indoor only cat & does not come in contact w/ other animals.

sirrahbed
03-05-2004, 05:05 PM
This topic has been irritating me today. The more I think of it, the more annoyed I am. For many years , we used a military veterinarian for our animals. The fee was always minimal and of course the veterinarians were military and not working for profit. Their policy was minimal vaccinations for healthy animals. We did not even have to have rabies for indoor animals unless the current county of residence required it. The last military vet we used told us not to bother bringing in our geriatric cats unless they were ill because a vet visit was more stress than they needed. Even our current civilian (for profit) vet suggests yearly and no rabies unless the kitties go outside. No rectals are done - we just bring in a sample from the box and then when Emily had worms, he treated Eliot also without a test or visit fee because they shared food, bedding and litterbox. Why subject a baby to this procedure just to be cautious??? Besides being stressful, the place has germs and sick animals - no matter HOW careful they are! Doctor's offices are the perfect place to get sick! I have been called a noncompliant mother by my fleshkids' doctors and I guess I would be the very same for my furkids. It is good to bring Rizzo in as he is a year old - good time for a check up and to have the peace of a clean bill of health, but unless there is a concern - I think the six month check-up is not right at all. Maybe it is a good and careful vet, but I think it is excessive. End of rant.

catland
03-05-2004, 05:35 PM
I also don't see the need for a six month visit. Sirrahbed makes an excellent point - my cats also get stressed out when they have to go to the vet. One of the reasons I've chosen my current vet is because it is so close to my house.

My little girl Jan has peed or pooped in her cat carrier the last two times that I've taken her in. Sid moans like I'm stabbing him. So yes, I try to keep vet visits to a minimum.

QueenScoopalot
03-05-2004, 07:09 PM
It sounds really hokey to me also. With feline vaccinination related carcinomas cropping up right and left the last several years, I only get rabies for my cats every 3 years now. I do the kittens series for FVRCP myself (I do rescuing, and have been hit with panleulopenia one to many times) of two shots 3-4 weeks apart. Are you in a small town? This reminds me of a dentist my husband saw many years ago, that said hubs needed to have his wisdom teeth out right away! It turned out Doc was taking a vacation, and needed extra cash. Needless to say, hubby's teeth were fine for 10+ years after that visit, and the Dr. lost a client!

smokey the elder
03-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Sounds bogus to me.

rkidsrcats
03-06-2004, 07:58 AM
This is a great thread - thanks for posting all the vet advice and for asking the question in the first place. I'm especially interested in the thoughts about vaccinations. All my guys are strictly indoor kitties- 3 have NEVER been outside except for shoulder rides on the deck. I started reading more about it before our little female kitty, Roady, died. She had kidney problems and one of the things my vet told me was to not vaccinate her every year to reduce the stress on her already weak immune system. Our dog Fiona is also a victim of kidney disease and I don't have her vaccinated either for the same reason.
Anyway, with the other guys, they are all healthy and I haven't had them to the vet since last year and none of them, except Pippin, the 1 yr old, have been re-vaccinated for anything in 2 years. The stress of going seems to cause more problems!
I try to read as much as I can about what is recommended, but it gets confusing when talking about all the potential diseases out there. Its good to read that others seem to feel the same about backing off from lots of vaccinations.

catmandu
03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Taht sounds a little od , to me as well ,as the only Cats that my vet recommends , for every 6 months are Older Cats , who are showing signs that they might be developing something.And I dont like it , when they try to make you feel guilty , that is unethical! Every six months ,sounds like a lot for a young Cat.

sirrahbed
03-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Here I am still ranting. I hate this guilt thing that some money hungry vets use on us. I am blessed with a vet who lets ME make decisions like this. For example, RB Ernie was in renal failure. I could have brought him in for bloodwork to monitor his deterioration and given him sub-q fluids to prolong his life but I CHOSE not to add to his stress with vet visits. He died naturally in his sleep and never showed signs of pain. Maybe I could have kept him a few weeks, months - longer. Who knows? But he HATED going to the vets and my CHOICE was to spare him the stress. He was 17 and had a pampered and good life. RB Bert - Missy and I took him in to be PTS because he had cancer and was showing his pain and was very weak and not eating. He died while we held him. He was also 17 or 18. I keep vet visits to a minimum unless I feel worried about something, and then I am the first to take them in. (remember Emily's *tumor* :D ?) it was F A T

catcrazylady
03-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Sirrahbed, did this thread hit a nerve?http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif j/k
I agree with everything that everyone here has said. I am probably wrong but I don't take my babies unless it is too be fixed or if they are sick. I'm sure as they age it may increase some but to me its not worth the stress for them. I get their kitten vaccinations and that is it.

Here is food for thought...My hubby was born into a very poor family. His momma didn't make it to the hospital when he was born. She had eight kids and he is the only one that was born at home. He didn't go to the doctor and he never got any baby shots or vaccinations (it wasn't a law back then). All of his brothers and sisters got their baby shots and initial vaccinations. Now, hubby NEVER got any childhood diseases and was NEVER sick! He was even quarentined in the house when his WHOLE family got some kind of sickness. All the kids also had chicken pocs (sp?) and mumps. He never got it! The worst thing my hubby has to deal with is rotten sinuses and most of that comes from having a broken nose many years ago. The screwed up bone doesn't allow for proper drainage. He has always told me that he truly believes that because he never recieved all those shots is why he doesn't get sick. He REALLY TRULY does not understand what it is like to be sick.
Maybe he is just lucky or maybe there is something to it. All I know is that it doesn't make for a very compassionate hubby when your sick because he really doesn't know what it feels like!!

jazzcat
03-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I do take mine in for yearly check ups and vaccinations but there was about 3 years where I did not take Ripley because I felt the stress of going was too hard on him and he never goes outside. But then I started thinking about what if he did accidently get out. We have all kinds of wild animals in our back yard so I decided to keep his shots currents, especially since rabies is required in our county.

My dog is a different story, I would never be lax on her vaccinations. Even though she is a 10 pound house dog she thinks she's a huge guard dog and she attacks all the wild animals in our backyard. She actually bit a fox once.

leslie flenner
03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Don't know if this is useful as you are a first time mom but:
a couple years ago, my vet told me that it's believed that the 1st distemper vaccine and the booster last a life time. I had already heard that about rabies vaccine and asked about that and was told, yes, it's good for a life time but there are these state laws...(so if one of my cats were to show up at the vets with a major wound, they would have to go through 6 month quarenteen..) Well, none of my cats go out, I can't offord the office visit for all my cats (and QueenScoopalot can't do my distemper vaccines because they hide from everyone..) and so I only go to the vet when someone isn't feeling well, etc. NOT for vaccines and certainly not for fecals! If i were still an active foster home, of course things would be different, but I haven't fostered in nearly a year. I'm not going to traumatize my semi-ferals unnecessarily! And whoever heard of giving a stool sample directly from the cat's body? What's in the litter box is good enough!

carole
03-07-2004, 02:16 AM
Does seem a tad over the top to me as well, I only take Ash and Lexie for a yearly check-up unless something is wrong in between, they get checked over and their yearly vaccinations, however I do de-worm them both every 3 mths, as advised by the vet and on the worm packet, now I am wondering is this totally necessary, keep in mind mine are indoor/outdoor kitty's?

leslie flenner
03-07-2004, 04:36 PM
If they catch birds and mice- it is necessary. That's primarily where they get worms. and I've heard over and over that ALL kittens are born with worms- all kittens are automatically given Strongid. I had 3 kittens that I trapped behind a Caldor's that had great stools (albeit hard and black from eating bugs and sticks, etc) but had dry coughs. Turned out they had lung worm- very rare and the vet told me they don't really know much about lung worm re: how they get it but is likely from eating raw meat (birds from mom cat). They were treated successfully.
Eye worm intrigues me- it's apperently on the west coast and I haven't seen it or heard about it here on the east coast, thank goodness! Once, a friend of mine's rescued foster cat who she treated for tape worm, threw up the tape worm and she discovered it while we were on the phone chatting. She started yelling, "Oh Yuck! Gross! Ick! Gross!"etc. She said the tape worm was so large that the mouth was clearly visible- they hang on to the intestines with their mouths, so once dead, up they come!

carole
03-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info Leslie, I was under that impression too, unfortunately my two do catch some birds and fortunately mice, so I think the advice is warranted to de-worm them both every 3 mths.:)

tomkatzid
03-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Kelcee's vet wants to see her every 6 months too, but Kelcee is old. And she is in the first stages of kidney failure, so they want to do blood tests every 6 months too. She only gets shots that she would need if I had to board her in an emergency. Which would have to be the emergency of all emercencies to do that.
But its a small price to pay for her health. Not that they can do too much if she is getting worse. She is already on prescription food. I guess meds' might help. But for young healthy animals I would tell them of my concerns and mention that you spoke with other vets that did not advise this 6 mth treatment. Also ask if this is to be ongoing or just this time for the shot.
Katz

Twink
03-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your input and advice, everyone!! I really do appreciate it. The consensus seems to be about what I suspected, and now I can go into the vet's today with the confidence of knowing that I have consulted a group of true cat lovers, whose felines are happy and healthy.

I'm taking him in for the checkup today, and will bring a stool sample so that I can refuse the de-worming with a clear conscience. I'm also going to discontinue the one vaccine they were going to give him today. It's for kennel cough or some such thing, and it seems wholly unneccessary to me. The reason they gave it to him in the first place was that it was a preventive measure in case he should ever need to be around a lot of other cats...kenneled or an extended stay at the vet's or something. Well, we're not going to kennel him ever (lots of friends and relatives in town), and I'll take my chances with the other. He's healthy.

Deb, I would find all of this VERY irritating, too, except that I know this area of town too well. It's all middle class, with about 3/4 of the people trying HARD to convince the world that they're upper-class by spending, spending, spending!!! These are the sort of people who WANT to give their animals every vaccine in the book, b/c isn't the most expensive care the best? :rolleyes: The way I see it, this vet's office is just giving the people what they want. Other than being somewhat bossy and treatment-happy, I really do like them. They're VERY good with Rizzo, and when he was fixed they were very good with me. They called several times during the day to let me know how he was doing, they explained his recovery thoroughly, etc. That said, if they continue to try to guilt me once I make my wishes known, I *will* be looking for another cat doctor. :p

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how the visit goes. :)

sirrahbed
03-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Oh Twink - I ranted far too much I know! I just hate the guilt thing and pushing unneeded procedures that cause stress to the animals. I am GLAD that excellent care is there when needed. I hope my ranting did not make anything harder for you. I am sure they are good vets and just giving people what they want. You are right that many people think more is better. Take care!!! Hope the vet visit goes well today!!

Twink
03-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Oh Twink - I ranted far too much I know! I just hate the guilt thing and pushing unneeded procedures that cause stress to the animals. I am GLAD that excellent care is there when needed. I hope my ranting did not make anything harder for you. I am sure they are good vets and just giving people what they want. You are right that many people think more is better. Take care!!! Hope the vet visit goes well today!!

You can never rant too much! :D Actually, it helped me a lot to know that there are other people who A) hate the guilt thing and B) share my gut instincts about a GALLON of prevention being a bit too much! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't slandering my vet. :D Thanks for the help and good wishes.

You know what? If I worry this much when Rizzo's healthy, if he ever gets sick I'm afraid I'm going to be a raving lunatic! :D :rolleyes:

Twink
03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat

My dog is a different story, I would never be lax on her vaccinations. Even though she is a 10 pound house dog she thinks she's a huge guard dog and she attacks all the wild animals in our backyard. She actually bit a fox once.

Disney bit a fox?

*looks at pic of Disney*

A *fox?*

I think I'm impressed! Or amused. Or, possibly, both! :D Did the fox bite back, or did it run?

Barbara
03-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Amber, my parents dachshund, once bit a deer. A standard size dachshund.

The deer ran.:(

Twink
03-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Amber, my parents dachshund, once bit a deer. A standard size dachshund.

The deer ran.:(

Heh heh heh heh heh...*ahem* Poor deer. :)

What's funny is that most large dogs I've known, in the same situation, would run up and bark at the deer/fox/cow/whatever like crazy, but if the other animal made any move toward them, they'd run off whimpering!

catnapper
03-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Twink

What's funny is that most large dogs I've known, in the same situation, would run up and bark at the deer/fox/cow/whatever like crazy, but if the other animal made any move toward them, they'd run off whimpering!

LOL! You've got that right! Nicki's 100 pounds of pure wimp.

Poor deer... giggle. giggle

sirrahbed
03-08-2004, 09:28 AM

:D On the other hand - like the doxie - these little dogs seem to know no fear. My parents had toy poodles and chihauhaus who had no idea how tiny they were! They showed no fear whatsoever! Those little runts would take on anyone or anything!:D Ebony, the huge black lab we used to have was afraid of his tail.

Felicia's Mom
03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
My cats go to the vet once a year for a check up. Shots are all 3 year ones.

Kirsten
03-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Well, I agree with the others. 6 months sound strange to me, I think a health check up and deworming once a year is enough, and a stool sample only if necessary.

Kirsten

leslie flenner
03-08-2004, 09:27 PM
guess this should be a new thread but wanted to put in what I recently heard. Out here in the northeast, we are building more and more into the habitats of wildlife so every now and then you hear stories about coyotes eating cats, small dogs...
The most recent I heard from QueenScoopalot was that a pomeranian was let out on his back porch, and once he stepped off the porch, a pack of coyotes were waiting for him and, yes got him/killed him. These creatures (and I say "creatures" with love for them) are hungry scavengers. When we push out the small prey- they have nothing. A hundred years ago, they ate what wolves left behind, the food chain was balanced. Out here, we killed all the wolves by blasting their dens and building pits with spikes at the bottom. When an alpha went in the pit, the rest followed unknowingly.
So back on the topic- let us know how the vet visit goes!!!!

halliecat
03-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Twink,

How did the visit with the vet go? I think what they were asking for is over the top....That B-something vaccine is called a "boarder" vaccine. It is supposed to be used ONLY if you are boarding your pet somewhere. One vet I talked said she would not use it on her cat EVEN IF the cat was being boarded.

Hallie had all her kitten shots and was spayed all before she was 7 months old. She did not go back to the vet until she was a year old. She did have to have a rabies shot because it is required in this county.

What part of North Carolina are you in anyway? Send some your spending people this way!:)

ramanth
03-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Sounds like a penny-hungry vet to me!!!:rolleyes: If your kitty has had all of his 1st year vaccinations, then he should be plenty well for at least a year!!! In fact, they are warning against over vaccinating your cats now! If your kitty is indoors all the time, and especially around no other pets, then yearly vaccines aren't even necessary, PROVIDED he/she DID get ALL the 1st kitten shots and tested and vaccinated against Felv, and FIV! (Feline Leukemia and Aids)

Hope this helps!;)
Ditto. I too have heard about problems with over vaccinating.

Logan went in 6 months after his first set of shots for boosters, but now I only plan to take him yearly. Usually it's just for a yearly checkup and flea meds.

Every 6 months is nuts.

Twink
03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by halliecat
Twink,

How did the visit with the vet go? I think what they were asking for is over the top....That B-something vaccine is called a "boarder" vaccine. It is supposed to be used ONLY if you are boarding your pet somewhere. One vet I talked said she would not use it on her cat EVEN IF the cat was being boarded.

Hallie had all her kitten shots and was spayed all before she was 7 months old. She did not go back to the vet until she was a year old. She did have to have a rabies shot because it is required in this county.

What part of North Carolina are you in anyway? Send some your spending people this way!:)

Thanks for asking! And the answer is...I need an new vet. :rolleyes: I need to do a long rant....er, I mean, post....on that vet visit when I get the time. Rizzo's basically healthy. He has a runny nose. Which the dr. acted was like the end of the world. *I* have a runny nose. But that's beside the point. I don't think she's a moneygrubber any more. Now I just think she's wacky.

We're in Raleigh. Ah, Raleigh. Haven of yuppiedom on Earth!

:D Well, no, I guess THAT title would belong to Cary. I'd be happy to ship some of these people off, if you want 'em. ;) Are you in one of our fine state's more down-to-earth regions?

halliecat
03-10-2004, 03:13 PM
No, I'm just outside of Charlotte. Maybe there could be a contest for the haven of yuppiedom!

Fortunately, I do have a good vet!:) Maybe they know someone good up your way!

I think you need to rant....

Miss Meow
03-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Maybe you could get a friend to ring your vet on the pretence of asking for an appointment, and see what choices they give on that day. If it sounds like there are lots of appointment times available, it could be further proof that they're not busy and looking for business.

We take our cats in once a year for checkups and vaccinations, and buy a year's worth of worming and flea treatment at the same time. No need to take them back unless we think there's something wrong. I think elderly or other kitties with ongoing health issues should go more often, but otherwise, I think it's unnecessary to go in for the sake of it ... FWIW

Twink
03-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Maybe you could get a friend to ring your vet on the pretence of asking for an appointment, and see what choices they give on that day. If it sounds like there are lots of appointment times available, it could be further proof that they're not busy and looking for business.

You know, after talking with the vet (until now I've only dealt with techs and the assoc. vet, all of who are wonderful), if I found out that their appt. calendar was largely empty, I would NOT assume that they were trying to make up for poor business by recommending lots of treatment and visits. I would assume that their calendar was empty because they're (well, SHE'S) just WAY too treatment-happy and hysterical, and they've lost all their business. I'm going to try to write a long post about it today or tomorrow, 'cause I'd like to see if you are all as put-off as I was!

sirrahbed
03-11-2004, 06:33 AM
I'm going to try to write a long post about it today or tomorrow, 'cause I'd like to see if you are all as put-off as I was!
teehee I will look forward to hearing from you 1) maybe I will not feel silly for ranting 2) maybe we can gripe and rant together!!:D

Twink
03-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Oh, yes, ranting is neccessary and good. :D And the more the merrier!

So, when we got to the office, I told the receptionist that we didn't want the fecal done (I'd have brought a stool sample, but Rizz wasn't cooperating), and that we were going to pass on the de-worming and board-a-whatever vaccine. She wrote it all down, and then a tech came and weighed Rizzo and took his temperature (poor cat), etc. So far all was well. Like I said, I really like the staff at that office.

Sooooo, then the vet came in. I've never dealt with her (except over the phone the day Rizz was fixed) before. She plops down, reads the receptionist's notes, and starts talking about how she COULD argue with us on all points, but she'll let all of it go but the de-worming. And then she goes off on a very long tangent that begins with "I don't know if you know this, but I'm an integrated physician. That means that I don't believe in completely alleopathic medicine, but I'm not one of those quacks who is completely holistic either." And I thought, well, that's good. It's nice to keep an open mind and get the best solution out of all options available. But then she proceeded to go on and on and ON about what she meant, and started talking about what she does for HERSELF..."I'm on this supplement and that supplement and the other one, and I've been through detox for mercury..." All of this in a very brusque, self-important, bossy sort of tone. I glanced at my husband, who was standing there TRYING to keep his face noncommittal, but I could read the crinkle between his eyes like a book, and it said, "What a weirdo." Personally, I was just wondering what this had to do with my cat, and I was thinking that if she was trying to impress us...well, this wasn't the way to do it. And I *also* thought that someone who has to point out that they're not a quack three times in one speech more than likely has some, um, quackish tendencies. *cough*

Then she finally got back to the subject at hand and said that she really had to strongly advise against not de-worming Rizzo. Me (mildly): "Why is that?" Her (snippily): "Why is that? Because he wasn't sufficiently de-wormed as a kitten. My cats at home are de-wormed every three months, blah blah blah....(rest is severely paraphrased, since my memory's not THAT good)...parasite eggs can be brought inside on your shoes, and there's a new strand of tapeworm in the area, which is the fault of hunters up north driving foxes and wolves down here (?). If an animal contracts that type of tapeworm, exposure to it can be fatal to humans. Chew on THAT." She actually said, "chew on that." In a rather nasty tone of voice, I might add. I was seriously offended. (Oh, and I should break in here to point out that I am NOT easily offended or upset. I'm very laid-back and generally see the best of everyone and make excuses for things that can be perceived as faults. The fact that this woman managed to tick me off so thoroughly during a single office visit is quite telling.) For one, that was just rude. For another, why didn't she just go ahead and say, "Well, you obviously don't care about your cat, but maybe you'll care about yourselves." Because that's exactly what she was implying.

This speech did not sway us. But she looked at Rizzy's records and found that he's never been treated for tapeworms in particular. So, fine. We agreed to it. (later, as we were discussing his history and how he came to us, we mentioned that he had fleas when he showed up at my friend's doorstep. Her: "He had fleas? Well, then he has tapeworms." (snippily) He does not HAVE tapeworms. They've done two or three stool sample float tests on him there since we've had him, and they've all come back clean.)

On to the next issue! I think I'll save it for later and post this now so that it doesn't get completely exhausting.

:D (and thank you for allowing me to rant, all. I feel better already!)

ramanth
03-11-2004, 08:39 AM
:eek:

I'm sorry, but after her rant about worming him, I'd of picked up my cat and said, "Good Day." and let myself out.

:mad:

Twink
03-11-2004, 12:53 PM
The Rant--Part 2

:D

After the Great Worm Debate…..

At some point it came up in conversation that Rizz is easily put off his food if he’s stressed, like after a vet visit. To which the vet replied that we should socialize our next cat better…for future reference, because it was “too late for Rizzo.” Now, how many of you have cats that don’t get stressed at all by vet visits? Show of hands?

So then she did his exam, which all went ok, besides Rizz making a lot of very unhappy faces, until she shone a light in his face. At which point she said (in a tone that can only be called accusatory), “What’s up with his nose?” I said, “I don’t know. Is something up with his nose?” I wanted to add that SHE was the doctor, but didn’t. She said, “There’s some discharge here.” In a tone that made it clear that such a thing should NEVER be allowed to happen. I said, “Yeah?” and she said, “Do you want to look?” – not in a way that made it seem like an informative exercise, but rather like she thought I was saying I didn’t believe her. I looked, and sure enough my pooky had some nose crusties. “Huh,” I said. She asked questions: has he been sneezing? No. Coughing? No. She looked a minute longer and said, “It’s probably the herpes virus. It could also be (a b-word and a c-word, both of which I can pronounce but not spell, so I’m not trying :) ).” She did NOT say that it could be an allergy (cats get allergies, don’t they?), a cold, a minor irritation, or anything small, simple and unimportant. She did not say to keep and eye on it and let her know if it doesn’t go away within a few days. Nothing like that. Just, “It’s the herpes virus.”

She proceeded to tell us to buy some L-Lysine and powder it into some wet food for him every day, and then come back in about 8 weeks to see if he’s improved. She talked about herpes viruses in general, and all of the different forms they can take in both humans and cats. She explained the benefits of L-Lysine in bolstering the immune system, and then she said, “I take it for my herpes.” Now, I know she meant cold sores or something, but as irritated as I was by then, I needed some sort of catharsis, and that just did me in. I spent the next three minutes thinking “DON’T look at Seth; DON’T look at Seth…” because my sweetheart has a very immature and infectious sense of humor, and I knew that if I looked at him it was all over. I also couldn’t look at the vet, b/c I knew I was making faces at her without meaning to. So, I looked at Rizzo for the remainder of the appointment. Good thing he’s so great to look at!

So, that’s that. I made an appt. to bring him back in May so that she could look at his nose again, but don’t think I’m going to, unless it’s still a problem. Yesterday, we shone a flashlight in his face, and there were no nose crusties at all. The day before he sneezed a couple of times and his eyes were a little runny. I’m willing to bet that he was having some sort of reaction to sleeping in the open windowsill with his nose stuck in the wind all night a few nights ago.

Honestly, though, what do you guys think? Am I being too sensitive? The more I think back on the whole appointment, the madder it makes me. And you know what? If I had a suspicion that something MIGHT be wrong with Rizz…if his appetite dropped a bit or his runny eyes had kept on for more than a morning or something…I don’t think I would call this vet office to get an opinion. I don’t trust this lady. I’d be afraid that she’d drag Rizzo into the office, hang him by his back claws, administer twenty different shots and put him on three types of medication, just in case. You know? I really would like your opinions, though. Or failing that, I would simply like to thank you all for letting me get this off my chest!! I know it’s a couple of ridiculously long posts, and I won’t to it again. *is sheepish*

sirrahbed
03-11-2004, 02:44 PM
I have three healthy cats. I just inspected them all. Two have eye boogers and one has nose crusties. I am NOT going to rush them to the vet. My wacko health nut friend also uses L-lysine because she is SURE it prevents herpes and also takes megadoses of vitamin C to prevent colds. HER colds last only seven days while MY colds last an entire week! SHE also takes her pooch to a dog psychiatrist. MY neurotic and mistreated felines must simply suffer without a therapist because I obviously do not want the BEST for MY animals. OH! Emily sneezed. Sorry but I must rush her to the 24 hour vet care place!!! Oh wait, she just left her litter box where she frantically does litterbox patrol so I can relax....
Sorry - all tongue in cheek but this vet sounds like a total wacko. When care is needed, I am the first to rush out for it - BUT this is ultra preventative care pushed to an extreme and I could not stand the holier than thou Lazarus complex either. I HATE the guilt factor - so subtle. You will likely lay in bed tonight and break into a sweat wondering about those nose crusties - is it feline URI? hmm....Gizz is going to the box again - could it BE a tapeworm??? Am I a BAD Meowmie?

Oh, and I would also love to hear from any PT'er who has a pet who is NOT stressed by whitecoat visits. My RB Bert used to actually FAINT from fear. The vet finally told us to just keep him home (he was 17) unless absolutely necessary and spare him the trauma.

So, you had him treated for tapeworm right? You know, I would really be looking for another vet. This should be a *partnership* in healthcare for your animals - with your wishes and concerns respected. Mutual respect and partnership is not what this sounds like. Some people may need and want what this vet offers - but I personally could not stand it. The highest technology is not always the best. My very BEST vet was a little hole in the wall country vet in Nebraska. Treated horses, cows, dogs, cats, everything. One treatment room and he made housecalls! Common sense goes a long way - along with a dose of modern prevention.

I am done now:p :p

halliecat
03-11-2004, 03:38 PM
RUN...do not walk...the other way!

BTW Hallie does not like the vet either! The last time she went to the vet she was pretty hostile...and she is usually sweet with other people (someone new to play with!)

Sure you don't want to move a little west?:D

Miss Meow
03-11-2004, 03:56 PM
The Rant--Part 2

... and then she said, “I take it for my herpes.” :D

Way too much information :D

I think she's lost the plot, truly, totally, completely :eek:

QueenScoopalot
03-11-2004, 04:35 PM
It sure sounds like this vet is trying to overdose Rizzo on things! Granted tapeworms, though disgusting to look at, are the LEAST hazardous parasite a cat can contract. The "B" vaccine you refered to before is probably bordatella vaccine which in a shelter setting, or boarding facility is invaluable, but routine vaccination for this is absurd! I have dealt with many different shelters (as I do wayyyyy too much rescuing) and several shelters found that vaccinating cats & kittens for bordetella (similar to kennel cough in dogs) cuts way back on the U.R.I outbreaks. It certainly won't hurt Rizzo to get a tapeworm pill, but some of the other procedures this vet wants to do are a bit overboard in my opinion. Give Rizzo a noserub from my herd! :) Jan

Twink
03-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by halliecat

Sure you don't want to move a little west?:D

Actually, we would both looooove to get out of Raleigh. Seriously need a change of scenery. But I have a standing veto on the Charlotte area because it's too close to my in-laws. Don't get me wrong, I love my in-laws...but I refuse to live less than an hour away from either set of parents!

Anyway, I feel much better about this vet situation now. I feel like I can calmly get a new vet for Rizzo and any potential new cats (she said, crossing her fingers), without screaming at the old one or something. :D

Deb--THANK you for your co-rant! I had the exact same sort of snarky, sarcastic monologue going on in my head while I was talking to the vet, and it does my heart good to know that my reaction was normal!

Denyce
03-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Aw ....welll...I was going to say a word but it isn't nice for this forum.....not socialized because they are stressed at the vets....give me a FREAKING break!!! What a nut case this vet is. My Deirdre gets so stressed going to the vet that her blood sugar goes from the normal of about 60 at home to almost 300 at the vets!! I know this because a couple of times she has had to have a blood workup and it is always around 300 and my vet is worried so she has me take her blood sugar test at home (I am diabetic so I have the tester) and it is always around 60! And Deirdre is extremely well socialized for the highstrung cat she is. She allows strangers to pet her when they come over.

Just remember this...and I can't say this often enough.

Not every vet graduated from vet school with an A.

Denyce

Twink
03-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Denyce

Just remember this...and I can't say this often enough.

Not every vet graduated from vet school with an A.

Denyce

LOL *snicker* *chuckle*

Thanks, I think you just made my afternoon. :D :D

And thanks to everyone for replying and assuring me that my "maternal" instincts aren't all out-of-whack. It's really no fun to disagree with a vet. Especially since this is my very first kitty, and I don't want to break him!