PDA

View Full Version : great idea!!

RICHARD
03-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Fire crews get oxygen masks for hamsters

Firefighters in Florida are carrying oxygen masks for cats, dogs and even hamsters, to help save pets suffering from smoke inhalation.

Seminole County Fire Department has used public donations to equip crews with five sets of oxygen masks designed for animals.

Fire chief Terry Schenk told the Orlando Sentinel the idea came after watching TV news footage of efforts to revive a pet dog trapped in a blaze.

Fire Lieutenant John Rogers said: "When animals are stressed, they hide from us, big-time. Because they are small, smoke affects them worse and quicker than it does a human."

Each mask set costs $67 (£36). Firefighter Alan Harris said: "It's amazing how much trouble I had to go through to get these things."

Suppliers currently only sell to vets, who use the masks during animal surgery. The fire department solved the problem by ordering the masks through a local vet.

Firefighters say the masks will be mainly used to help pets overcome the effects of smoke, but they could also help animals caught up in water rescues.

Nomilynn
03-04-2004, 08:33 PM
This is so cool! How many people here have the rescue stickers visible to the yard? I really want to get some, but I've never seen any in a store, only online.

lovemyshiba
03-04-2004, 08:40 PM
That is a great idea!!

Nom--I have the rescue stickers, the ASPCA sent them to me.
I haven't seen them anywhere other than online either, but I wonder if you asked your local fire department, maybe they would have some?